BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Group --- FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2007-12-29 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1122000

User image

Subject: RE: owl_girl's Group --- FULL!

Bao, I didn't take it as discouraging. We're all learning here and one of the things I'm learning is the swimming is going to be a challenging as I fear. I'm using multiple strokes and pulling off half a mile is still work..which it's supposed to be, it just shows me how much I need to train.

My goal today is to go to the club, swim 1/2 mile, then spin for 45 minutes, then run 5 miles. I've got my 6 year old and no one to watch him this afternoon so it all has to be indoors at the club where they have day care.

I bought special shoes with the clips for spinning or cycling (with the right pedals).  

Owl, I think in an earlier post, you said you had once lived in Portland. Have you ever done Hood To Coast? 

2007-12-29 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1121498

User image

Mac, I don't know how big/small it has to be but I think it has to be somewhere around 80 pixels wide and 80 pixels high. If you click on Control Panel near the top left (just under the Beginner Triathlete logo, you;ll be taken to the page where you can do it. Scroll to the very bottom and you'll see the place to "upload profile image"
2007-12-29 3:33 PM
in reply to: #1092958

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Hey Rodney, I live across the river from you in Vancouver, WA! I have never done H2C, but have heard great things about it. I'm on a team for my first time in 2008! Since running is my weakest sport (I'll elaborate some other time on how much I used to despise running) I signed up for a bunch of running events to keep me working towards something.

Any chance that you are doing the First Run downtown on New Year's eve?
2007-12-29 6:17 PM
in reply to: #1122086

User image

I'm actually in Vancouver too. HTC is awesome. I've done it the last two years as part of the team for KINK radio. My HTC goal is to do it for 12 years, then retire. I say 12 years because there are 12 different legs and I want to do all 12.

I've not heard of First Run till you mentioned it. I think I'm going to sign up with my son. He's only 6 but has run several 1, 2 and 3k races. I'll post back here once a decision is made. If it turns out he'll be doing it with me, it will be more of a run/walk.

Back on HTC, it is important that you get an appropriate set of legs. Discuss this with your team Capitan so you, and everyone else gets legs approriate for the abilities and goals. The easiest sets start with legs 3 or 4. The hardest are 5, 1 and 9.  3 and 4 are the easiest because they are the shortest and for the most part, the flatest. 5 is the hardest because the third leg in that set (Leg 29 I think) is 5 miles up hill, followed by 2 miles downhill. Leg one is a solid 7 miles all downhill and Leg 9 is the longest total distance when you combine all three legs in the set. If you plan on staying the night in Seaside when the race is over book your rooms NOW. If your team needs to rent vans, do so NOW.

HTC is a blast. It's a party. Realize you're going to be in a van for around 24 hours with 6 of your closest friends who have each run about 15 miles broken up into three legs, haven't showered, and have lived off chocolate covered espresso beans and whatever other snacks you pack.  As the race nears, I can give you some other pointers as far as what to pack and what to leave home.

2007-12-29 6:28 PM

User image

Vancouver BC
I live in Vancouver too but Vancouver BC Canada.
here we polar bear swim new year day
my cast will be off by then so i think I will but not counting that as my swim.
Good Training every one

2007-12-29 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
thanks rod ill give it a look

2007-12-29 10:26 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

My head congestion is almost gone so I got out for my first WO since last Friday. I did a slow shorter run, but my shins hurt like heck! I basically ran today so that I could say I've passed 250 miles for the year. With todays run I am retiring my first pair of running shoes. I've got an easy biking session on the trainer stand planned for tomorrow so that I can also tick off 1800 miles biked. I'll get in one more swim session on Monday.

Baowolf, how far do you need to go for a pool? 

2007-12-29 10:40 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

Amy,

I don't think you've said why you are in a cast. Will you be needing PT when it comes off? Will you be OK to start training right away? I hope that your orthopedic doctor knows that you are planning to train for triathlon. 

2007-12-29 10:49 PM
in reply to: #1121498

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

mac3116 - 2007-12-28 10:39 PM how small does a picture have to be ? i cant get one one here everyone else has one and this thing wont let me

I think you need to figure on the file size being no larger than 100kb. I think the format needs to be gif or jpg. 

2007-12-30 7:54 AM
in reply to: #1122500

User image

Vancouver BC
I did say it a long story which it is but I will say one of my friends owes me big time and it for a medicail case study not beccuase my leg is hurt. I will therefore not need any thing when it comes off. well maybe a leg wax. hehe I will only have it on 14 days. my plan starts out really slow so I think it all be good. I am told that it will be just fine. I would have never agree to this 6 month ago had I realized I be at this point in my life right now but I did and I always try my best to live up to my promises.
Think the extra time has been good to to read and gain as much head knowledge that I can. For me the hardest I think is going to be not to over do it in the first few weeks, in the swim for sure since I love the water and can swim 100 meters in less then 4 minutes but I been told stay the plan and I will.

happy training everyone
2007-12-30 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

I just started reading Chirunning, and am really impressed so far. Has anyone else read this book or used its principles?

Rodney and Sarah, where would you recommend running in Portland? I'm going to be there for a week in a couple weeks and I'm familiar with the area, but relatively new to running so I don't know the good running spots.

Thanks,

Roni

2007-12-30 10:42 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Nicole, the closest pool is probably 100 to 150 miles. The swim is what will be holding me back in increasing distances. I may end up getting a swim spa, which will require an addition to the house and such and it is winter. Hopefully this summer I can get some swimming in.

The Marathon stick is pretty good for shin splints/ iso band (or whatever you call it) issues. Also using some strengthening by running in flats (or barefoot) that will help with running form that causes the shin splints and helps with strengthening parts of your foot and leg that will help you to not have shin splint problems. My 2 coppers for that, no expert here, just some stuff I read. I do 10 percent of my running in Fivefinger shoes to help with this.

Day off yay. Enjoy.
2007-12-30 11:31 AM
in reply to: #1122642

User image

Roni,

I'm actually across the river in Vancouver WA and the only time I run in Portland is during an organized event/race of some kind. I work on the west side of the river and most mornings I see people running along the Waterfront. There's probably a 3 or 4 mile stretch along the water and another 2 or 3 miles if you extend either direction a little where you should have clear running. Also, just about any runner you talk to during a run in that area would offer suggestions. If you want hills, ask someone how to get to Terwilliger.

In Vancouver, I just step out my door and start running. I've got about 6 different routes I run, everything from 3 miles to 15.

Edited by Rodney 2007-12-30 12:05 PM
2007-12-30 1:52 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Roni, tell me what water resevour you are using in your picture. It looks like a camelback alterra or flashflo. What one do you use, how many oz is it 28, 45? and how do you like it etc.? I am considering buyingone.

Edited by Baowolf 2007-12-30 5:15 PM
2007-12-30 2:42 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Hi Guys!

I've been trying to catch up on everything.  You are all so dedicated!  I LOVE IT!!!

Anyway, I know there was a question regarding bikes.  Steve and Nicole gave some very nice summaries on the types of bikes to buy.  In my opinion, start with a good road bike from a quality bike shop.  They will measure you and put you on a bike that you will have for years.  A good road bike will get you through any triathlon you wish to enter AND let you be competitive.  Throw some clip-on aerobars on it and you are good to go.  (A retired pro triathlete that I know here in town raced a road bike during his entire career.....and won!)  If you are very tall, a road bike may very well be more comfortable over long distance races, too.

As for me, I have had my road bike for a few years.  Old Blue is quite adequate for the rough roads and nasty weather of Humboldt County.  I bought a tri bike this past summer and I love her.  I'm able to go much faster and my legs feel wonderful going into the run.  I'm also shorter than average so the fit is much better.  I'm glad I have both bikes but I am glad I started with a road bike.

I hope everyone's weekend is going great!  I'll write more later.  Cheers!!!

2007-12-30 6:03 PM
in reply to: #1122033

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Rodney - 2007-12-29 12:17 PM

Bao, I didn't take it as discouraging. We're all learning here and one of the things I'm learning is the swimming is going to be a challenging as I fear. I'm using multiple strokes and pulling off half a mile is still work..which it's supposed to be, it just shows me how much I need to train.

My goal today is to go to the club, swim 1/2 mile, then spin for 45 minutes, then run 5 miles. I've got my 6 year old and no one to watch him this afternoon so it all has to be indoors at the club where they have day care.

I bought special shoes with the clips for spinning or cycling (with the right pedals).  

Owl, I think in an earlier post, you said you had once lived in Portland. Have you ever done Hood To Coast? 

I've never done Hood to Coast......but would love to someday!

2007-12-30 6:07 PM
in reply to: #1122625

User image

Elite
far northern CA

princessamy - 2007-12-30 5:54 AM I did say it a long story which it is but I will say one of my friends owes me big time and it for a medicail case study not beccuase my leg is hurt. I will therefore not need any thing when it comes off. well maybe a leg wax. hehe I will only have it on 14 days. my plan starts out really slow so I think it all be good. I am told that it will be just fine. I would have never agree to this 6 month ago had I realized I be at this point in my life right now but I did and I always try my best to live up to my promises. Think the extra time has been good to to read and gain as much head knowledge that I can. For me the hardest I think is going to be not to over do it in the first few weeks, in the swim for sure since I love the water and can swim 100 meters in less then 4 minutes but I been told stay the plan and I will. happy training everyone

Yes Amy!  Please get the go ahead from your doctor.  If they say yes, then keep to your program.  Swimming is so wonderful!  Well, as long as you don't have a cast!

2007-12-30 6:09 PM
in reply to: #1122642

User image

Elite
far northern CA
ronislye - 2007-12-30 6:18 AM

I just started reading Chirunning, and am really impressed so far. Has anyone else read this book or used its principles?

Rodney and Sarah, where would you recommend running in Portland? I'm going to be there for a week in a couple weeks and I'm familiar with the area, but relatively new to running so I don't know the good running spots.

Thanks,

Roni

I've never read the book before but have heard some good stuff about it.  Please let us know how it is working for you!

2007-12-30 6:23 PM
in reply to: #1120799

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Rodney - 2007-12-28 12:37 PM

Plan...hmm, first would be to find out what I've got myself into. I guess I can start by asking a simple question for a newbie.  What is a "Sprint" Triathlon?

I read in an earlier post what a "brick" is. Should transitions be done only in the order of the events in a Tri, or is it OK to mix them up?

Wet suits...  are there limitations to how thick they can be? As an avid Scuba Diver, I have suits with different thicknesses. Thicker makes you more boyant. Is this an advantage or disadvantage when swimming?

Cycling... Shoes, cleats, pedals, etc. I thought I could just get on my bike and ride. In a spinning class I took last night, they suggested getting shoes and cleats. OK, makes sense. So that raises the question, Road Shoes or Mountain Shoes? When it stops raining, I'll get on the road, but untill then, it's spinning classes. Unfortuantley, the spinning class equiptment doesn't tell me how "far" I've gone.

Since I don't have a full Iron Man date/race selected yet, I'm going to select a few races as part of my training. Longer runs will be Phukett Marathon in June, Hood To Coast in August, Portland Marathon in August and Honolulu Marathon in December. Mixed in with these will be several shorter races and maybe a half. I hope to find a few non-Iron Man tri's in my area with the goal of possibly doing the Phoenix Iron Man in 09.

I need to work on my swimming. Did 1/4 mile last night, could have done much more, but felt it the next day. Technique is a weak point here. I need to work on kicking and breathing.

I'd like some input on eating before some of the more intense training sessions.

Lastly, how do I get one of those little photo icons all of you have? 

Thanks,

Rodney

As a Spinning instructor, I would love to see all my students get some mountain bike shoes with SPD cleats.  Mountain bike shoes are easy to walk in and can be purchased relatively cheaply if you shop around.

For road cycling, I would opt for road shoes which are lighter weight, have velcro closures (rather than laces), and have very, very stiff soles.  Road shoe cleats must match your pedals.  The two most common types are SPD and LOOK.  They are NOT interchangable.

And just to make things more confusing......you can also buy triathlon cycling shoes!  There are only one or two velcro closures and they close backwards so they don't get caught in your chain if you are coordinated enough to leave your shoes clipped into the pedals and jump on and off your bike barefoot!

Hope this helps you.  Maybe it just muddied the water more!  Triathlon does have an evil sister.......shopping!

2007-12-30 8:22 PM
in reply to: #1122758

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

Baowolf - 2007-12-30 11:42 AM Nicole, the closest pool is probably 100 to 150 miles. The swim is what will be holding me back in increasing distances. I may end up getting a swim spa, which will require an addition to the house and such and it is winter. Hopefully this summer I can get some swimming in.

Do you have access to open water for swimming? An addition to the house for a pool is pretty radical. Are you thinking about one of those "endless lane" things or straps? 

2007-12-30 8:27 PM
in reply to: #1123141

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
owl_girl - 2007-12-30 7:23 PM

Cycling... Shoes, cleats, pedals, etc. I thought I could just get on my bike and ride. In a spinning class I took last night, they suggested getting shoes and cleats. OK, makes sense. So that raises the question, Road Shoes or Mountain Shoes?

Thanks,

Rodney

As a Spinning instructor, I would love to see all my students get some mountain bike shoes with SPD cleats. Mountain bike shoes are easy to walk in and can be purchased relatively cheaply if you shop around.

For road cycling, I would opt for road shoes which are lighter weight, have velcro closures (rather than laces), and have very, very stiff soles. Road shoe cleats must match your pedals. The two most common types are SPD and LOOK. They are NOT interchangable.

And just to make things more confusing......you can also buy triathlon cycling shoes! There are only one or two velcro closures and they close backwards so they don't get caught in your chain if you are coordinated enough to leave your shoes clipped into the pedals and jump on and off your bike barefoot!

Hope this helps you. Maybe it just muddied the water more! Triathlon does have an evil sister.......shopping!

I started riding in mountain shoes because I like the idea of being able to walk in them. When I got more serious about speed, etc, I found some Diadora shoes that are built exactly like road shoes, with fully stiff soles and velcro closures, but that have a "rim" and heel that make them walkable. So, I'm still using mountain pedals with spd cleats. As far as I'm concerned I've got the best of both worlds. 

2007-12-30 8:51 PM
in reply to: #1123338

User image

Elite
far northern CA
MDHillSlug - 2007-12-30 6:27 PM
owl_girl - 2007-12-30 7:23 PM

Cycling... Shoes, cleats, pedals, etc. I thought I could just get on my bike and ride. In a spinning class I took last night, they suggested getting shoes and cleats. OK, makes sense. So that raises the question, Road Shoes or Mountain Shoes?

Thanks,

Rodney

As a Spinning instructor, I would love to see all my students get some mountain bike shoes with SPD cleats. Mountain bike shoes are easy to walk in and can be purchased relatively cheaply if you shop around.

For road cycling, I would opt for road shoes which are lighter weight, have velcro closures (rather than laces), and have very, very stiff soles. Road shoe cleats must match your pedals. The two most common types are SPD and LOOK. They are NOT interchangable.

And just to make things more confusing......you can also buy triathlon cycling shoes! There are only one or two velcro closures and they close backwards so they don't get caught in your chain if you are coordinated enough to leave your shoes clipped into the pedals and jump on and off your bike barefoot!

Hope this helps you. Maybe it just muddied the water more! Triathlon does have an evil sister.......shopping!

I started riding in mountain shoes because I like the idea of being able to walk in them. When I got more serious about speed, etc, I found some Diadora shoes that are built exactly like road shoes, with fully stiff soles and velcro closures, but that have a "rim" and heel that make them walkable. So, I'm still using mountain pedals with spd cleats. As far as I'm concerned I've got the best of both worlds. 

Those shoes sound pretty cool!  I'm going to look them up!  Yes, road shoes are a pain in the butt (literally) to walk in.  I've slipped and fallen on my rear too many times.  I sure love my road shoes, though.

Had a good run today.  It was really pretty out!

2007-12-30 9:24 PM
in reply to: #1123399

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
owl_girl - 2007-12-30 9:51 PM
MDHillSlug - 2007-12-30 6:27 PM

Those shoes sound pretty cool! I'm going to look them up! Yes, road shoes are a pain in the butt (literally) to walk in. I've slipped and fallen on my rear too many times. I sure love my road shoes, though.

Had a good run today. It was really pretty out!

Diadora Astro. They make basically the exact same shoe as a road or a mtb version. 

2007-12-30 9:31 PM
in reply to: #1123399

User image

My wife and I bought Triathlon shoes with SPD cleats for spinning classes. The bottoms of the shoes also have slots for getting the cleats for pedals.

Did my first half mile swim today. Do you guys use those nose plug things? Water keeps getting up my nose as I swim longer distances. I guess my so so form becomes poor form and I inhale through my nose when I shouldn't.  I also started getting cramps in my feet and legs as the distance increased. Any thoughts on a solution?

Thanks 

2007-12-30 9:41 PM
in reply to: #1123493

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Rodney - 2007-12-30 10:31 PM

My wife and I bought Triathlon shoes with SPD cleats for spinning classes. The bottoms of the shoes also have slots for getting the cleats for pedals.

Did my first half mile swim today. Do you guys use those nose plug things? Water keeps getting up my nose as I swim longer distances. I guess my so so form becomes poor form and I inhale through my nose when I shouldn't. I also started getting cramps in my feet and legs as the distance increased. Any thoughts on a solution?

Thanks

I exahale through my nose underwater during my stroke.

Are you trying to do your swimming as one continuous swim, or as sets or less distance? Try to increase your total distance, and your distance per set, slowly. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Group --- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 40