BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-03-03 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4549087

User image

Expert
Ontario
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED

Time for some ramblings from me.

First I'd like to thank judi for the almost daily inspires, even when I've gone days logging nothing.

The first  2 months of this year have been a write off as far as any kind of training - I've been sick twice, for 3 weeks the first time and 2 weeks the second.  The main problem was fatigue, I had no energy to do anything.  Feeling back to normal now except having random episodes where I get hit for a few hours with cold symptoms, mosting sinus congestion, which then resolve as quickly as they appeared.  It happened friday night at work and lasted about four hours then was gone.  Weird.

Didn't do well with my Feb goals, the only one I met was setting the bike up on the trainer.  So for March I am not setting any goals or planning any training.  When I plan training ahead of time and then miss a session I feel bad.  Instead my only  goal is  to do something on most days.  This year instead of planning races and then training to be ready for them I'm going to run, bike and swim when I feel like it, build my fitness up slowly, do some hiking and yoga and strength training, and if see a race that I want to try and feel I have the fitness to do it THEN I will sign up for it.  No pressure to HAVE to train, instead do the things I like and just be healthy.  There are lots of local races near me and most never sell out so I can pretty much sign up last minute for any of them. 

2013-03-03 7:34 AM
in reply to: #4644089

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED
cathyd - 2013-03-03 8:16 AM

First I'd like to thank judi for the almost daily inspires, even when I've gone days logging nothing.

The first  2 months of this year have been a write off as far as any kind of training - I've been sick twice, for 3 weeks the first time and 2 weeks the second.  The main problem was fatigue, I had no energy to do anything.  Feeling back to normal now except having random episodes where I get hit for a few hours with cold symptoms, mosting sinus congestion, which then resolve as quickly as they appeared.  It happened friday night at work and lasted about four hours then was gone.  Weird.

Didn't do well with my Feb goals, the only one I met was setting the bike up on the trainer.  So for March I am not setting any goals or planning any training.  When I plan training ahead of time and then miss a session I feel bad.  Instead my only  goal is  to do something on most days.  This year instead of planning races and then training to be ready for them I'm going to run, bike and swim when I feel like it, build my fitness up slowly, do some hiking and yoga and strength training, and if see a race that I want to try and feel I have the fitness to do it THEN I will sign up for it.  No pressure to HAVE to train, instead do the things I like and just be healthy.  There are lots of local races near me and most never sell out so I can pretty much sign up last minute for any of them. 

Cathy, 

I like your thought process.  Accepting where you are at and doing what you can to build/ maintain fitness is a great plan.  

Hope you feel better soon.  I was really sick a few years ago with a bad asthma flare.  I would feel better and get back at it then flare again.  My Dr made me do NO cardiac workouts for about 3 weeks to allow the lungs to heal.  Mentally it was a tough 3 weeks for me....but when I got back to it I didn't relapse again.  Sadly just a month or 2 later I tore my gastrocs and was out for all but swimming for the next 8 months. (10 months of PT total)

2013-03-03 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4644089

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
cathyd - 2013-03-03 1:16 PM

Cathy - I think you've made a wise decision not to put too much pressure on yourself for goals.  One of the things I've learned about myself during this process is that if I write down a training plan it's almost guaranteed to fail.  However, if I work it out in my head and allow myself the flexibility to move things around as needed, I mostly land up doing what I'd planned with a lot more success.

As suggestion for how you could give yourself something to aim for without the pressure of a "plan": in my mentor group last year we had monthly challenges, and the one I liked the best was the "30 minute" challenge.  The idea was that you got a point for each day of the month that you got in 30 minutes of training.  It didn't matter how hard or what type of training, you just had to do something.  I found it was a really good way of developing some consistency.  30 minutes is do-able most days, and the fact that you can do whatever you feel like makes it easier.  Just a suggestion...

2013-03-03 10:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Thanks to everyone for your insights on my question about training with my Dad.  It's been really interesting to get a variety of attitudes and opinions.  I think it's also given me some thoughts about what's most important to me.

I think I'm going to aim for a bit of balance.  I'd like to continue to cycle with my Dad sometimes (it was never going to be a huge amount - I have different days off each week, and he's not always available), but I've always been aware that the closer I get to the race the less likely it is to happen.  I really want to encourage him to get out when I can, especially as I've convinced him to do a race this year.

Fred - I like the idea of getting him on the road bike and me on the mountain bike.  He has an old road bike which he wants to get sorted for the race, so I'll see if I can encourage him to get it back up and running sooner rather than later.

I guess when it comes down to it, what I'm looking for out of all of this is steady improvement, but mostly enjoying the process.  Last year when we had enough money for EITHER entering IM or going on a ski holiday, I surprised my husband by choosing to enter IM.  My reasoning was that while I love skiing, we'd get a week of enjoyment out of that, whereas entering IM would give me 6 months of enjoyment during the training process.  But the key word there was enjoyment.  I'm in this for the long haul, so I want to enjoy it. 

But of course if I had the option of being competitive, who knows how I would feel about it.

2013-03-03 1:26 PM

User image

Elite
washington state

March goals:  about a 10% increase in run & swim plus a little more for a longer month.

Run: 8 sessions totaling 38 miles

Swim: 4 sessions totaling 5000 yards

Workouts:  22 sessions.  I also will do planks every other day and stretching daily, but they don't count as workout sessions.

Weight:  current is 143.  Weigh 140 by March 18th and then maintain that loss ( or even better, of course) thru the end of the month.

Smile

Edited by deehtz 2013-03-03 11:28 PM
2013-03-04 12:38 AM

User image

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share my race report on my first regular order triathlon yesterday. So after I snuck in a race distance ows swim Friday, I loaded up the car and then finished packing for an overnight camping trip we were headed to immediately after the race. My wife ended up scheduling her oral surgery appt that morning as well (those annoying wizzies) so picked her up and her prescriptions and left for the desert. Checked in the hotel, made sure she was still alive and left for the venue, Lake Cahuilla in La Quinta. I was able to make it just in time for the one hour open swim. Besides being HOT like in the 90s, the lake itself was pretty small, clean and est temp was about 62. I did a few practice swims to a few buoys and left early to take care of my patient =).  Since she was limited on what she could eat, we ended up just getting some take out and spent a quiet and restful evening at hotel... which is pretty rare in our household.

I got up around 430am and had the usual banana and bagel with peanut butter. I got to the venue a little after the transition areas opened and was the first person in my rack assignment so I was able to set up in the front.  I had some time to kill so I got marked, took a couple pictures and walked around the lake to go over the swim course. Temp was in the low 50s but I could see the sun rising and the announcer reminded the participants to make sure we were hydrated. I chatted with the nurse on duty who shared how someone almost drowned last year and how many participants suffered from dehydration... just great. I sipped on a bottle of heed sports drink, use the restroom a few times and suited up about a half an hour before race time.  I slurped up a GU and took a dip in the water along with a bunch of other participants for about 15minutes until about 5 minutes before the first wave start....I was to start in the 2nd wave 3 minutes after though it felt like 3 seconds. I try to position myself near the back but ended up somewhere in the middle as our wave numbered  about 90 competitors out of 565 that day.  As I waited, I went through my swim teacher's tips on completing the swim portion...esp for my first open water swim.

As I heard the countdown to start, many racers sprinted to the lake while many, like me, walked or jogged in the lake.  Once I got to about waist deep, I dove in and started swimming. As in my practice open water swims, I sighted every 10 strokes as we had to swim to around 3 buoys to our left.  There was some rubbing along the way but no real issues from inadvertent kicks or dunks...likely due to the wave starts. The swim portion actually went rather quickly as I stayed true to my pace and didn't have to do change directions too much...I felt pretty comfortable..almost =).  Before I knew it, I could see the ground so stood up and started running to the finish area then into T1.  I definitely benefited from being a beginner in a wetsuit.  The swim portion was officially about 550meters...I would have been content with under 15minutes, happy with under 10min but my official time ended up being 8.24...pleasantly surprised =)  

T1 was a bit slow at 3.22 since I had to put on socks and change to my bike shoes. I have a Desoto 2 piece so I was able to take my wetsuit off pretty quickly. Put the helmet on, a few sips of my Heed drink and off to the bike portion.  The mounting area was a bit of an incline which they had warned us about but was able to snap in pretty smoothly.  The bike route was one loop 14 miles in length with no aid stations. The course was pretty flat but the temp was already in the low 80s. My bike ride was uneventful though I began to wish I had a tri bike (down the road after a few more races). I finished the course in 44.54 which was a 18.7 pace, an improvement from my sprint last weekend. 

T2 was faster at 2.07 as I just had to change my shoes, put on my visor and bib belt. Even at only 830am, the sun was beating on us and temp was probably close to the upper 80s. I made sure to take some extra sips of Heed during the bike portion and even remembered to shift to a high gear to loosen up my legs for the run.  Run was a bit tough for me just to the heat and just not used to running sprint pace runs yet though I tried to push it a bit. The run portion had 2 stations which I stopped at and starts off in dirt for the first 1/2 mile then the rest around the lake.  I noticed about 6 guys in my age group (age marked on our left calf) run past me and reminded myself that I should start working on some run speed work =)  I didn't get the official times til earlier today...likely as the International distance went on today.  I was also pleasantly surprised to run my 3 miles in 29.43, the first time I've hit single digits in a run race...2 minutes faster then last weekend, though I felt slower this time. 

Overall I placed a little better then the middle overall and 22nd out of 32 in my age group at 1.28.30 which I have to say I am very content with. It was only a minute and 24 seconds slower then last weekend's race which was an easier course with a much shorter pool swim. I'm the happiest with just getting my first open water swim out of the way with no panic attacks and a faster then expected swim time. I plan to continue to include a few water open sessions each month and plan on joining a few tri friends and their training group for weekly ocean swims as well. Did I mention I wish I had a tri bike ? lol 

To finish the weekend, I picked up my wife and drove the 2 hours back home, pick up my older 2 boys and went to an overnight local beach camping trip with 5 other families. Weather was perfect for this time of year and we had a blast though the adults didn't get much sleep. I am a bit more sore then last weekend and I have to say I kind of prefer the regular order tri then the reverse....nice to get the swim portion out of the way =)   Thanks again everyone for the encouragement !  I plan on doing an easy swim session tomorrow and start up the training again for my first oly distance tri in mid May.  Have a great week !  Btw, the first picture is right before the start of the tri, the second picture is at the beach camping site =)

(IMG_0438.jpg)

(IMG_0495.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0438.jpg (21KB - 2 downloads)
IMG_0495.jpg (24KB - 0 downloads)

2013-03-04 12:52 AM
in reply to: #4643618

User image

UTTriman - 2013-03-02 4:12 PM
Tri2Smile - 2013-03-01 12:22 PM Perhaps we can start this Monday, do a weekly weigh in on Fridays and do the final weigh in on Friday, March 29... winner based on % of pounds lost... I need to lose a ton too...I do okay once motivated but need to turn on that switch soon...long term goal is about 20-25 pounds for me.. Anyone else interested ?

I'm in -- and I think that Chapfallen want's in as well.

Should we just report on ther forum here? 

Thanks for the idea!  I need some motivation in the weight dept.

STARTING WEIGHT:  3/1/2013 -- 215

I have UTTriman, Chapfallen, Queenzip and norcal SAHD interested in the weight loss challenge. Please confirm your participation and if you are, submit your starting weight as of March 1. Should we do weekly weigh ins every Monday am and do the final weigh in April 1 ?  So far I have:

UTTriman: 215

Queenzip: 146

Tri2Smile: 187

I plan to just work on portion control, cut back on the bad carbs, sugar and alcohol and give myself 2 cheat meals per week =) Just like my tri training, I am hoping we can give each other some accountability and encouragement. I need it.   Good luck everyone !

2013-03-04 6:39 AM
in reply to: #4644902

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-03-04 6:40 AM
in reply to: #4644899

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-03-04 7:00 AM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Great race!!  I would love a day to be surprised at a faster swim
2013-03-04 7:10 AM

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Tri2Smile - 2013-03-04 1:52 AM
Tri2Smile - 2013-03-01 12:22 PM Perhaps we can start this Monday, do a weekly weigh in on Fridays and do the final weigh in on Friday, March 29... winner based on % of pounds lost... I need to lose a ton too...I do okay once motivated but need to turn on that switch soon...long term goal is about 20-25 pounds for me.. Anyone else interested ?

I have UTTriman, Chapfallen, Queenzip and norcal SAHD interested in the weight loss challenge. Please confirm your participation and if you are, submit your starting weight as of March 1. Should we do weekly weigh ins every Monday am and do the final weigh in April 1 ?  So far I have:

I plan to just work on portion control, cut back on the bad carbs, sugar and alcohol and give myself 2 cheat meals per week =) Just like my tri training, I am hoping we can give each other some accountability and encouragement. I need it.   Good luck everyone !

I'd like in on this too please.  I'm currently at 274.  One of my March goals is to check into BT everyday and put something up, good or bad, and this should help immensely.  Even with a funny farm around me, I can control what I eat.

2013-03-04 7:11 AM

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Tri2Smile - 2013-03-04 1:38 AM

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share my race report on my first regular order triathlon yesterday. So after I snuck in a race distance ows swim Friday, I loaded up the car and then finished packing for an overnight camping trip we were headed to immediately after the race. My wife ended up scheduling her oral surgery appt that morning as well (those annoying wizzies) so picked her up and her prescriptions and left for the desert. Checked in the hotel, made sure she was still alive and left for the venue, Lake Cahuilla in La Quinta. I was able to make it just in time for the one hour open swim. Besides being HOT like in the 90s, the lake itself was pretty small, clean and est temp was about 62. I did a few practice swims to a few buoys and left early to take care of my patient =).  Since she was limited on what she could eat, we ended up just getting some take out and spent a quiet and restful evening at hotel... which is pretty rare in our household.

I got up around 430am and had the usual banana and bagel with peanut butter. I got to the venue a little after the transition areas opened and was the first person in my rack assignment so I was able to set up in the front.  I had some time to kill so I got marked, took a couple pictures and walked around the lake to go over the swim course. Temp was in the low 50s but I could see the sun rising and the announcer reminded the participants to make sure we were hydrated. I chatted with the nurse on duty who shared how someone almost drowned last year and how many participants suffered from dehydration... just great. I sipped on a bottle of heed sports drink, use the restroom a few times and suited up about a half an hour before race time.  I slurped up a GU and took a dip in the water along with a bunch of other participants for about 15minutes until about 5 minutes before the first wave start....I was to start in the 2nd wave 3 minutes after though it felt like 3 seconds. I try to position myself near the back but ended up somewhere in the middle as our wave numbered  about 90 competitors out of 565 that day.  As I waited, I went through my swim teacher's tips on completing the swim portion...esp for my first open water swim.

As I heard the countdown to start, many racers sprinted to the lake while many, like me, walked or jogged in the lake.  Once I got to about waist deep, I dove in and started swimming. As in my practice open water swims, I sighted every 10 strokes as we had to swim to around 3 buoys to our left.  There was some rubbing along the way but no real issues from inadvertent kicks or dunks...likely due to the wave starts. The swim portion actually went rather quickly as I stayed true to my pace and didn't have to do change directions too much...I felt pretty comfortable..almost =).  Before I knew it, I could see the ground so stood up and started running to the finish area then into T1.  I definitely benefited from being a beginner in a wetsuit.  The swim portion was officially about 550meters...I would have been content with under 15minutes, happy with under 10min but my official time ended up being 8.24...pleasantly surprised =)  

T1 was a bit slow at 3.22 since I had to put on socks and change to my bike shoes. I have a Desoto 2 piece so I was able to take my wetsuit off pretty quickly. Put the helmet on, a few sips of my Heed drink and off to the bike portion.  The mounting area was a bit of an incline which they had warned us about but was able to snap in pretty smoothly.  The bike route was one loop 14 miles in length with no aid stations. The course was pretty flat but the temp was already in the low 80s. My bike ride was uneventful though I began to wish I had a tri bike (down the road after a few more races). I finished the course in 44.54 which was a 18.7 pace, an improvement from my sprint last weekend. 

T2 was faster at 2.07 as I just had to change my shoes, put on my visor and bib belt. Even at only 830am, the sun was beating on us and temp was probably close to the upper 80s. I made sure to take some extra sips of Heed during the bike portion and even remembered to shift to a high gear to loosen up my legs for the run.  Run was a bit tough for me just to the heat and just not used to running sprint pace runs yet though I tried to push it a bit. The run portion had 2 stations which I stopped at and starts off in dirt for the first 1/2 mile then the rest around the lake.  I noticed about 6 guys in my age group (age marked on our left calf) run past me and reminded myself that I should start working on some run speed work =)  I didn't get the official times til earlier today...likely as the International distance went on today.  I was also pleasantly surprised to run my 3 miles in 29.43, the first time I've hit single digits in a run race...2 minutes faster then last weekend, though I felt slower this time. 

Overall I placed a little better then the middle overall and 22nd out of 32 in my age group at 1.28.30 which I have to say I am very content with. It was only a minute and 24 seconds slower then last weekend's race which was an easier course with a much shorter pool swim. I'm the happiest with just getting my first open water swim out of the way with no panic attacks and a faster then expected swim time. I plan to continue to include a few water open sessions each month and plan on joining a few tri friends and their training group for weekly ocean swims as well. Did I mention I wish I had a tri bike ? lol 

To finish the weekend, I picked up my wife and drove the 2 hours back home, pick up my older 2 boys and went to an overnight local beach camping trip with 5 other families. Weather was perfect for this time of year and we had a blast though the adults didn't get much sleep. I am a bit more sore then last weekend and I have to say I kind of prefer the regular order tri then the reverse....nice to get the swim portion out of the way =)   Thanks again everyone for the encouragement !  I plan on doing an easy swim session tomorrow and start up the training again for my first oly distance tri in mid May.  Have a great week !  Btw, the first picture is right before the start of the tri, the second picture is at the beach camping site =)

Very cool!  Congrats on the race and the accomplishment!!

2013-03-04 7:40 AM

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...

Put me in! Starting weight 3/1 - 158.6
Goal for 4/1 - sub-155

Can I move my weekly weigh in to Tuesday or Wednesday? I'm always heavy on Monday after my long run over the weekend.
2013-03-04 7:42 AM

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Had a great 10+ mile run yesterday - no knee pain and on pace to go sub-2:30 half mary. Not that I expect that in a couple weeks, since I'm doing a trail 1/2, but I'm figuring by this fall, I should be able to hit that goal for this year.

And I dragged my sorry self out of bed this am for a 5am swim! Yeah me. No masters this week due to scheduling conflicts and travelling towards the end of the week. This is my first challenge with travel & training since I got serious again this spring...let's see how that works out for me.

(Assuming I can travel, since I'm supposed to leave Wednesday, right as the big old snow storm appears on the east coast...)
2013-03-04 8:27 AM

Carbondale, Illinois

Morning All!

Great job on the race!  I love your report.

I had what I thought was a great run this morning...3.44miles.  I took a different route than normal, one that was a lot hillier than my normal route, and so my time suffered (quite a bit, I think).  I'm up to running 3 and walking 1min intervals.  I'm taking things slow after reading so much about it taking upwards of 6months or more to get used to running.  I'd love to see more x-rays of my bones, but not as part of a rehab adventure!  After my run I did one of my new yoga programs (Pocket Yoga app), which I didn't know when I chose it was only 7minutes long.  Doesn't count in my book toward my three times per week goal, so hopefully I'll get another longer yoga session in later this evening after work.

Hope everyone has a great Monday!

g

2013-03-04 8:58 AM

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Tri2Smile - 2013-03-04 12:52 AM

Sure why not?  I'm not looking to lose a ton, but should be fun.  I'm at 172 right now.

2013-03-04 9:14 AM

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the kind words !!!

My bed won this morning. I was extra tired and sore today likely due more to the camping trip so skipped my workout this morning. Hope to get my swim session in during my lunch break if my schedule allows it .

I hope I didn't include or add anyone I wasn't supposed to for the weight loss challenge =). Please let me know. Does everyone mind if we do our weekly weigh ins on Fridays and end the challenge on March 29th ? Weekdays are a bit crazy for me and I have a bit more time to update the results over the weekend. I'll admit that Monday weigh ins would be hard for me and I prefer my cheat meals over the weekend =), but I'm open to majority vote.  If we keep this way, I just ask everyone to submit their weight every Friday before 12pm with the first weigh in this Friday.  I'll update the date and results by Monday. Does the winner get a virtual online BT medal ?  =)

Good luck and thanks for participating ! I don't want to be the first triathlete to gain weight even with consistent training, lol.   Have a great week !

Fred D and Queen Zip’s Weight Loss Challenge ending in 3/ /2013

Contestant         Starting Weight   Current Weight   Pounds Lost   Percentage  Goal                                                                                                                                                  

QueenZip                     146                                                                                  140

UTTriman                      215                                                                                  205

Tri2Smile                      187                                                                                   177

Sulcus                          274                                                                                   264

enders shadow            158.6                                                                                155

japewang                     172

Fred D                           TBD

norcal SAHD                  198                                                                                   188

chapfallen                     TBD

cathyd                          141                                                                                   135

deehtz                          143                                                                                   139

Edited by Tri2Smile 2013-03-04 2:53 PM
2013-03-04 9:47 AM

Master
Orlando
Tri2Smile - 2013-03-04 12:38 AM

Hi Everyone,

What a great race, congrats! Great pics too
2013-03-04 11:25 AM

Expert

i got my butt kicked by the flu this weekend...  On the upside, i didn't really eat any food yesterday so I had a real good monday morning weigh in. Smile

I'm in for the weight loss challenge, my official weight on 3/1 was 198lb.

2013-03-04 11:44 AM

Expert
Ontario

6I'll get in on this - 141 this morning, goal 135 by april 1
2013-03-04 12:25 PM

Elite
washington state

I finally registered for an event in June.  It is a 10k.  I won't be at all competitive except with myself!  It is on packed sand along the ocean, so no matter what I will enjoy myself!Smile

I hope I can do a tri in late summer, but that will depend on me getting back together with my bike.  We have some differences that we have to work out.  Undecided

2013-03-04 12:28 PM

Elite
washington state
I'll join in the weight challenge.  Current is 143.   My goal will be 139.
2013-03-04 1:08 PM

Hello. I'll wait til tonight to add everybody else  to the weight loss challenge =)
2013-03-04 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4645564

Expert
norcal_SAHD - 2013-03-04 9:25 AM

OK, that is my start weight.  Looks like everyone is putting a goal weight out there too, so I'll do that.  I'll say 2lb/week, plus a little extra just because, and call it an even 10 pounds.  Goal weight 188 by April 1.  

2013-03-04 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4645796

Expert
Douglaston, NY
norcal_SAHD - 2013-03-04 2:15 PM
norcal_SAHD - 2013-03-04 9:25 AM

OK, that is my start weight.  Looks like everyone is putting a goal weight out there too, so I'll do that.  I'll say 2lb/week, plus a little extra just because, and call it an even 10 pounds.  Goal weight 188 by April 1.  

Ditto for me - going lose 10 lbs to get down to 264.  I've got to believe that I must have a good 2-3 lbs in water retention alone...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64