BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 440

2013-10-10 2:39 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes)
Originally posted by TriAya

HOT WET QUESTIONS

Anything swimming, tri swimming, swim coaching related ...

Who knows who he blew to get it, but Kingsley arranged for me to meet with Paul Newsome (Swim Smooth founder and head honcho--former pro triathlete, now a record-setting OWSer and trains elite/pro OWSers as well). This usually involves hundreds of dollars and a 12-month waiting period, so you know Kingsley's got skills. In water and out

There's plenty I've got to chew his ear over, but for sure if there's anything you're curious about, post it and I'll ask. I also now have the resources of a number of top coaches through the SS Coaches Network, so that goes for the future as well.

Oh I'm jealous!!!

I'm about half way through their book and LOVING IT!! I am taking my time reading it and letting it soak in. I am also using their training sets and they are killing me, I should have started with the beginners ones but my 100m time (of a very slow 2:00) was right on the cusp of the two so I chose to get the intermediate one (or what ever it is called).

He is also a bit of a piglet

2013-10-10 2:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

KINGSLEY

deeply appreciates the welcome and inspires and will get back to everybody.

He's blind so it does indeed take him a lot longer to get through stuff. He's also slowly learning how inspires and everything else works around here. (What, too soon for me to play the blind card for him? C'mon!)

Also, I may have killed him. He had to cut his training short this morning (this is a guy who NEVER does such things) and has spent the rest of the day in bed.

I'm so proud Kiss

So you have broken him already!
2013-10-10 2:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by mtnbikerchkanother drive by OMG so busy.....BUT OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGFINALLY Hoka One One is coming to CT for a demo! WHEEEEE tomorrow night!! I so want these kicks - can't wait to try them
Prepare yourself- they look like clown shoes even more in person than on the internet! Also, it took me about .75 mile to get over the feeling I was running on stilts, so don't make a snap judgement about them.

Interesting (circus-like) qualities for a running shoe...

It was kind of embarrassing when I first started wearing them, but then my foot stopped swelling up after every long run; so I got over it. Now I embrace the clown quality

I already WANT to love them so they have that going for them too!!

I'm trying to get a friend to wear matching banana costumes with me for the Manchester Road Race on Thanksgiving.......if she won't, maybe I'll go the clown route!
Randee how did your Hoka demo go?

Edited by StaceyK 2013-10-10 2:47 AM
2013-10-10 5:21 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by StaceyK

Randee how did your Hoka demo go?

well...... the new ones don't quite look like clown shoes anymore so that was disappointing....but in all seriousness I was pleasantly surprised at 1. how light they felt, 2. that I didn't actually feel 6" higher (they showed me a cutout of the shoe and that's because your foot actually sits down in the padding).

HOWEVER, I'm a little leary because my shins started to ache. I only went out for 2 miles and I know the best test is a longer run but I'm not sure if that is something that I have to get used to or if it something that would cause shin splints. When I got back from my run the demo guy had gone out witha group so I didn't get to talk to him. He's going to be at the marathon expo I'm going to tomorrow so I plan to pick his brain then.

I tried the Bondi B 2s - and I can get them at REI for $128 - just not sure yet.

anyone else experience this? my daily road shoe is the Ghost 6. The offset of the Ghost is 12mm but the Bondi B is 4.5mm - maybe that's causing it. Although I've run in the Pure Flows without issue so I'm just not sure.

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-10-10 5:28 AM
2013-10-10 6:01 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Randee how did your Hoka demo go?
well...... the new ones don't quite look like clown shoes anymore so that was disappointing....but in all seriousness I was pleasantly surprised at 1. how light they felt, 2. that I didn't actually feel 6" higher (they showed me a cutout of the shoe and that's because your foot actually sits down in the padding). HOWEVER, I'm a little leary because my shins started to ache. I only went out for 2 miles and I know the best test is a longer run but I'm not sure if that is something that I have to get used to or if it something that would cause shin splints. When I got back from my run the demo guy had gone out witha group so I didn't get to talk to him. He's going to be at the marathon expo I'm going to tomorrow so I plan to pick his brain then. I tried the Bondi B 2s - and I can get them at REI for $128 - just not sure yet. anyone else experience this? my daily road shoe is the Ghost 6. The offset of the Ghost is 12mm but the Bondi B is 4.5mm - maybe that's causing it. Although I've run in the Pure Flows without issue so I'm just not sure.

I run in the Bondi B.  I made the immediate switch to them from Brook's Defyance and did not feel any issues in my shins.  It was a rather smooth transition. 

2013-10-10 6:07 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by StaceyK Randee how did your Hoka demo go?
well...... the new ones don't quite look like clown shoes anymore so that was disappointing....but in all seriousness I was pleasantly surprised at 1. how light they felt, 2. that I didn't actually feel 6" higher (they showed me a cutout of the shoe and that's because your foot actually sits down in the padding). HOWEVER, I'm a little leary because my shins started to ache. I only went out for 2 miles and I know the best test is a longer run but I'm not sure if that is something that I have to get used to or if it something that would cause shin splints. When I got back from my run the demo guy had gone out witha group so I didn't get to talk to him. He's going to be at the marathon expo I'm going to tomorrow so I plan to pick his brain then. I tried the Bondi B 2s - and I can get them at REI for $128 - just not sure yet. anyone else experience this? my daily road shoe is the Ghost 6. The offset of the Ghost is 12mm but the Bondi B is 4.5mm - maybe that's causing it. Although I've run in the Pure Flows without issue so I'm just not sure.

I run in the Bondi B.  I made the immediate switch to them from Brook's Defyance and did not feel any issues in my shins.  It was a rather smooth transition. 

huh.

well, maybe after I talk to the rep if I get warm and fuzzies I'll get them. REI has an awesome return policy so I have nothing to lose

(and I thought the Bondis in pink were kinda cute too)

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-10-10 6:07 AM

2013-10-10 8:36 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Kitchen appliance question for the Pod...

Anyone have a not too $$$ bread machine they really like?  Tired of spending "extra" money for simple, healthy bread. I realize there's the cost of machine and ingredients, but would like to think it's worth it for the smell of fresh bread and making it with the kids.

(sorry to veer from training talk. not much training happening around here, so I might as well investigate food.Surprised)

Erin, we have one that TW hates. I'll let you know the brand & model number when I get home.

2013-10-10 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Felicia has been ill, if you have a moment drop her a line, please.

And is anyone else having trouble getting to Yanti's logs????

Edited by cdban66 2013-10-10 9:12 AM
2013-10-10 9:14 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

KINGSLEY

He's blind so it does indeed take him a lot longer to get through stuff. He's also slowly learning how inspires and everything else works around here. (What, too soon for me to play the blind card for him? C'mon!)

Also, I may have killed him. He had to cut his training short this morning (this is a guy who NEVER does such things) and has spent the rest of the day in bed.

I'm so proud Kiss

This made me smile.  Good to hear good things are happening for you, too, Yanti, both in the form of Kinglsey and the Swim Smooth big wig meet-up!!

2013-10-10 9:16 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Melon Presser
Originally posted by cdban66

Anyone have a not too $$$ bread machine they really like?  Tired of spending "extra" money for simple, healthy bread. I realize there's the cost of machine and ingredients, but would like to think it's worth it for the smell of fresh bread and making it with the kids.

(sorry to veer from training talk. not much training happening around here, so I might as well investigate food.Surprised)

Erin, we have one that TW hates. I'll let you know the brand & model number when I get home.

Did somebody say Sunbeam awhile back? I had a Sunbeam in the U.S. and loved it. No matter what I was serving when friends came over or entire parties, the freshly baked bread would get snapped up immediately by everybody.

I will say that it seemed to make better bread from pre-mixed boxes than individual ingredients, but it could just be that I was lazy.

2013-10-10 9:23 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Yeah. I was just going to ask you guys about that. I think my log crashed! Haven't been able to get into it since maybe 5-6 hours ago?

2013-10-10 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Oster. I'll get the model number, but I had to call her and she cursed it again. Even the box mix doesn't work well.

2013-10-10 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Yeah. I was just going to ask you guys about that. I think my log crashed! Haven't been able to get into it since maybe 5-6 hours ago?

Evidently, there is a post limit

2013-10-10 9:28 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Happy Friday Eve!!

I really don't have a whole lot going on at work right now other than trying to look like I'm doing... work.  I'm grateful at the moment that the BT website quite closely resembles one of the patent searching sites that I use.  Huh... seems kinda wrong to be thankful for something that is helping me get away with not doing work... 

Originally posted by melbo55

KINGSLEY

I'm so proud Kiss

This made me smile.  Good to hear good things are happening for you, too, Yanti, both in the form of Kinglsey and the Swim Smooth big wig meet-up!!

Are you kidding... I'm proud of YANTI!  It didn't take her long at all to break the poor boy, though we all knew that he didn't really stand a chance.  Laughing

2013-10-10 9:30 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Oster. I'll get the model number, but I had to call her and she cursed it again. Even the box mix doesn't work well.

My mum (she prefers "mum" to "mom" ever since I lived in London) had an Oster and tossed it within a month.  However, my grandmother had a Sunbeam and LOVED it.  We loved it too because she made some ah-may-zing bread with that thing! 

2013-10-10 9:30 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Happy Friday Eve!!

I really don't have a whole lot going on at work right now other than trying to look like I'm doing... work.  I'm grateful at the moment that the BT website quite closely resembles one of the patent searching sites that I use.  Huh... seems kinda wrong to be thankful for something that is helping me get away with not doing work... 

Originally posted by melbo55

KINGSLEY

I'm so proud Kiss

Are you kidding... I'm proud of YANTI!  It didn't take her long at all to break the poor boy, though we all knew that he didn't really stand a chance.  Laughing

And he seemed to be a strong fellow... But, yeah, no chance indeed.

2013-10-10 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

My mum (she prefers "mum" to "mom" ever since I lived in London) had an Oster and tossed it within a month.  However, my grandmother had a Sunbeam and LOVED it.  We loved it too because she made some ah-may-zing bread with that thing! 

Yeah, the Oster is headed to the trash. Everyone knows that TW is flat out chef worthy, yet she can't get bread out of the thing that is worth eating. That sucker is so gone!

2013-10-10 9:43 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
We have an older Breadman

http://www.amazon.com/Breadman-TR2200C-Ultimate-Bread-Machine/dp/B0...

used it a TON when we got it like 10 years ago but less and less as time goes on.
2013-10-10 9:51 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

I was only thinking about Felicia this morning, get well soon.
2013-10-10 10:38 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by AsalzwedBut I should add, what I found really fascinating in talking with the engineer is that my "feelings" were validated. I don't really have the shoe lingo down, so in expressing myself I was just kind of, defining my experiences per my own vocabulary and then defining that. He said I was very unique in my passion and feelings (LOL!) I guess a lot of people just come in and say, "I run in this shoe with these orthotics because my doctor told me to." Period. And perhaps that is part of the problem, right?
The 18mo project is very cool! I hope it will include more discussions like this...specific and mutually understood feedback. Awesome

Amen. "very unique" yee-haw! All of that is really great stuff--hope you keep telling us what goes on for the duration of the project.

2013-10-10 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
p>

X whatever, Yanti! you make me proud

2013-10-10 10:52 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Melon Presser
Originally posted by switch

Also, speaking of challenges, I have been reading Swim Speed Secrets by Shelia Taormina--OMFG, this book is AWESOME!  Her descriptions and pictures are so, so helpful.  It has been awesome to be in the water with a very clear picture of what I should be doing and feeling.  If you haven't checked out this book yet, and you need to work on your swimming I HIGHLY recommend it.  I have scheduled a challenge to read this book and focus on it from November 15-December 15, so there's that option too (I'm just reading it early cause of my leg thing/inability to really run).

YEEEEAAAAH (sorry, didn't get to this earlier ) couldn't have said it better myself, which is why I just say it over and over.

Anyway, DO NOT let the swim workouts in my logs put anyone off the Swim Speed Workouts program. Remember that I get personal guidance and feedback, so what's in my logs is kind of roided out.

It's 3 workouts a week, super simple, super clear, most of them well under 3K. The third is a long session about 3.5-4K.

2013-10-10 10:57 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
I received this email this morning about possibly becoming an "ambassador" for one of the triathlon/ half marathon race companies. What do you all think? Is the required work worth the potential benefit?

Sorry about the formatting.Thanks for being a loyal Multirace customer!

Hi Ann-Marie,

Thank you for being a loyal Multirace customer. Because you have completed so many races with Multirace, we have identified you as one of our top customers in Orange County. As such, we would like to tell you about our new ambassador program in which you can earn FREE races. We are currently looking for Ambassadors to help promote our events across the state of Florida.

We are undergoing expansion and will be adding many new events, to be announced very soon, and need Multirace fans to help us spread the word.What we are looking for:You must be a current Multirace customer.

The more events of ours that you've done the better.You must be a happy, positive thinking, and social person.You must be willing to promote our events through the following methods:To training groups in your areaPut postcards at running stores and bike shops in your area and create relationships with the staff and managers. Recruit them to help promote the events and you'll likely get a store discount as well.On social media (Facebook, twitter, YouTube?)At local club meetingsHanding out postcards at non-Multirace events (We may have this covered through other methods, but at the very least, we'd want you to talk about the next Multirace event to others at any events that you attend.)We prefer someone who participates in both half marathons and triathlons so we can use the same person for both seasons, but it isn't an absolute requirement.

What you get in return:

You will have your own personal discount code to give out to friends, family, and whoever you promote the races to. The more people that use your code, the more benefits you will earn.You will be a Multirace insider, so you'll know our staff by name and they'll know you.Your race number will be pulled out in advance before packet pickup so you'll get a preferred racking location in the triathlons.You will never have to wait in a packet pickup line again.You will race for free at Multirace.com events. Free races range from one to unlimited depending on how much promotional help you provide us.If this program works well, then we will be getting Team Multirace uniforms as well.

This is a commitment, so don't apply if you don't have the time to put in to earn the benefits. If you are interested in being part of the program, please reply and tell us why you are the right person to be our Ambassador in your local area. Please include the following:What area can you cover (which county and which part of that county if it is a large county)? We expect to take at 4-6 ambassadors per county in our primary event areas (Dade, Broward, Sarasota, Pinellas, etc.) and 1-2 per county in areas where we don't currently have events but still get some customers from (St. Lucie, Naples, Ft. Myers, Orlando).How many Multirace events have you participated in?Why do you like Multirace events?Are you active on Facebook? How many friends do you have?Are you active on Twitter? How many followers do you have?Are you a member of any running or triathlon clubs?Do you do both triathlon and half marathons? If not, which do you do?Do you participate in group training? How many groups do you train with?Do you know the staff at the local running\triathlon\bike shop?Do you work at the local running\triathlon\bike shop?Are you a coach?Are you involved with TNT or a similar marathon or triathlon training program?

Thanks again for being a loyal Multirace customer!Sincerely, Your Multirace.com Staff Forward email

Edited by amd723 2013-10-10 11:02 AM

2013-10-10 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

4 things came to mind. 1) Is the company doing good races that you are willing to promote? I'm going to guess this is a yes, since you posted it in here. 2) Do you have an aversion to the requirements? I HATE handing out stuff at other races, but enjoy the relationship building and such. 3) Do you have the time? 4) Is it something that will impact your job? Your job, possibly more than many others, has a certain level of professionalism and other expectations. At least it does in my mind. Would this jeopardize your career?

If you come out on the plus side of those questions, it sounds like a good thing for you.

Edited by cdban66 2013-10-10 11:12 AM
2013-10-10 11:28 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by switch

Also, speaking of challenges, I have been reading Swim Speed Secrets by Shelia Taormina--OMFG, this book is AWESOME!  Her descriptions and pictures are so, so helpful.  It has been awesome to be in the water with a very clear picture of what I should be doing and feeling.  If you haven't checked out this book yet, and you need to work on your swimming I HIGHLY recommend it.  I have scheduled a challenge to read this book and focus on it from November 15-December 15, so there's that option too (I'm just reading it early cause of my leg thing/inability to really run).

YEEEEAAAAH :) (sorry, didn't get to this earlier :) ) couldn't have said it better myself, which is why I just say it over and over.

Anyway, DO NOT let the swim workouts in my logs put anyone off the Swim Speed Workouts program. Remember that I get personal guidance and feedback, so what's in my logs is kind of roided out.

It's 3 workouts a week, super simple, super clear, most of them well under 3K. The third is a long session about 3.5-4K.

Thanks Yanti.  Great, I love the book so much, I will buy the workouts. I may write her a personal thank-you :)

So, I have some time to be doing a swim "focus" right now.  Swimmers swim 6-10 sessions a week (or something ridiculous), right?  Is this one of those things where more isn't better?  Should I be limiting to 3 days a week? 

Can you clarify for me the breathing thing Chad mentioned.  I can breathe every four, but my times on anything longer than a fifty go down.  I do a blend of 2/3 breathing during races.  Ack?  What's the word here?

Also, how does Kingsley know when to turn in the pool?  How does he swim OWS? 

I want to know more about how all that works when you're blind.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  

of 440