BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-08-04 12:43 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by Fred D Descending in the drops, isn't really a 'podium' move, as I ride a shiv in races but I do try to get as low as I can. It's fun to go fast, is all. Can still feather the breaks, but with practice this gets easier. Btw Chris, I am considering a race you did last year for 2015...

tease.....   Must be Canada or Miami..  and I doubt it's Miami...  I might be interested in Canada 2015.   Don't tell my wife....

or maybe wildflower..

Thought Canada was on the list of IMs considered for a group race not too long ago?

. Ding, ding, ding. Truth is the costs are a concern especially since we would be flying 4 people. Timing is right though and it sounds like a great course.

I've been debating IMC. I'll prob wait until match day in Dec just in case I end up out in Halifax or something...I suppose with the refund policy I could sign up anyways. Haha. I'm also debating another race Chris did last year. New Orleans 70.3. Waiting on the new course information to be announced still though.

2014-08-04 4:45 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Originally posted by Fred D Ok I posted on ST but not much response yet. If I focused in the off season on swimming, what would be the best bang for the buck. Online swim coach? Swim camp? I don't think I have any resources in town that are obvious. Thoughts?

I say find someone local that can look at your swim and make corrections. 

Someone that has the ability to see you for 30min 2x week and tell you how to correct the form or what ever to get faster.  That is the ticket.  It can be a simple kid’s club coach, but someone that knows swimming dynamics well. 

2014-08-04 11:53 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Master
, California

I might be up for IMC again next year.  I think I could do much better now that I know what to expect on the bike course.

Re: descending... Chris, I know what you mean about the worry in the back of your mind.  My fear sense usually shuts off when I'm riding (didn't post my Strava yet but I think I hit 50mph at Canada this year).  And I do my own wrenching on my bike which helps with the confidence.  But wow, the guy I saw crash in front of me early in the race was not good.  That'll be in the back of my mind for a long time.  I don't know how that will affect my biking in future races.

2014-08-04 12:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by mndymond

Originally posted by Fred D Descending in the drops, isn't really a 'podium' move, as I ride a shiv in races but I do try to get as low as I can. It's fun to go fast, is all. Can still feather the breaks, but with practice this gets easier. Btw Chris, I am considering a race you did last year for 2015...

tease.....   Must be Canada or Miami..  and I doubt it's Miami...  I might be interested in Canada 2015.   Don't tell my wife....

or maybe wildflower..

Thought Canada was on the list of IMs considered for a group race not too long ago?

. Ding, ding, ding. Truth is the costs are a concern especially since we would be flying 4 people. Timing is right though and it sounds like a great course.
I've been debating IMC. I'll prob wait until match day in Dec just in case I end up out in Halifax or something...I suppose with the refund policy I could sign up anyways. Haha. I'm also debating another race Chris did last year. New Orleans 70.3. Waiting on the new course information to be announced still though.

The good thing about Canada is it won't be selling out anytime soon.

AFAIK, the NOLA 70.3 course will go back to finishing in Armstrong Park.  Not "in" the quarter, but adjacent I guess.  Should make the run nicer as it goes through neighborhoods rather than trying to string miles together on the lake.  Swim and bike wil be the same I believe.

This year was different because it fell on the same weekend as a big music festval in the quarter, so they had to move the finish.

Edited by ChrisM 2014-08-04 12:00 PM
2014-08-04 3:13 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

2 hour ride yesterday which included 2 x 20' @ 270w and then this morning was another two hours starting with 2 x 15 @ 265w followed by 2 x ( 5 min hardish run, transition to bike with 2' @ 250w, 12' @ 285-295w, 1' ez, transition to 5 mins at run race pace + 5 mins ez).  The 285-295 was pretty much impossible, I hit 270 the first time but could only manage around 250 the second time.  I had the option of doing that 2-4 times.  Pretty sure I would have ended up in a ditch had I gone for more.  

2014-08-04 6:55 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-08-04 6:56 PM

2014-08-04 10:08 PM

Champion

Hey I know it's only above water and limited quality, but would anyone care to comment here: http://youtu.be/Fe_v8DnPOCU

Overall your overwater stroke looks pretty good IMO. A few wonky strokes with your right arm but you seem to correct it from stroke to stroke--It looks like you cross the midline a bit more on entry with your right. Also, I can only see on a few of your last strokes but looks like you drop your elbows on your underwater pull. I might be imagining it but that's what it looks like as you come into the wall.
2014-08-04 10:29 PM

Champion

or maybe wildflower..

AFAIK, the NOLA 70.3 course will go back to finishing in Armstrong Park.  Not "in" the quarter, but adjacent I guess.  Should make the run nicer as it goes through neighborhoods rather than trying to string miles together on the lake.  Swim and bike wil be the same I believe.

This year was different because it fell on the same weekend as a big music festval in the quarter, so they had to move the finish.

The FB site says something that they have made the decision to move the finish to the race start at South Shore Harbour. Guess we will see.
2014-08-04 11:09 PM
in reply to: mndymond

or maybe wildflower..

The FB site says something that they have made the decision to move the finish to the race start at South Shore Harbour. Guess we will see.

Huh, shows what I know      I'd look at the course pretty closely as I think this might make it a less desirable race.  

2014-08-05 2:52 AM
in reply to: mndymond

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D Hey I know it's only above water and limited quality, but would anyone care to comment here: http://youtu.be/Fe_v8DnPOCU
Overall your overwater stroke looks pretty good IMO. A few wonky strokes with your right arm but you seem to correct it from stroke to stroke--It looks like you cross the midline a bit more on entry with your right. Also, I can only see on a few of your last strokes but looks like you drop your elbows on your underwater pull. I might be imagining it but that's what it looks like as you come into the wall.

Yeah, nothing glaring that I see there either.  You can often see major flaws in an above water video but since there isn't anything there for you, under water will tell the whole story.  If you do get another chance like that before you can get under water, see if you can get a side on view as well.

What was your effort level during that video?

2014-08-05 12:38 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Fred D Hey I know it's only above water and limited quality, but would anyone care to comment here: http://youtu.be/Fe_v8DnPOCU

Yeah, nothing glaring that I see there either.  You can often see major flaws in an above water video but since there isn't anything there for you, under water will tell the whole story.  If you do get another chance like that before you can get under water, see if you can get a side on view as well.

x2 on this... Fred - you are a solid swimmer already, so I doubt anyone will find a major stroke flaw.

Two things jumped out at me from the above water video.  Good: you have a smooth entry/catch... there is no delay or overglide like you often see from people who learned with TI.

The other thing I was looking at is you don't seem to rotate your body very much.  It's kind of hard to tell with the video quality -- this is one of those things that would be more apparent with the underwater view.  Once again, it's just a minor nitpick.  Maybe the fish around here can evaluate...

2014-08-05 2:05 PM
in reply to: spudone

2014-08-05 2:06 PM

2014-08-05 2:11 PM
in reply to: spudone

Originally posted by spudone

x2 on this... Fred - you are a solid swimmer already, so I doubt anyone will find a major stroke flaw.

Two things jumped out at me from the above water video.  Good: you have a smooth entry/catch... there is no delay or overglide like you often see from people who learned with TI.

The other thing I was looking at is you don't seem to rotate your body very much.  It's kind of hard to tell with the video quality -- this is one of those things that would be more apparent with the underwater view.  Once again, it's just a minor nitpick.  Maybe the fish around here can evaluate...

I wasn't gona say anything since I'm no expert, and hard to tell, but it looked good except for perhaps a lack of rotation.  So what he said ^     Youtube the drill with the kickboard between your legs, acts as a sail and messages your degree of rotation.  Can't really see what's happening while your swimming but you can get a "feel" for it and also a video would show the rotation.

Hmmm, can't find a video.   this link dicsusses it in #4  http://breakingmuscle.com/swimming/4-common-swimming-mistakes-and-how-to-fix-them

2014-08-05 3:01 PM

So as you may or may not have seen on the news, Hawaii has two hurricanes heading straight for us.  Both expect to be tropical storms if and/or when they get here, but still enough to bring 50-65 mph winds and heavy rain.  My trip to the Big Island to ride up Mauna Loa is Saturday, and if the projections are correct, it would be the only time that *might* be possible to have the race.  The first storm should roll through the Big Island sometime Thursday, and the second storm wouldn't get there till around Sunday night.

Of course we're all hoping that the storm just rolls north or south and misses the islands as much as possible, but we'll see.

2014-08-05 3:03 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

So as you may or may not have seen on the news, Hawaii has two hurricanes heading straight for us.  Both expect to be tropical storms if and/or when they get here, but still enough to bring 50-65 mph winds and heavy rain.  My trip to the Big Island to ride up Mauna Loa is Saturday, and if the projections are correct, it would be the only time that *might* be possible to have the race.  The first storm should roll through the Big Island sometime Thursday, and the second storm wouldn't get there till around Sunday night.

Of course we're all hoping that the storm just rolls north or south and misses the islands as much as possible, but we'll see.

Yikes!

Would it give you a tailwind?

2014-08-05 3:18 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D Today I did a 3,000 yard swim followed soon after by 4 hr ride. Went really well. Didn't have much energy or legs at the start but it got better. Last long session before IMMT.

Nice work Fred!  That must be good for the confidence.  How are you feeling about things overall?

2014-08-05 3:25 PM

2014-08-05 3:36 PM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Fred D Feels good to have the last long session done. I love IM, but the training starts to wear on me at this stage. It's worth it to me, but I suspect others feel the same way 12 days prior to race. Feeling good overall, but being somewhat long in the tooth on these things, I know better than to speculate much. I could have a great day, a good day or a bad day. I've put in the prep work, so look at it like this... I've given myself a chance to succeed, but that's not a guarantee as sometimes things go sideways on you.

I think it's good to be realistic, especially since you have the history to know what can and does go wrong on race day.  That said, your training has been really solid and it must be tough to not be optimistic with the way everything has gone so far.  I hope you get rewarded with an excellent result.

2014-08-05 3:43 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

2014-08-05 4:02 PM

Yikes!

I'm not sure what would be worse at this point.  Lots of wind, or lots of rain making it really cold near the top.  Of course, there is always the probability of both.  I suppose I was worried a bit that with the 8am start, it would be really hot...I think that option may have been the best scenario, and also the least likely at this point.  LOL.

2014-08-05 6:01 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Elite
Ontario

Yikes!

I'm not sure what would be worse at this point.  Lots of wind, or lots of rain making it really cold near the top.  Of course, there is always the probability of both.  I suppose I was worried a bit that with the 8am start, it would be really hot...I think that option may have been the best scenario, and also the least likely at this point.  LOL.

...really cold...you crack me up.  

Better make sure you don't say anything when we complain about the cold this winter!!

2014-08-05 6:02 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Yikes!

On the bright side, you'll probably have a couple excellent days for surfers, just before and after the storm.

I was on Oahu in Dec 2009 when they held the last Eddie.  It's somewhat amusing.  Everyone cuts out of work and the whole island shuts down.  (I realize they only hold that in the winter, though...)

Edited by spudone 2014-08-05 6:03 PM
2014-08-05 6:15 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by GoFaster

Yikes!

...really cold...you crack me up.  

Better make sure you don't say anything when we complain about the cold this winter!!

I've been to the top of Haleakala at sunrise and Mauna Loa is even higher, it can be really cold up there!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38729 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74211 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.