BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-08-11 6:31 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

Investing in your future you.  I like that, Nathalie. 

@Nicole, I think we all have to decide why we do this - body image, health, competition, community, endorphin-rush...maybe a combination, then use that as motivation.  I used to be very competitive so preparing for competition was my main driver to train, then life, injuries and age moved me away from the field and court, so I had to adjust and would up in endurance sports (running) and then eventually triathlon (because swimming came so naturally to me...not ) because of the community, endorphins, and maybe a little body image as I got older and it became harder to keep lean.

With COVID, we've lost competition and community almost completely (and given your experience and what you write about, I betcha those are high on your list...), which sucks if those are your main drivers.  That'll end eventually (fingers crossed), so we've got to figure out what else we can use to motivate ourselves in the meantime. I used to love the challenges here on 6-8 years ago.  One of my favorites was "Work Your Weakness" - focusing very hard on the discipline you're the worst at (and it could be core strength, muscle imbalances, mental focus, whatever, not necessarily just tri sports - though mine was most definitely swimming ).  I swam 4-5 days a week for two months and it made a huge difference, almost to the point where I could physically survive a masters practice.  LOL  This year I focused on fixing my @#$#$!!! back, especially once I realized my Tour de France at 52 years old dreams were over .  Didn't fully accomplish it but I've never had a stronger core, and I'm a little better at Zwift racing and they have a new virtual France world so there's that.

We know you hate the bike , so dust off that bad boy and ride those figure-8 loops in Patterson Park.  It's good hill practice (and handling as you dodge the dog-walkers), plus it's right there and the weather should be really nice here soon.

Make My Weakness A Strength.

2020-08-11 11:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

Two days of Zwift racing...yesterday was a 24km criterium, put in a good effort and executed well, finishing MOP in Cat C.  Today was an 18km time trial, in theory anyway, that was an absolute disaster as I couldn't even hold my FTP power past about 10 minutes.  Legs were dead.  I definitely don't recover the way I used to.  Easy day tomorrow and then another race on Thursday.  Pic on my virtual TT rig:

Edited by jmhpsu93 2020-08-11 11:25 AM
2020-08-12 12:46 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Investing in your future you.  I like that, Nathalie. 

@Nicole, I think we all have to decide why we do this - body image, health, competition, community, endorphin-rush...maybe a combination, then use that as motivation.  I used to be very competitive so preparing for competition was my main driver to train, then life, injuries and age moved me away from the field and court, so I had to adjust and would up in endurance sports (running) and then eventually triathlon (because swimming came so naturally to me...not ) because of the community, endorphins, and maybe a little body image as I got older and it became harder to keep lean.

With COVID, we've lost competition and community almost completely (and given your experience and what you write about, I betcha those are high on your list...), which sucks if those are your main drivers.  That'll end eventually (fingers crossed), so we've got to figure out what else we can use to motivate ourselves in the meantime. I used to love the challenges here on 6-8 years ago.  One of my favorites was "Work Your Weakness" - focusing very hard on the discipline you're the worst at (and it could be core strength, muscle imbalances, mental focus, whatever, not necessarily just tri sports - though mine was most definitely swimming ).  I swam 4-5 days a week for two months and it made a huge difference, almost to the point where I could physically survive a masters practice.  LOL  This year I focused on fixing my @#$#$!!! back, especially once I realized my Tour de France at 52 years old dreams were over .  Didn't fully accomplish it but I've never had a stronger core, and I'm a little better at Zwift racing and they have a new virtual France world so there's that.

We know you hate the bike , so dust off that bad boy and ride those figure-8 loops in Patterson Park.  It's good hill practice (and handling as you dodge the dog-walkers), plus it's right there and the weather should be really nice here soon.

Make My Weakness A Strength.

Thanks! Yeah competition is definitely often my motivator so this has been a strange time.
I don't know if I'm ready for figure 8 loops around PP, but maybe once the weather starts to cool down a bit. I might go on a ride with my roommate and her friend sometime soon so we can explore Baltimore a bit.

I did go on a run this morning (first one in awhile!). My shoulders/back have been really tight and I felt it big time. Only got 1.5 miles in and had to stop. I walked home, and there I did some stretching/PT and some core. Last night I also did some bedtime yoga, and am going to keep doing that this week and hope my shoulders/back start to loosen. Stress at work has it in bad shape I think.

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to think about my why more. A big part of it for me is health and body image too, and I've been feeling blah so need to focus on the feeling after, as Nathalie suggested!
2020-08-12 5:54 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Master
brummie land

Hey Nicole, if/when I get into a bit of a slump I just try and do something fun. It might not be formal training, but trying something different. Motivation wise, I mainly exercise to keep my mental health decent, and so I can drink beer/eat pizza! Also to get healthier, lose some weight. I joined rugby to meet new people and to get fitter. 

I think during these weird times, just doing anything that gets you through is worth it; maybe try yoga for a bit to help with the stress, or go for a ride minus the computer to just enjoy it. 

Just some ideas from a rather toasty brit....why do our houses not have aircon???????????

2020-08-13 4:50 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Yeah, even though I don’t race to win (even if it’s nice), that race day feeling is hard to beat. I have also missed that this year and have not trained as as should have, no real motivation. That and the fact that I had 6 week of corona light in April/May and now a broken collarbone, not a good year.

I am trying to focus on next year’s races now to keep me motivated to eat better and exercise (right now that’s just walking) in order not to put on (even more) weight but it’s hard.

Sappho, it’s not hot that often in the UK that you’d need AC in your houses. We have it at work and you need a jumper when it’s 25C out, I hate it! I want to be able to moan about the heat when it’s hot and moan about the cold in the winter not have the same temperature all year long.
2020-08-13 4:58 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

is a t-shirt I have ordered, which sums up my feeling about temperature! (50f btw

Edited by sappho96 2020-08-13 5:11 AM

2020-08-13 5:30 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Btw if anyone wants cheering up on a Thursday, here is a video of a paddle boarding goat!

https://youtu.be/PXkBwHvrrzk

2020-08-13 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by sappho96

Hey Nicole, if/when I get into a bit of a slump I just try and do something fun. It might not be formal training, but trying something different. Motivation wise, I mainly exercise to keep my mental health decent, and so I can drink beer/eat pizza! Also to get healthier, lose some weight. I joined rugby to meet new people and to get fitter. 

I think during these weird times, just doing anything that gets you through is worth it; maybe try yoga for a bit to help with the stress, or go for a ride minus the computer to just enjoy it. 

Just some ideas from a rather toasty brit....why do our houses not have aircon???????????

Basically we're living in a tropical rain forest right now.  It's been high 80s every day and thunderstorms, plus the 8+ inches of rain we got last week it's rather soupy and gross out.  A/C only helps so much.  Late August and September is usually the best time of the year here once the humidity drops, so we'll see.

2020-08-13 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Final race of the week at 6 AM this morning, a circuit course around Richmond VA (UCI Worlds course from 2015?? I think).  Flat, then a downhill, then flat, then a hard hill on cobbles, then downhill, then a really hard hill, then a downhill, then a $R#(*!!! uphill finish.  You do it twice.  A little over 12 miles in all and I finished very solidly in the MOP C group.  Legs felt a lot better than Tuesday but still didn't kill it but I think I could have hammered the flats a little more.  I had never raced that course so wanted plenty in the tank for the hills so I sandbagged the flats a little.  I rode with a group for most of it and then we splintered big time at the end on the triple-hill finish.

Taking it easy for a couple of weeks until the Tour de France starts and I'm sure they'll be some kind of wacky challenge going on.

EDIT:  Just passed my 2019 bike mileage total and 2500 miles for the year so far.  Still pretty much exactly on pace for a 4,000 mile year, but I'll be I'll have to hammer a century out on New Year's Eve LOL.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2020-08-13 9:35 AM
2020-08-13 9:47 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

Well I'm also in a a bit of a funk.

Yesterday I got my 28th consecutive day of SBR done. But things went pretty down hill. Long story short, my Grandfather passed away last night. Now he was in his 90's, and was suffering from dementia. So it's not a total surprise, and the suffering is over, which is a blessing. But it is still sad, and all happened very quickly.

Add to that, we've had a Covid re-emergence so are now back in a stage 3 lockdown. So with family spread around the country, and Australia we're not yet sure whats going to happen for a funeral. everything's just very blah today.

So, enjoy your weekends. Get out there and do something. And I will try to do the same.
2020-08-14 2:48 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Sorry for your loss Andrew. Even if it’s the natural order of things at his age and his suffering is over, it’s still sad.

2020-08-14 7:17 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Very sorry for your loss, Andrew. Death in the family is always a rough time, but I can't even imagine it now. I'll be thinking of you and your family.
2020-08-14 6:24 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Master
brummie land

Thinking of you andrew. 

2020-08-17 8:23 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Thank you for your thoughts ladies.

On Monday we got to experience our 'new normal' and had a zoom meeting funeral. Limited to only 6 of us at the actual chapel, the rest of the family online. It was as nice as could be, and we sent the old man on his way.

In happier news, despite being in the expected funk, my streak of consecutive days SBR continues, even got an outside bike for an hour over the weekend which was nice. Was a perfect weekend for riding here, blue skies, no wind, and around 5 deg C (40-50F). Lovely.

Totals for my cutback week.
S: 0 pools are closed again
B: x4, 3hr 10 total.
R: x3, 2hr 5 total.

Hope you all had a good weekend, and a productive week ahead.
2020-08-18 1:00 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Glad the funeral went OK.

Well done on the consecutive streak still going!

Here, the broken collarbone is slowly healing and I am now off the painkillers (yeah! Beer time!) and almost pain free most of the time if I avoid big movement. Trying to walk and/or swim for about 2 hours every day. Tried jogging the other day, not ready yet but soon

Have a great week y’all!
2020-08-18 6:44 AM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

, Vermont
Andrew, I’m so sorry for your loss. My condolences in these times.

Mike, high temps and humidity do not agree with this northern girl. Blech. It cools off here this week, hopefully you guys experience the same. Great efforts on the bike!

2020-08-23 11:06 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Master
brummie land

Hey all,

Did a ride today and re-started some stretching/strengthening work as my achilles is sore. Feels good to get back on it. 

How are we all getting on?

2020-08-23 4:00 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys, all things considered pretty happy with my week

Swim: 0. Pools are closed again.
Bike: x5, 5 hours total
Run: x2, 2 hours total

Up to 39 consecutive days of SBR. 2 away from my all time record of 41.
I rolled my ankle on Tuesdays run, which is why I only had 2 runs for the week, a few days of no running and it seems ok. But will not b pushing the running for the next week or 2. Yes that's the 5th rolled ankle in the last 2 years... Time for a change in shoes?

I've also brought some resistance bands for some dryland swimming training. I have yet to use them, but with pools being closed at a moments notice I think adding some dryland training to supplement getting to the pool is a good idea.

Hope everyone else had a good week.

2020-08-24 7:05 AM
in reply to: #5272029

User image

, Vermont
It’s been quiet on here lately.
I’ve been on vacation the last two weeks and still have two more; we’ve been prepping the house and two families have already seen it and we haven’t even listed it yet. One family has made an offer and the other loves it but wants more sun in the backyard. We’ll review the offer today and make a decision. I’d really like to take it and not have to deal with listing at all. We shall see. Regardless, I’ve been whipped with all the preparations but today I hope to actually get some kind of workout in. Temps are cooling down this week, yay!
2020-08-24 1:02 PM
in reply to: #5272081

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I actually went for a run this morning. Seriously, probably the first workout I’ve done in a month. I’ve been doing plenty of heavy work, so I was pleasantly surprised that it didn’t suck as much as I thought it was going to.
2020-08-24 3:04 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog
I rolled my ankle on Tuesdays run, which is why I only had 2 runs for the week, a few days of no running and it seems ok. But will not b pushing the running for the next week or 2. Yes that's the 5th rolled ankle in the last 2 years... Time for a change in shoes?

Change of shoes or/and strengthening exercises? Is it both sides or just one ?

3 weeks after my fall and break. Getting some mobility back in my right arm, which is nice. Back at work today after 2 weeks off (holidays, nothing to do with the injury). I have been going on long walks and a swim every day, won’t be so much time for it now but I will try.

Have a great week all!

2020-08-24 9:09 PM
in reply to: #5272085

User image

, Vermont
Good to hear the arm is getting better, Nathalie!

Gretchen, I’m right there with you - just over three weeks since my last workout.

Did a short 20 min class on Peloton followed by a 10 min core class using their app. It’s been a while and I’m sluggish but felt good to do something other than packing and cleaning.
2020-08-24 10:34 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Change of shoes or/and strengthening exercises? Is it both sides or just one ?

It's been predominantly the right foot. About 2 years ago I rolled my right ankle and caused an avulsion fracture. Since then this is the 4th time I've done the right, and done the left once. All done since I started running in Mizuno Paradox's.

I've got some exercises from the physio from the last time I rolled one, so I guess I'll be back into doing them again.

To be honest tho, I think it's more being clumsy than anything... In this case I was trying to avoid a pair of walkers. I've also tripped over the dog when she's tried to go talk to another furry friend. I also have a bad habit of running to close to the edge of the foot path, which has been the cause of a couple. Like I say, clumsy.
2020-08-25 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  I've been on vacation so off the grid a bit though I did some working out at the beach.  Back at it this week with some light cycling and some strength work, then going to hammer three weeks on the bike for a Tour de France challenge.

@Andrew - bummer about your ankle.  The problem is once you stretch those ligaments they're always susceptible to being rolled over. I've rolled my right ankle more times that I can count playing basketball and volleyball (and yes being a clutz, too ).  I finally had to wear a lace-up brace to play and finally just decided to stop playing sports before I really hurt myself.  I've only lightly rolled it in running shoes.  Running shoes aren't exactly designed for lateral stability, even the ones that are stability shoes as they just maintain foot alignment.  If you can find a wider platform shoe that might help.  My Brooks Adrenalines are like showshoes.

2020-08-25 9:49 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Andrew - bummer about your ankle.  The problem is once you stretch those ligaments they're always susceptible to being rolled over. I've rolled my right ankle more times that I can count playing basketball and volleyball (and yes being a clutz, too ).  I finally had to wear a lace-up brace to play and finally just decided to stop playing sports before I really hurt myself.  I've only lightly rolled it in running shoes.  Running shoes aren't exactly designed for lateral stability, even the ones that are stability shoes as they just maintain foot alignment.  If you can find a wider platform shoe that might help.  My Brooks Adrenalines are like showshoes.

I have no arches on my feet, so have always used stability shoes. Haven't tried Brooks Adrenalin before tho, and I know they are highly rated. Might have to be my next investment.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 6732 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123