BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-07-08 8:57 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I've never been very flexible. I've also not seen much data that suggests it's very important for running so I don't do much to address it. I think it's more important for swimming (if I recall ankles? Shoulders? ) and of course if it's limiting you in some way, you can certainly work on it. But I really hesitate to put much time into it.
The two spots I don't have issues with (yet) are my ankles and my shoulders. I think that comes about due to a decade of daily swim training as a kid. In fact my feet are far more comfortable in a fully extended position that they are when they are flat on the floor.

2015-07-08 8:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I thought that I would share a picture from my dog walk yesterday. Not as spectacular as Salty's but this is the fire trail in the paddock behind our house.
(Oh and the dog bums belong to Gerrie, Dee and Jazz, our 3 youngest puppies)

Edited by StaceyK 2015-07-08 9:00 PM

(dog walk.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
dog walk.jpg (142KB - 3 downloads)
2015-07-08 9:01 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK I thought that I would share a picture from my dog walk yesterday. Not as spectacular as Salty's but this is the fire trail in the paddock behind our house. (Oh and the dog bums belong to Gerrie, Dee and Jazz, our 3 youngest puppies)

Doggie Derrieres!  Love it, great shot.

2015-07-08 9:37 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Question for those of you who run twice in a day--how long after the first run do you do the second one?  I have two on my training plan for tomorrow, but it doesn't say how long between.

2015-07-09 12:32 AM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by IronOx

Question for those of you who run twice in a day--how long after the first run do you do the second one?  I have two on my training plan for tomorrow, but it doesn't say how long between.

What's the purpose of having two?I run twice nearly every day. It's more about scheduling than sn exact amount of time for me. But it also depends on the purpose. If my second run is s quality session I want to be sure I'm recovered from the first. That recovery time will likely be pretty infividual.
2015-07-09 12:50 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

What's the purpose of having two?I run twice nearly every day. It's more about scheduling than sn exact amount of time for me. But it also depends on the purpose. If my second run is s quality session I want to be sure I'm recovered from the first. That recovery time will likely be pretty infividual.
first is long run, second is recovery.

2015-07-09 7:10 AM

Master
Northern IL

Curious what plan this is that has running as the recovery activity, particularly the same day as the long run?

ETA: When I've run twice, it's normally separated by the work day.

Edited by brigby1 2015-07-09 7:11 AM
2015-07-09 7:28 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Advanced full IM plan
2015-07-09 8:18 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by StaceyK

I thought that I would share a picture from my dog walk yesterday. Not as spectacular as Salty's but this is the fire trail in the paddock behind our house.

YAY DOGGIES!!!

ok so I'm just over 5 weeks out from IMMT and random crap keeps popping up in my head - partially my own fault for reading everything I can on full distances tris and MT in particular. So here's one:

There are aid stations every 10 miles and people say "don't make your bike a buffet" so I'm trying to travel light and I'm thinking about two bottles to start. Ok so when I need another bottle am I supposed to grab it, fill my xlab torpedo AND put in my Infinit from what, a ziploc baggie I assume? I don't see any of that going well without stopping LOL
2015-07-09 8:44 AM

User image

My first run I do as soon as I can in the morning - like 7. The second run I'm doing at around 4 or 5, in the heat of the day.
2015-07-09 8:52 AM

User image

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by StaceyK

YAY DOGGIES!!!

ok so I'm just over 5 weeks out from IMMT and random crap keeps popping up in my head - partially my own fault for reading everything I can on full distances tris and MT in particular. So here's one:

There are aid stations every 10 miles and people say "don't make your bike a buffet" so I'm trying to travel light and I'm thinking about two bottles to start. Ok so when I need another bottle am I supposed to grab it, fill my xlab torpedo AND put in my Infinit from what, a ziploc baggie I assume? I don't see any of that going well without stopping LOL

Let me just get this out in the open - I'm clumsy. Especially with water bottles on the bike! I can't hold on to one to save my life so I have a Speedfil (Gatorade)on the down tube and a Torpedo (water) between my bars. Yes, two straws and I look like a goof but I don't care because I can't drop either one!

I will be stopping at aid stations to refill. Yes it will slow me down but I won't be dropping anything.

I plan on mixing my Carbo-pro with a little water and putting it in a 5-ounce gel flask. I will put one in my tri top pocket and one in my special needs bag. When I stop at an aid station I will put some Gatorade in my speedfil along with the Carbo pro. When I get to special needs I will throw away the first flask and grab the second.

My coach isn't happy with me stopping every hour or so, but it's what I'm comfortable with so its what I'm going to do. My goal is to finish and this plan will help me get there and reduce that stress of filling the bottles on the bike!

Edited by fortissimo 2015-07-09 8:53 AM

2015-07-09 8:54 AM

User image

No, first run is to try to kill us. Second run is to finish us off!
2015-07-09 9:14 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK I thought that I would share a picture from my dog walk yesterday. Not as spectacular as Salty's but this is the fire trail in the paddock behind our house. (Oh and the dog bums belong to Gerrie, Dee and Jazz, our 3 youngest puppies)
YAY DOGGIES!!! ok so I'm just over 5 weeks out from IMMT and random crap keeps popping up in my head - partially my own fault for reading everything I can on full distances tris and MT in particular. So here's one: There are aid stations every 10 miles and people say "don't make your bike a buffet" so I'm trying to travel light and I'm thinking about two bottles to start. Ok so when I need another bottle am I supposed to grab it, fill my xlab torpedo AND put in my Infinit from what, a ziploc baggie I assume? I don't see any of that going well without stopping LOL

Well, first of all would be to get an idea of the total water and total nutrition you might need to get through the event. Then look at the carrying and refilling options. When people have something like Infinite I get confused when they just say "bottles". Is the Infinite included in the two bottles or is that another? Meaning are you looking at 2 or 3 bottles, or is that number also the question? Start with the total for each you think you'll need, for each of the water and for the nutrition.

The comment about a buffet is more because some will load up with things like multiple sandwiches hanging all over and 5-6 water bottles. You're also not a pro or an age-grouper who is trying to really max out their performance. Just trying to have a good race. Pulling over to the side for the mixing is just fine. Or for anything you are not comfortable doing while in motion. More people should do that. Getting 2 feet on the ground again for a moment can do a lot for your psyche too in such a long event.

2015-07-09 9:38 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by brigby1

YAY DOGGIES!!! ok so I'm just over 5 weeks out from IMMT and random crap keeps popping up in my head - partially my own fault for reading everything I can on full distances tris and MT in particular. So here's one: There are aid stations every 10 miles and people say "don't make your bike a buffet" so I'm trying to travel light and I'm thinking about two bottles to start. Ok so when I need another bottle am I supposed to grab it, fill my xlab torpedo AND put in my Infinit from what, a ziploc baggie I assume? I don't see any of that going well without stopping LOL

Well, first of all would be to get an idea of the total water and total nutrition you might need to get through the event. Then look at the carrying and refilling options. When people have something like Infinite I get confused when they just say "bottles". Is the Infinite included in the two bottles or is that another? Meaning are you looking at 2 or 3 bottles, or is that number also the question? Start with the total for each you think you'll need, for each of the water and for the nutrition.

The comment about a buffet is more because some will load up with things like multiple sandwiches hanging all over and 5-6 water bottles. You're also not a pro or an age-grouper who is trying to really max out their performance. Just trying to have a good race. Pulling over to the side for the mixing is just fine. Or for anything you are not comfortable doing while in motion. More people should do that. Getting 2 feet on the ground again for a moment can do a lot for your psyche too in such a long event.

Yeah I think I'll have to stop! If it were just water I think I could refill the bottle while moving.

I'm good with the amount and number of bottles (I think - but I do pack 1 extra). 1 Bottle = approx 1 hour and 1 "dose" of Infinit.

next random item in my head: I'm baffled by the thought of special needs handling 2000+ bags for everyone. Add to that I read that most people put frozen bottles in the bags - uh doesn't that make them all really heavy?

2015-07-09 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Start with two bottles.  One bottle should be disposable, the other your xlab torpedo.  Finish the first bottle before the bottle exchange.  Drop your empty, get a new bottle, put it in your cage.   I can't help you with the infinit specifically.

Q1: I know some people mix infinit in a strong solution to dilute it on course.  Could you get four bottles with in two 5 oz squirt bottles (like a Hammer Gel Flash or Fuel Belt one)?  

Q2: What are you wearing on the bike?  Bike jersey or tri top?  I'm asking because of pockets.

2015-07-09 9:39 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Dog butts!!  Looks like a cool trail.

My 2 cents on the fluids on the bike thing, based on my extremely limited experience:  I took throwaway bottles to 70.3 Syracuse, anticipating taking new bottles there and tossing what I brought.  Well the bottles they were giving were Gatorade and water in bottles like one would buy in a grocery store. My holder between my handlebars (a Chimp cage) only securely holds regular, standard-sized/width bike bottles, and by the number of fallen bottles I saw on the road, I wasn't counting on the Gatorade bottle staying in my downtube cage securely, either, so I stopped and a volunteer helped me fill both.  Yeah, I stopped, but it wasn't for long and I didn't litter/lose my hydration.

Edited by melbo55 2015-07-09 9:44 AM

2015-07-09 9:43 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmkizer

Start with two bottles.  One bottle should be disposable, the other your xlab torpedo.  Finish the first bottle before the bottle exchange.  Drop your empty, get a new bottle, put it in your cage.   I can't help you with the infinit specifically.

Q1: I know some people mix infinit in a strong solution to dilute it on course.  Could you get four bottles with in two 5 oz squirt bottles (like a Hammer Gel Flash or Fuel Belt one)?  

Q2: What are you wearing on the bike?  Bike jersey or tri top?  I'm asking because of pockets.

bike jersey definitely for the pockets!!
hadn't thought about premixing in smaller bottles like you and Robin suggest......
2015-07-09 9:44 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Dog butts!!  Looks like a cool trail.

Sweet!  How fast do those pups go?  I can't imagine it being more than an amble, but they do have a fair amount of youthful energy...

2015-07-09 9:52 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Denver, CO

Had a good race yesterday.  It was rainy and muddy and I finished 18/19 OA but I feel really good about my time and performance.  Even with several 1 min. walking intervals, my average pace was 9:26 mpm, which is good for me, and I had enough left to put in a good hard effort at the end.  Plus we had 4 water crossings, which were a blast!

Felt a lot better about this race than the last one, mostly because my knee is feeling better and wasn't the limiting factor it was last time.  I'm not sure if it's because I'm only running 1x/week right now or because I'm using a knee band thingie, but even so, I'll take it.  I'll try to do a RR this weekend.  I'm getting a little behind.

I'm also feeling more positive about the bike route for my tri.  Thanks again for all the encouragement!

2015-07-09 9:54 AM

Master
Northern IL

Yeah I think I'll have to stop! If it were just water I think I could refill the bottle while moving. I'm good with the amount and number of bottles (I think - but I do pack 1 extra). 1 Bottle = approx 1 hour and 1 "dose" of Infinit.

Follow what Janyne is saying on the bottles and changing.

next random item in my head: I'm baffled by the thought of special needs handling 2000+ bags for everyone. Add to that I read that most people put frozen bottles in the bags - uh doesn't that make them all really heavy?

I don't know if "most" people actually do that though a lot likely will. A lot of people also don't use special needs. Remember that it's in the name, special. It's available, but you don't have to use it. Is there something special that you'll really need? Is the amount of nutrition or something becoming rather cumbersome (it shouldn't be, but it happens)?

Frozen bottles shouldn't be any heavier than unfrozen. Remember that ice floats.

2015-07-09 9:55 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo
Let me just get this out in the open - I'm clumsy. Especially with water bottles on the bike! I can't hold on to one to save my life so I have a Speedfil (Gatorade)on the down tube and a Torpedo (water) between my bars. Yes, two straws and I look like a goof but I don't care because I can't drop either one! I will be stopping at aid stations to refill. Yes it will slow me down but I won't be dropping anything. I plan on mixing my Carbo-pro with a little water and putting it in a 5-ounce gel flask. I will put one in my tri top pocket and one in my special needs bag. When I stop at an aid station I will put some Gatorade in my speedfil along with the Carbo pro. When I get to special needs I will throw away the first flask and grab the second. My coach isn't happy with me stopping every hour or so, but it's what I'm comfortable with so its what I'm going to do. My goal is to finish and this plan will help me get there and reduce that stress of filling the bottles on the bike!

I think that the most important thing is to have a plan.  The plan should be simple/uncomplicated.

My plan

• Swim (likely in wetsuit) in bra and tri shorts
  • T1- Add bike jersey on bike (will be in 50s to start)
  • Bike: Two EFS liquid shot bottles in jersey pockets, three Clif Shot Bloks (cut in half) in Bento, one serving EFS in each of two bottles
  • One Shot Blok every 20 minutes. Fill BTA before aid station add 1/2 EFS, drop bottle, get new bottle at aid station. 
  • Plan B - extra flask of EFS in special needs in case I drop one, extra gel taped under saddle (SN bag will contain extra tube, CO2, EFS)
  • T2 - remove jersey, lube liberally, add tri top, run.
  • Run - drink 1+ cup of fluid at each aid station and 1 Gu-type gel every 45 minutes starting at the first aid station.  Stick with this at least the first two laps. Add Coke sooner rather than later.  Consume what you can tolerate on the final lap.
  • Finish with both arms up and a smile on my face. 

2015-07-09 9:55 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by laffinrock

Had a good race yesterday.  It was rainy and muddy and I finished 18/19 OA but I feel really good about my time and performance.  Even with several 1 min. walking intervals, my average pace was 9:26 mpm, which is good for me, and I had enough left to put in a good hard effort at the end.  Plus we had 4 water crossings, which were a blast!

Felt a lot better about this race than the last one, mostly because my knee is feeling better and wasn't the limiting factor it was last time.  I'm not sure if it's because I'm only running 1x/week right now or because I'm using a knee band thingie, but even so, I'll take it.  I'll try to do a RR this weekend.  I'm getting a little behind.

I'm also feeling more positive about the bike route for my tri.  Thanks again for all the encouragement!

Nice going Mary!

2015-07-09 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock

Woo hoo!  Let's hear it for a feeling better knee!  Not to mention a happy pace and four fun water crossings :-)

2015-07-09 9:59 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by fortissimo
Let me just get this out in the open - I'm clumsy. Especially with water bottles on the bike! I can't hold on to one to save my life so I have a Speedfil (Gatorade)on the down tube and a Torpedo (water) between my bars. Yes, two straws and I look like a goof but I don't care because I can't drop either one! I will be stopping at aid stations to refill. Yes it will slow me down but I won't be dropping anything. I plan on mixing my Carbo-pro with a little water and putting it in a 5-ounce gel flask. I will put one in my tri top pocket and one in my special needs bag. When I stop at an aid station I will put some Gatorade in my speedfil along with the Carbo pro. When I get to special needs I will throw away the first flask and grab the second. My coach isn't happy with me stopping every hour or so, but it's what I'm comfortable with so its what I'm going to do. My goal is to finish and this plan will help me get there and reduce that stress of filling the bottles on the bike!

I think that the most important thing is to have a plan.  The plan should be simple/uncomplicated.

My plan

• Swim (likely in wetsuit) in bra and tri shorts
  • T1- Add bike jersey on bike (will be in 50s to start)
  • Bike: Two EFS liquid shot bottles in jersey pockets, three Clif Shot Bloks (cut in half) in Bento, one serving EFS in each of two bottles
  • One Shot Blok every 20 minutes. Fill BTA before aid station add 1/2 EFS, drop bottle, get new bottle at aid station. 
  • Plan B - extra flask of EFS in special needs in case I drop one, extra gel taped under saddle (SN bag will contain extra tube, CO2, EFS)
  • T2 - remove jersey, lube liberally, add tri top, run.
  • Run - drink 1+ cup of fluid at each aid station and 1 Gu-type gel every 45 minutes starting at the first aid station.  Stick with this at least the first two laps. Add Coke sooner rather than later.  Consume what you can tolerate on the final lap.
  • Finish with both arms up and a smile on my face. 

I think the last one is the toughest to remember!!! Thanks - I'll practice next week!!

So how many bottles do you go through on a full? am I reading right 4?

Awesome Mary! I had a race in the mud this week too - we must be mudders!! Or maybe it's a mountain bike thing. Finishing covered in mud makes me feel like a bad a$$!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2015-07-09 10:01 AM
2015-07-09 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yeah I think I'll have to stop! If it were just water I think I could refill the bottle while moving. I'm good with the amount and number of bottles (I think - but I do pack 1 extra). 1 Bottle = approx 1 hour and 1 "dose" of Infinit.

Follow what Janyne is saying on the bottles and changing.

I don't know if "most" people actually do that though a lot likely will. A lot of people also don't use special needs. Remember that it's in the name, special. It's available, but you don't have to use it. Is there something special that you'll really need? Is the amount of nutrition or something becoming rather cumbersome (it shouldn't be, but it happens)?

Frozen bottles shouldn't be any heavier than unfrozen. Remember that ice floats.

I'm using SN as a safety valve.  If I drop something, etc. I don't plan to stop but I do plan to have an SN bag on the bike.

ETA: You may not get your SN bag back. Don't put anything in it that you are unwilling to lose.

Edited by jmkizer 2015-07-09 10:02 AM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68402 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29146 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38644 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67871 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.