BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 440

2013-10-22 11:29 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes)
it is a little displaced and impacted - a piece has broken off somewhere in there!

It will heal way quicker with surgery and will heal properly.

Tri season on hold!

Now looking for run races.

2013-10-23 2:12 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by switch

So, all you Jesse and Lauren stalkers check out this page on occasion, right?

THANK YOU CHRIS!

He is, quite possibly, the most photogenic man on the planet.

You're welcome, but I thought I held that title

You only hint to the existence of such photos.  If you actually produce said photos we may be able to have a "pic-off".

I'm waiting until I race "Old School" in a Speedo. Although, I would need to be speedier to do that. One would not want to try that look unless one is able to put down a respectable finishing time.

Sez you! If I'm racin' in a Speedo, it's not just gonna be me subject to maximum exposure!

2013-10-23 2:18 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by jobaxas it is a little displaced and impacted - a piece has broken off somewhere in there! It will heal way quicker with surgery and will heal properly. Tri season on hold! Now looking for run races.

Oh dear dear dear. But yes, surgery is called for and especially at this stage without it you might be looking at necrotic nastiness ... "looking for run races" Jojo you are ever the glorious warrior! Love love love!

2013-10-23 6:01 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Veteran
East Texas
I did something stupid.........

Last Saturday my left ankle began to have some soreness in it. Sunday after my long run it was worse. I took Monday off as I usually do and last night went for a short run and again was very sore. I immediately figured out the problem. Saturday I transitioned into new shoes. They are the exact same model but just brand new. The extra cushion caused the soreness in my ankle.

Don't change anything race week!!! I know that but somehow failed anyway. Aaaaggggggg Lesson learned.

Now I am going back to my old shoes until after my race Sunday
2013-10-23 6:12 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by brigby1

Oh. Dear. God. I am so feelin it.

Do you know what's cooler than being an Elliptigo World Champion?  Being a cheerleader (coughhecklercough) for a EWC in the making.

JT, are you man enough for all this?

And it's in San Diego, knowwhatimsayin? 

But the timing is all off...looks like it's in early September, and my guess is JT is going to be doin the 70.3 Worlds right about then.  Ben, you have a direct line to him or something, right? What's the word? 

If by "direct line" you mean receiving the Picky Bar newsletter, then yes.

Pulled an off-the-wall 1:09 100 scy at end of practice tonight. No buoy either.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?  Oh, that is so freakin awesome.  At the END of practice?  Good lord.

I thought you said you read his blog or something, maybe it was just the PB newsletter.  BTW, have you tried PB?  Are they any good? 

2013-10-23 6:16 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Oh...today was the first day of my marathon training! Using Hal's Novice 1 plan...with the total understanding that even this will have a steep learning curve for me as 13.1 (maybe 13.3) is my longest run, race or otherwise. Picked up Daniels' Running Formula as my next reading. Since it seems I'll be doing a lot of it for the next 19 weeks, I'll arm (and leg) myself accordingly. ;)

Ooooooh!  Congratulations :) This is very exciting!

What marathon are you targeting?

FYI, the JD book club thread is still open in the Challenges, and there are a few very knowledgeable souls in there should you have questions with the reading (Ben and Salty being two of the best).

2013-10-23 7:33 AM
in reply to: switch

Master
Northern IL

Do you know what's cooler than being an Elliptigo World Champion?  Being a cheerleader (coughhecklercough) for a EWC in the making.

But the timing is all off...looks like it's in early September, and my guess is JT is going to be doin the 70.3 Worlds right about then.  Ben, you have a direct line to him or something, right? What's the word? 

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?  Oh, that is so freakin awesome.  At the END of practice?  Good lord.

I thought you said you read his blog or something, maybe it was just the PB newsletter.  BTW, have you tried PB?  Are they any good? 

I do read the blog too, but don't really comment. Many others already do so. And yes, have tried the Picky Bars and they work well. I tend to save them for races and the bigger rides I travel to, using some cheaper things for most training. Still hoping to find a gel that works again as those are *really* hard to beat when they work. Otherwise it's good to know I have something I can depend on with these, not a small order with me.

And another yeah, still contemplating that from practice. More so the descending throughout the whole thing, not just one rep. Don't remember if it came up when you were asking more about swimming, but making sure to hit some fast things on a regular basis has been very helpful. Kind of like how strides and occasional R-pace work helps out your running form, fast 25's or 50's have been vital for improved swimming. Lots of strong threshold sets to build up fitness and the occasional fast one to figure out how to go faster. That might be oversimplifying, but it's been easier to understand at first that way. Even 2-4 of them in a session has done a lot.

2013-10-23 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Switch, the whole JT discussion got me thinking that you need a Twitter account, if you don't have one. I follow a bunch of pro triathletes, a number of musicians (my other love), a few companies, a couple of magazines that I am interested in, and a few funny folks as well. Oh yeah, I also follow one Manatee and she posts her workouts on there. I have such a long way to go

Anyway, many people and companies use it to post links to their information. I have found it can be quite interesting at times and it gives me a quick snapshot of a variety of information. 

And here are a few DubSix race photos for you: https://plus.google.com/photos/113601404233718914952/albums/5786154006085235329

2013-10-23 7:46 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jobaxas it is a little displaced and impacted - a piece has broken off somewhere in there! It will heal way quicker with surgery and will heal properly. Tri season on hold! Now looking for run races.

Ouch, so sorry to hear, yet it is a good thing that you can get it taken care of properly. Good Luck.

2013-10-23 7:47 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by JJ- I did something stupid......... Last Saturday my left ankle began to have some soreness in it. Sunday after my long run it was worse. I took Monday off as I usually do and last night went for a short run and again was very sore. I immediately figured out the problem. Saturday I transitioned into new shoes. They are the exact same model but just brand new. The extra cushion caused the soreness in my ankle. Don't change anything race week!!! I know that but somehow failed anyway. Aaaaggggggg Lesson learned. Now I am going back to my old shoes until after my race Sunday

I hope all works out for you. Good luck on Sunday.

2013-10-23 8:18 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by JJ- I did something stupid......... Last Saturday my left ankle began to have some soreness in it. Sunday after my long run it was worse. I took Monday off as I usually do and last night went for a short run and again was very sore. I immediately figured out the problem. Saturday I transitioned into new shoes. They are the exact same model but just brand new. The extra cushion caused the soreness in my ankle. Don't change anything race week!!! I know that but somehow failed anyway. Aaaaggggggg Lesson learned. Now I am going back to my old shoes until after my race Sunday

I hope all works out for you. Good luck on Sunday.

I'm kind of surprised at that since it was the exact same type of shoe, but definitely play it safe and good luck!

2013-10-23 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jobaxas Wrist is screwed and on Monday it will get broken and screwed. That is all.

Ah poo!  Well, we do want it to heal up properly but dang, it's taking long enough :-(

2013-10-23 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm glad that you figured out the problem!  That was a close one!

2013-10-23 9:38 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Hallloooooooo Manatees!  

Jo - I'm so sorry to hear about the wrist, but hopefully the surgery will speed up the healing process!

Erin - maybe you should use your own motivation pic for your marathon training???    

Ben - DUUUUDE!  1:09/100??   That's ssssssssmokin'!  

JJ - Glad you found out BEFORE race day about the shoes!

Salty - still faching fast as fach - you soooo freakin' impress me, woman

Switch - we will seriously have to co-ordinate a Bernie Lean for next year

Darren - I wish I had some advice or comments to make about your bike photos... other than YOU look fit!

Chris - I have a twitter account that I don't use a whole lot right now, who do you follow?  

Janyne - it's THIS weekend!!  You ready for this??  :D  

2013-10-23 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by jobaxas Wrist is screwed and on Monday it will get broken and screwed. That is all.

I'm so sorry.

2013-10-23 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by jobaxasit is a little displaced and impacted - a piece has broken off somewhere in there!It will heal way quicker with surgery and will heal properly.Tri season on hold!Now looking for run races.
Well that stinks! Glad it's getting taken care of though.

2013-10-23 10:17 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Of course we're ready!

2013-10-23 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I don't know anything about your fit, but you're lookin good Darren!

Agreed. Maybe post in the main forum?
2013-10-23 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Holy moly, you're fast!
2013-10-23 10:23 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Switch, the whole JT discussion got me thinking that you need a Twitter account, if you don't have one. I follow a bunch of pro triathletes, a number of musicians (my other love), a few companies, a couple of magazines that I am interested in, and a few funny folks as well. Oh yeah, I also follow one Manatee and she posts her workouts on there. I have such a long way to go

Anyway, many people and companies use it to post links to their information. I have found it can be quite interesting at times and it gives me a quick snapshot of a variety of information. 

And here are a few DubSix race photos for you: https://plus.google.com/photos/113601404233718914952/albums/5786154006085235329

Wooo-hooo--Chris, lookin good!  I love that black and orange kit!  You know it wasn't the race photos I was hinting at, but I'm glad i got to see them anyway   Very nice!

I set up a twitter account a four or five years ago, but I totally didn't understand what it was, or how to do it.  Yeah, OK, fast forward, and I still don't understand it. I really need to hire a 13 yo tutor or something.

So how do you do it?

2013-10-23 10:29 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer

Of course we're ready!

WOOT!!!   

2013-10-23 10:35 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I do read the blog too, but don't really comment. Many others already do so. And yes, have tried the Picky Bars and they work well. I tend to save them for races and the bigger rides I travel to, using some cheaper things for most training. Still hoping to find a gel that works again as those are *really* hard to beat when they work. Otherwise it's good to know I have something I can depend on with these, not a small order with me.

And another yeah, still contemplating that from practice. More so the descending throughout the whole thing, not just one rep. Don't remember if it came up when you were asking more about swimming, but making sure to hit some fast things on a regular basis has been very helpful. Kind of like how strides and occasional R-pace work helps out your running form, fast 25's or 50's have been vital for improved swimming. Lots of strong threshold sets to build up fitness and the occasional fast one to figure out how to go faster. That might be oversimplifying, but it's been easier to understand at first that way. Even 2-4 of them in a session has done a lot.

This is helpful.  I definitely feel like my form starts to just fall apart at the end of my swimming sessions.  I am really trying to do fast stuff every time I go though.

A few more fishy questions for the group:

One of the thing I'm struggling with a bit is where to place my arm for the initiation of my stroke.  I know I shouldn't cross over, but I don't want to go too wide either.  When I have good rotation my arm placement feels pretty narrow at the catch, and it feels like it has to be to feel that medial delt to the chin/cheek connection.  Is there some other kinesthetic or other cue I should be looking for to know I'm doing it right?

A guy who swims at the pool was commenting how the final third of the stroke is where a lot of people lose speed, and I haven't been particularly focused on that (probably thinking too much about the EVF).  Do you all feel like your power through the entire stroke is consistent?  Do you actively push water back/push yourself forward in the final third of the stroke? 

At this stage of my swimming is it more important to have longer RIs and shorter sets when my form starts to fall apart, or is it actually better to push through at this point and keep a shorter  RI?  Maybe it's not an either or, but I hear/read people talk about this with two very distinct school of thought:  you don't want to have bad form and reinforce bad technique v it's good to push when you're really tired in swimming because that's where you'll get the big gains and it's ok if your form suffers a bit because eventually you will figure out how to adapt to make the SO.

2013-10-23 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Nice photos!
2013-10-23 10:50 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by jmkizer

Of course we're ready!

WOOT!!!   

GOOD LUCK B2Bers!!!

2013-10-23 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by JJ-

I did something stupid.........

Last Saturday my left ankle began to have some soreness in it. Sunday after my long run it was worse. I took Monday off as I usually do and last night went for a short run and again was very sore. I immediately figured out the problem. Saturday I transitioned into new shoes. They are the exact same model but just brand new. The extra cushion caused the soreness in my ankle.

Don't change anything race week!!! I know that but somehow failed anyway. Aaaaggggggg Lesson learned.

Now I am going back to my old shoes until after my race Sunday

Thanks for that advice, Jonathan! I would forget that the new shoes would be more cushioned, even though it is logical, and would have done the same thing. Thanks for sharing,
Nancy
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  

of 440