BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 440

2013-10-23 9:06 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes)

Originally posted by Asalzwed Yeah they will be in the next Terry catalog I believe. The beach cruiser wasn't an actual example, sorry for the confusion. And I'm wondering about the perspective of performance driven athletes which is why I'm asking. Not getting into their actual target audience.

I would not be interested if that was the question.  I know a few people that might be if it was inexpensive enough.

2013-10-23 9:36 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Asalzwed Yeah they will be in the next Terry catalog I believe. The beach cruiser wasn't an actual example, sorry for the confusion. And I'm wondering about the perspective of performance driven athletes which is why I'm asking. Not getting into their actual target audience.

I doubt any of the manly men that I ride with would be interested. 

2013-10-23 9:39 PM

Master
Northern IL

I don't have any interest. I see what they're trying to do, but something like that would look way more out of place with any type of riding I do than a normal helmet. Not sure other performance types I know would be either, unless they did it as part of a gag outfit or costume.

2013-10-23 10:45 PM
in reply to: #4723700

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Can't quote since the site been playing up, but....
Salty, I've seen something similar being sold over here, but its not marketed as an aesthetic accessory, but is intended more for the hard ass commuters/riders who go out in torrential rain and sub zero Celsius temps 365 days of the year. They tend to be made of a waterproof high visibility material that has clips in place to attach headlights etc. if I were out in that weather daily/weekly, then I would get one. But if its just to be more aesthetically pleasing, then nope.
2013-10-24 3:51 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by AsalzwedYeah they will be in the next Terry catalog I believe. The beach cruiser wasn't an actual example, sorry for the confusion. And I'm wondering about the perspective of performance driven athletes which is why I'm asking. Not getting into their actual target audience.
I wouldn't wear one myself and would think it would cut down on air flow, so around these hot parts that would be a big down side. But, to each their own.
2013-10-24 7:52 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by brigby1

I don't have any interest. I see what they're trying to do, but something like that would look way more out of place with any type of riding I do than a normal helmet. Not sure other performance types I know would be either, unless they did it as part of a gag outfit or costume.

+1

2013-10-24 7:54 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Regular
LHOTP

SO EXCITED FOR YOU B2Bers!

EAT WELL.

SLEEP TIGHT.

RACE YOUR RACE!

Thinking about you guys a lot. xo.

2013-10-24 8:17 AM

User image

Melon Presser

GO TANGERINES!!!

GO NYNY!!!

2013-10-24 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by switch

SO EXCITED FOR YOU B2Bers!

EAT WELL.

SLEEP TIGHT.

RACE YOUR RACE!

Thinking about you guys a lot. xo.

Woo hoo!!! Can't wait to stalk you both
2013-10-24 8:35 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Janyne asked that I post this, and I couldn't wait until Friday. I'm too excited!!!

October 26-27
Janyne -  Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon on Saturday 
Monica -  Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon on Saturday 

Kate - Spartan Beast Sacramento on Saturday

Jonathan TX - Ironman 70.3 Austin on Sunday

Disabled list: 
Yanti - our DL headliner!
Jen - stress fracture recovery
Jo - broken wrist (surgery on Monday)

It is very cool that the DL is shorter than the racing list. YEAH!!!!

My apologies if your colors are not up to your liking.

2013-10-24 8:50 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle
W00t W00t go racers!!! Chris your impatience is killin me! What day is it? Who am I?

2013-10-24 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by cdban66

Janyne asked that I post this, and I couldn't wait until Friday. I'm too excited!!!

October 26-27

Disabled list: 

GO JANYNE!!!
GO MONICA!!!
GO KATE!!!
GO JONATHAN!!!
2013-10-24 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Asalzwed

W00t W00t go racers!!! Chris your impatience is killin me! What day is it? Who am I?
Salty if it makes you feel better it is Friday in New Zealand, Sydney, Melbourne and will be in Brisbane in 2 minutes time.
2013-10-24 9:00 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

GO KATIEFROG!

GO TEJAS!

I hope you get your shoe thing sorted ... as Salty said I'd go with the new ones, too, a few short super easy runs in them before. Maybe wear 'em around for a day if you can.

2013-10-24 9:11 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Good luck Kate!

Go Jonathan!  Hope you're feeling all better, there are no storms, and the shoes are g2g :)

2013-10-24 9:40 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I've got a question for you all.

You can be 100% honest in your answers (of course this is always encouraged )

My friend's mom started this company and as it has gained traction, my friend has actually quit her job to help out her mom. The product is basically a ... hat for your bike helmet. For the most part, the hat is just an accessory to stylize an otherwise ugly bike helmet. But they also have a waterproof version. Overall though, purely an aesthetic product. As I said, they have gained some traction and have started to make the bike expo circuits (interbike and some of the big expos in Europe and Australia etc.)

As people from a much more performance oriented world. What are your thoughts? Would you just deem it as "silly" or, for those more casual beach cruiser types of days could you actually see yourself wanting something like this? (they fit every single type of helmet) Obviously you wouldn't use it on race day or anything.

I'm not asking as part of market research or anything. And I kind of wanted to ask in TT but didn't want to sound like I was backdoor marketing .  I just know my opinion and am curious if you guys have the same thoughts. 

I've seen a similar (or maybe the same) product mentioned by Bike Snob, I think it was for men.  Personally I don't see the appeal for it because it makes the wearer look like they are wearing some sort of cartoonish, oversized hat. I'd rather be seen wearing a bike helmet, but then again I'm no fashionista.

2013-10-24 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Salty and Yanti, I am going to go with the new shoes. Interesting I called my coach and it has happened to her also. It's because we wear Newtons and because of the lug system the new shoes take a few weeks to get used to even tho they are same make and model as my old shoes. Coach says go with new shoes as my old shoes will probably cause a different set of issues since I haven't worn them in a week.

New shoes it is

Ankle is very tender today but I had it massaged pretty deep last night so hopefully I will be good to go by Sunday. Headed to Austin first thing in the morning. Can't wait!!!!

BIB Number is 1776 If anyone has time to check in on my during the day Sunday on the Ironman website. Always motivating knowing y'all are keeping track of me.
2013-10-24 9:44 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

October 26-27

Disabled list: 

Chris, I understand your impatience totally!  Besides, this gives us an extra day to send well-wishes!

GO Janyne!!
GO
Monica!!

GO
Kate!!

GO
Jonathan!!

And please heal, dear DL-ers.  Poor JoJo.

2013-10-24 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4883465

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
So 'cited to stalk our racers this weekend!!!!

Go get em!

Janyne and Monica you will rock B2B!

Jonathan you are prepared, you will own Austin!

Kate you have so much fun at those obstacle runs, can't wait to hear how you dominate this one!
2013-10-24 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4883689

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
As for the helmet cover.... Um, no. Looks military issue! Besides my helmet colors match my bike!
2013-10-24 10:45 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by rrrunnerSo 'cited to stalk our racers this weekend!!!! Go get em!Janyne and Monica you will rock B2B!Jonathan you are prepared, you will own Austin!Kate you have so much fun at those obstacle runs, can't wait to hear how you dominate this one!
Agree with all the above!

2013-10-24 10:54 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando
I guess I was really out of it this morning when I put in a fresh pair of contacts. Seems I put the wrong strength contact in my left eye. Since the difference b/w my right and left eye prescription is pretty big, I'm a little of kilter. The really sad part is it took me about 5 hours to figure out why everything seemed a bit fuzzy today! Now I spend a lot of time walking around with my left eye closed. I think people are starting to talk
2013-10-24 10:55 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by melbo55

I've got a question for you all.

You can be 100% honest in your answers (of course this is always encouraged )

My friend's mom started this company and as it has gained traction, my friend has actually quit her job to help out her mom. The product is basically a ... hat for your bike helmet. For the most part, the hat is just an accessory to stylize an otherwise ugly bike helmet. But they also have a waterproof version. Overall though, purely an aesthetic product. As I said, they have gained some traction and have started to make the bike expo circuits (interbike and some of the big expos in Europe and Australia etc.)

As people from a much more performance oriented world. What are your thoughts? Would you just deem it as "silly" or, for those more casual beach cruiser types of days could you actually see yourself wanting something like this? (they fit every single type of helmet) Obviously you wouldn't use it on race day or anything.

I'm not asking as part of market research or anything. And I kind of wanted to ask in TT but didn't want to sound like I was backdoor marketing .  I just know my opinion and am curious if you guys have the same thoughts. 

I've seen a similar (or maybe the same) product mentioned by Bike Snob, I think it was for men.  Personally I don't see the appeal for it because it makes the wearer look like they are wearing some sort of cartoonish, oversized hat. I'd rather be seen wearing a bike helmet, but then again I'm no fashionista.

It probably was theirs as they have a pretty extensive patent.

Yeah, I was just curious.

Obviously the demographic is more of the urbanite/ fashion forward type. Which I totally identify with. I enjoy riding my bike/running errands like, going to the bar/grocery shopping/etc and I prefer to spare everyone from seeing camel toe so I opt for more "casual" multifunctional attire and this fits well with that category. So it's a bit of a niche. It's too bad I have such a tiny head!  

They have been most successful in Europe for sure, which totally makes sense. 

2013-10-24 10:57 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

You have to kind of pick and choose who you follow, some folks go nuts. DO NOT follow Rev3 on race day, it gets nuts.  I'll also add someone during a period of time or event, then unfollow when the event is over.

Yep, this happened with Kona.  My twitter feed was nothing but time splits which got old really, really fast.  

I have to ask -- what is everyone's twitter id?

I'm @jmkizer

Also, what's your favorite twitter tool?  I've been using TweetDeck at work.  I just keep it running off to the side.  I'm not good about following twitter at home.  Or FB either for that matter.  I just don't spend a lot of time online at home -- Words With Friends being the big exception there!

@cdban

You are the Manatee I mentioned before, if you didn't figure that out I just use the Android Twitter App. It works fine. I used a couple of others and they were cludgey. I had Friend Stream running on the phone, which pulls in all your social media accounts, but it was a resource hog. I rarely tweet about anything other than my Strava workouts or drunk people that I run into when we go out at night. I always like a good drunk person story, which is probably why I follow TFLN.

@blueyedbikrgirl

So far I've just been using the Twitter App on my iPhone, but I think I might check out TweetDeck.  I really don't tweet about a whole lot and tend to use FB more to be in touch with friends... it's more of an amusement thing for me.     

@fvsp1213 I just joined about 10 minutes ago. lol

2013-10-24 11:00 AM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Seattle

I kind of feel like I should be on the racing list this weekend, for I am taking two toddlers (2 of my nieces) to a halloween dance party. OMG. I should have trained for this.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  

of 440