BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 440

2013-10-24 11:02 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by melbo55

I've got a question for you all.

You can be 100% honest in your answers (of course this is always encouraged )

My friend's mom started this company and as it has gained traction, my friend has actually quit her job to help out her mom. The product is basically a ... hat for your bike helmet. For the most part, the hat is just an accessory to stylize an otherwise ugly bike helmet. But they also have a waterproof version. Overall though, purely an aesthetic product. As I said, they have gained some traction and have started to make the bike expo circuits (interbike and some of the big expos in Europe and Australia etc.)

As people from a much more performance oriented world. What are your thoughts? Would you just deem it as "silly" or, for those more casual beach cruiser types of days could you actually see yourself wanting something like this? (they fit every single type of helmet) Obviously you wouldn't use it on race day or anything.

I'm not asking as part of market research or anything. And I kind of wanted to ask in TT but didn't want to sound like I was backdoor marketing .  I just know my opinion and am curious if you guys have the same thoughts. 

I've seen a similar (or maybe the same) product mentioned by Bike Snob, I think it was for men.  Personally I don't see the appeal for it because it makes the wearer look like they are wearing some sort of cartoonish, oversized hat. I'd rather be seen wearing a bike helmet, but then again I'm no fashionista.

It probably was theirs as they have a pretty extensive patent.

Yeah, I was just curious.

Obviously the demographic is more of the urbanite/ fashion forward type. Which I totally identify with. I enjoy riding my bike/running errands like, going to the bar/grocery shopping/etc and I prefer to spare everyone from seeing camel toe so I opt for more "casual" multifunctional attire and this fits well with that category. So it's a bit of a niche. It's too bad I have such a tiny head!  

They have been most successful in Europe for sure, which totally makes sense. 

Rut roh ... I'm gonna redirect my helmet ... me too. Remember, when people call you dense ... they're referring to the high density of brain matter ... right? right?

Kingsley too. The helmet fits him perfectly.

I realize I sent my helmets to the two people who won't let me have them. Maybe my subconscious is looking out for me ...

Anyhow, the fashion helmet covers--not me, but that's a seriously low bar as you all know. HOWEVER ... if I were doing a lot of bike commuting (like I was in LA) and I needed something anyway for warmth and to keep the wet off, and they weren't egregiously expensive, sure. In fact, definitely.

2013-10-24 11:04 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by switch

Per my TT post, I was trying to solve my insole issue for my racing flats.

I contacted Running Warehouse, just to ask if they could recommend an adhesive or if I should contact NB. I got an immediate response from them, just telling me to ship my shoes back to them (for free) and they would exchange. 

I told them I had a race in a week and a half and was curious if I should just wait until after to send them back. Their customer service rep AGAIN promptly responded that my new shoes were being shipped 2nd day air, shortly. 

So happy with them.

It's amazing, especially in this day of FB and twitter and interweb stuff in general, that more companies do not understand the power of this kind of customer service.  You have literally now told hundreds of people this story--just through a post or two.  I have never purchased anything from Running Warehouse before, but guess what? I freakin will now. 

Recognize big business. Recognize.

Exactly. After reading her experience, I thought, "Hey. I haven't checked out their site in a while, maybe I should head over there and see what they have."

2013-10-24 11:06 AM

User image

Melon Presser

I kind of feel like I should be on the racing list this weekend, for I am taking two toddlers (2 of my nieces) to a halloween dance party. OMG. I should have trained for this.

HAHAHAHA

Toddlers are much more likely to dance if you put a balloon (on a string) in their hand. I have no idea why. It's just true.

2013-10-24 11:07 AM

Master
Northern IL

I kind of feel like I should be on the racing list this weekend, for I am taking two toddlers (2 of my nieces) to a halloween dance party. OMG. I should have trained for this.

Haha, good luck with that!

2013-10-24 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

SO EXCITED FOR YOU B2Bers!

EAT WELL.

SLEEP TIGHT.

RACE YOUR RACE!

Thinking about you guys a lot. xo.

Have a great race!!!!

2013-10-24 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4883693

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
So one of our hockey boyz has his first college game tonight. So excited I found an online broadcast of it.

I text him to wish him luck and told him we'd see him when he plays in AZ or CO. He said that made his day. The fact that that made his day... made my day!

2013-10-24 11:10 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Melon Presser

I can't stop eating Nutri Grain (antipodes variety, thank you) straight out of the box.

It says Iron Man Food on the front. Does that mean if I eat enough I'll be an Ironman? My stomach seems to think so ...

2013-10-24 11:10 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by cdban66

Janyne asked that I post this, and I couldn't wait until Friday. I'm too excited!!!

October 26-27
Janyne -  Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon on Saturday 
Monica -  Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon on Saturday 

Kate - Spartan Beast Sacramento on Saturday

Jonathan TX - Ironman 70.3 Austin on Sunday

Disabled list: 
Yanti - our DL headliner!
Jen - stress fracture recovery
Jo - broken wrist (surgery on Monday)

It is very cool that the DL is shorter than the racing list. YEAH!!!!

My apologies if your colors are not up to your liking.

Great races this weekend!!! Good luck everyone.

2013-10-24 12:15 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

The biggest dilemma right now is that one niece wants to go in a Duck Dynasty costume, one want's to be a pretty princess but they would like to coordinate. Maybe I will meet them in the middle and be the Duck Dynasty Princess?

2013-10-24 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

The biggest dilemma right now is that one niece wants to go in a Duck Dynasty costume, one want's to be a pretty princess but they would like to coordinate. Maybe I will meet them in the middle and be the Duck Dynasty Princess?

Ok, I did not raise girls (thank God!) but toddlers are already concerned about coordinating?!
2013-10-24 12:22 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

Ok, I did not raise girls (thank God!) but toddlers are already concerned about coordinating?!

Well, I don't think they exactly used that word. More like, "I WANT DO BE A PRINCESS. LET'S BE PRINCESSES!" 

2013-10-24 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Well, I don't think they exactly used that word. More like, "I WANT DO BE A PRINCESS. LET'S BE PRINCESSES!" 

Ahhhh.Yeah, good luck with that.
2013-10-24 2:08 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Does Auntie Adrienne need to dress like a princess, too, or are you allowed to dress in regular clothes?

2013-10-24 2:21 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Does Auntie Adrienne need to dress like a princess, too, or are you allowed to dress in regular clothes?

Partial Cinderella. She lost a shoe part at her last ball

2013-10-24 2:50 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Had my ortho appointment.  Nothing is broken, and he feels optimistic that things are improving, albeit slowly, with rest.  he has cleared me to continue with easy running and said if things are markedly better in 6 weeks we should think about an MRI and possible steroid injection.

Whew.

Salty, this guy was great.  New doc to me.  He was a runner in college and definitely "gets it".  I feel like I'm in good hands even though I essentially did, in fact, drop a few hundred to hear take it easy and RICE ;)

2013-10-24 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Had my ortho appointment.  Nothing is broken, and he feels optimistic that things are improving, albeit slowly, with rest.  he has cleared me to continue with easy running and said if things are markedly better in 6 weeks we should think about an MRI and possible steroid injection.

Whew.

Salty, this guy was great.  New doc to me.  He was a runner in college and definitely "gets it".  I feel like I'm in good hands even though I essentially did, in fact, drop a few hundred to hear take it easy and RICE

Awesome!!!!

2013-10-24 3:00 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

If they decide princess, I most certainly will be one as well.

2013-10-24 3:02 PM

User image

Seattle

Whew.

Salty, this guy was great.  New doc to me.  He was a runner in college and definitely "gets it".  I feel like I'm in good hands even though I essentially did, in fact, drop a few hundred to hear take it easy and RICE

I am really happy to hear this. All of it.

You'll see my proposition in the challenge thread, but please come back VERY easy. It's not worth doing it any other way. And read Shane's fast running post if you need reinforcement. 

2013-10-24 3:07 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Whew.

This is very good news that nothing is broken and the the guy is a good 'fit'!!  In other words, keep up the good work!

2013-10-24 3:09 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

If they decide princess, I most certainly will be one as well.

Awww!!!

2013-10-24 3:10 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Whew.

Salty, this guy was great.  New doc to me.  He was a runner in college and definitely "gets it".  I feel like I'm in good hands even though I essentially did, in fact, drop a few hundred to hear take it easy and RICE ;)

You'll see my proposition in the challenge thread, but please come back VERY easy. It's not worth doing it any other way. And read Shane's fast running post if you need reinforcement. 

Are you momming me?  That feels kinda weird;)

I will tell you my plan, and ask, very humbly I might add, for your feedback.

I read Shans'e post this a.m.  That Shane, he's a good egg.

2013-10-24 3:17 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Whew.

OMG the computer at home goes down for a few days and work is nuts - and you fall 10 BT pages behind. So this looks a good place to jump in.

YAY that you are in good hands!! If your insurance is good I'd ask for the MRI now - no sense in waiting I had 3 last year - good times, good times.

Anyway I see we are getting ready for a big race weekend around here. How's everyone feeling?!!

2013-10-24 3:17 PM

User image

Seattle

Whew.

Are you momming me?  That feels kinda weird

I will tell you my plan, and ask, very humbly I might add, for your feedback.

I read Shans'e post this a.m.  That Shane, he's a good egg.

The ol switch-a-roo

2013-10-24 4:14 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

GOOOOOOO RACING MANATEES!!!

2013-10-24 4:50 PM

User image

Master

Anyone make a camo ball gown?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  

of 440