BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-05-09 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2139902

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
swbkrun - 2009-05-08 7:25 PM
ashort33 - 2009-05-08 5:04 PM

So my goal is to race an olympic distance at the end of this year.  Right now I have no desire to do half or full and would be happy with finishing an olympic strongly (well, strong for me anyway).  What is other's experience along these lines.  Right now I would say that I would be happy just doing sprints with occassional olympic thrown in.  Does anyone else race like this?

Yep... We You all felt that way.  AT ONE POINT !!! I didn't even think this sport seemed interesting the 1st couple times I watched it.... I just did it so I could "get some" from my wife !!   She was a few years into the sport already.  Look at us now!! It's like a drug... YOU WANT MORE!!

Lemme update that for ya...Wink

My first and only triathlon a few weeks back was a 1/4 IM (a few miles longer than an OLY).  So this opinion may/will change but I really love the training for the 1/4 (OLY) distance.  I'd take a handful of these and a half if I could.   I have two sprints before my HIM in June.  I'm sure I'll do more sprints after this simply because I hope my wife takes up this addiction and I'm meeting a ton of other triathletes who only do sprints. 

On that note, the further along I get into this HIM program the more incredible training for IM becomes.  Sounds like a duh comment but when I'm actually out there doing 2 hours on the bike followed by a 5 mile run realizing this is barely scratching the IM training surface...WOW!!!  Props to you Steve and all you guys going long this year!  That is really incredible!

2009-05-09 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

John, last year was my first full year of racing and I ended it with an olympic.  Wow that was tough but a good challenge.  Even with a half under my belt I like the olympic distance the best.  I am not fast so the sprints are fun but they can discourage me if I pay too close attention.  The olympic distance is a good distance to show myself I've improved but not killing myself.  I'll repeat the half but not multiple a year.  Only Steve is dumb driven enough for that. Wink

I think it depends on where you enjoyment level is.  Do you like speed, endurance, or both?  My husband is a natural sprinter so he shines there.  (although I think he'll do a half next year b/c his wife did one; he he he).  Try out some different races and see what you enjoy the most.

2009-05-09 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I had a fabulous swim with a swim coach this morning!  Among other things, she showed me a great drill that really works your core.  She called it a dolphin dive.  You start off with a strong streamline push off the wall, then, keeping your body tight, dive down to the bottom of the pool. Push off the bottom  and return to the surface, (all while moving forward) then take 2 long strokes and repeat the length of the pool.  Don't let your feet touch the bottom and try not to break the streamline body.  It was really hard to keep the forward motion after the first dive but man did I feel the workout.  Great drill.  But you must have your own lane for this one. 
2009-05-09 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2140525

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2009-05-09 12:46 PM

John, last year was my first full year of racing and I ended it with an olympic.  Wow that was tough but a good challenge.  Even with a half under my belt I like the olympic distance the best.  I am not fast so the sprints are fun but they can discourage me if I pay too close attention.  The olympic distance is a good distance to show myself I've improved but not killing myself.  I'll repeat the half but not multiple a year.  Only Steve is dumb driven enough for that. Wink

I think it depends on where you enjoyment level is.  Do you like speed, endurance, or both?  My husband is a natural sprinter so he shines there.  (although I think he'll do a half next year b/c his wife did one; he he he).  Try out some different races and see what you enjoy the most.

Endurance as of now.  I love the training then I LOVED being out there on the course for 3+ hours. But that's not to say a sprint isn't endurance.  To redline for an hour+ like Tony and others is beyond me.   Yeah multiple 1/2's is a lot. I'm off to packet p/u for my first sprint here shortly...so I'll give you a better answer next Sunday.   Also some of the sprints are close to the same $$$ as an OLY.  Whats up w/ that?  

2009-05-09 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2140568

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
So had a very stupid moment today...

Wife and I spent the night at my parents who live about 45 mins outside of DC so we could get to some longer less traffic rides.

Turned out to be a great route, no cars, country roads well paved.  Got about 32 miles out which was just about 1/2 way as we were planning on doing 65 miles or so.  Came up a hill and damn, flatted.  Went through all my tubes and CO2 and wife's tube and CO2.  Ended up pushing my bike back about 10 miles or so while she went on ahead to get the truck took some shortcuts and she ended up riding about 21 miles to get back to the truck.

Got down to about 500 bottles of beer on the wall from 1,000 before she ended up back with the truck.

Mad at myself I didn't grab a pump or repair kit. Still not sure why the new tubes started leaking air, I checked the tire and the rim tape and never saw anything.  Last CO2 was threaded, different from all the rest and when I hooked it up to use it, CO2 just started pouring out so never got to use it...

So lesson learned if I don't have all my stuff just don't do the ride...
2009-05-09 4:16 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Hey guys - hope everyone is having a good weekend.  Mine started off great!  Ran a local 5k this morning and not only got a new PR (30:54, down from old one of 33:17), but got 3rd place in my AG!  It was the first year for this race so not a really big turnout but it was a good race.  Nice course and well run.  I'll definitely do it again next year if possible. 

For tri's, I think I'm going to stick with sprints and maybe one Oly starting in 2010.  HIM & IM I don't think will ever be in the cards for me (but never say neverWink).   My body just seems to be more comfortable with the shorter distances.  Even training for a half marathon (never mind the bike and swim along with it!) is hard for me.  I think if I could just get better at the shorter distances, I'd be happy.  But you never know what could happen down the road.
Janet 

2009-05-09 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2138673

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Plainsman AU - 2009-05-08 11:23 AM
gadgetlaw - 2009-05-07 3:12 PM Do you all use the BT training plans?  I just imported the Basic Oly Plan.  I have never used a training plan before and wondered what others thought about their benefits or drawbacks?
And, I may regret this, but I uploaded a swim video to my profile.  I am open to any and all criticism or suggestions!  Please try to be kind!!  Didn't we have a member many pages ago who offered to help analyze swim videos or answer questions? Who was that??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Karen

Karen,

It didn't look like you were going anywhere in your swim video...looked like you were "standing" still.  The object is to cover some distance  Maybe pull and kick a little harder.

Thanks for making me laugh out loud!!  As slow as I swim, sometimes I feel like I am standing still!! 

Steve - I didn't realize how much I kick until I saw the video, I am working on it, but I do it without thinking!  My last swim, I worked on being more streamlined and "tight"  and I really felt a difference in how hard I was working - it felt a lot easier.  I think I will have to work on one thing at a time.  When I tried to change more than one thing, I would forget half of what I was trying to do, if that makes sense.  Once I get the rocking under control, I think I will move on to the kicks!  Thanks!

Chet - glad you got the all clear!  Enjoy!
2009-05-09 4:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
My husband and I went out for the best sandwiches ever last night.  Primanti Brothers.  MMMMMMmmmmmm.  Cajun chicken, french fries, and coleslaw on Italian bread.  Anybody ever had one?  Of course, today I feel like I need to spend about 5 hours on my bike to work it off!!

2009-05-09 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2140722

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
soccermom15 - 2009-05-09 4:16 PM Hey guys - hope everyone is having a good weekend.  Mine started off great!  Ran a local 5k this morning and not only got a new PR (30:54, down from old one of 33:17), but got 3rd place in my AG!  It was the first year for this race so not a really big turnout but it was a good race.  Nice course and well run.  I'll definitely do it again next year if possible. 

For tri's, I think I'm going to stick with sprints and maybe one Oly starting in 2010.  HIM & IM I don't think will ever be in the cards for me (but never say neverWink).   My body just seems to be more comfortable with the shorter distances.  Even training for a half marathon (never mind the bike and swim along with it!) is hard for me.  I think if I could just get better at the shorter distances, I'd be happy.  But you never know what could happen down the road.
Janet 

Janet-- WAY TO GO!  Not only a big PR, but an AG spot.  Nice stuff.

Tony--BUMMER--not only a shorter ride for you, but your wife rode a lot longer than you did! Your post makes me realize I need to get my act together on tiring changing.  I absolutely cannot get the tire of the rim so all other steps are mute points.  Going to do some more bicep curls so I can do better!   Unless someone has clues how to do it??????
2009-05-09 8:34 PM

User image

Hey gang.  Sorry to have been MIA lately.  We are in Florida and things are crazy.  
Did the Gulf Coast HIM today (thanks everyone for the inspires).  Conditions were really tough...yellow flag today (has been red flags all week) = huge waves,  20 mph headwinds for the bike, and 86 degrees with high humidity for the run.  It was one tough day!  But this is all training for November, so I'm glad it wasn't easy (yep, I can say that 8 hrs after the race).  I'm not happy with my time, and very dissapointed with my run...but now I have focus and will train with more determination.  Good news, ran with a guy who has done IMFL several times and he said today was worse than IMFL has ever been (conditions).     

I'll get the race report up tomorrow and will try to catch up on all the news.   Right now...hitting the jacuzzi 
2009-05-09 8:47 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Way to go Janet, awesome job on the 5K!

Congratulations Linda!  Way to go in tough conditions!  

Suzy, when you are changing tires, is it a flat tire?  Because if you are just practicing, or like I did before I got an extra wheel for the trainer, you have to let almost all of the air out of the tube, then use either your tire iron or push in on the rim of the tire with your fingers to get the tire off one side.  Then run the tire iron along the rim.  It shouldn't take much strength as long as the air is out of the tube.  No bicep curls being done over here!

Monterey is beautiful.  We went for a 2 hour hike through the woods and then the dog and I went for 2 more hours along the coast while Kathy painted the coastline.  I am beat and we are all resting in our beautiful hotel room.  Ripley is snoring  We shall try for a nice run tomorrow.

Hope all the moms have a wonderful Mother's day tomorrow

Edited by kt65 2009-05-09 8:50 PM

2009-05-10 6:12 AM
in reply to: #2141057

User image

Champion
Havin'Fun - 2009-05-09 8:34 PM Hey gang.  Sorry to have been MIA lately.  We are in Florida and things are crazy.  
Did the Gulf Coast HIM today (thanks everyone for the inspires).  Conditions were really tough...yellow flag today (has been red flags all week) = huge waves,  20 mph headwinds for the bike, and 86 degrees with high humidity for the run.  It was one tough day!  But this is all training for November, so I'm glad it wasn't easy (yep, I can say that 8 hrs after the race).  I'm not happy with my time, and very dissapointed with my run...but now I have focus and will train with more determination.  Good news, ran with a guy who has done IMFL several times and he said today was worse than IMFL has ever been (conditions).     

I'll get the race report up tomorrow and will try to catch up on all the news.   Right now...hitting the jacuzzi 

Linda--WAY TO GO!!!!  You finished a race you weren't even going to do and learned a lot.  Congratulations on toughing it out.  It will make the race in November seem so much more manageable.

Kim--thanks for the advice, but the tube was flat.  My bike guy told me my racing tires were really tight so hard to get off. My response "maybe I need something other than racing tires?"  He looked at me funny, smiled and shook his head.
2009-05-10 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2141069

User image

Champion
Great job Janet and Linda, Janet congrats on the PR, and Linda way to go in tough conditions.

Can't wait to read the race reports.

LOL trying to figue out how to log pushing my bike for 90 minutes yesterday... Does that count in the run or bike column?
2009-05-10 7:39 AM

User image

Race report is up.  Don't know how to link it here.  If anyone knows please let me know and I"ll repost.

Thanks.  

Still need to catch up with everyone.   

Edited by Havin'Fun 2009-05-10 7:41 AM
2009-05-10 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2141346

User image

Champion
Havin'Fun - 2009-05-10 8:39 AM Race report is up.  Don't know how to link it here.  If anyone knows please let me know and I"ll repost.

Thanks.  

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=158360&posts=1&start=1
2009-05-10 8:56 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

soccermom15 - 2009-05-09 4:16 PM Hey guys - hope everyone is having a good weekend.  Mine started off great!  Ran a local 5k this morning and not only got a new PR (30:54, down from old one of 33:17), but got 3rd place in my AG!  It was the first year for this race so not a really big turnout but it was a good race.  Nice course and well run.  I'll definitely do it again next year if possible. 

Janet 

Great Job!  Third in AG is an achievement worthy of bragging about!

-Andy

2009-05-10 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2141057

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Havin'Fun - 2009-05-09 8:34 PM Hey gang.  Sorry to have been MIA lately.  We are in Florida and things are crazy.  

Linda, that is outstanding!  That type of wind on a bike will tear you up!  Great Job.

-Andy

2009-05-10 11:08 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Janet and Linda, that's fantastic for both of you!  Janet, huge improvements on that run time!  Keep up the great work.  Linda,  what can I say, I am in awe!  That was a very impressive race in very tough conditions.  You keep rockin' girl and you are going to dominate that full!!!

Look at our group go.  It is only May and we've had so many PR's, TT successes, races completed, bodies healing, fabulous training experiences......we are one super cool group!  Way to go everyone and keep sharing your successes and learning experiences.  We are a collective sponge Laughing 
2009-05-10 11:22 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Way to go Janet and Linda!  

Happy Mother's Day
2009-05-10 1:24 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms.  Kids and I made my wife pancakes with candles.  Yep, we sang Happy Mother's Day to You.  A 6 and 4 year old making pancakes is a sight to behold. 

Now I am off for a workout where I get to RUN!!

Congrats to all of you that raced this weekend.  Go Team swbkrun!  Do we need shirts?

Chet
2009-05-10 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2141619

User image

Champion
cbarnes1 - 2009-05-10 1:24 PM Happy Mother's Day to all the moms.  Kids and I made my wife pancakes with candles.  Yep, we sang Happy Mother's Day to You.  A 6 and 4 year old making pancakes is a sight to behold. 

Now I am off for a workout where I get to RUN!!

Congrats to all of you that raced this weekend.  Go Team swbkrun!  Do we need shirts?

Chet

Hey, I like that idea.  We could wear them when we do a race together!

Enjoy the run!

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-05-10 1:38 PM

2009-05-10 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2141346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Havin'Fun - 2009-05-10 8:39 AM Race report is up.  Don't know how to link it here.  If anyone knows please let me know and I"ll repost.

Thanks.  

Amazing job!  congrats on a great race! 
2009-05-10 8:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
soccermom15 - 2009-05-09 5:16 PM Hey guys - hope everyone is having a good weekend.  Mine started off great!  Ran a local 5k this morning and not only got a new PR (30:54, down from old one of 33:17), but got 3rd place in my AG!  It was the first year for this race so not a really big turnout but it was a good race.  Nice course and well run.  I'll definitely do it again next year if possible. 

Janet 

Nice! 3rd place in your AG an PR in one race is amazing!  Congrats..  happy mother's day too!
2009-05-10 8:34 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
I blew up!!
500m swim-9:48 20k bike-41:08(includes T1&T2)...5k run or walk---34:03. I did finish 18/98 and 5/17 in my age group.
I was killing it on the bike, only got passed by 1 guy, who I then passed with 1k left. I pushed way to hard on the bike. Was over 32k/hr on the bike ,but i was toast on the run. The 'character' hill is esentially 1k uphill. Crazy hill, almost everyone was walking. I knew going into the run, i was in the top 10, but couldn't hang on and it sucked watching these 30-39 males run by me. Oh well, lesson learned. And of course our 2 year old had a 2hour wakeup during the night, so was a wee bit tired today. I'll get a RR up tomorrow.

Edited by TrevorC 2009-05-10 8:44 PM
2009-05-10 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2142127

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

TrevorC - 2009-05-10 8:34 PM AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
I blew up!!
500m swim-9:48 20k bike-41:08(includes T1&T2)...5k run or walk---34:03. I did finish 18/98 and 5/17 in my age group.
I was killing it on the bike, one got passed by 1 guy, who I then passed with 1k left. I pushed way to hard on the bike. Was over 32k/hr on the bike ,but i was toast on the run. The 'character' hill is esentially 1k uphill. Crazy hill, almost everyone was walking. I knew going into the run, i was in the top 10, but couldn't hang on and it sucked watching these 30-39 males run by me. Oh well, lesson learned. And of course our 2 year old had a 2hour wakeup during the night, so was a wee bit tired today. I'll get a RR up tomorrow.

Sounds like you left it all on the course!  I will be happy with those sorts of times next week!  Don't beat yourself up.  Best thing about mistakes is learning from them

-Andy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383