BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty Beyond Ridiculous Manatees PART 6--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 91

2012-11-19 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4503672

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty Beyond Ridiculous Manatees PART 6--CLOSED
bcraht - 2012-11-19 12:55 PM

Salty, the pic of you running in your RR--is that your kick at the end?  I used to throw Javelin and Shot Put, and was always working to start from my lower body and transfer up through hips into arms.  I realize you are not throwing anything, but that is what you look like in that pic--like you start from your foot and drive the energy through.  You have just pushed off on your right, your right hip looks like it is driving forward, even your right shoulder is driving forward. 

Of course, it could just be the 'stache.  Laughing

Yes, that is the kick. The only thing I analyzed was the awful stache. But yeah, you are very well on the right track.

Of course for me it's nothing more technical than "must get to finish so I can pee ..."

2012-11-19 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4503684

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Asalzwed - 2012-11-19 11:58 AM

Salty, the pic of you running in your RR--is that your kick at the end?  I used to throw Javelin and Shot Put, and was always working to start from my lower body and transfer up through hips into arms.  I realize you are not throwing anything, but that is what you look like in that pic--like you start from your foot and drive the energy through.  You have just pushed off on your right, your right hip looks like it is driving forward, even your right shoulder is driving forward. 

Yes, that is the kick. The only thing I analyzed was the awful stache. But yeah, you are very well on the right track.

Of course for me it's nothing more technical than "must get to finish so I can pee ..."

Hey if that's what get's you the PR, right?

2012-11-19 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4503692

User image

Seattle
rrrunner - 2012-11-19 1:02 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-11-19 11:58 AM

Hey if that's what get's you the PR, right?

Hehe totally.

Actually in all seriousness, yeah. Over time I have realized running really isn't just turning over your legs at a high rate. It really is full body, driven from the core and hips. The arms also play a very important role and they are the first things (them and my shoulders) that begin to fall apart if I am fatigued. 

2012-11-19 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4458563

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Well I had an awesome/busy weekend. Church stuff, Thanksgiving get-togethers. Shopping for Thanksgiving at my house.  Got most of my training done but swimming is suffering this month because of pool closures (and because I'm too lazy to go at times other than masters).

My rocking niece, Ashley, finished her first 5k on Saturday at the Frosty 5k in Salina, KS. She said on FB the next day that she was REALLY sore. She text me that it was hard to get up from the couch. I was so proud of her and told her that it was a sign she'd pushed herself to do something she'd never done before. She rocks! Here is a pic with a friend of hers:

(Ash5k.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Ash5k.JPG (41KB - 3 downloads)
2012-11-19 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4502827

User image

Seattle
reecealan - 2012-11-18 8:49 PM

Looks like I've got a bunch to catch up on.  Ran the marathon today.  Learned a lot.  I was hoping that the PF pain would stay at bay and it actually did!  It was manageable pain, I took 3 ibuprofin 1.5 hours before race start, 3 more at mile 14 ish.   I noticed early on if I ran more from my heels the pain was less (the PT told me to try this, NOT during the race but possible running style change going forward.  I did it during the race and paid the price later when I started cramping.  Pace was O.K. till about mile 17 or so then at mile 19 it became a run/walk.

RR to follow later in the week.

PB! So glad to hear you finished. After everything that IS an accomplishment.

I want you to keep in mind PF is an overuse injury. You knew you were pushing it with your accelerated marathon plan. I'd at least acknowledge that before you attempt to change you gait. 

2012-11-19 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4503698

User image

Master
rrrunner - 2012-11-19 11:06 AM

Well I had an awesome/busy weekend. Church stuff, Thanksgiving get-togethers. Shopping for Thanksgiving at my house.  Got most of my training done but swimming is suffering this month because of pool closures (and because I'm too lazy to go at times other than masters).

My rocking niece, Ashley, finished her first 5k on Saturday at the Frosty 5k in Salina, KS. She said on FB the next day that she was REALLY sore. She text me that it was hard to get up from the couch. I was so proud of her and told her that it was a sign she'd pushed herself to do something she'd never done before. She rocks! Here is a pic with a friend of hers:

Congrats to Ashley, that is awesome!

I hear ya on the swimming--I am only going 2x per week right now, because it is Masters.  I can't be bothered to fight for a lane at other times of the day...

2012-11-19 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4502970

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
KansasMom - 2012-11-18 11:00 PM

Artemis - 2012-11-18 9:46 PM

I'm really ok with compromising on doing the half instead of the full.  Most of my disappointment is from him not telling me.

It's probably better that I don't do the full given how little I've been running.  Doing the half will reduce my chance of injury.  Plus, we'll still be down there the whole weekend.  I'm going to try to find a fall marathon I want to do instead.  

I am sorry that hubby wasn't being very communicative. On the bright side, I think the half is a great distance. I have more to say because I think the significant other impact of training is an important issue to revisit. But it is late, and I am typing on my touch pad.

I agree. It's been discussed in various forms on TT. When the topic came up here yesterday I mentioned it to DH. I wouldn't have signed up for HIM training without his complete agreement. He is super supportive of my training and even joked about spouses who aren't.  However, we don't have small children at home and that makes a HUGE difference.

2012-11-19 1:16 PM

User image

Seattle
rrrunner - 2012-11-19 1:06 PM

Awesome!!! So cool to see new people coming into running at the risk of "The swiftest of nations" getting slower. 

I'm sorry, that last line was totally sarcastic. I don't know if you saw that athlinks sh*t but it really pisses me off. What are they saying? Decrease the amount of newbies so that we can have a faster overall average. Grrrrr!!!!!!!

Ok, done ranting ... for now. 

2012-11-19 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4503716

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Asalzwed - 2012-11-19 12:16 PM
rrrunner - 2012-11-19 1:06 PM

Awesome!!! So cool to see new people coming into running at the risk of "The swiftest of nations" getting slower. 

I'm sorry, that last line was totally sarcastic. I don't know if you saw that athlinks sh*t but it really pisses me off. What are they saying? Decrease the amount of newbies so that we can have a faster overall average. Grrrrr!!!!!!!

Ok, done ranting ... for now. 

I thought that whole thing was rediculous as well.  I wasn't sure if they were implying that runners are aging, and therefore slowing down, or if the influx of new runners was doing it.  Either way I don't care, as long as we're out there moving!!!

2012-11-19 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4503702

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Asalzwed - 2012-11-19 1:08 PM
reecealan - 2012-11-18 8:49 PM

Looks like I've got a bunch to catch up on.  Ran the marathon today.  Learned a lot.  I was hoping that the PF pain would stay at bay and it actually did!  It was manageable pain, I took 3 ibuprofin 1.5 hours before race start, 3 more at mile 14 ish.   I noticed early on if I ran more from my heels the pain was less (the PT told me to try this, NOT during the race but possible running style change going forward.  I did it during the race and paid the price later when I started cramping.  Pace was O.K. till about mile 17 or so then at mile 19 it became a run/walk.

PB! So glad to hear you finished. After everything that IS an accomplishment.

I want you to keep in mind PF is an overuse injury. You knew you were pushing it with your accelerated marathon plan. I'd at least acknowledge that before you attempt to change you gait. 

Good point Adrienne!  I agree, I wouldn't really want to change my gait unless all other avenues have been exhausted.  This was a nice experiment in running volume so I learned a few things.  What I need to do is build mileage up the right way, then maintain it to where running 164 miles in one month is only a small increase over what's normal for me.  Once I get this PF thing under control, I want to make a habit of running 5-6 days a week, longer run on weekends that way starting a mary program won't cause undo bodily damage Tongue out

2012-11-19 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4501925

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Asalzwed - 2012-11-17 3:39 PM Exxxxxxccciittted!!! Big PR today and won some good swag. Cheers Kirsten! I totally had my pre race beer last night! It was Rogue's Bacon Maple Voodoo doughnut beer. Good stuff. Anyway I had a very chaotic start to the race and didn't even get a chance to pee before I started. Foreshadowing for the RR? I think so!

Congrats on the PR.  I hope no one clogged the toilet this time...

2012-11-19 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4502155

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
KansasMom - 2012-11-17 9:38 PM

I survived my run this morning. I was about 60-80 seconds slower than last year. I'm slightly bummed about that, but not totally. I felt stronger than last year, so the slow down surprised me a bit. It was gusty, windy . . . maybe that contributed to the slight slow down?

Honestly, I'm not too worried about it. I wanted to be five minutes faster than I was, but I can live with what I did.

I slept almost three hours this afternoon. I always nap crazy long after racing. I feel pretty good now. My left knee was bothering me right after the race, but it seems fine. We'll see how I feel in the morning. :-)

My mom, Ben, and Jayson all did the 2-mile. Ben finished in 19:2x. My mom and Jayson finished in about 38. They did a run/walk thing, mostly walking. Although, I guess Ben met them near the finish line and he and Jayson ran in together. Jayson loved that.

Nice job out there Felicia.  And yes, the wind can certainly affect your pace.

2012-11-19 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4502189

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
kgore - 2012-11-17 10:41 PM

I survived, made it through 14+ miles of MUD and 35 obstacles in 30 mph wind (at times), intermittent rain, and overall coldness--and had an amazing time. I played with the Beast--and lived to tell about it!

Race report to come when I am coherent....might be awhile...

A Beast of a Manatee!  Woo hoo!

2012-11-19 2:00 PM
in reply to: #4502629

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
amd723 - 2012-11-18 6:16 PM

CONGRATS FELICIA, KATE AND SALTY!!  Sounds like a successful weekend of racing.

Chris, great job on the homework Also, you get some kind of award for driving so far for such a short visit.  Here's a cookie (you have to imagine it).

Yanti, swimming with the mantas is too cool.  What you're wearing while swimming with them is something else.

Everyone having family issues: hope everything works out exactly the right way.

As for me, I rode the 70 mile ride.  According to the ride sheet it was actually almost 74 miles, so they lied to me!  It was a hard, yet fun ride and I am beat.  There will be no race report as it wasn't in the race section on this site.  so, if you have any interest in reading about my adventure you'll have to read it in my log.  I'll give you a little preview: a rode with my front brake rubbing the tire for a period of time.

Nice job and congratulations! It's sounds like an Excellent Adventure. :-)

2012-11-19 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4502827

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
reecealan - 2012-11-18 9:49 PM

Wow Reece.   I'm so glad that your feet didn't fail you.  Glad that you could make adjustments and finish after all of the effort that you put into it.

2012-11-19 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4502880

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Artemis - 2012-11-18 10:46 PM

I'm really ok with compromising on doing the half instead of the full.  Most of my disappointment is from him not telling me.

It's probably better that I don't do the full given how little I've been running.  Doing the half will reduce my chance of injury.  Plus, we'll still be down there the whole weekend.  I'm going to try to find a fall marathon I want to do instead.  

I do like Jo's idea of talking about a fall marathon sooner rather than later.  Assuming that you are still interested in a marathon, that is. 

2012-11-19 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4503799

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm very excited!  My new (crash replacement) bike will be in late this week!  I should be able to pick it up in one week!  Woo hoo!

2012-11-19 2:30 PM
in reply to: #4503812

User image

Seattle
jmkizer - 2012-11-19 2:11 PM

I'm very excited!  My new (crash replacement) bike will be in late this week!  I should be able to pick it up in one week!  Woo hoo!

Fantastic news!!!!!! You will have to post pics as soon as you get it!

2012-11-19 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4503844

User image

Pennsylvania
Asalzwed - 2012-11-19 3:30 PM

YES!!  We need to drool over your new ride!

2012-11-19 2:33 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
rrrunner - 2012-11-19 2:06 PM

My heart is brimming with pride for your niece, TJ!  Very, very cool!!

2012-11-19 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4503849

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
melbo55 - 2012-11-19 3:32 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-11-19 3:30 PM

YES!!  We need to drool over your new ride!

Hint:  It's not purple!

2012-11-19 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4503607

User image

Pennsylvania
Asalzwed - 2012-11-19 1:18 PM
melbo55 - 2012-11-19 12:04 PM

So I've been tossing around the idea of training for a half marathon.  Below is Hal Higdon's Novice 1 plan:

Does plan sound reasonable?  How critical is it to incorporate the races at certain weeks? The idea of jumping up to this distance both exites and scares me.  I want to progress to running longer distances since I love trail running but most are longer distances (over 10K), plus I want to get better at running distances, period.  What scares me is simply that I've never run farther than 6.5 miles before, and even that wasn't running the whole time, I took walk breaks.  My running lately has been a bit haphazard since I am involved in other activities this time of year.  I'm *hoping* to get myself running consistently in the morning, that way I can still get run workouts in without it interfering with Tae Kwon Do or hockey.

Hal's plans are good. Keep in mind that they are geared towards beginners "just to finish" so the mileage will be on the lower end. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a FYI. I used his plan for my first marathon. 

It's not critical to incorporate those races but they are there for a reason. Do them if you can but the whole thing won't collapse if you don't. 

Well, I figured if I went with 'novice 1' instead of 'novice 2', I'd hopefully lessen the chances of getting an injury again (don't want any repeats of the Achilles or fascia issues).  Thanks to all for your input and advice!!  Getting moving in the morning will be the biggest challenge of all.

2012-11-19 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4503859

User image

Seattle
melbo55 - 2012-11-19 2:36 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-11-19 1:18 PM
melbo55 - 2012-11-19 12:04 PM

So I've been tossing around the idea of training for a half marathon.  Below is Hal Higdon's Novice 1 plan:

Does plan sound reasonable?  How critical is it to incorporate the races at certain weeks? The idea of jumping up to this distance both exites and scares me.  I want to progress to running longer distances since I love trail running but most are longer distances (over 10K), plus I want to get better at running distances, period.  What scares me is simply that I've never run farther than 6.5 miles before, and even that wasn't running the whole time, I took walk breaks.  My running lately has been a bit haphazard since I am involved in other activities this time of year.  I'm *hoping* to get myself running consistently in the morning, that way I can still get run workouts in without it interfering with Tae Kwon Do or hockey.

Hal's plans are good. Keep in mind that they are geared towards beginners "just to finish" so the mileage will be on the lower end. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a FYI. I used his plan for my first marathon. 

It's not critical to incorporate those races but they are there for a reason. Do them if you can but the whole thing won't collapse if you don't. 

Well, I figured if I went with 'novice 1' instead of 'novice 2', I'd hopefully lessen the chances of getting an injury again (don't want any repeats of the Achilles or fascia issues).  Thanks to all for your input and advice!!  Getting moving in the morning will be the biggest challenge of all.

Yes, for sure. I think that sounds very appropriate. Especially if you have concern for injury. And speaking of injuries, don't put any emphasis on speed during training. 

2012-11-19 6:11 PM
in reply to: #4503586

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
melbo55 - 2012-11-19 1:04 PM

Week

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thu

Fri

Sat

Sun

Stretch & strengthen

3 m run

2 m run or cross

3 m run + strength

Rest

30 min cross

4 m run

Stretch & strengthen

3 m run

2 m run or cross

3 m run + strength

Rest

30 min cross

4 m run

Stretch & strengthen

3.5 m run

2 m run or cross

3.5 m run + strength

Rest

40 min cross

5 m run

Stretch & strengthen

3.5 m run

2 m run or cross

3.5 m run + strength

Rest

40 min cross

5 m run

Stretch & strengthen

4 m run

2 m run or cross

4 m run + strength

Rest

40 min cross

6 m run

Stretch & strengthen

4 m run

2 m run or cross

4 m run + strength

Rest or easy run

Rest

5-K Race

Stretch & strengthen

4.5 m run

3 m run or cross

4.5 m run + strength

Rest

50 min cross

7 m run

Stretch & strengthen

4.5 m run

3 m run or cross

4.4 m run + strength

Rest

50 min cross

8 m run

Stretch & strengthen

5 m run

3 m run or cross

5 m run + strength

Rest or easy run

Rest

10-K Race

Stretch & strengthen

5 m run

3 m run or cross

5 m run + strength

Rest

60 min cross

9 m run

Stretch & strengthen

5 m run

3 m run or cross

5 m run + strength

Rest

60 min cross

10 m run

Stretch & strengthen

4 m run

3 m run or cross

2 m run

Rest

Rest

Half Marathon

Does this plan sound reasonable?  How critical is it to incorporate the races at certain weeks? The idea of jumping up to this distance both exites and scares me.  I want to progress to running longer distances since I love trail running but most are longer distances (over 10K), plus I want to get better at running distances, period.  What scares me is simply that I've never run farther than 6.5 miles before, and even that wasn't running the whole time, I took walk breaks.  My running lately has been a bit haphazard since I am involved in other activities this time of year.  I'm *hoping* to get myself running consistently in the morning, that way I can still get run workouts in without it interfering with Tae Kwon Do or hockey.

I've used that plan and I think it was very good.  If you don't want to do a race on a particular week, just do it at "race pace." The idea those weeks is to do some longer runs more quickly.

2012-11-19 6:13 PM
in reply to: #4503708

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
rrrunner - 2012-11-19 2:11 PM
KansasMom - 2012-11-18 11:00 PM

Artemis - 2012-11-18 9:46 PM

I am sorry that hubby wasn't being very communicative. On the bright side, I think the half is a great distance. I have more to say because I think the significant other impact of training is an important issue to revisit. But it is late, and I am typing on my touch pad.

I agree. It's been discussed in various forms on TT. When the topic came up here yesterday I mentioned it to DH. I wouldn't have signed up for HIM training without his complete agreement. He is super supportive of my training and even joked about spouses who aren't.  However, we don't have small children at home and that makes a HUGE difference.

So not touching this one on TT...sometimes I wonder about those conversations.  I always end up shaking my head!  I think E being so little is what makes this tough.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty Beyond Ridiculous Manatees PART 6--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 91