BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-03-12 4:20 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

The Tobacco Road Marathon was just canceled.

And there went Boston...

So...I guess I need to bite the bullet and sign up for the overprices Regional Dualon that is in two weeks and in-state just in case the rest of my races that I have planned get scratched from the book.  Sad to hear about all the race cancelations.  I really haven't been following things very close, but do you think that the smaller local races will stay open (i.e. sprints with 150 participants) and just the big races (i.e. M-dot races with 2500 participants with about 10% of that from outside the country and most traveling from out of state. 

It depends on the state. I heard that some places are pulling race permits for larger events.

Our big local event organizer, Setup Events, said that they are going with a rolling go/no go policy and will contact those who are registered about a week before the event.

The issue isn't just event participants and social distancing, it's also volunteers and expos and packet pickup and getting medical personal there.  I expect that smaller events are more likely to happen and also more likely to be flexible with event transfers and refunds.

I feel fine about training outside, just today I started to have mixed feelings about going to the pool -- not the pool itself but the locker room and so on. 

two of my smaller, local races have either cancelled or postponed. Sigh

2020-03-12 5:43 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
We were sent home from work today (I teach at a public middle school) for doomsday prep. Just spent 3 hours prepping 'distance learning' lesson plans for next week & setting up ways for kids to have office hours with me if they need help. We haven't officially cancelled school, but it's highly probable. The local university is closed for 2 weeks at this point.

I'm worried about the pool, but if I'm home from work, I can get some good run/bike training between my 'office hours.'
2020-03-12 9:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by glfprncs

We were sent home from work today (I teach at a public middle school) for doomsday prep. Just spent 3 hours prepping 'distance learning' lesson plans for next week & setting up ways for kids to have office hours with me if they need help. We haven't officially cancelled school, but it's highly probable. The local university is closed for 2 weeks at this point.

I'm worried about the pool, but if I'm home from work, I can get some good run/bike training between my 'office hours.'

We were supposed to have our band festivals next week but of course they cancelled those yesterday. We just got an email that we have a stand-up meeting in the morning and we are to bring a box.

Denver public schools and many of the districts surrounding us are either closing tomorrow or on Monday through April 5. We think we will be in the Monday group. We're worried because many of our kids rely on the free school breakfasts and lunches for their daily meals. I also have around 10 kids I send home backpacks of food for the weekends and breaks.

Rec centers are closed so that will leave the bike for me. I can't run in cooler weather because I have baby lungs and I cough and wheeze.

ETA: they closed Disneyland and World starting Sunday. The Mouse better be paying the workers or I will boycott when I race Daytona in December.

Edited by fortissimo 2020-03-12 9:03 PM
2020-03-12 9:10 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by glfprncsWe were sent home from work today (I teach at a public middle school) for doomsday prep. Just spent 3 hours prepping 'distance learning' lesson plans for next week & setting up ways for kids to have office hours with me if they need help. We haven't officially cancelled school, but it's highly probable. The local university is closed for 2 weeks at this point.I'm worried about the pool, but if I'm home from work, I can get some good run/bike training between my 'office hours.'
We were supposed to have our band festivals next week but of course they cancelled those yesterday. We just got an email that we have a stand-up meeting in the morning and we are to bring a box. Denver public schools and many of the districts surrounding us are either closing tomorrow or on Monday through April 5. We think we will be in the Monday group. We're worried because many of our kids rely on the free school breakfasts and lunches for their daily meals. I also have around 10 kids I send home backpacks of food for the weekends and breaks. Rec centers are closed so that will leave the bike for me. I can't run in cooler weather because I have baby lungs and I cough and wheeze. ETA: they closed Disneyland and World starting Sunday. The Mouse better be paying the workers or I will boycott when I race Daytona in December.
Disney committed to keep employees paid. I hope they do.
2020-03-12 9:53 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Also having reservations about the pool! So far since moving to Oregon I have been swimming at an indoor facility, but I do have access to an outdoor one. The times aren't as practical (except weekends) and that pool tends to be colder (plus locker room is neither very well-heated, nor does it have nice hot-water showers), so it's not that appealing. But thinking it would be safer. Maybe just come, swim, put on my coat and run for the car, crank up the heat; shower back at home?

Or just not bother? So much for swim fitness until OWS is possible. OTOH, not sure exactly what I am training for at this point. I've only entered two events this year--Calgary 70.3 and Crater Lake Marathon, two weeks apart in late July and mid-August. Not sure they'll be a thing or not.
2020-03-13 8:40 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

I volunteer with the Master Gardeners, a part of the Penn State Extension.  Penn State has extended Spring Break for three weeks and  has sent notice to all students that the campus is closed until at least March 27.  That includes any and all Penn State affiliated activities, so MG has cancelled all programs until April 6th.  DD goes to a PSU tech school here in Wmspt and has been told they "are trying to work out details for a plan to allow students to complete the semester online.  I overheard one student asking how she's supposed to complete online courses when all of her texts are locked up in her dorm room, on a shut down campus.

My sympathies to all of you who are suffering race cancellations and uncertainties.

2020-03-13 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Also having reservations about the pool! So far since moving to Oregon I have been swimming at an indoor facility, but I do have access to an outdoor one. The times aren't as practical (except weekends) and that pool tends to be colder (plus locker room is neither very well-heated, nor does it have nice hot-water showers), so it's not that appealing. But thinking it would be safer. Maybe just come, swim, put on my coat and run for the car, crank up the heat; shower back at home? Or just not bother? So much for swim fitness until OWS is possible. OTOH, not sure exactly what I am training for at this point. I've only entered two events this year--Calgary 70.3 and Crater Lake Marathon, two weeks apart in late July and mid-August. Not sure they'll be a thing or not.

Pools are safer bc the water has chlorine, freshwater can transmit viruses. Of course, if you are swimming in the ocean v fresh water i imagine the risk isn't great!

2020-03-13 8:49 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Master
Orlando

My April 4 HM in western NC just got postponed til late October. Honestly, I'm not that disappointed bc I'm really not feeling in shape for a very hilly HM! Plans now are to still go to the cabin and run and bike and eat and drink on our own!

2020-03-13 9:01 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by ceilidh  This is amusing. The author is the one you are reading, the book is " faster after 50" Joe Friel.
  Thanks Robin.  I just ordered a used copy for $4.50, free shipping, 7-10 days.

2020-03-13 9:09 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

My April 4 HM in western NC just got postponed til late October. Honestly, I'm not that disappointed bc I'm really not feeling in shape for a very hilly HM! Plans now are to still go to the cabin and run and bike and eat and drink on our own!

Social distancing the WNC way! 

I have an event in Brevard on April 4. I already told Kevin that I'm planning to ride my bike either way.

This just in -- Assault on the Carolinas (AOTC) 2020 is a no go.  Looks like I'll be practicing social distancing by riding alone -- or maybe with Robin ;-)

Edited by jmkizer 2020-03-13 9:11 AM
2020-03-13 9:25 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Our Y just shut down because of a suspected case in a staff member. Suspicious symptoms and tested negative for influenza. Unclear where/when this person worked at the Y and if I may have been in contact with him/her. I have not really interacted or stood near any staff members lately and have been REALLY careful about touching and hand-washing. Definitely no swimming in my near future. I guess I should self-quarantine if the person is positive and it's anyone I might have been in contact with. Hoping it's just a scare-there's a big child-care facility on site, lots of strep and other kid bugs circulating as well, possible it's related to that.

2020-03-13 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I have an event in Brevard on April 4. I already told Kevin that I'm planning to ride my bike either way.

This just in -- Assault on the Carolinas (AOTC) 2020 is a no go.  Looks like I'll be practicing social distancing by riding alone -- or maybe with Robin ;-)

im waiting for the Choo email

2020-03-13 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Our Y just shut down because of a suspected case in a staff member. Suspicious symptoms and tested negative for influenza. Unclear where/when this person worked at the Y and if I may have been in contact with him/her. I have not really interacted or stood near any staff members lately and have been REALLY careful about touching and hand-washing. Definitely no swimming in my near future. I guess I should self-quarantine if the person is positive and it's anyone I might have been in contact with. Hoping it's just a scare-there's a big child-care facility on site, lots of strep and other kid bugs circulating as well, possible it's related to that.

Take care!

2020-03-13 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs

I'm following the Covid19 and triathlon thread on Slowtwitch. It's pretty interesting. Ironman Taiwan 2020 was cancelled, the Paris half marathon was cancelled (cancellation announced 2/29, race was to be 3/1).  Tokyo marathon was pro only. 

How does that curse go?  May you live in interesting times.

We have a little golf tournament in town in 4 weeks that, according to some research, puts over $100 million into our local economy in a week. That doesn't take into account the $100+ million that the golf club makes for the tournament with ticket sales, television advertising, concession sales and merchandise sales. There is some conjecture that the tournament may be players and staff only which would hit a lot of businesses and homeowners (who rent out their homes for thousands to five figures for the week) pretty hard. As a teacher, we've already been hit really hard by the flu for the past 6 weeks with some students missing almost 2 weeks of school after getting flu A and then getting well and getting hit by flu B. I've missed more days due to illness this year than I have in 16 years of teaching. While Coronavirus doesn't necessarily 'scare' me in that I think I'm going to get deathly ill, it does scare me that it's going to have a pretty significant impact on my community and my job. Also, as an FYI, I was supposed to race a 10k this morning, but I had my 2nd yearly round of cold/flu-like stuff this week and have missed 6 days of workouts and another day of work. The good news is that the sun is actually out today and it's not raining like it has for the past 2 weeks straight. I may even ride my bike outside tomorrow if I feel up to it.

Take care, Nancy!  

Fingers crossed that the Masters is a go.

Sorry, Nancy. :-(

2020-03-13 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I think that you can keep waiting. They only canceled PR 70.3 yesterday (it was supposed to be on Sunday the 15th and folks were already on the ground there) and there has been a whole kerfluffle about Oceanside 70.3 on April 4.  The city or county canceled it and Ironman uncanceled it (how they think that they can move forward without a permit???), saying that the measures were only in effect until March 31 and therefore they were good to go. It may be an insurance thing but still... 

Santa Rosa on May 9  is in a similar situation (At this stage, the State of California does not propose altering arrangements for public events, and therefore we will be proceeding with the IRONMAN 70.3 Santa Rosa race as planned.)

At this stage, it's hard to imagine any April events going forward and perhaps beyond that as well.

2020-03-13 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I think that you can keep waiting. They only canceled PR 70.3 yesterday (it was supposed to be on Sunday the 15th and folks were already on the ground there) and there has been a whole kerfluffle about Oceanside 70.3 on April 4.  The city or county canceled it and Ironman uncanceled it (how they think that they can move forward without a permit???), saying that the measures were only in effect until March 31 and therefore they were good to go. It may be an insurance thing but still... 

Santa Rosa on May 9  is in a similar situation (At this stage, the State of California does not propose altering arrangements for public events, and therefore we will be proceeding with the IRONMAN 70.3 Santa Rosa race as planned.)

At this stage, it's hard to imagine any April events going forward and perhaps beyond that as well.

yeah, I’m training like it’s a go, but with the projection of 3-9 weeks of this situation, I figure Choo is on the bubble!

2020-03-13 9:55 AM

So, I'm assuming my April 4 race in Oceanside is going to be cancelled. Ironman cancelled the races this weekend and sent a letter out about what will happen if the race is cancelled. Only a matter of time. I totally get it and am a bit bummed. What do I do next?

I only had this week and next as hard weeks before tapering for 10 days. At this point, I'm going to throw the workout plan out the window and just exercise regularly, but unstructured for a few weeks after which, I'll re-assess.

Alternatively, I could do a self-supported version of the race around my home. This is intriguing and certainly a possibility. I'm fortunate to be in a location where I could pull it off and the logistics wouldn't be too challenging.

Anyone else thinking of dong a version of their race anyway?
2020-03-13 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

yeah, I’m training like it’s a go, but with the projection of 3-9 weeks of this situation, I figure Choo is on the bubble!

It kind of sounds like Ironman is waiting for the city/county/state to tell them what to do.

Santa Rosa - waiting for the state
Oceanside - scheduled for April 4, local government ban through March 31 at the moment

2020-03-13 10:03 AM
in reply to: rmschwartz418

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rmschwartz418 So, I'm assuming my April 4 race in Oceanside is going to be cancelled. Ironman cancelled the races this weekend and sent a letter out about what will happen if the race is cancelled. Only a matter of time. I totally get it and am a bit bummed. What do I do next? I only had this week and next as hard weeks before tapering for 10 days. At this point, I'm going to throw the workout plan out the window and just exercise regularly, but unstructured for a few weeks after which, I'll re-assess. Alternatively, I could do a self-supported version of the race around my home. This is intriguing and certainly a possibility. I'm fortunate to be in a location where I could pull it off and the logistics wouldn't be too challenging. Anyone else thinking of dong a version of their race anyway?

Someone on EN said that IM said (yeah, a little like a game of telephone) that a decision on Oceanside would be announced next Friday the 20th.

My plan right now is to pretend that Choo is a go. If it becomes clear that will not be the case, I will bond with my bike.

2020-03-13 10:37 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I am supposed to be going to Virginia that weekend for camping, biking and wine-ing. If I do not go, I'll ride with you. We can start together, you ride and find a place to eat, you order and eat (order a to-go box for me). I'll meet you and while you head off, I will eat and catch up to you at where ever you choose for dinner.. probably after you order dessert.

2020-03-13 11:42 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by rmschwartz418 So, I'm assuming my April 4 race in Oceanside is going to be cancelled. Ironman cancelled the races this weekend and sent a letter out about what will happen if the race is cancelled. Only a matter of time. I totally get it and am a bit bummed. What do I do next? I only had this week and next as hard weeks before tapering for 10 days. At this point, I'm going to throw the workout plan out the window and just exercise regularly, but unstructured for a few weeks after which, I'll re-assess. Alternatively, I could do a self-supported version of the race around my home. This is intriguing and certainly a possibility. I'm fortunate to be in a location where I could pull it off and the logistics wouldn't be too challenging. Anyone else thinking of dong a version of their race anyway?

Someone on EN said that IM said (yeah, a little like a game of telephone) that a decision on Oceanside would be announced next Friday the 20th.

My plan right now is to pretend that Choo is a go. If it becomes clear that will not be the case, I will bond with my bike.

i am going in the assumption that it will be a go. I am so far being being ready that I can't afford to relax on training. I am deleting my swims until i can go in the lake vs. go to the gym to swim. I have swim cords so i need to go dig them out and do a bit of dry land practice.

2020-03-13 11:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

I am supposed to be going to Virginia that weekend for camping, biking and wine-ing. If I do not go, I'll ride with you. We can start together, you ride and find a place to eat, you order and eat (order a to-go box for me). I'll meet you and while you head off, I will eat and catch up to you at where ever you choose for dinner.. probably after you order dessert.

It was just an idea. 

I'm thinking something in the Fairview area.  Do you know if Youngs Gap is rideable? I was thinking that I could ride to Fairview and do a loop and then take Cane Creek back.  I could maybe meet you in Fairview?

2020-03-13 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

i am going in the assumption that it will be a go. I am so far being being ready that I can't afford to relax on training. I am deleting my swims until i can go in the lake vs. go to the gym to swim. I have swim cords so i need to go dig them out and do a bit of dry land practice.

Lake Jordan is not quite OWS ready. I mean, it's possible but on the cold for me side. 

2020-03-13 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that there are no Racing Manatees this weekend.

Everyone, take care and stay safe!

P.S. I feel bad for Anne. She's on her way to Mid South and who knows what's gonna happen with that.

Edited by jmkizer 2020-03-13 12:01 PM
2020-03-13 12:08 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

It was just an idea. 

I'm thinking something in the Fairview area.  Do you know if Youngs Gap is rideable? I was thinking that I could ride to Fairview and do a loop and then take Cane Creek back.  I could maybe meet you in Fairview?

there is a ride on Ride with GPS that is called" Fairview to Fletcher to Fairview" that is a cool ride. I am so darn nervous riding on so many roads around here. They are fine with no traffic, but there is virtually no shoulders and some vehicles contain jerks. there are quite a few other rides if you put in Fairview as the start location and the distance for searching to within 10 miles. Some of those are on less traveled roads. some are hikes rather than rides.  The ride Fairview to Chimney Rock (or bat cave or lake lure) I have never been able to complete. I cried once trying

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127