General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-05-15 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4743457

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
cornick - 2013-05-15 11:10 AM

There is a contingency going up to LP on Sunday for a couple loops, a run, and we are bringing out wetsuits just in case! 

All are welcome to join and at least start with us.  

Have a great time. I'll be at my first tri of the year, Black Bear HIM.

2013-05-15 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4741447

User image

New user

For the DSW I've had my iPhone 4s in it and it's tight.  I guess I would carry some GU gel and Nuun to mix in with the water.  My own GU because I like to mix up the flavors and Nuun because I dislike Perform.  Maybe 10 packs of gel at the start and refill with the special need.

The water bottle behind the seat contains 2 CO2, the CO2 adapter, 1 tire lever, and 1 spare tube.  I can easily squeeze another tube in there.  If I need to carry more I can upgrade the water bottle to a 20 oz I guess.  That can probably hold even more stuff I don't plan on using. 

I carry the iPhone just so family can GPS track me on the course.  I use the 305 for the bike and plan on using a different Garmin for pacing the run.  Still debating if I should wear the HRM belt for the run.  The 305 is old.  Not sure if the battery will last long enough for the bike. 

BernardDogs - 2013-05-14 8:37 AM
peterliu88 - 2013-05-12 8:48 PM

This bike setup feels right now.  Got the DSW for gels and iPhone.  The down tube cage for primary hydration.  Zip tied bottle over the aero bar for secondary hydration, and behind the saddle for repair kit.

Have you had your phone in there yet? For me, the phone takes up too much space in my DSW and I've taken to taking it in a waterproof pouch in my jersey pocket. I wouldn't have my phone during a race. I've got a fix kit jammed under the seat and my multi tool in the DSW. I doubt I'll have my multi tool for the IM race ... just my tire stuff under the seat.

I've got two water bottles on the back that I'll have my Perpetuem (400 c per bottle) in and will switch out at Special Needs. Then water in between the aero bars. I'll have the DSW loaded with Hammer gels and salt tabs if I need them. 

2013-05-16 7:20 AM
in reply to: #4341496

User image

Veteran
The Cold North

I'll be in LP this weekend too, doing a double loop on Saturday, and hopefully a double loop swim on Sunday with a recovery ride, and then long run on Monday.

I carry my iphone when I ride around home so my husband can track me if he wants.  For LP, I ordered a Live Athlete Tracker so he will be able to find me on the course.  I figured that way it will be easier for him to cheer with my young son, instead of standing on the side of the road for an hour waiting for me.

2013-05-16 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4744849

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
erincs - 2013-05-16 8:20 AM

I'll be in LP this weekend too, doing a double loop on Saturday, and hopefully a double loop swim on Sunday with a recovery ride, and then long run on Monday.

I carry my iphone when I ride around home so my husband can track me if he wants.  For LP, I ordered a Live Athlete Tracker so he will be able to find me on the course.  I figured that way it will be easier for him to cheer with my young son, instead of standing on the side of the road for an hour waiting for me.

hey Erin - thanks for the reminder re: athlete tracker. We used it for the past two years at LP and it works great mostly. A couple of things to note: there are some places on the course where there is no cell service, so it drops out here and there, but because it sends only a tiny data packet and does so frequently it actually works fairly well even when there is barely any service at all - we carry garmin GTU-10s on remote training rides which uses the same technology - much, much better reliability than smartphones when you have spotty cell service. Also unless they have upgraded the cell service in LP itself in the past year, the system gets overwhelmed on race day and folks that are trying to track you via any cellular web service (athlete tracker, ironman live, etc) may have a tough time getting the services to refresh. Our watchers on the ground in LP had the best luck getting regular text message updates sent to them from folks tracking us back home. In our experience text messages are much more reliable than counting on cellular web access on race day.

I hope everyone that is going up has a great and safe training weekend - sounds awesome!

2013-05-16 8:09 AM
in reply to: #4744896

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
TankBoy - 2013-05-16 7:54 AM
erincs - 2013-05-16 8:20 AM

hey Erin - thanks for the reminder re: athlete tracker. We used it for the past two years at LP and it works great mostly. A couple of things to note: there are some places on the course where there is no cell service, so it drops out here and there, but because it sends only a tiny data packet and does so frequently it actually works fairly well even when there is barely any service at all - we carry garmin GTU-10s on remote training rides which uses the same technology - much, much better reliability than smartphones when you have spotty cell service. Also unless they have upgraded the cell service in LP itself in the past year, the system gets overwhelmed on race day and folks that are trying to track you via any cellular web service (athlete tracker, ironman live, etc) may have a tough time getting the services to refresh. Our watchers on the ground in LP had the best luck getting regular text message updates sent to them from folks tracking us back home. In our experience text messages are much more reliable than counting on cellular web access on race day.

I hope everyone that is going up has a great and safe training weekend - sounds awesome!

Thanks for the info!  Great to hear that it mostly works well.  My family is staying at Art Devlin's, so the room will be close by.  I assume there will be wifi available for them to use if the cell service isn't reliable, but I will have a few people tracking from home as well, so I will make sure they send regular text messages just in case.  Great tip!

2013-05-16 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4744214

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
peterliu88 - 2013-05-15 4:18 PM

For the DSW I've had my iPhone 4s in it and it's tight.  I guess I would carry some GU gel and Nuun to mix in with the water.  My own GU because I like to mix up the flavors and Nuun because I dislike Perform.  Maybe 10 packs of gel at the start and refill with the special need.

The water bottle behind the seat contains 2 CO2, the CO2 adapter, 1 tire lever, and 1 spare tube.  I can easily squeeze another tube in there.  If I need to carry more I can upgrade the water bottle to a 20 oz I guess.  That can probably hold even more stuff I don't plan on using. 

I carry the iPhone just so family can GPS track me on the course.  I use the 305 for the bike and plan on using a different Garmin for pacing the run.  Still debating if I should wear the HRM belt for the run.  The 305 is old.  Not sure if the battery will last long enough for the bike. 

This bike setup feels right now.  Got the DSW for gels and iPhone.  The down tube cage for primary hydration.  Zip tied bottle over the aero bar for secondary hydration, and behind the saddle for repair kit.

Have you had your phone in there yet? For me, the phone takes up too much space in my DSW and I've taken to taking it in a waterproof pouch in my jersey pocket. I wouldn't have my phone during a race. I've got a fix kit jammed under the seat and my multi tool in the DSW. I doubt I'll have my multi tool for the IM race ... just my tire stuff under the seat.

I've got two water bottles on the back that I'll have my Perpetuem (400 c per bottle) in and will switch out at Special Needs. Then water in between the aero bars. I'll have the DSW loaded with Hammer gels and salt tabs if I need them. 

Hi Peter - I personally would wear the HR strap even if I paced my run via RPE or pace, just because it is interesting data to have for post-race analysis. I wear my HR strap on the swim (sort of around my waist) and no watch (you will run under a big clock as you cross a mat at the end of each loop on the swim. I *might* rethink this based on the rolling start, but I will probably just plan on making a mental note of the time I cross the mat into the water. I have a garmin 800 on the bike which I turn on before I leave transition and have it set to not auto-power down. It has plenty of juice to last the duration. I will have the course loaded so it gives me "distance until turn" info and more importantly a 2-mile look-ahead on the elevation profile - I have found this to be one of the best and most under utilized features of the 800, particularly on courses that are hilly/climby and/or unfamiliar. On the run I grab my garmin 610 and start it up in transition and strap it to my wrist on the run.

if I do decide to wear a watch for the swim it will be my 310xt and I will just wear it the whole time even for the run. That is what I did my first year at LP, and I will admit that for some reason it was nice to have some knowledge of my total time on the course. Last year I didn't worry about it.

2013-05-16 8:54 AM
in reply to: #4744943

User image

Pro
TankBoy - 2013-05-16 9:19 AM

Hi Peter - I personally would wear the HR strap even if I paced my run via RPE or pace, just because it is interesting data to have for post-race analysis. I wear my HR strap on the swim (sort of around my waist) and no watch (you will run under a big clock as you cross a mat at the end of each loop on the swim. I *might* rethink this based on the rolling start, but I will probably just plan on making a mental note of the time I cross the mat into the water. I have a garmin 800 on the bike which I turn on before I leave transition and have it set to not auto-power down. It has plenty of juice to last the duration. I will have the course loaded so it gives me "distance until turn" info and more importantly a 2-mile look-ahead on the elevation profile - I have found this to be one of the best and most under utilized features of the 800, particularly on courses that are hilly/climby and/or unfamiliar. On the run I grab my garmin 610 and start it up in transition and strap it to my wrist on the run.

if I do decide to wear a watch for the swim it will be my 310xt and I will just wear it the whole time even for the run. That is what I did my first year at LP, and I will admit that for some reason it was nice to have some knowledge of my total time on the course. Last year I didn't worry about it.

Hi Tankboy. Are you racing with power? I have an 800 and will be racing with power. I had not thought about this feature, but since I need to plan out power for all the segments this seems pretty useful.

2013-05-16 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4745019

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-05-16 9:54 AM

Hi Tankboy. Are you racing with power? I have an 800 and will be racing with power. I had not thought about this feature, but since I need to plan out power for all the segments this seems pretty useful.

Hey Brian, yes I do use a power meter also. If you train with it enough to make sense of the display the course elevation info is really an invaluable tool on courses that are lumpy, and especially with long variable uphill bits like LP. Depending on what kind of ride I am doing I will have the elevation profile displayed along with power and HR or Cadence. Sometimes it is 3 sec power and sometimes lap power, again, depending on the workout. And It is easy to toggle between fields if you need to - you just touch and hold the field you want to change and you will get a popup to change it - you don't have to go thought the settings to do so - most people don't know you can do that. I can give you instructions on making a course with turn-by-turn and elevation info in it if you don't know how (it can be a little tricky to get it just right) or I am happy to share a good one for LP with anyone who wants one. I'll also post some screen shots of what the display looks like when I get back to a real computer.

Kind of on the same subject I think someone asked about how others train and race with power and I forgot to chime in. Most of my long rides are done by time and effort (bracketed against HR) and I watch my power numbers on the climbs and descents in order to keep my VI as balanced as possible. Intervals up to 40 minutes are done purely by power. For racing I don't pay attention to my computer at all for distances up to Olympic (except maybe on the rare course that has longish climbs, then I will watch power somewhat). On HIM distance I will watch power bracketed against HR to make sure I am going HARD enough early enough. For IM racing I watch power (bracketed against HR) to make sure I am going EASY enough for the first hour to an hour-and-a-half. After that I start transitioning over to RPE/HR and by the end I am not paying attention to power at all. In both my IMs that has set me up to have fairly successful runs. Hope that helps!

2013-05-16 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4744943

User image

New user

TankBoy that's a great tip about distance to turn / elevation look ahead.  Since my 305's battery is almost going bye bye, I have been thinking about the 910xt.  I guess I would be able to upload the course map to it as well.  The swim metrics on the 910xt looks interesting too.

Also the HRM belt around the waist.  I'll try that out at Quassy.

TankBoy - 2013-05-16 8:19 AM

2013-05-16 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4745106

User image

Pro
TankBoy - 2013-05-16 10:50 AM

Hey Brian, yes I do use a power meter also. If you train with it enough to make sense of the display the course elevation info is really an invaluable tool on courses that are lumpy, and especially with long variable uphill bits like LP. Depending on what kind of ride I am doing I will have the elevation profile displayed along with power and HR or Cadence. Sometimes it is 3 sec power and sometimes lap power, again, depending on the workout. And It is easy to toggle between fields if you need to - you just touch and hold the field you want to change and you will get a popup to change it - you don't have to go thought the settings to do so - most people don't know you can do that. I can give you instructions on making a course with turn-by-turn and elevation info in it if you don't know how (it can be a little tricky to get it just right) or I am happy to share a good one for LP with anyone who wants one. I'll also post some screen shots of what the display looks like when I get back to a real computer.

Kind of on the same subject I think someone asked about how others train and race with power and I forgot to chime in. Most of my long rides are done by time and effort (bracketed against HR) and I watch my power numbers on the climbs and descents in order to keep my VI as balanced as possible. Intervals up to 40 minutes are done purely by power. For racing I don't pay attention to my computer at all for distances up to Olympic (except maybe on the rare course that has longish climbs, then I will watch power somewhat). On HIM distance I will watch power bracketed against HR to make sure I am going HARD enough early enough. For IM racing I watch power (bracketed against HR) to make sure I am going EASY enough for the first hour to an hour-and-a-half. After that I start transitioning over to RPE/HR and by the end I am not paying attention to power at all. In both my IMs that has set me up to have fairly successful runs. Hope that helps!

Very helpful! Yes, the 800 is great but it can be baffling to set up properly. The menus are very convoluted. I want to try using the elevation profile this weekend for a race in the Poconos. It's got some serious hills and a downhill that looks to be as fast as the one coming through Keene in LP. 

2013-05-18 5:48 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

Regular
Not trying to be an ad-man, but there is a pretty good deal on the Garmin 800 out there... I had just ordered a 500, but I think I can get the 800 for about the same price as I was going to pay!

Quassy is in a couple weeks, and I know that others are doing another hilly tri in NY. What are your goals for the race? Personally, I am looking to test my nutrition plan a bit, and just be happy to be in a race. The water is so cold up here in the NE that season takes soooo long to get started!

2013-05-19 4:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Leaving for LP in a few minutes, very excited! I'll give some intel on the course and condition of roads.

Yesterday I finished 17,500 in the pool last week. I have noodles for arms....
2013-05-19 8:37 PM
in reply to: cornick

User image

Regular
NYC
Cornick and all others that made it to Lake Placid this weekend: We are all eager to hear how the day up in LP went. How are the roads? Did you get in the water? How many beers did you have at the LP Brewery afterward?
2013-05-19 9:05 PM
in reply to: jmagnyc

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Originally posted by jmagnyc

Cornick and all others that made it to Lake Placid this weekend: We are all eager to hear how the day up in LP went. How are the roads? Did you get in the water? How many beers did you have at the LP Brewery afterward?

I had a freaking fabulous day!

2 loops = 5:53
5 mile negative split run. (8:25, 8, 7:51, 7:24, 6:49)

Didn't get in the water despite bringing my wet suit. Couple other people did and got right out...said it was paralyzing.

We hit up the LP brewery but wasn't in the mood for a drink. Chowed on some food, about 8 glasses of water,

Despite the DOT page showing there is construction on 73 and it's down to one lane...it is NOT. There is a couple small patches of fresh pavement along the cascades but that's it. Leaving LP and heading to the cascades has gotten worse though. The road is just HORRIBLE!

The new pavement on 86 is already getting chewed up by the plows but will be fine for 7/28. In a year or two it will be back to the way it was.

Tired.....bed.....zzz.....
2013-05-20 9:13 AM
in reply to: jsenc2002

User image

New user
Any thoughts on the 800 / 500 vs 910xt? There is a deal for the bare bone 910xt for 299 on amazon.

Can I upload the course into the 910xt, then can I mark it so it tells me how far before I crest the climb or how far until a sharp turn?

I like the 910xt for the swim metrics tho I hardly swim anymore. Been doing 60 minutes a week max due to scheduling.

Originally posted by jsenc2002

Not trying to be an ad-man, but there is a pretty good deal on the Garmin 800 out there... I had just ordered a 500, but I think I can get the 800 for about the same price as I was going to pay!

Quassy is in a couple weeks, and I know that others are doing another hilly tri in NY. What are your goals for the race? Personally, I am looking to test my nutrition plan a bit, and just be happy to be in a race. The water is so cold up here in the NE that season takes soooo long to get started!

2013-05-20 9:41 AM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by cornick
Originally posted by jmagnyc Cornick and all others that made it to Lake Placid this weekend: We are all eager to hear how the day up in LP went. How are the roads? Did you get in the water? How many beers did you have at the LP Brewery afterward?
I had a freaking fabulous day! 2 loops = 5:53 5 mile negative split run. (8:25, 8, 7:51, 7:24, 6:49) Didn't get in the water despite bringing my wet suit. Couple other people did and got right out...said it was paralyzing. We hit up the LP brewery but wasn't in the mood for a drink. Chowed on some food, about 8 glasses of water, Despite the DOT page showing there is construction on 73 and it's down to one lane...it is NOT. There is a couple small patches of fresh pavement along the cascades but that's it. Leaving LP and heading to the cascades has gotten worse though. The road is just HORRIBLE! The new pavement on 86 is already getting chewed up by the plows but will be fine for 7/28. In a year or two it will be back to the way it was. Tired.....bed.....zzz.....

Cornick, I'm officially envious.  Sounds like you had a great weekend.  5:53 is faster than many people (self included) can race that course and then you went out and did a great brick by descending your mile splits.  Glad you enjoyed it...having fun in the training makes it all the sweeter on race day.

By the way, for those of you using ten week training blocks, we just entered the last 10 week block before race day.  It is getting closer!

2013-05-20 10:11 AM
in reply to: klassman

User image

Pro
Well I did the Black Bear Half yesterday. It rained from 4:30am when we left the house until we got home at 7pm. Great weather for biking in the Pocono mountains on carbon wheels when you have never seen the course. 3400 feet of elevation, but all steep rollers, not like LP. Two crazy descents like LP. Water temperature was either 55 or 62 depending on if you believe the USGS monitoring station or the RD. Either way it was freaking cold. Air temperature was 57.

I had a hard day but I finished. 130/177. I thought it would be a lot worse given my hamstring and having to walk/run to keep it from getting injured any worse. Also have only been seriously biking 2-3 weeks. Was going to pull out of the race but my coach said use it as a long training day and work on nutrition, transition, etc. and not worry about the run. In that context it went well. I'm totally sold on Infinit, no stomach issues at all. Did water bottle exchange on the fly every chance I got (even if I didn't need it) and didn't drop any. Also need to get some clear lenses for the glasses. Between the trees and rain I couldn't see sh*t and had to take them off.

First HIM on the books.
2013-05-20 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by cornick

I had a freaking fabulous day!

2 loops = 5:53
5 mile negative split run. (8:25, 8, 7:51, 7:24, 6:49)

Jeff-I tried to send you an inspire, to tell you that was a GREAT tune-up for LP, but with this new format and glitches, it didn't work...

Rest up and get a few more weeks of tweaking before race day. You will do well as long as you control your enthusiasm early on, remember, it is an IM race and the fatigue you feel is cumulative. Have something in the tank for the run...
2013-05-20 1:07 PM
in reply to: peterliu88

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by peterliu88

I carry the iPhone just so family can GPS track me on the course. 

Peter-How does one track using an i-phone? I am too obtuse to know how to do this.

Dale
2013-05-20 3:45 PM
in reply to: peterliu88

Regular
Originally posted by peterliu88

Any thoughts on the 800 / 500 vs 910xt? There is a deal for the bare bone 910xt for 299 on amazon.

Can I upload the course into the 910xt, then can I mark it so it tells me how far before I crest the climb or how far until a sharp turn?

I like the 910xt for the swim metrics tho I hardly swim anymore. Been doing 60 minutes a week max due to scheduling.

Originally posted by jsenc2002

I haven't received my bike computer yet (got the 800), but I do have a 310xt and found it to be okay for the bike split. The screen is a bit small, and I want the clear course/elevation guides. The other thing was when I did my first full in 2011, the battery died about halfway thru the marathon; you can adjust it to optimize battery life, and granted I finished in a bit over 15 hours, so I was pushing it, it was still not ideal. My strategy is to use the 310xt for the run, and 800 for the bike portion. The dcrainmaker.com site has good product reviews that may be helpful, too.
2013-05-20 3:47 PM

Regular
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Well I did the Black Bear Half yesterday. It rained from 4:30am when we left the house until we got home at 7pm. Great weather for biking in the Pocono mountains on carbon wheels when you have never seen the course. 3400 feet of elevation, but all steep rollers, not like LP. Two crazy descents like LP. Water temperature was either 55 or 62 depending on if you believe the USGS monitoring station or the RD. Either way it was freaking cold. Air temperature was 57.

I had a hard day but I finished. 130/177. I thought it would be a lot worse given my hamstring and having to walk/run to keep it from getting injured any worse. Also have only been seriously biking 2-3 weeks. Was going to pull out of the race but my coach said use it as a long training day and work on nutrition, transition, etc. and not worry about the run. In that context it went well. I'm totally sold on Infinit, no stomach issues at all. Did water bottle exchange on the fly every chance I got (even if I didn't need it) and didn't drop any. Also need to get some clear lenses for the glasses. Between the trees and rain I couldn't see sh*t and had to take them off.

First HIM on the books.

Great job! The adversity will only make you stronger! Sounds like you got the data/feedback you need to prep for LP... UNDER 70 days!

2013-05-20 4:06 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Pro
Originally posted by TankBoy

I wanted to thank you for the advice. I set up the Garmin exactly as you described. The elevation profile was extremely helpful, especially on a course I'd never biked before. I never knew it could do that

Only bonehead move was forgetting to grab HR strap until after they closed transition. So no HR.
2013-05-21 9:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
I think Iv'e decided to get an aero jacket for my back wheel for LP. Going to order it this week so I can use it a few times before race day.

$100 you can't go wrong I don't think....
2013-05-21 9:54 AM

User image

Pro
I have one. They are great on flats and downhills, and it doesn't weigh enough to make a difference on the climbs. Look for coupons/discounts, they are regularly on special for $75-$89.
2013-05-21 10:37 AM

User image

Did the American Triple T this past weekend. 4 races in 3 days over 140 miles total with about 12,000 total elevation change in it(switchbacks on the bike and run courses). I think i finally have a nutrition plan that works as I had no cramping all weekend and never felt like I bonked. The one glaring thing I found was that my bike is just not up to par with my other events. I PR'ed my half iron swim time by 7 minutes(the last race was a half iron) and my run is fine as thats what my background is in but my bike is just.... arg.

Seeing as I have about 2 months, what can I really do now that will make a drastic change in my bike fitness/performance come race day? any training plans that fit that time period that might help me out. I have a heart rate monitor but don't really use it as I have always just gone by feel in training. Right now I have been super run/swim focused in my training doing 6 runs, 4 swims, and 4 bikes a week. I am thinking of changing it to 4 runs, 4 swims, and 6 bikes a week but my thing is I don't know what to do on the bike that will make a difference.

I am am counting on you guys as I am all out of ideas!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59