Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2009-03-03 6:18 AM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED
It's friggin cold out there today. No outside running or biking for me. I am going to see about having my bike fitted properly but I have to mount the aerobars and pedals before I go down to the LBS. Plus my wife has the truck today so I'll probably have to wait another day or run across town and trade vehicles after I get hers fixed. I think it might be time to start looking for a new vehicle.

Edited by Redknight 2009-03-03 6:19 AM

2009-03-03 9:17 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Hi Everybody

Went to a triathlon club meeting last night with a couple of other BT'ers to check it out.  I decided I liked the people, they have a lot of training opportunities and group events so joined this morning.  It will be my first time actually training with people on a regular basis.  Up to now, I have been a lone wolf.  Should be fun.

I signed up for my first race since September, the Shamrock Shuffle 10K.  The course has a couple of bodacious hills so it should give me the chance to practice up for Heartbreak Hill (which incidentally broke my heart last year--walked up it! Boo-Hiss)  Pretty excited to toe the line next Sunday.

How are the NE folks holding up?  They did get 16" of snow in Milwaukee which luckily missed me!

2009-03-03 9:31 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Welcome to our weather Folks! I don't you're going to get alot of sympathy from Rob and I on this one. But, when you're not used to it, I imagine it causes gridlock out there.

So today is Tuesday. I leave on Friday for Vancouver for my 1st Tri on Sunday.....alrighty group.....What are some good tips for me? Raec/Pre-race whatever fill me up!

getting a wee bee nervous, but I'd like to think it's a good nervous.  I know I'm ready.

2009-03-03 10:17 AM
in reply to: #1993784

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-03-03 9:31 AM

Welcome to our weather Folks! I don't you're going to get alot of sympathy from Rob and I on this one. But, when you're not used to it, I imagine it causes gridlock out there.

So today is Tuesday. I leave on Friday for Vancouver for my 1st Tri on Sunday.....alrighty group.....What are some good tips for me? Raec/Pre-race whatever fill me up!

getting a wee bee nervous, but I'd like to think it's a good nervous.  I know I'm ready.

I have only done Sprints, but here is my short list:

1. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/race-checklist.asp  I use this everytime to make sure i don't forget something important.  I carry two sets of goggles andmy own swim cap to wear under the crappy one you get at the race and must wear.

2. I travel with my fuel (Infinit) and my pre-race breakfast (oatmeal with cinn/brown sugar).  I never assume I can find it at the expo (if there is one) or a local store.

3. I make a reservation at a pasta place well in advance for 5pm and no later.  Anal maybe, but you can get really backed up waiting to get a table if the race is big (even with a reservation).

4. Bring two garbage bags.  Use one for post race and one to lay under your transition towel if the ground is wet.

5. Check out the course ahead of time so you know what to expect, especially on the bike.

6. Get used to the water ahead of time, especially the murkiness and temps.  Because swimming is a challenge for me, I get in at least twice, float around, swim to the first turn around, etc.  Makes me feel better.  I also seed myself towards the back of my waveto avoid the craziness of the start.

I am assuming it is an indoor tri if it is in Vancouver, right? If it is outside, I carry multiple outfits based on weather changes.

2009-03-03 10:44 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Thanks Suzie good start. the swim is indoor pool, but everything else is outdoors. Vancouver is alot milder than here. The weather is calling for about 10C(mid 50'sF) so not too bad. I wouldnt know what do to with myself if i could run in shorts and a T-shirt right now!! 
2009-03-03 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Good advice Suzy. Get there early and go through your transition stages at least in your mind several times. Think of what you have to do when you get out of the water and have to put things on. In what order do you want them laid out. Practice a couple of times at home. Same thing changing from the bike to run.

Couple of quick things. I put my googles on under my swim cap. Less chance of getting it knocked off. Being in the pool you shouldn't have any trouble with this. I put my bike helmet on the bars of the bike as that is how I hang it on the rack. That way I can't forget to put it on. DQ if you cross the bike line without it on. The BT video Suzy marked is very good for the set up.

When you take you wet suit off just through it on the ground until you finish the race. No need to be neat when you are in transition except you don't want to trhough it in someone elses transition area.

Talk to the people in the transiton area too. I have found tri people to be very helpful with each other.

Most of all have fun!!!!!!!!!!

Not needed but good luck anyway.

2009-03-03 11:08 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

double post just to get our numbers up

Edited by Redknight 2009-03-03 11:15 AM
2009-03-03 11:18 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Trevor all good info from Rob, and Suzy... 2 additions to that... Don't eat/drink anything new the night before the race, or race morning... This may play havoc on the belly (mixed w/ nerves it leads to a couple trips to the outhouse!)...

If I recall you are renting a bike.  Take it on a nice easy spin to get used to the handling, shift, positioning, etc...

And remember this race.  The 1st one in your career is the one that you will remember most!!!

Sorry... Next post REALLY LONG!

Edited by swbkrun 2009-03-03 11:33 AM
2009-03-03 11:19 AM

User image

Pro

Interesting article I found this morning....

Exercise Equipment: Is treadmill training a help or hindrance for the serious athlete?

When an athlete runs on the track, on roads or on firm ground, their legs create propulsive forces which accelerate their centre of mass and drive it forward. The athlete's centre of mass is decelerated during each recovery (early-stance) phase of the gait cycle, only to be accelerated forwards again as propulsive forces are produced by the stance leg. As they continue to run, centre of mass is accelerated and decelerated over and over again as it moves steadily forwards.

When the same athlete runs on a treadmill, centre of mass is static (at least in the forwards-backwards plane). There is no forward progress; instead, the running surface 'disappears' behind the athlete. In fact, the treadmill belt moves the athlete's legs and feet under and behind her centre of mass and, to preserve stability, their key task is to move the support leg back in front of the centre of mass in time for the impact with the treadmill belt. The key function of the leg muscles during treadmill running is not to produce propulsive forces but to re-position the legs in such a way as to keep the centre of mass stable.

Because of these major and fundamental differences, some experts have argued that treadmill training is unspecific to 'real running' and should be avoided by athletes who want to improve their running abilities on the ground. The neuromuscular patterns involved in treadmill running are so different from road, track or cross-country running, they argue, that improvements in economy and efficiency are impossible. Some go so far as to contend that treadmill training may actually impair running economy on regular surfaces.

On the other hand, treadmill advocates cite two key advantages of treadmill training: with treadmills, they argue, it is possible to perform outstanding 'hill' workouts by setting the treadmill inclination at challenging levels; treadmill athletes can also set training paces with great precision, enhancing their ability to carry out very specific training. They can do ample amounts of work at a goal race pace, for example, without ever having to worry about whether they are straying from the desired velocity.

Critics of treadmill training produce the counter-argument that treadmill running is not really very specific. For one thing, the weight and forces placed on the treadmill belt with each footstrike cause many belts to slow down briefly with every step(1). In addition, a discrete pace on a treadmill is not the same, in terms of overall physiological effort, as the same pace on firm ground; for example, six-minute miling pace on a treadmill usually produces lower heart and oxygen consumption rates than same-pace running on the track, cross-country course or soccer field. The lower cost of treadmill running is definitely attributable to lack of wind resistance; it may also reflect the biomechanical and kinematic differences between treadmill and 'normal' running.

There is little doubt that treadmill training is better for fitness than a completely sedentary lifestyle, and there is no question that non-competitive joggers can improve their overall fitness on a treadmill. However, for the reasons given above, it is logical for competitive athletes to be concerned about whether they can actually use treadmill work to boost their performances. Is treadmill running too different from the real thing to have any impact on race times? What does the scientific literature have to say?

Oxygen consumption at higher speeds
One of the first scientific studies to compare treadmill with track running was carried out by physiologist Dr LGCE Pugh in London in 1969(2). Pugh simply measured the correlation between oxygen-consumption rate and speed in seven athletes running on a track and four running on a treadmill. He found that the relationship was linear during treadmill running, but curvilinear on the track, when oxygen consumption tended to shoot up dramatically at higher speeds.

One of Pugh's most interesting findings was that the slope of the line linking oxygen consumption with speed was significantly steeper on the track than on the treadmill: in other words, for each unit increase in running speed there was a correspondingly greater increase in oxygen cost during track running than during treadmill running. Pugh attributed this divergence to the effects of wind resistance - a reasonable assumption since the energy cost of overcoming air resistance increases fairly dramatically as running speed increases. As Pugh pointed out, the energy cost of overcoming air resistance during track running at a speed of 21.5k/hour (about six metres per second, or 67 seconds per 400m) is about 8% of the total energy cost. By contrast, the air-resistance cost doubles to 16% of total expenditure when running speed goes up to 10m/sec (100m in 10 seconds).

Sprint benefits of treadmill training
Pugh's data are extremely interesting, but the real lesson of his research is that it is much easier to run at very high speeds on a treadmill than on track, road or trail. In open-air situations, a significant fraction of energy which could be used for dynamic movement is instead 'wasted' on overcoming the slowing effects of air molecules. This observation that higher top speeds can be attained on a treadmill than a track is interesting and slightly ironic in view of the fact that sprinters almost never train on treadmills, even though they could practise faster-than-track velocities (and presumably improve max running speed) on these devices.
The enhanced energy cost of overground running was also documented by Jack Daniels in his research with young adult male runners. Daniels found that it cost about 10% more to run on an asphalt road than on a treadmill at the same speed(3).
The first study to evaluate carefully the kinematics of treadmill versus 'overground' running was completed in 1972 at Penn State University in the US, in a study of 16 male members of the university's track and cross-country teams(4). The runners were evenly divided between distance specialties, with five sprinters, six middle-distance runners and five cross-country runners, all of whom were required to run at three speeds at three different inclinations on both the treadmill and normal ground.
This groundbreaking study uncovered fundamental differences between treadmill and overground running. For example, at relatively routine speeds of 3.35 and 4.88m/sec (119 and 82 seconds per 400m respectively), the athletes' stride lengths were absolutely identical on treadmill and firm ground; but when velocity rose to 6.4m/sec (62.5 seconds per 400m), treadmill stride length was about 5% longer than overground strides. The same situation occurred during uphill (10%-grade) running, with strides equal at moderate paces but about 8% longer on the treadmill when velocity rose to 6.4m/sec. During downhill running (10%), stride lengths on the ground and treadmill were equal at all speeds.

Not surprisingly, stride rates were lower on the treadmill during fast running both uphill and on the level: since stride lengths were longer on the treadmill, stride rate would have to slow down in order to keep speed at a fixed level. Predictably too, 'support time' (the length in milliseconds of the stance phase of the gait cycle) increased significantly on the treadmill for all speeds during uphill and downhill running - and at the very highest speed during level running. Basically, the runners were trying to create more stability for themselves on the unstable, fast-moving and/or inclined treadmill by keeping their feet on the belt a little longer than usual. In fact, this effect may have been the cause of both the lower stride rates and longer strides: with the stance phase elongated, more propulsive force could have been created, broadening strides but trimming stride rate.

The Penn State study was an important one, because it showed that athletes really do run differently on the treadmill than on terra firma. The augmentation of 'support time' discovered on the treadmill is not particularly good news for distance runners, most of whom could benefit more from footstrike shortening (producing the same or more propulsive force in less ground-contact time) than lengthening. In a follow-up study carried out in Australia, the dissimilarities between treadmill and overground running were reinforced, and a new 'wrinkle' was introduced: less experienced, purely recreational joggers react to the treadmill differently from highly-competitive runners(5).

Comparing male and female joggers
In this investigation, 12 male and 12 female student joggers ran at speeds ranging from 3.33 to 6.2m/sec on both track and treadmill. As with the Penn-State study, disparities in kinematics between treadmill and ground appeared at relatively faster speeds; specifically, above a velocity of about 4.85m/sec (82 seconds per 400m), stride rate on the treadmill for the male runners increased by about 3.4% compared with overground running, while stride length dropped by 3.2%. The female runners exhibited the same tendency - but with a dramatically increased magnitude; female stride lengths dropped by 10.2% on the mill, while stride rates surged by 10.9% compared with female firm-ground running. As you can see, these changes are exactly opposite to those exhibited by the experienced runners, who augmented stride lengths while reducing stride rates.
Both of these studies are extremely interesting for this reason: research has shown that runners tend to optimise stride length and stride rate in order to produce the most energy-efficient pattern of movement. But if an athlete who has optimised stride length and rate on firm ground then moves to treadmill training, he or she will be training with sub-efficient economy, practising biomechanical patterns which are less than optimal for firm-ground competition.
In an extremely interesting subsequent study, Barry Frishberg of the University of Massachusetts studied differences in sprinting on track and treadmill(6). Frishberg worked with five male varsity athletes who competed in sprint events of 200m or less or ran on the university's 400m relay team. Each athlete carried out a minimum of 10 treadmill training sessions before participating in four filming sessions, two on the treadmill and two on the track. The speeds they achieved over 91.44m (100 yards) on the track were used to set their velocities during the treadmill sprints. Average velocity for the five runners was 8.5m/sec or 11.76 seconds per 100m. If this seems a tad slow, bear in mind that the runners used a standing start, since they could hardly put starting blocks on the treadmills!

Track running leads to greater oxygen debt than treadmill training
Interestingly, the 'oxygen debt' incurred by running 100 metres on the track was 36% greater than in the treadmill condition. Oxygen debt is simply the excess oxygen uptake (above resting oxygen utilisation) that occurs after exercise is over. It is a somewhat misleading term, because this elevated consumption does not appear to be entirely due to a 'borrowing' from the body's oxygen stores; a better term is excess post-exercise oxygen consumption - EPOC, which is directly related to exercise intensity, in that the higher the intensity the greater the EPOC. Thus sprinting at 8.5m/sec overground was much more demanding for the Massachusetts athletes than sprinting at the same speed on the treadmill, probably because overground sprinting depleted the leg-muscle cells' energy stores more than treadmill sprinting so that more oxygen was needed to re-establish normal energy supplies within the muscles.
Arguably the most important finding in this study was the sheer magnitude of the difference in cost (36%) between treadmill and track sprinting. As Frishberg pointed out, air resistance alone could not entirely account for this huge disparity, suggesting that biomechanical and kinematic differences must be large enough to contribute to the relative 'cheapness' of treadmill running. Another key result was that, when given the opportunity, the sprinters could exceed their maximal overground running velocities by over
1-2m/sec. A jump of 2m/sec, from 8.5m/sec on the track to 10.5 on the treadmill, would improve 100m performance from 11.76 to 9.5 seconds. In other words, average university runners would be capable of moving along at world-record pace over 100 metres on the treadmill - training which should be beneficial for the improvement of max running speed.

Treadmill 'hills' are a real boon
So what's the bottom line on treadmill training? The ability to regulate a treadmill's inclination is a real boon to athletes plagued by flat terrain. Moving a treadmill's inclination from zero to 6¡ dramatically enhances the power output of key running muscles like the calves, and adjusting the inclination from 6¡ to 12¡ produces a further doubling in power output(7). Running up real hills accomplishes the same thing, but athletes without hills at their disposal can truly benefit from being able to set precisely the length and severity of their treadmill 'hills'.

Even though the oxygen cost of running at specific speeds is lower on the treadmill than on terra firma, it is still possible to attain extremely high rates of oxygen consumption during treadmill running, which allows for an increase in maximal running speed. Thus, treadmill workouts can be used quite successfully to improve VO2max. Whether treadmill training can produce the same maximal gain in VO2max as overground training is not known, however. In fact, it is not even certain that a 5% gain in VO2max achieved on the treadmill would necessarily lead to the same gain during overground running.

Since treadmill training intensities can be high, especially since max running velocity is greater on the treadmill, and since athletes can add tremendous heat to their workouts by raising the treadmill inclination, lactate levels during treadmill training can be extremely high. Thus, treadmill sessions can be used profitably for the improvement of lactate threshold. Again, though, the problem is that such gains may not be as great as those achieved during overground training; nor is there any certainty that threshold improvements will carry over directly and completely to firm-ground running.

As mentioned, athletes can hike maximal running speed instantaneously on the treadmill, often by increasing turnover rate and decreasing the duration of the stance phase of the gait cycle(6). However, such spikes in speed are accompanied by fundamental differences in running style; the shin of the support leg is less erect at contact and moves through a greater range of motion, with a faster overall angular velocity, on the treadmill, while the thigh of the support leg is more erect during footstrike and moves with a slower overall angular velocity over a more limited range of motion during the stance phase of the gait cycle. (Incidentally, some experts believe that the reduced angular motion of the thigh during treadmill running helps to explain why treadmill efforts are energetically cheaper). There is also a reduced forward lean of the trunk during treadmill running (ibid). Thus, it is not absolutely certain that improvements in maximal running speed achieved on the treadmill will transfer to the track without 'hitches', since track running will involve significantly different biomechanics.

And these biomechanical considerations explain why it is almost always better for serious athletes to train in real conditions rather than on the treadmill when given the choice. Working out on a treadmill in a controlled environment is better than slipping along on icy roads, plodding through snow drifts, fighting gale-force winds or battling with high heat and humidity, but it is unlikely that treadmill training can improve running economy as effectively as overground work. In fact, the movement patterns of the two types of activity are so different that treadmill training might even retard improvements in overground running economy - a particularly troubling thought.

Owen Anderson
2009-03-03 1:55 PM

User image

Champion

Hey Steve

Very interesting article on a number of fronts and the author is certainly a reputable source.  In the winter, I am a frequent TM user. 

1. In my own personal experience, I would say that pacing translates well between inside and outside.  Often I find that I am faster outside after having spent a couple of months indoors. 

2. I find it interesting the comments regarding stride rate reduction and it frightens me a little.  In my last TM test a couple of weeks ago, my cadence was over 200 (100+ per leg).  I have really high turnover and a shorter stride.  Part is based on my size, but part is training.  I spent a long time learning to avoid the breaking effect of overstriding.  I wonder what it is outside?  I am guessing not higher.   Could it be?

3. The statements regarding oxygen uptake and speedwork ring true for me.  I find it much more taxing to do 800s or Long Tempo runs outside than on the TM.   Although, I don't do them on a track so elevation could play a role in that.

4. Lastly, I think the rigors of running outside are important for the body.  Having spent a lot of miles indoors before Boston last year had my quads and calves crying when moving to a hilly course by 16m. Being in Hawaii helped, but  I hope to get my butt outside soon so that I don't repeat that again this year!  Like the author said, sometimes weather dictates moving inside and that's life.

Thanks for sharing.

Curious how others feel about the findings......

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-03-03 1:57 PM
2009-03-03 3:46 PM
in reply to: #1992991

User image

Extreme Veteran
kt65 - 2009-03-02 9:40 PM

Great job on the pb, Tracy!  And a cold swim, yikes!  That is the one thing I am dreading.  The coach who taught my TI class has a group that meets down at the bay front every Monday night for open water swims starting next Monday.  It is 52 degrees in the bay right now!!!  I have told myself that I can skip the first few weeks til it gets to 55 or so, but I am so not looking forward to cold freezing ows!  But last year, I wimped out and had a really bad ows in my first oly.  This year I am very committed to at least trying.  But why does it have to be soooo cold!  I did buy a neoprene cap and my wetsuit is nice and warm, so I'm going to suck it up.  On the bright side, I had a pb on swim distance today of 3000 yds.  

Stanley, I like the 100% poly suits...they hold up well.  For speedo, it is their endurance line.  My current suit has lasted 200,000 yds!  Then again, my chlorine level at the college pool I swim at is quite low compared to the city pools I swim in occasionally.  I do what you do, just rinse in cold water. No soap, just hang dry.  I don't use those spinner thingies either.  They massacred my first lycra blend suit.

Stay warm all of you midwest/east coasters!

Great job on the PB and that was a great workout overall!  Thanks for the swimsuit suggestion.  I'll try them out.

Tracy, that's awesome.  I think i may hold my pee until everyone is about to pass me during the swim and as they do, yell "i peed."  maybe less people will pass me and i'll finish in the top half of the race??

2009-03-03 4:42 PM
in reply to: #1994829

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Fun day here, wife and 2 year old both sick with flu, my son and I are dodging germs atm..

Did get in a swim and a run today, looking forward to 60's on friday and the weekend, but with my usual luck they will be healthy and I will get sick right about the time it goes from 20 - 60...

2009-03-03 6:45 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Being a treadmill runner in the winter I would have to agree overall that there is definitely a big difference between TM and outside running. I know I will feel the effects for a little while when I get back outside but it will not last long. The best thing about the treadmill for me (other than not being cold ) was being able to get my pace down pat. One big disadvantage is that in fact there is no  breeze or wind to help cool one down a bit. It also becomes quite mind numbing after 5K or so. No different scenery either.

2009-03-03 6:56 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Big difference treadmill vs outside..I enjoy the outside for sure...But I am going to contradict Rob...He said there isn't any scenery on the treadmil. Ron...Come to my gym!! I have ton of scenery at my gym!! Oh you mean trees and stuff. Ya' we don't have that at mine. Just some ladies parading around showing off their new workout outfits!

Edited by TrevorC 2009-03-03 6:57 PM
2009-03-03 7:39 PM
in reply to: #1995218

User image

Champion

We have an indoor track at my gym so I run that if it is just too cold or rainy to run outside.

I think I used a treadmill in a hotel last year and just couldn't get a comfortable pace on it.

2009-03-03 10:53 PM

User image

Expert
B'ham

I'm not a fan of the TM, mostly because for me it is totally mind-numbing.  I can't keep my eyes off the timer and it just ticks so frickin slowly.  I also apparently don't have the coordination to check out any "scenery" that isn't right in front of me.  One turn of the head and I'm bumping off the handrails.  I didn't have issues w/ the TM when I first started running and had yet to try it outside.  Now its like the difference Crab and Krab - sure it's a run, but it isn't the real thing. (no offense to those that can bear it)

Trevor - good luck and have fun this weekend (in case I don't get back in here before you head out)

2009-03-04 6:09 AM
in reply to: #1995218

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

TrevorC - 2009-03-03 7:56 PM Big difference treadmill vs outside..I enjoy the outside for sure...But I am going to contradict Rob...He said there isn't any scenery on the treadmil. Ron...Come to my gym!! I have ton of scenery at my gym!! Oh you mean trees and stuff. Ya' we don't have that at mine. Just some ladies parading around showing off their new workout outfits!

OK I'm coming to your gym and see if I fall off the TM with "scenery". Unfortunately at my gym its mostly older guys that workout.

2009-03-04 7:25 AM
in reply to: #1995869

User image

Champion

WOO HOO!  Looks like a great weekend around here, I might have to sneak out a bit early on Friday for a ride.

TODAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
Mostly Sunny
Temp: 21 F
Hum: 45%
P: 30.51 in
Wind: 8mph NNW

Intermittent Clouds High 48F Low 32F

Mostly Cloudy High 60F Low 42F

Partly Sunny High 67F Low 44F

Intermittent Clouds High 68F Low 40F
Check the Past 24 Hour Conditions
High 37F Low 22F

2009-03-04 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Well, I just did it.  I finally registered for my first sprint tri in May.  I'm a little nervous now that I've actually committed to it, but I still have about 2 months to get ready so I should be fine.  One question though - the swim is a serpentine swim in a pool with people starting every 10-12 seconds based on their predicted time, but the application never asked me what I thought my time would be.  Is that something that they'll get from us later or do they wait until the morning of the tri to work that out (seems like it would be a lot of work to do it that morning).  I'm sure I'll be starting out towards the back, just wondered how they did that. 

We're going to be getting some gorgeous weather here this weekend too, although there is a chance for rain.  I'm OK with that as long as the temp is decent.  I'm taking a half day on Friday to go by the LBS and talk to them about bikes.  Not anywhere near ready to actually buy one, but I want to get an idea of how much I'll need to save up for when I do decide to get one.  And I want to see about getting new tires. 

Speaking of tires, I had the strangest dream last night.  I was trying to change out the rear tire on my MTB and had everything pulled apart and was attempting to put it all back together when I realized my tube was filled with water.  For some reason I felt like I needed to put it back on my bike that way.  That's when I woke up.  Strange - but maybe it's a combination of my nervousness about both the bike and swim. 

2009-03-04 10:19 AM
in reply to: #1995869

User image

Pro
Redknight - 2009-03-04 4:09 AM

TrevorC - 2009-03-03 7:56 PM Big difference treadmill vs outside..I enjoy the outside for sure...But I am going to contradict Rob...He said there isn't any scenery on the treadmil. Ron...Come to my gym!! I have ton of scenery at my gym!! Oh you mean trees and stuff. Ya' we don't have that at mine. Just some ladies parading around showing off their new workout outfits!

OK I'm coming to your gym and see if I fall off the TM with "scenery". Unfortunately at my gym its mostly older guys that workout.

At the gym that my wife and I belong to there is 35000 members so "scenery" is never a problem!  But that is not what the gym is for.... I prefer to watch Sportcenter on the TV's overhead, or concentrate on not falling off the treadmill! 

Note: That does say 35K members... It is called the Pro Club and it is the gym in Redmond right by Microsoft's campus.  It is a perk of Microsoft employee's that they get a free membership if they would like, and spouse pays $60 a month... Off the street this club is $2500 just to get in the door then it's like $200 a month for membership... I AM VERY LUCKY!!!  I do LOVE this gym!

2009-03-04 11:25 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Wow Steve that looks like quite a facility. And hey it's always good to have a florist at the gym. You never know when you need flowers!

2009-03-04 12:18 PM
in reply to: #1996329

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
soccermom15 - 2009-03-04 9:48 AM

Well, I just did it.  I finally registered for my first sprint tri in May.  I'm a little nervous now that I've actually committed to it, but I still have about 2 months to get ready so I should be fine.  One question though - the swim is a serpentine swim in a pool with people starting every 10-12 seconds based on their predicted time, but the application never asked me what I thought my time would be.  Is that something that they'll get from us later or do they wait until the morning of the tri to work that out (seems like it would be a lot of work to do it that morning).  I'm sure I'll be starting out towards the back, just wondered how they did that. 

We're going to be getting some gorgeous weather here this weekend too, although there is a chance for rain.  I'm OK with that as long as the temp is decent.  I'm taking a half day on Friday to go by the LBS and talk to them about bikes.  Not anywhere near ready to actually buy one, but I want to get an idea of how much I'll need to save up for when I do decide to get one.  And I want to see about getting new tires. 

Speaking of tires, I had the strangest dream last night.  I was trying to change out the rear tire on my MTB and had everything pulled apart and was attempting to put it all back together when I realized my tube was filled with water.  For some reason I felt like I needed to put it back on my bike that way.  That's when I woke up.  Strange - but maybe it's a combination of my nervousness about both the bike and swim. 

Congratulations Janet!!!  You will do fantastic.  My first tri was a snake swim also.  I think (not positive) we put our time time on our application...but also, before the race began they separated us into groups.  There were volunteers holding up sheets with "swim times" on them, ie:  under 6 minutes, 6 - 8 min., 8 - 10, etc.  So where ever your swim time fell you went and stood by that volunteer.  That's how we lined up for our swim.   I was in the 14 minute range at that time and was one of the last to start the swim.  The top finisher finished the race before I even got in the pool Tongue out

2009-03-04 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1995756

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
cadmus - 2009-03-03 10:53 PM

I'm not a fan of the TM, mostly because for me it is totally mind-numbing.  I can't keep my eyes off the timer and it just ticks so frickin slowly.  I also apparently don't have the coordination to check out any "scenery" that isn't right in front of me.  One turn of the head and I'm bumping off the handrails. 

That's funny....I have the exact same problem. Laughing

2009-03-04 12:22 PM
in reply to: #1996329

User image

Champion
soccermom15 - 2009-03-04 10:48 AM

Awesome.  You will have a blast.  At most of the sprints I have done they ask people when they are giving out last minute instructions how many are doing their first tri.  You'll probably be surprised how many hands go up.  To me it seems like 1/4 of the hands go up in the crowd.

You'll probably see everything from 10k tri bikes to single speed beach cruisers complete with baskets.

Get yourself working on a training plan and you will be all set.

As far as the snake swim goes that is surprising they didn't ask you for your time.  Though it does seem that a majority of the people even when they do submit times have no idea what their 100 time is.  My first Tri I did last year had people in the first 10 switch from freestyle to backstroke or breast stroke about 1/2 way through a 300M swim...

Edited by dalessit 2009-03-04 12:23 PM
2009-03-04 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Small Town

Wow, I haven't frequented our thread in a little while as my oldest daughter was sick last week - Watch out, the flu here is upwards of a week long ordeal...

TM - I hate running on the Tm, but when I'm at work I'm limited in options (other than an elliptical).  No good scenery here, just the other guys in the station - I'd rather pass on seeing them.  Movies work well for me, set an easy pace, normally much more slow than my outdoors pace.  The movies work well to take my mind off the monotany of the walls.

Soccermom - way to be on registering for your first tri!!

My first tri I ended up on my back for a bit - I wasn't prepared to be kicked and bumping into people.  So get that experience (OWS with friends) before the tri.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73