Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-08-23 9:34 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: 100d x 10m = 1 strong core

Day 23 in the books.  I can't believe it.  Seems like I started yesterday.

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

2013-08-23 9:45 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by popsracer

Good work. Are you feeling stronger?

I'm not sure how many days I'm in, but I'm 100% up to speed on all of them.
2013-08-24 10:06 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by MSU_Brad

Good work. Are you feeling stronger? I'm not sure how many days I'm in, but I'm 100% up to speed on all of them.

I do feel stronger.  Mostly feel it in my arms because I've been doing pushups but my hips, lower back, and abdominal area feel more solid and supportive.  The experience has changed my opinion on training specificity.  That is if you have time to do core you would be better off (as far as tri's go) if you spent the extra time doing more s/b/r'ing instead.  Up to some point and certainly 10 minutes a day doesn't reach that point, I don't believe that any more.  This has made me a better triathlete. 

2013-08-24 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft Campbell, Kentucky
Was on my R+R for 2 weeks, but I did keep cranking out my workouts. Feels like I have hit a bit of a plateau though. I am working on doing 100 reps straight with no break, but am stalled at 80 on the pushups, situps I can get to. Maybe I need to throw in some weight training.

I can say I can tell a difference. Normally I do not do very many pushups and situps and still pretty easily max all events on my physical fitness test. Now after actually doing these for awhile, I can rip right thru my pushups max number in about 45-50 seconds! Same goes for situps. I always could max the event, but now I can just rip thru them faster.

Even with that said, triathlon training is still a pretty good workout that did let me max my events before without really training the events. I remember standing next to a guy and saying I have done no pushups since our last test...........lol.
2013-08-25 8:45 PM
in reply to: Laffenguy

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Still rolling every day. Did a nice 12 minutes tonight after my evening run.

Picked up a new book by Tom on Friday on core specific exercises for biking. Haven't had a chance to dig into it yet, but it looked good when I picked it up. I'll let you know how it is.

http://velopress.com/books/tom-danielsons-core-advantage/

2013-08-26 7:05 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Good work. Are you feeling stronger? I'm not sure how many days I'm in, but I'm 100% up to speed on all of them.

I do feel stronger.  Mostly feel it in my arms because I've been doing pushups but my hips, lower back, and abdominal area feel more solid and supportive.  The experience has changed my opinion on training specificity.  That is if you have time to do core you would be better off (as far as tri's go) if you spent the extra time doing more s/b/r'ing instead.  Up to some point and certainly 10 minutes a day doesn't reach that point, I don't believe that any more.  This has made me a better triathlete. 

Really excellent points Steve. 

There are s/b/r specific differences I feel since starting this focus...

Swim: Better rotation and seems like more power/less fatigue because of that rotation

Bike: Less back fatigue

Run: Less back fatigue, but also really notice with increased speed better leg turnover. I'm guessing the stronger abs are helping my hip flexors in some way?  Or maybe the ab work has also increased hip flexor strength.  Not sure exactly, but that feels better.  I do some exercises hanging from the arms and lifting the legs up or to the side (with legs bent)--those seem really good for the running related ab muscles.

2013-08-26 2:02 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Hello all!!

Great progress all! Nice way to keep chugging along. Great job to everyone that have posting up about racing!

I have been unbelievably crazy last week and weekend but I have been keeping up with my abs... Checking in for last week....

Also, I need the opinion of the group. So Wednesday I had to work until about 10pm (hence why I skipped) and Thursday I had to drive to Indiana (4 hour drive), resolve a customer issue, and drive home; all in the same day. Anyway, during the drive home, around 9pm, I realized that I would not do my abs for a second day so I decided to do them in the car while I was driving....

So, I held my abs tight and crunched in while sitting in the drivers seat and driving. I did 20 1 minute intervals. Would you guys say this counts?

Tuesday: 10 min
Wednesday: skip
Thursday: 20 minutes in the car...
Friday: 10 min
Saturday: 20 min
Sunday: 10 min

2013-08-26 2:16 PM
in reply to: caffer

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Currently 9 days behind.... I am going to try and catch up this week and next week. I won't be running, my foot hurts!!!

My right foot has been bothering me a little since my OLY 2 weeks ago but this past weekend it really started hurting. I have an appointment with my Dr on Thursday to get it checked out. I am freaking out because I have a 10k race in about 2 weeks, worried I have a stress fracture....

I know several people have posted here about struggling with PF... Trying to do some self diagnosis here, what does the pain feel like?

Thanks!!
2013-08-26 3:36 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I'm back from vaca and very tan.  Cool

I faithfully did my core work down in Cancun...push-ups and planks on the beach are tough!!

Getting caught up on the goings on here last week.  More later...

2013-08-26 10:55 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by caffer

Currently 9 days behind.... I am going to try and catch up this week and next week. I won't be running, my foot hurts!!!

My right foot has been bothering me a little since my OLY 2 weeks ago but this past weekend it really started hurting. I have an appointment with my Dr on Thursday to get it checked out. I am freaking out because I have a 10k race in about 2 weeks, worried I have a stress fracture....

I know several people have posted here about struggling with PF... Trying to do some self diagnosis here, what does the pain feel like?

Thanks!!
Hmmmm...how to describe my PF pain:
1. Wake up in the morning, feel no pain whatsoever. Roll out of bed, put my feet on the ground, push myself up and nearly fall over on the first step because it feels like something is tearing in the bottom of my foot, especially back near the heel. Attempt to stretch through searing pain. It feels better through this, and tends to loosen up a little through the day.
2. On the worst days, it feels like every step you take is either on a very bruised and sensitive heel or like walking on glass. You find yourself walking 2mph.
3. When I did my HM last fall, it kicked in somewhere around 9-10 miles. PF generally shows up when you *aren't* using your feet, but it got me at that point of the race. I was cruising quite nicely for me, and the dropped suddenly to 11-12 minute miles because every step was pain. It constantly feels like something in the bottom of your foot is going to rip from being so tight.
4. I can feel a painful stretching near my heel on my right foot right now just by pulling my toes/foot back towards my face. It loosens up over time as I stretch.

That's a starter. Sorry if I made it sound dramatic, not trying to do that. If this is what you think it is, I want to scare you into figuring out what to do right away before you have to take any time off for it. It's a miserable thing.
2013-08-27 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by caffer Currently 9 days behind.... I am going to try and catch up this week and next week. I won't be running, my foot hurts!!! My right foot has been bothering me a little since my OLY 2 weeks ago but this past weekend it really started hurting. I have an appointment with my Dr on Thursday to get it checked out. I am freaking out because I have a 10k race in about 2 weeks, worried I have a stress fracture.... I know several people have posted here about struggling with PF... Trying to do some self diagnosis here, what does the pain feel like? Thanks!!
Hmmmm...how to describe my PF pain: 1. Wake up in the morning, feel no pain whatsoever. Roll out of bed, put my feet on the ground, push myself up and nearly fall over on the first step because it feels like something is tearing in the bottom of my foot, especially back near the heel. Attempt to stretch through searing pain. It feels better through this, and tends to loosen up a little through the day. 2. On the worst days, it feels like every step you take is either on a very bruised and sensitive heel or like walking on glass. You find yourself walking 2mph. 3. When I did my HM last fall, it kicked in somewhere around 9-10 miles. PF generally shows up when you *aren't* using your feet, but it got me at that point of the race. I was cruising quite nicely for me, and the dropped suddenly to 11-12 minute miles because every step was pain. It constantly feels like something in the bottom of your foot is going to rip from being so tight. 4. I can feel a painful stretching near my heel on my right foot right now just by pulling my toes/foot back towards my face. It loosens up over time as I stretch. That's a starter. Sorry if I made it sound dramatic, not trying to do that. If this is what you think it is, I want to scare you into figuring out what to do right away before you have to take any time off for it. It's a miserable thing.

I wake up to tightness and an inability to walk comfortably, mostly all in the heel. It stretches out and gets looser as the day goes on. I haven't been diagnosed or saw the doc for it, so for all I know it isn't actually PF. But from all accounts that I've heard, it is similar. When I feel it starting, I do a pretty good attack of massage/stretching. I use a golf ball then a softball or a stick on the bottom of the foot, rolling it between my foot and the floor. 

2013-08-27 7:14 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by caffer Currently 9 days behind.... I am going to try and catch up this week and next week. I won't be running, my foot hurts!!! My right foot has been bothering me a little since my OLY 2 weeks ago but this past weekend it really started hurting. I have an appointment with my Dr on Thursday to get it checked out. I am freaking out because I have a 10k race in about 2 weeks, worried I have a stress fracture.... I know several people have posted here about struggling with PF... Trying to do some self diagnosis here, what does the pain feel like? Thanks!!
Hmmmm...how to describe my PF pain: 1. Wake up in the morning, feel no pain whatsoever. Roll out of bed, put my feet on the ground, push myself up and nearly fall over on the first step because it feels like something is tearing in the bottom of my foot, especially back near the heel. Attempt to stretch through searing pain. It feels better through this, and tends to loosen up a little through the day. 2. On the worst days, it feels like every step you take is either on a very bruised and sensitive heel or like walking on glass. You find yourself walking 2mph. 3. When I did my HM last fall, it kicked in somewhere around 9-10 miles. PF generally shows up when you *aren't* using your feet, but it got me at that point of the race. I was cruising quite nicely for me, and the dropped suddenly to 11-12 minute miles because every step was pain. It constantly feels like something in the bottom of your foot is going to rip from being so tight. 4. I can feel a painful stretching near my heel on my right foot right now just by pulling my toes/foot back towards my face. It loosens up over time as I stretch. That's a starter. Sorry if I made it sound dramatic, not trying to do that. If this is what you think it is, I want to scare you into figuring out what to do right away before you have to take any time off for it. It's a miserable thing.

I wake up to tightness and an inability to walk comfortably, mostly all in the heel. It stretches out and gets looser as the day goes on. I haven't been diagnosed or saw the doc for it, so for all I know it isn't actually PF. But from all accounts that I've heard, it is similar. When I feel it starting, I do a pretty good attack of massage/stretching. I use a golf ball then a softball or a stick on the bottom of the foot, rolling it between my foot and the floor. 

My PF feels something between Chris's description and Brad's description.  Currently I'm much more at the Chris end of things, but last year at this time I was decidedly at the Brad end of things.  I tried everything over the course of last year, including taking 6 full weeks off of running  (didn't help).  What finally helped me is running every day.  I don't always run a lot (sometimes it's as short as 2 miles), but the frequency has really helped my PF.

2013-08-27 7:16 AM
in reply to: Laffenguy

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Laffenguy Was on my R+R for 2 weeks, but I did keep cranking out my workouts. Feels like I have hit a bit of a plateau though. I am working on doing 100 reps straight with no break, but am stalled at 80 on the pushups, situps I can get to. Maybe I need to throw in some weight training. I can say I can tell a difference. Normally I do not do very many pushups and situps and still pretty easily max all events on my physical fitness test. Now after actually doing these for awhile, I can rip right thru my pushups max number in about 45-50 seconds! Same goes for situps. I always could max the event, but now I can just rip thru them faster. Even with that said, triathlon training is still a pretty good workout that did let me max my events before without really training the events. I remember standing next to a guy and saying I have done no pushups since our last test...........lol.

I was always kinda slack jawed by these guys when I was in the military.  It's like, um, "Dude, you know you have to do this every year.  Really? None?" Lol is right.

Glad your stuff seems to be going so well.  Those are some pretty awesome numbers:)

2013-08-27 7:19 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by caffer Hello all!! Great progress all! Nice way to keep chugging along. Great job to everyone that have posting up about racing! I have been unbelievably crazy last week and weekend but I have been keeping up with my abs... Checking in for last week.... Also, I need the opinion of the group. So Wednesday I had to work until about 10pm (hence why I skipped) and Thursday I had to drive to Indiana (4 hour drive), resolve a customer issue, and drive home; all in the same day. Anyway, during the drive home, around 9pm, I realized that I would not do my abs for a second day so I decided to do them in the car while I was driving.... So, I held my abs tight and crunched in while sitting in the drivers seat and driving. I did 20 1 minute intervals. Would you guys say this counts? Tuesday: 10 min Wednesday: skip Thursday: 20 minutes in the car... Friday: 10 min Saturday: 20 min Sunday: 10 min

Yes, it counts, though you may be a cyborg or something ;)

2013-08-27 7:21 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I'm back from vaca and very tan.  Cool

I faithfully did my core work down in Cancun...push-ups and planks on the beach are tough!!

Getting caught up on the goings on here last week.  More later...

Welcome back Mike!

I bet they are tough, yet, strangely, I don't feel sorry for you.  Suck it up princess.

2013-08-27 8:03 AM

User image

is it too late to start?

2013-08-27 9:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by cdban66

My PF feels something between Chris's description and Brad's description.  Currently I'm much more at the Chris end of things, but last year at this time I was decidedly at the Brad end of things.  I tried everything over the course of last year, including taking 6 full weeks off of running  (didn't help).  What finally helped me is running every day.  I don't always run a lot (sometimes it's as short as 2 miles), but the frequency has really helped my PF.

Thank you all very much for the info. My pain is more like a dull pain in the arch of my foot toward the outside, I don't feel anything in the heel of my foot..... No worries about your description Brad, I have been lucky that I haven't really had to deal with a lot of injuries so I want to nip this in the bud.

2013-08-27 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Originally posted by caffer Hello all!! Great progress all! Nice way to keep chugging along. Great job to everyone that have posting up about racing! I have been unbelievably crazy last week and weekend but I have been keeping up with my abs... Checking in for last week.... Also, I need the opinion of the group. So Wednesday I had to work until about 10pm (hence why I skipped) and Thursday I had to drive to Indiana (4 hour drive), resolve a customer issue, and drive home; all in the same day. Anyway, during the drive home, around 9pm, I realized that I would not do my abs for a second day so I decided to do them in the car while I was driving.... So, I held my abs tight and crunched in while sitting in the drivers seat and driving. I did 20 1 minute intervals. Would you guys say this counts? Tuesday: 10 min Wednesday: skip Thursday: 20 minutes in the car... Friday: 10 min Saturday: 20 min Sunday: 10 min

Yes, it counts, though you may be a cyborg or something

Well, driving around looking for Sarah Conner is rather boring.......

Actually, I was driving through rural Ohio, it was late, and I was REALLY bored.......
2013-08-27 10:15 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by b2b14 is it too late to start?

No.  It absolutely isn't.  I kinda imagine this 100days turning into an ongoing core support group or something.  We'd love to have you join us:)

2013-08-27 10:17 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by caffer

Yes, it counts, though you may be a cyborg or something ;)

Well, driving around looking for Sarah Conner is rather boring....... Actually, I was driving through rural Ohio, it was late, and I was REALLY bored.......

Dude, I've been really bored in a car before, and it has never crossed my mind to do 20(!!!) 1 minute sets of seated ab crunches. So cyborg.

It's really strong work.  This is just my backazz way of giving you a compliment :)

2013-08-27 10:34 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago

No.  It absolutely isn't.  I kinda imagine this 100days turning into an ongoing core support group or something.  We'd love to have you join us

So in that case, do you mind if another person joins in?

I finished my last tri of the year about a week ago and I've been feeling a little unfocused heading into the fall. A challenge like this would get me ready for winter training. I started yesterday and 100 days would carry me through to Dec 3.

Are there any rules or just post w/our progress?

2013-08-27 10:40 AM
in reply to: doxie

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by doxie

No.  It absolutely isn't.  I kinda imagine this 100days turning into an ongoing core support group or something.  We'd love to have you join us:)

So in that case, do you mind if another person joins in? :)

I finished my last tri of the year about a week ago and I've been feeling a little unfocused heading into the fall. A challenge like this would get me ready for winter training. I started yesterday and 100 days would carry me through to Dec 3.

Yes!  Please join :)

There really aren't any rules, per se.  We've joked about requiring a starting pic, but it really is just a joke.  Lots of us took and posted "before" pics, but we've decided they're really more for motivation than anything else, as the goal of this core work is to help prevent injury and improve performance on S/B/R. 

There is a spreadsheet that Chris started, though I haven't updated my progress in it since week two or something ridiculous.  Just check in, keep us posted, ask questions and try to stay motivated to your 10 minutes a day.  I think for some it helps "compliance" to report to the group.  Feel free to do that if it helps you:)

2013-08-27 11:16 AM

User image

Master

No.  It absolutely isn't.  I kinda imagine this 100days turning into an ongoing core support group or something.  We'd love to have you join us

Ha!  More like 12 step program...Hi my name is Kirsten and my core is flabby.

2013-08-27 11:29 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Never too late!!  Welcome to the challenge.  I started later too but it's been all good.

2013-08-27 11:33 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by doxie

So in that case, do you mind if another person joins in?

Yes!  Please join

There really aren't any rules, per se.  We've joked about requiring a starting pic, but it really is just a joke.  Lots of us took and posted "before" pics, but we've decided they're really more for motivation than anything else, as the goal of this core work is to help prevent injury and improve performance on S/B/R. 

There is a spreadsheet that Chris started, though I haven't updated my progress in it since week two or something ridiculous.  Just check in, keep us posted, ask questions and try to stay motivated to your 10 minutes a day.  I think for some it helps "compliance" to report to the group.  Feel free to do that if it helps you

Great to have you join in. 

Pics a joke??  I think you just say that to the ladies as I think you required pics from the guys.Tongue out

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 100d x 10m = 1 strong core Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED POSTS

MARCH ABS / CORE RESULTS

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1421 Posts: 3

2007-04-03 4:11 PM annie

ABS CORE - End of Week #3

Started by hazmaster
Views: 2065 Posts: 19

2007-04-03 7:41 AM saling4

MARCH ABS / CORE - 2ND WEEK!

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1733 Posts: 14

2007-03-26 4:13 PM tritwinmom

ABS / CORE MARCH CHALLENGE - TEAM LIST Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by hazmaster
Views: 10580 Posts: 121

2007-03-20 3:06 PM hazmaster

May Core Strengthening Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madkat
Views: 5610 Posts: 52

2006-06-03 2:57 PM madkat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 22, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Will you will finish your next triathlon swim strong, or will you run out of steam before you even start the majority of your race?

date : September 3, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
comments : 2
Why triathletes must absolutely warm up, activate muscles, strengthen core, and stretch effectively.
date : July 26, 2006
author : Ron
How do you know if your strength training is effective? Are you getting stronger? Several training log graphs can lend a clue.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Weight training and core strength information and links for the silver/gold plans.
date : January 30, 2006
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 0
The goal of this program is simple – for the cyclist to have IMPROVED performance when the next season rolls around, not merely to maintain last season’s fitness.

date : June 14, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 3
Top swimmers rotate the core of the body from one side to the other while keeping the head fixed. When you rotate in this way, you move through the water more like a fish, maximizing your efficiency.
date : May 3, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 55
A strong core will allow you to keep optimal body alignment for whatever you’re doing (swim, bike or run), and this in turn will reduce your fatigue in the long run.

date : March 21, 2005
author : Manny
Train your core! The following program is designed for an in-season triathlete, can be done anywhere and with no equipment.