Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2009-08-24 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2367379

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Subject: RE: Everyone's a Winner
rventuri - 2009-08-24 2:05 PM JF Said: "I don’t think it’s good for the future of any endurance sport when going slowly for a long time just so one can cross the finish line is held in higher regard than going very fast for a short distance" I think what Friel may be saying is that as I said earlier, "just finishing" an Ironman holds a lot more of a "wow" factor than say winning your age-group in a Olympic or a Sprint. It seems many individuals just want to run a marathon or complete an Ironman just to say they did it. When that same individual - with a limited amount of time to train - could be competitive enough to win their age-group in a Olympic or Sprint if they didn't jump to the longer distances undertrained. But it seems a lot of first timers believe once they compete in their first sprint, even if they finish BOP, they now need to move on to "bigger and better" things like a HIM or Ironman. People see me running, biking, etc. all the time and ask me why. When I tell them that I compete in triathlons, immediately they think of the images of people crawling across the finish line in Kona. When I tell them I won my age group with a time just over an hour ... I get that "big deal" look and that's the end of the conversation. It probably has a lot to do with how Ironman events are covered on TV. It always kind of irritates me that they spend 90% of the coverage talking about the competitors that are not in contention to win, but have interesting personal stories and will struggle across the finish line in 16 hours. But only a little time is given to the actual winners. Thus they to are promoting the "everyone's a winner" philosophy.

Just my 2 cents. The above comment is the way I see things also.

2009-08-24 5:14 PM
in reply to: #2366267

User image

Expert
I'm all for applauding "finishers"..they are undoubtedly in better shape because of whatever amount they put in compared to when they started. My wife and I are on different sides of this issue. She wouldn't care if she ever improved. She just likes getting out, training, and having fun. I like that too...but my goal is to do every race next time faster than last year. I do hope to do an IM in the next 2-3 years. Will I do it sub 11? No. Is that a bad thing for the sport? No. It is the best I can do with my God given ability and 4 young kids taking my time....

As far as the learning to lose. I remember the joy of making a team as well as getting cut. It only happened once. It hurt. But guess what. I went out the next year and made the team...and started every game. I practiced against my best friend who was a stud on the baseball diamond. Getting cut made me better in the long run. My daughter finished 2nd in the state last year in gymnastics...she moved up a level and this weekend had her a$$ handed to her by the older kids. She and her friend, both being used to the podium, were very disappointed and some tears were shed....but they are both at practice now....and I bet working harder than ever.
2009-08-24 5:17 PM
in reply to: #2365928

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-08-24 5:51 PM
in reply to: #2367643

Master
Redlands, CA
gettingthere - 2009-08-24 2:38 PM
furiousferret - 2009-08-24 4:19 PM

I admire the girl who lost 100 lbs and finished a marathon, or the guy who finished on one leg,  but in the end of the day profiling them is an insult to the winners and the rest of the competitors in the race. 

This thread makes me sad. I hear people saying: slow people get out of my way, no one deserves a medal except the people that place in the top, people that overcome huge hurdles don't deserve acclaim for their accomplishments if they don't win the race....

Maybe I am misinterpreting some of these posts, but I don't think so.

I feel like a winner every time I choose to go for a run instead of sitting on my arse drinking a beer (which is what  I really want to do). I feel like a winner when I choose to eat oatmeal instead of a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich. I feel like a winner when I cross that finish line, no matter how long it took me, cause I tried my very best and never gave up and made sacrifices to get there.

I think everyone should just do their own thing.

No they don't.  In a race there's anywhere from 200 to 5000 competitors, and almost everyone there has had to overcome something to be there.  Be it a recovering alcoholic, to a single mother with 5 kids, even Craig Alexander has his issues going up to the race.  Everyone is equal in a race, we all put in 100%, and we all have our own goals and our own divisions to compete in.  If you are there to just finish that's just fine too.
2009-08-24 6:03 PM

Expert
The fat guy on the couch can go out an sprint 100 meters, maybe not fast but he can. He in no way shape or form would make it close to a fraction of the distance most of the people on this forum cover. We compete in all aspects of our life everyday, work, school, unfortunately relationships too. Does this HAVE to be that way as well. I find long periods of exercise good time for reflection and self discovery and finding paces within myself I didnt know existed. As far as wanting to participate in triathlons, well did you ever hear the phrase misery loves company? Watching you suffer motivates me to suffer more too. In the end we both win. I feel I accomplished something, you were able to add another name to the list of people you were better than on that day. To each their own.
2009-08-24 6:08 PM
in reply to: #2367725

Champion
Alabama

PennState - 2009-08-24 5:17 PM Wasn't it Cartman on Southpark who made the observation that:

"If everyone in life is special, doesn't that make special the by definition not so special?"

I am paraphrasing here.

Only if we are special in the same way.  We are all individuals and no two of us are alike...therefore we are all special in different way. 

Personally I think "races" are WAY over-rated.  People to too much emphasis in both competing and completing. 

As for performance, a race is just a snapshot in time of who happens to be the best on that particular day.  The guy that wins the race is not the best or fastest triathlete...he just happens to be faster than the triathletes that happened to showed up that day.

As for completing...so what?!  Your accomplishment and reward should be that you were able to train you are healtheir and fitter for having trained.  The race itself should be more of a celebration of your accomplishment not the accomplishment in and of itself.  Not sure I'm communicating that very well.

~Mike

2009-08-24 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2367795

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Rogillio - 2009-08-24 6:08 PM
Personally I think "races" are WAY over-rated.  People to too much emphasis in both competing and completing. 

As for performance, a race is just a snapshot in time of who happens to be the best on that particular day.  The guy that wins the race is not the best or fastest triathlete...he just happens to be faster than the triathletes that happened to showed up that day.

OK, see now that's your opinion and that's cool, but a race is a race and the point is to try and win. And since you don't "race" or like to "race" I can assure you a race is much more than a snapshot of who is faster that particular day. That's insulting to the winner. It's the result of all the hard work and dedication and should be acknowledged as such. There is a reason that certain people "win" a lot. I have placed in my AG in EVERY triathlon I have ever done with the exception of Clearwater (10th) and Kona (27th). I work hard for that. In doing so, I take nothing away from someone who struggles to finish or is happy with that result. I'm not perpetuating BOP/FOP class warfare, you are with comments like that.

Edited by bryancd 2009-08-24 7:22 PM
2009-08-24 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2367888

Champion
Alabama

bryancd - 2009-08-24 7:16 PM
Rogillio - 2009-08-24 6:08 PM Personally I think "races" are WAY over-rated.  People to too much emphasis in both competing and completing. 

OK, see now that's your opinion and that's cool, but a race is a race and the point is to try and win. And since you don't "race" or like to "race" I can assure you a race is much more than a snapshot of who is faster that particular day. That's insulting to the winner. It's the result of all the hard work and dedication and should be acknowledged as such. There is a reason that certain people "win" a lot. I have placed in my AG in EVERY triathlon I have ever done with the exception of Clearwater (10th) and Kona (27th). I work hard for that. In doing so, I take nothing away from someone who struggles to finish or is happy with that result. I'm not perpetuating BOP/FOP class warfare, you are with comments like that.

I am sorry you are offended by my forensic opinion about racing.  I'm not much of an athlete and don't follow competitive sports so I don't put much stock in winning and losing sports competitions.  Personally I think there are more important things one can do in life than trying to out-do everyone.  But if you win a race and you think you are the best triathlete, I'm happy for you and I hope  you win every time you toe the line.  But my opinion of you will not be any more or any less if you win the race or come in DFL.  All that matters to me is if you are happy with your performance.  I'm more interersted in a man's character than in his athletic ability or how hard he trains.  Just my strange view of the world.  I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else who tries to win every race they enter.

~Mike

Edited by Rogillio 2009-08-24 8:06 PM
2009-08-24 8:05 PM

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
A lot of this is a question of how you define "winning."

In the context of a RACE, my personal definition of "winning" is to be the top finisher overall or in a specified age group/category.

Personal victories, accomplishments, attainment of goals, etc., while admirable, commendable, good, and to be encouraged, are NOT "winning." I have achieved things I'm infinitely proud of in triathlon and I'm nowhere close to winning anything. And I'm totally fine with that! Why shouldn't I be? I don't need to be labeled a "winner" to be proud of what I've accomplished, because as far as the race, i.e. the competitive event I entered, I didn't win.

Part of the problem is that our society is so hellbent on propping up non-winners that we have lost sight of the fact that it's 100%, totally and completely OK to NOT be a "winner," and that not winning doesn't take a single thing away from what we accomplish or achieve.

Edited by DrPete 2009-08-24 8:07 PM
2009-08-24 8:11 PM

Extreme Veteran
I have not read all 6 pages of this thread ... probably only half, so if this has already been said, I apologize.

I think that it is great that more people are participating in triathlon, isn't that what we want?  To bring more athletes to our sport?

I think the obsession with Ironman does somewhat overshadow the other great athletes that race and train and perform well in shorter distance races, but at the end of the day, is it external satisfaction that we are seeking?  For someone else to tell us we are special because we got hardware (or not) in a Sprint or an Oly or because we "simply" finished an Ironman?

Those that place in races of any distance get the recognition they deserve on the podium.

I train and race for myself and I strive to improve each race.  I know lots of people who enjoy the training and race for fun, with no illusions of ever reaching a podium and I don't think that fact in any way diminishes those that are fighting for a top AG finish or a Kona spot.

We are the ambassadors of our sport and if we want the general population to understand more about the sport, then we need to do a better PR job.  Educate our friends and family about the different distances and the challenges associated with each. 

I like to race long because I am not a sprinter, but that does not mean I don't have a helluva lot of respect for those that race shorter distance races in times that I cannot even phathom!

At the end of the day, we are all here (and out on the race course) for our own reasons and people are never going to agree on the compete versus complete debate -- and that is ok too!

Edited by irondreams 2009-08-24 8:13 PM
2009-08-24 8:34 PM

Marvarnett - 2009-08-24 8:21 AM Came across this blog entry from Joe Friel

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/08/everyones-winner.html

An interesting quotes: "Overall, the times for age groupers have gotten slower, it seems.  The slower age group times reflect a changed attitude among those who run marathons.  The sport for most age groupers has become a social activity rather than a performance challenge.  Finishing times are not an issue any more; finishing is the whole thing.  "Everyone is a winner," permeates the sport."

Is this the same Joe Friel who wrote the book: Going Long   And in that book on page 99 he states the ring and pinkie finger should enter first when swimming.   http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=8847&photoid=96093  I spoke with many a swimmer and have not found one person who agrees with this.  Hmmm...

Going Long is actually a great book but it's not the bible, nor is his actual Training Bible a bible.  It has many imperfections and skewed philosophies.  And also -- I wonder how many Age Groupers doing this as a "social activity"; not a "performance challenge" have bought Joe's books?

Joe is allowed his opinion, as is everyone on this site.  My opinion is that everyone who shows up on Race Day is a winner.  The guys and gals sitting at home eating cheese doodles on the couch who do not even try to engage in any physcial activity, those are the losers.    

Lastly, it takes a heck of an arrogant ego for someone as slow as Friel, compared to competitve athletes, to worry about the times slowing.  And I'd be willing to bet most of these Age Groupers are his biggest profit pool.  If I wanted to sell more books, I'd be careful about insulting my biggest potential customer base.  But that's just me and my opinion        

Edited by Dream Chaser 2009-08-24 8:38 PM

2009-08-24 8:34 PM

• Main Entry: win·ner
  • Pronunciation: \'wi-n?r\
  • Function: noun
  • Date: 14th century

: one that wins: as a : one that is successful especially through praiseworthy ability and hard work b : a victor especially in games and sports c : one that wins admiration

As per the Merriams-Webster Dictionary, if you have worked hard, a loved one or friend praises your effort and ability, and you succesfully cross that finish line... then you are a Winner.  If you want to argue with the dictionary, then that's on you  

The one who crosses the line first is the First Place Winner, then second so on and so forth.  But everyone who crosses the line, 80-year-old, amputee, blind, first triathlon ever, etc... is a WINNER.  I have spoken

Edited by Dream Chaser 2009-08-24 8:44 PM
2009-08-24 8:45 PM

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
I've read some of the posts, but here are my thoughts:
- I don't believe everyone is a winner, there are winners and losers in the life and in every sport we play, otherwise, why keep score or keep time.
- I do believe that everyone that gets their butt out the door and out training and out racing, regardless of speed, is more of a life winner than the couch potato that lives by the creed of "eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we may die" (okay, we do this too--but we earn it, and somehow we are "merry" by pushing our bodies--at least we do it in a healthy manner!)
- I do not believe slower folks diminish faster folks.
- I am all for more people getting out the door and to the start line...maybe they'll be inspired by the faster folks and get faster.  I know that happened to me in my first 10 miler and it only exploded after that.
- Everyone has a first, and most of us were not all the speedy when we first started
- IT IS A HOBBY! Holy cow people, WE PAY to do this stuff (and often get ridiculed for that very thing) in every form from lack of sleep, money for gear, money for races, performance foods, etc. BUT IT IS A HOBBY!  If you aren't the best fisherman, but you still fish, does that diminish the ones making the big bucks at tournaments?  If you are so-so golfer, but have fun with it, does it diminish the serious competitors, both amateur and pro?
IT IS A HOBBY! If you are dedicated enough to train and race and pay for it all because it's what you want to do, well, I'm grateful that you've got a much healthier hobby than just getting wasted on the weekends at ridiculous parties, and amazingly enough, this is a hobby that often inspires and encourages others to get out there and give running, biking, swimming, or all three a shot.
Unless you are making money from triathlons, IT IS A HOBBY! Even if you are going to Kona, if you're not making money from it, IT IS A HOBBY.  It may be a lifestyle hobby...but it's a hobby.  Why do I do this hobby? I do it because I ALWAYS have someone to beat, either in my Age Group or my own time.  Do I win or place in my AG everytime, no, I don't...but I STRIVE to and I LOVE THAT.  It's what gets my adrenaline going. Sometimes I'm WAY out of my league with my competitors and they whoop my butt, other times I get to do the butt whopping...but I love the idea of race, and competition, and when I LOSE (i.e. not place first) I am inspired to try HARDER next time.  It's what makes my HOBBY (my lifestyle hobby) so much fun for me and why I keep doing it!
Some people knit, I swim, bike, and run.

Edited by TexasMPGal 2009-08-24 8:48 PM
2009-08-24 8:51 PM
in reply to: #2367952

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Rogillio - 2009-08-24 7:49 PM
I'm more interersted in a man's character than in his athletic ability or how hard he trains. 

But wouldn't that be a direct reflection of his character? In terms of dedication, perseverence, commitment? All admirable qualities, IMO.
I know you enjoy woodworking. Do you take pride in what you create? I could care less about that, but can still respect the skill.

Edited by bryancd 2009-08-24 9:06 PM
2009-08-24 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2368084

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
TexasMPGal - 2009-08-24 8:45 PM I've read some of the posts, but here are my thoughts:
- I don't believe everyone is a winner, there are winners and losers in the life and in every sport we play, otherwise, why keep score or keep time.
- I do believe that everyone that gets their butt out the door and out training and out racing, regardless of speed, is more of a life winner than the couch potato that lives by the creed of "eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we may die" (okay, we do this too--but we earn it, and somehow we are "merry" by pushing our bodies--at least we do it in a healthy manner!)
- I do not believe slower folks diminish faster folks.
- I am all for more people getting out the door and to the start line...maybe they'll be inspired by the faster folks and get faster.  I know that happened to me in my first 10 miler and it only exploded after that.
- Everyone has a first, and most of us were not all the speedy when we first started
- IT IS A HOBBY! Holy cow people, WE PAY to do this stuff (and often get ridiculed for that very thing) in every form from lack of sleep, money for gear, money for races, performance foods, etc. BUT IT IS A HOBBY!  If you aren't the best fisherman, but you still fish, does that diminish the ones making the big bucks at tournaments?  If you are so-so golfer, but have fun with it, does it diminish the serious competitors, both amateur and pro?
IT IS A HOBBY! If you are dedicated enough to train and race and pay for it all because it's what you want to do, well, I'm grateful that you've got a much healthier hobby than just getting wasted on the weekends at ridiculous parties, and amazingly enough, this is a hobby that often inspires and encourages others to get out there and give running, biking, swimming, or all three a shot.
Unless you are making money from triathlons, IT IS A HOBBY! Even if you are going to Kona, if you're not making money from it, IT IS A HOBBY.  It may be a lifestyle hobby...but it's a hobby.  Why do I do this hobby? I do it because I ALWAYS have someone to beat, either in my Age Group or my own time.  Do I win or place in my AG everytime, no, I don't...but I STRIVE to and I LOVE THAT.  It's what gets my adrenaline going. Sometimes I'm WAY out of my league with my competitors and they whoop my butt, other times I get to do the butt whopping...but I love the idea of race, and competition, and when I LOSE (i.e. not place first) I am inspired to try HARDER next time.  It's what makes my HOBBY (my lifestyle hobby) so much fun for me and why I keep doing it!
Some people knit, I swim, bike, and run.

Amen Sister!
2009-08-24 9:12 PM

Master
So, we have the "winner" vs. "finisher" semantics argument. Every finisher is, according to Webster, a winner. So be it.
We have the slower avg. times. If it is due to more participation, great! We need more interest in healthy lifestyles and fitness in this country.
The best are getting better, and they ARE the best. They deserve the credit for being the second meaning for winner in Websters. Does anyone doubt this?
Each of us has our own subjective judgment of what constitutes a successful race. However, we must all realize that there is a objective side of it. However, I don't need to jump for joy for you if you walked a marathon distance. In many countries, they call that "Tuesday going to market".
I have no problem with medal whores and t-shirt trophy hunters. If they go one and done, it means more quality used gear available for me to buy.
The focus on the long distance only-only unhealthy if you don't make sure you stay healthy while getting to the point you can do it.

2009-08-24 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2368055

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
Dream Chaser - 2009-08-24 9:34 PM

• Main Entry: win·ner
  • Pronunciation: \'wi-n?r\
  • Function: noun
  • Date: 14th century

: one that wins: as a : one that is successful especially through praiseworthy ability and hard work b : a victor especially in games and sports c : one that wins admiration

As per the Merriams-Webster Dictionary, if you have worked hard, a loved one or friend praises your effort and ability, and you succesfully cross that finish line... then you are a Winner.  If you want to argue with the dictionary, then that's on you  

The one who crosses the line first is the First Place Winner, then second so on and so forth.  But everyone who crosses the line, 80-year-old, amputee, blind, first triathlon ever, etc... is a WINNER.  I have spoken

If we're to buy this definition, then the finish line is a completely arbitrary boundary. Why not label everyone who STARTS a winner?
2009-08-24 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2368143

Champion
the colony texas
hey .. if it wasn't for my fast swimming and poor biking,, you would have no one to pass and feel good about yourself...

it's us BOP peeps that make you FOP... if we don't show up then you are MOP... or something like that...
2009-08-24 10:20 PM
in reply to: #2368176

I used to be a pretty good runner.  I was almost always competitive in my age group, and occasionally I would win a race or place in the top three overall.  The thing I really liked about the running community was that after the race, you could schmooze with the elites, and it was no big deal.  I’ve met Frank Shorter, and Bill Rodgers, and they were really nice down to earth guys.  Geez, Bill Rodgers was such a nice guy, that I practically had to pry myself away from him.  “Sorry Bill, I gotta go!”

After a couple of knee surgeries, I had to curtail my running career.  That’s when I got into triathlon.  On my best day I’m in the top third, usually, I’m a MOP’er.  When I do triathlons, I work hard.  That doesn’t mean I’m as fast as a lot of people, but my legs burn on the bike, I’m spitting snot and sweat on the run, and well yeah I suck at swimming.

Seems as though some of you are letting you're elitism show.  I’ve experienced it at races.  I’ve been screamed at by fellow triathletes for “getting in their way” (it's not my fault there are wave starts, or you lap me on the multi loop bike course). 

Accept the newbies, encourage them, it’s better for our sport in the long run.

Ralph

2009-08-25 6:25 AM
in reply to: #2368095

Champion
Alabama

bryancd - 2009-08-24 8:51 PM
Rogillio - 2009-08-24 7:49 PM I'm more interersted in a man's character than in his athletic ability or how hard he trains. 
But wouldn't that be a direct reflection of his character? In terms of dedication, perseverence, commitment? All admirable qualities, IMO. I know you enjoy woodworking. Do you take pride in what you create? I could care less about that, but can still respect the skill.

OK, I'll concede this to a degree.  Good point.

~Mike

2009-08-25 6:32 AM
in reply to: #2366212

Tyler,
wavedog - 2009-08-24 9:23 AM

Gaarryy - 2009-08-24 8:52 AM
Marvarnett - 2009-08-24 7:21 AM Came across this blog entry from Joe Friel

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/08/everyones-winner.html

An interesting quotes: "Overall, the times for age groupers have gotten slower, it seems.  The slower age group times reflect a changed attitude among those who run marathons.  The sport for most age groupers has become a social activity rather than a performance challenge.  Finishing times are not an issue any more; finishing is the whole thing.  "Everyone is a winner," permeates the sport."

actually I dont' care if I'm a winner... I do it to meet the ladies...

X2, I do it for the chicks.

X3, beating Gary out of the water to steal his bike is just an added bonus.

2009-08-25 6:55 AM
in reply to: #2367229

Master
mrbbrad - 2009-08-24 3:15 PM Someone else used to push the "Everyone is a winner" message.....

and the people of Minnesota put him in the senate
2009-08-25 7:07 AM
in reply to: #2367541

Master
Renee - 2009-08-24 5:00 PM

I read the entire blog entry. I don't think what Friel wrote was controversial.

I also think the subject of this thread is misleading, with respect to Friel's overall message. For example, he also wrote this: 

One good thing I see about this shift in attitude in sport is that it encourages more people to participate.

It's been many moons since I had to take a reading comprehension test, but if I had to summarize his blog entry I would choose:

Many people are choosing endurance events because the attitude seems to be that going long is more macho (or a more worthy accomplishment) than performing well at a shorter distance. I prefer the days when performance was the measure, rather than simply finishing a long(er) event. But it's good that more people are participating, in general.

My 2cents but adjusted for inflation, you owe me a quarter.

X2 I would also add that for me it is a health issue. The more I train the better i control my diabetes. The races I choose are the pay off for the training. I am trying to do one a month or so to give myself a tangible goal to work towards.
I am happy to finish, I would love to be FOP, or on the podium, but I realize that my body has limitations to it, just as my day only has 24 hours.
I try as hard as I am mentally and physically able and I train the same way, and while i would love to be on the podium it is more important (TO ME) to keep my health.
2009-08-25 7:08 AM

"I do it for the drugs
I do it just to feel alive
I do it for the love
That I get from the bottom of a bottle"

Just kidding, good Smile Empty Soul song thoughWink
2009-08-25 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2366965

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
wurkit_gurl - 2009-08-24 1:58 PM

Marvarnett - 2009-08-24 1:45 PMAnd IMHO, the people that say, "I am never going to win XYZ or be on the podium" are just resolving themselves to that fate.  Wether you're out there to be healthy, show off that new $15,000 bike, or try to win overall believe that you can accomplish what you put your mind to.  Don't sell yourself short and say, "I won't ever..."

Maybe so, but it may also be those people being realistic. For some people, this is just a hobby. Could they improve enough to podium if they had 40+ hours a week to train, no families, no job, no other hobbies or priorities? Maybe. But maybe they don't want to give up or compromise on those things. And then there's the physical aspect. Some people, for whatever reason, may not physically be capable of going that fast. Some people might not be able to handle the intensity of the running training necessary to run a 30 minute 10K (after biking 25 miles), because their knees would give out long before that, and perhaps they'd rather run 9:00 miles instead of not being able to run at all. Or perhaps many of us weren't elite athletes when we were teenagers and trying to catch up on decades of intense training and conditioning can very hard to do without injury - esp. when you factor in "life" obligations. Your body ages. It breaks down, and there's only so much you can do to stop it. Some people are genetically gifted enough to jump into this stuff at the age of 30 and be amazing. Some people aren't. And I don't think that there is anything wrong with either of these scenarios.

Wow did this thread balloon!

I would venture to say that more most everyone on the board this is a hobby.  You state that you have to put 40+ hrs, no family, no job, etc and I just sit back and the first word that comes to my mind is "excuses".

You are entitled to your view as I am mine.  I choose to side with people like the man I ran into before my workout last weekend. He was 80 yrs old and was telling me how he ran a 3:05 marathon at age 60.  Or the man that always finished the TTP race series and he is 83 yrs old.  Those are the views that I choose to side with.  It seems to *ME* that you find it easier to just throw our 'reasons' why it's hard to do something (whatever it is)

We all have challenges that prevent us from training.  It's how you overcome those challenges that I find interesting and reveal character in someone.

Renee:  Thank you for your insight and as usual it is spot on.

For the Newbies:  NO ONE on here is saying that you are not good enough, fast enough, etc for the sport.  At least not that I have read (and I read every post).  But rather the question people are 'arguing' is wether you are giving it your all when you toe that line at a RACE.  Get away from the but I finished first or last crap.  It's did you truly RACE the RACE.  Or did you go out there with just enough effort to finish.

I'm not saying either one is good or bad, but that is I think the crux of what people are getting at.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Everyone's a Winner Rss Feed  

of 9