BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-01-03 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3257308

User image

Expert
Canada
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL
Speaking of my nemesis, the swim, I suspect everyone has seen this, but here it is again anyway.

www.swimsmooth.com

2011-01-03 6:27 PM
in reply to: #3275213

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
JosieO
Posted 2011-01-03 6:54 PM (#3275213 - in reply to #3257308)

Holy Cow, this thing exploded while I was working over the weekend!  Wow, I'm excited now. 

I had planned on starting swimming today (Monday), but went to the grocery store instead.  Little one has a respiratory virus, too, so I couldn't take her to the YMCA child watch. 

I'm full of excuses, but honestly I'm just super scared of swimming.  I know how, but do not feel good about it at all.  I'm scared of having to share a lane with someone who knows more than me.  I'm scared of not getting better.  I'm scared of that scared feeling I have in the water.  The sad thing is, I have a super supportive husband who loves to swim at the Y and would make it all eaiser for me.  I just can't seem to take that first step out the door...

Hi Josie - I had not been swimming in a LONG time (like 20 years!) before I started again this fall.  What made such a difference for me in terms of getting more comfortable in the water and gaining confidence was to take a few private lessons with a swim instructor at my gym who is a triathlete herself.  She gave me great feedback on how to improve my breathing and how to properly position my body in the water so I was exerting less energy; it was such a nice, relaxed environment since it was a private lesson and she was able to focus on exactly what I asked her to.  It helped tremendously to have that critique!  I wonder if there is a similar instructor at your YMCA?  I really feel like it was a great investment for me.  Good luck!

2011-01-03 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3273106

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - OPEN
GoGoGo Posted 2011-01-02 8:42 PM (#3273106 - in reply to #3273009)
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - OPEN

Re: Bike...Many people use hybrids, mountain bikes, etc for sprints.  A hybrid would be Ok for an Oly as well.  I suspect anything longer than these distances & you would be very disadvantaged.  Your thought about giving a season & find out how much you like it is sensible.  One thing you can easily & relatively cheaply modify are your tires.  My hybrid had either knobby, mountain bike tires or smooth road tires.  If yours have knobby tires, you could get road tires fairly cheaply.  The decrease in rolling resistance will give you much more speed with less effort (always good).  If you have mountain bike tires, you could ask your local bike shop about whether the tires can be switched.

Here is my hybrid with roadie tires.  Yours similar?

Hi Richard -- Yes, I have road tires on my hybrid.  Good to know a hybrid will work for a sprint!
2011-01-03 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Josie: so with you on the nerves about swimming.  But like Kristen taking swim lessons really helped. First, it got me to the pool, then it got me a bit of structure.  Finally when I had progressed as much as possible i started using this: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=755. It builds quite nicely and explains drills.  But mostly it gave me something to focus on when I went to the pool so i didn't worry about everyone else.  Oh jeez, it's hard to go when everyone seems like olympic swimmers!
2011-01-03 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3275167

User image

Veteran
juniperjen - 2011-01-03 6:24 PM Question: are you/have you recently been injured? What type of injury was it? What is/was the recovery plan

For the newer folks, it's not to scare you but injuries are pretty common. It can go from the occassional silly trip (i have some good pictures in my albums of one such thing) and fall or clipped in fall on your bike to common sports-related overuse injuries.  I think some of can share of great injury prevention and treatment advice ....

I was nursing an IT Band issue for most of December, but it seems to be getting better!  I've also been having some SERIOUS shoe issues...on my 3rd pair in 3 months...thankfully my running store is GREAT about working with me.  However, my toenails not so much...I have two falling off and one that's black!!  I'm REALLY hoping I can get the shoe/toe issue figured out!!! 
2011-01-03 7:58 PM

User image

Veteran
I see we have A LOT of people that are scared/terrified/not good in the water.  As I said earlier, I was TERRIFIED to even put my face in the water last April, now open water swimming is A BLAST!!!  I'm still a HORRIBLE swimmer and REALLY slow, but I love it!!  You'll hear about the "breakthrough"...I SWEAR it really happens.  I went from having to stop ever 50 -100 meters to rest to swimming almost 800m straight in one day...now I can swim forever it seems like.  Here's a few of the things that worked for me!!  I definitely recommend reading and re-reading Bigfuzzydougs' post a gazzilion times!!  

1. Lessons - TAKE THEM!!

2. Read this over and over:  http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=117554&start=1  If you can start implementing the things he says, it helps A LOT...I especially like the Bonus Extra on Endurance Section.  When I started telling myself to HTFU and just do it...it actually started getting easier.

3. Watch videos like this one to help you see what needs to be done:  http://www.goswim.tv/entries/5829/freestyle---shoulder-breath.html  I really like the Go Swim website...loads of videos showing how to do the different drills!

4. Practice, Practice, Practice!

5.  Don't be scared to get a nose plug AND use it!  I swear by mine now and it's actually helped my sinus problems!!

A couple of other things I was told that has helped tremendously is:

1.  Be careful not to over kick...too much kicking wears you out.

2.  I was breathing every third stroke bilaterally and running out of breath after about 50m.  I was told to try breathing every other stroke from my strong side until I get my swim endurance built up.  This morning, I started out with every third stroke and as I started getting tired I went to every other stroke.  I also changed up sides every so often so that I don't lose my bilateral breathing ability!  

Edited by crisi13 2011-01-03 8:01 PM

2011-01-03 9:20 PM
in reply to: #3274703

User image

GoGoGo - 2011-01-03 2:50 PM
Osfan4life - 2011-01-03 2:06 PM 
my run plans usually include one day off, and i sometimes skip one of the shorter runs (not intended, just seems to have happened more recently due to holidays). so anyway, it's more of a 5-6 day run plan. the 10 lb slim down is an exercise tv workout. love exercise tv b/c the website has a lot of free workout plans to correspond with what's on demand. 

gonna do this until i build up my runs to 18 minute minimum - which will take me through this month. the gameplan/resolution for this month is to transition to a.m. running, at least for the weekdays. this requires resolution #1a which is to drink enough water. i tend to drink about half of what i need or less. FI has threatened to tether a water bottle to my head.

Lindsay,

Are you running straight or walk breaks (eg 15:1, 10:1, 5:1)?

Just curious...

i am running all the way. two yrs ago i did the c25k plan which included walks and that got me good for about half of the plan, but then i was not feeling good for the jump to higher volumes of running straight. FI worked out a plan for me using the Runners' World as a model for my paces - which is probably what my problem was - and it has me between 13:30 and 14:30/min-mi. i feel kind of ridiculous running those paces and almost always go too fast, but based on my 5k time in November, that's where I'm supposed to be. and i am going slower than i was before and am able to hit my run times, which is good for the confidence
2011-01-03 9:23 PM
in reply to: #3275442

User image

crisi13 - 2011-01-03 8:58 PM Couple of other things I was told that has helped tremendously is:

1.  Be careful not to over kick...too much kicking wears you out.

2.  I was breathing every third stroke bilaterally and running out of breath after about 50m.  I was told to try breathing every other stroke from my strong side until I get my swim endurance built up.  This morning, I started out with every third stroke and as I started getting tired I went to every other stroke.  I also changed up sides every so often so that I don't lose my bilateral breathing ability!  

#2 was recommended to me and helped sooooo much during my training last year. i wasn't running out of breath but i was tired and taking a lot of breaks between laps. switching from every third to every other stroke was amazing.

2011-01-03 9:34 PM

User image

omg so this is irrelevant but it's a win i just had to share! my fluffy sidekick (dog) has lost more weight - this is a good thing!! over the summer i weighed her in at 49 lbs ... her weight at age 2 was 44 lbs, and she was definitely way done growing at that point.  sooo i decided to get better about not overfeeding her; i had started mixing wet and dry noms in the spring and i guess i wasn't so good at measuring. plus i imagine her metabolism wasn't moving so quick since i wasn't taking her running regularly.

in november she was down to 47.2 and today the wii rang her up at 46.5! woohoo. i am such a proud master.

be the person your dog thinks you are
2011-01-03 10:51 PM

User image

Memphis
hello friends!
So new to the site, so still trying to navigate the BBS. So...I've bookmarked the page, but I'm wondering if there is any way to show the newest messages first? I'm not seeing how to do that. Also, where do we add friends?

Thanks!
Mylissa
2011-01-04 4:46 AM
in reply to: #3275768

User image

Expert
Canada
mylissahorrocks - 2011-01-04 12:51 AM hello friends!
So new to the site, so still trying to navigate the BBS. So...I've bookmarked the page, but I'm wondering if there is any way to show the newest messages first? I'm not seeing how to do that. Also, where do we add friends?

Thanks!
Mylissa

At the top of the page there is a link to the "new threads".  This will show threads that have something new since your last visit.   If you click it, it will take you to the last response.  I don't know of a way to go to the last response viewed in a individual thread.

The friends area is in the "settings at the top of the page.  The next page will show "training Blog Customization".  From there push friends & add them from there.  You can also see who has you labelled as a friend.  This makes it easy to flip around & see everyones logs & find out what they are doing daily.

Good to have you aboard...

2011-01-04 4:52 AM
in reply to: #3275659

User image

Expert
Canada
Osfan4life - 2011-01-03 11:34 PM omg so this is irrelevant but it's a win i just had to share! my fluffy sidekick (dog) has lost more weight - this is a good thing!! over the summer i weighed her in at 49 lbs ... her weight at age 2 was 44 lbs, and she was definitely way done growing at that point.  sooo i decided to get better about not overfeeding her; i had started mixing wet and dry noms in the spring and i guess i wasn't so good at measuring. plus i imagine her metabolism wasn't moving so quick since i wasn't taking her running regularly.

in november she was down to 47.2 and today the wii rang her up at 46.5! woohoo. i am such a proud master.

be the person your dog thinks you are

To continue the off topic dog discussion.  I had 2 Labrador retrievers, eventually both passed on over the last couple years.  Been itching for another dog, but enjoying the freedom.  Emailed a Great Dane breeder a short while ago, but am trying to resist the urge for a little longer!!!

2011-01-04 6:57 AM
in reply to: #3275167

User image

Upstate NY
juniperjen - 2011-01-03 6:24 PM Question: are you/have you recently been injured? What type of injury was it? What is/was the recovery plan

For the newer folks, it's not to scare you but injuries are pretty common. It can go from the occassional silly trip (i have some good pictures in my albums of one such thing) and fall or clipped in fall on your bike to common sports-related overuse injuries.  I think some of can share of great injury prevention and treatment advice ....

Yep anytime I hear that someone gets hurt I always ask them what happened, how it happened, and how they are making it better.  I figure any of it could happen to me, and I want to learn from any of their mistakes.

For me it has been my hamstring.  Hurt it by doing too much running, and I just pulled it.  It feels better, but sometimes it gets really tight and I have to back off a bit, which hurts my running speed.

Have been massaging it, stretching, and some weight exercises.  I made it through all my IM training last year with no issues, but I always fear of hurting it again.  Seems to be getting better this year.

2011-01-04 8:02 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Good morning team!  I am happy to report that i did a little yoga this morning but disappointed in how quickly my low back tightens up! Seriously, i was feeling so good and then a week of no yoga and it feels like square one!

Anyway - so, are you making progress this week with your workouts - keep us updated as you complete them! Feels good!

And keep it coming with the injury discussion.
2011-01-04 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3274115

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
juniperjen - 2011-01-03 11:32 AM

So, for me:

M: Bike, Swim, optional: yoga (see Tuesday)
T:  yoga, Run,
W: Swim, bike
T: Run, swim
F: off - travel
S: long run
S: likely off

Yay, getting through it.
2011-01-04 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
And as for injuries, I myself have had one experience with an over-use injury that came during the training for my first marathon but only really got bad after.  It was ITB syndrome and it was due to weakness in my hips and glutes and some imbalance in my low back. I went to a Physiotherapist who also was a massage therapist to work through it. It took a long time and I eased back into running but running all easy pace, using a treadmill so i could stop if the pain got bad and doing lots of yoga.  But most of all, I didn't give up. By the next fall, I did my second marathon and the pain was all gone.

2011-01-04 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
I tore a tendon in my left foot while training for my half marathon.  I ran on it anyway, because it happened like 4 weeks away from the race.  The dr. I saw wasn't much help and put me in a boot for 8 weeks!!!  It was miserable and I think that is why I haven't been running as much since.  I think I overtrained.  Not sure though.  I now have orthotics for my shoes, but am ready to buy a new pair and worried about the fit of them (they are so wide!).  They don't fit in the shoes I loved!  We shall see what my running store has to say.
2011-01-04 11:17 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Can't...keep...up

lol

So this week, after a relaxing day on the couch yesterday I will be back at it. 12k a day Tuesday-Friday, 2.5 hours on Saturday and 12k on Sunday. 11 minutes of yoga a day.

Already starting in a deficit position regarding my yearly goal. oh well, sick happens right. Not down or anxious about it like I used to be, which is both good and nerve racking at the same time.

2011-01-04 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3274296

User image

Champion
Calgary
debbiereid06 - 2011-01-03 10:35 AM

I don't have a bike.  I borrowed my friends when i started training last year and then fell on Mothers day and that was the beginning of the end of my tri training.  I need to get a bike, but have no clue what to even look for and I don't have the money to have one be too expensive. 

As for my plan this week here it is...

M-off
T-2 mile
W-30 min. x-train (if hubby is home at a decent time may go spin in the gym)
R-1.5 mile
F-off
S-30 min. x-train (swim/bike at gym)
S-2.5 mile

fwiw, I would get the cheapest used 10 speed that you can get, people practically give away very usable bikes. First one I got cost me 100 bucks and 40 bucks for tires and went for 2500 km before someone stole it out of my garage.

Thing with a fit is, I think, that if you go before having much biking experience your fit will change. So if you can wait before getting a pretty bike and get by on a clunker then try.
2011-01-04 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3275861

User image

Memphis
thank you, that really helps!
2011-01-04 3:40 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
12k run done, nice. Thanks for the accountability group, kept me from stopping at 11k.

2011-01-04 3:43 PM

User image

Pro
Houston

Got my swim in today but the bike is going to have to wait until I can get a new fit.  My tuhkus is still unhappy. Yell

Question of the day - Does anybody else have a blog?  If you log your workouts do you log them anywhere other than BT?  Anybody interested in keeping up with each other on FB?

My blog is in my siggy, right now I am only logging on BT but my coach is getting his website ready for his clients to log there as well.  I am on FB Laughing

2011-01-04 4:37 PM

User image

New user

So I went swimming today!  It wasn't as bad as I remember it being.  I went 500m, in 50m increments, alternating crawl and kickboard.  I'm allowing myself to just learn to breath before I stress about form and speed.  I think I stressed about too many things the last time I tried this, and didn't get myself comfortable with swimming, first.  I really appreciate everyone's advice.  I am totally going to look into taking a few lessons.  I thought my husband could be the one to teach me, but I realized he was very focused on my form and things that I wasn't ready to tackle, yet.  I didn't realize my anxiety was coming from my breathlessness.  But the slower I swam today, the better I felt. 

Thank you all again for all your support.  It helps so much to hear how freaked out people used to be.
2011-01-04 4:38 PM

User image

New user

I chose the fish avatar to trick myself into thinking I love swimming.  And I'm a Pisces...Wink
2011-01-04 4:47 PM

User image

New user

Do you ladies have any advice on how to buy a swimsuit?  I just need one for training.  My husband has alot of advice on everything from shoes to aerobars, but can't help me shop for a swimsuit.  I'd prefer to get one online, since dragging three small kiddos to a store to try stuff on is laughable.  Is that silly to order a suit online without trying it on first?  Brand, fit, price?  Anything you can tell me would be welcome.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 35