Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2013-03-07 5:30 AM
in reply to: #4643301

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: 'The' Gun Thread

A new study from Childrens' Hospital in Boston finds that the rate of deaths from firearms is lower in states with a greater number of gun laws on the books. I've seen this pop up on my FB feed from groups such as the Brady campaign and other folks, using this to argue for an increase in legislation. I don't think that anti-gun people such as myself can necessarily make that jump from this specific study. The study says that number of gun laws and number of gun deaths are correlated. It doesn't draw a causal relationship.

That said, I do think this study provides some ammunition, play on words intended, for those who argue against the NRA's very effective political strategy of opposing any and all efforts to conduct research into gun safety and legislation. I think that some objective party ought to try and find out the real reason for this correlation, which then might provide a non-emotional basis for further action.

2013-03-07 5:44 AM
in reply to: #4649657

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
tealeaf - 2013-03-07 5:30 AM

A new study from Childrens' Hospital in Boston finds that the rate of deaths from firearms is lower in states with a greater number of gun laws on the books. I've seen this pop up on my FB feed from groups such as the Brady campaign and other folks, using this to argue for an increase in legislation. I don't think that anti-gun people such as myself can necessarily make that jump from this specific study. The study says that number of gun laws and number of gun deaths are correlated. It doesn't draw a causal relationship.

That said, I do think this study provides some ammunition, play on words intended, for those who argue against the NRA's very effective political strategy of opposing any and all efforts to conduct research into gun safety and legislation. I think that some objective party ought to try and find out the real reason for this correlation, which then might provide a non-emotional basis for further action.

I think you hit on the key point about causal relationship.  Gun laws have been going up everywhere (some places more than others) but also gun ownership has been going up everywhere.

For me, I think it's more telling that with a massive increase in gun ownership over the past 20 years that homicides have gone down significantly.

2013-03-07 5:46 AM
in reply to: #4649657

User image

tealeaf - 2013-03-07 6:30 AM

There already is one. It's simple, really.

Get 2/3 of Congress to agree that firearms need restricted.
After that's passed, get 3/4 of the states to agree.
Then you can pass whatever restrictions you see fit.

Until then, firearms are constitutionally protected. Perhaps we need to pay closer attention when things like the 4th amendment are infringed upon (Patriot Act) and not allow that to happen again to any amendment as well as push back to overturn the other infringements.

See? Simple. Until then, no. None. I will now send another donation to the NRA-ILA on your behalf as they seem to be doing a hell of a good job defending the 2d amendment. I only wish they were not as willing to "compromise" as they seem to be.

2013-03-07 6:08 AM

User image

Here's one more thing that I'm finding rather interesting considering the "modern" arguments against certain types of weapons. Specifically AR-15s and AK-47s. Tell you what, let's stay with the semi-auto versions for the purpose of this post:

U.S. Vs. Miller, 1939. The primary line in the whole SCOTUS finding:
In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment, or that its use could contribute to the common defense. Aymette v. State, 2 Humphreys (Tenn.) 154, 158.

Leaving alone the obvious "oops" the SCOTUS did with that in ignoring WWI with trench warfare and short barreled shotguns being a primary weapon, what about an AR? "this weapon is in any part of the ordinary military equipment" You think an AR would pass that test? Does any military issue a similar weapon as an ordinary issue? (these are rhetorical, only someone dead set on banning and confiscating them would see it any different)

Moving forward to DC Vs Heller with this bit:
Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons.

Now here's what I find knee slappingly funny. AR-15s were not all that popular in the early '90s. Only a couple companies made them and they were not all that great a seller. That all changed in 1993. You couldn't find them on the shelves and the companies that made them could not make enough to supply the demand. 2008 even more went and they were scarce again. 2012-2013 and you cannot find one on the shelves for close to 6 months. They're made by just about every gun maker out there. Hell, Smith and Wesson, who primarily makes handguns, started making them and no gun maker has less than about a 3 year waiting list.

So, BECAUSE of the people who want to ban firearms, the AR-15 is one of the most popular, if not THE most popular, platform in existence now. It went from being an occasional use firearm to just about every lane in every firing range today, all because of the push to ban them. Back to the Heller decision, what type of firearm is exactly what is protected by the 2d amendment? "those in common use at the time" So, what is the one platform that is the most in common use at this time? The AR-15. Thank you gun banners.

In the early '90s we were still in the throws of the wondernine wars. Who could stuff the butt of a pistol with the most rounds for cops to hang off their belts? Citizens tended to follow what the cops carried and the citizens were (and are) about 80-90% of the gun sales. BECAUSE of the AWB, coupled with states figuring out that people carrying firearms did not raise any violent crime rates and may very well make them drop, the gun manufacturers started making smaller and more powerful concealable firearms. Brady is the reason for all the micro 9mm, .40S&W, and even all the .32ACP pocket pistols out there today.

The same set of circumstances that allowed the civilian market to benefit from smaller and more concealable firearms in the early '90s has now made the AR-15 specifically constitutionally protected, per Heller. Interesting, yes?

2013-03-07 6:32 AM
in reply to: #4649663

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
tuwood - 2013-03-07 6:44 AM 

I think you hit on the key point about causal relationship.  Gun laws have been going up everywhere (some places more than others) but also gun ownership has been going up everywhere.

For me, I think it's more telling that with a massive increase in gun ownership over the past 20 years that homicides have gone down significantly.

Intelligent, reasoned answer.

DanielG - 2013-03-07 6:46 AM I will now send another donation to the NRA-ILA on your behalf as they seem to be doing a hell of a good job defending the 2d amendment. I only wish they were not as willing to "compromise" as they seem to be.

Answer which seems angry and causes many gun owners, right or wrong, to be painted with the broad brush of "gun nuts."

2013-03-07 6:34 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

It might be, and for others, other factors might be more telling. All I'm saying is that I don't think suppressing research efforts is a good way to go about solving the problem. I don't know what the truth is, but I do believe that more objective research is needed.

2013-03-07 6:35 AM
in reply to: #4649697

User image

tealeaf - 2013-03-07 7:32 AM

Intelligent, reasoned answer.

DanielG - 2013-03-07 6:46 AM I will now send another donation to the NRA-ILA on your behalf as they seem to be doing a hell of a good job defending the 2d amendment. I only wish they were not as willing to "compromise" as they seem to be.

Answer which seems angry and causes many gun owners, right or wrong, to be painted with the broad brush of "gun nuts."

Not angry at all, no angry wording, no personal attacks, nothing. I believe in the whole Bill of Rights. I would think that you would do the same. We need to dismantle a whole bunch of laws that have abridged those rights rather than trying creative ways to abridge more. It's a shame more don't understand that.

2013-03-07 7:00 AM
in reply to: #4649703

On a sorts related topic, I jsut finished what I do every morning, chcek ammo prices.  Anyone know who has 5000 round lots of 22lr in stock?
2013-03-07 7:09 AM
in reply to: #4649735

User image

Puppetmaster - 2013-03-07 8:00 AM

On a sorts related topic, I jsut finished what I do every morning, chcek ammo prices.  Anyone know who has 5000 round lots of 22lr in stock?

I've used a "Bucket o' bullets" (plastic tub of 500 .22LR) as a doorstop in every house I've lived in for about ... 30(?) years. Pretty close to that in any case. Price tag says $3.95. I'm not sure I can get 'em for that any more.

Here. Try this:

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/22lr/
2013-03-07 7:59 AM
in reply to: #4649032

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
kevin_trapp - 2013-03-06 4:00 PM

flip18436572 - 2013-03-06 10:33 AM I think you are correct with the no new federal gun laws for Kentucky.  I read that Missouri already has some state lawmakers wanting to take guns.  I can't believe that will pass in Missouri, but who really knows anymore.

The Missouri law has been blown so far out of proportion that it’s ridiculous.  Not the law itself, as written it would absolutely take people’s guns away.  But to hear the pundits like Glenn Beck describe it, the Missouri Democrats are on the cusp of actually making this happen.  Not only will this bill never become law, it won’t even make it out of committee.  This legislation is nothing more than 4 idiots in the St. Louis (i.e. Democrat) area putting their names on a piece of paper for some shameless political pandering.  Other than the 3 co-sponsors, the Missouri Democrats don’t support the bill, and even if they did they only own a 1/3 of the House seats.

And their stupid bill was in turn met with equally shameless pandering from a Republican representative who introduced legislation that would make it a felony to introduce gun control legislation.  Punishable by up to 4 years in prison.  The Missouri congress has become a complete joke.  Both sides are doing nothing with these ridiculous bills other than getting their names in the paper.  It’s good for the political talk shows, but it’s a complete waste of taxpayer money.

Missouri is actually very pro-gun.  What did just make it out of committee is a measure to criminalize the enforcement of any new executive orders from Obama regarding gun control, and another measure to make Missouri guns exempt from all federal regulation as long as they stay within the state.  Also, we’re fixing to amend our state constitution to state that the right to bear arms is an inalienable right.  So basically, we're doing all we can to tell the feds to p1ss off.

People need to take a deep breath.  “They” are not trying to take away your guns.  “He” or “she” or Tony might want to take your guns away, but the government as a whole won’t and can’t.  We should be focusing our attention on the laws that will take certain weapons off the market.  Those have a legitimate chance of passing.  Or laws that would limit how much you can buy, or mandate that you have to pay for some type of liability insurance, or create a national gun registry (although I personally don’t have a problem with that one).  But don’t lose any sleep on any proposed legislation that would take away a weapon that is already owned.  It’s never gonna happen.  Even Feinstein’s bill grandfathers in ownership of all of the weapons she’s trying to get banned. 

If I’m wrong and some rogue blue state manages to pass a law that forces gun owners to surrender their previously legally owned weapons, and that law somehow manages to be held up in the courts and enacted, feel free to call me out and I’ll publicly eat all the crow you can serve.  

I disagree with your premise entirely.  You opine that it isn't "they" that are trying to take guns away, it is "he" or "she".  When the "he" or "she" are in a position of power, and specifically an elected official and that person uses their elected position to take the extraordinary step of introducing legislation which, if passed, would in fact result in the confiscation of legally owned firearms, then the "he" or "she" is more than the opinion of some pundit on T.V.

I may agree with you if the Mo. legislation was viewed in a vacuum, however this piece of legislation isn't the only one out their.  First, the D.C. legislation that actually went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court and was the subject of the Heller decision, made it, for all intents and purposes, illegal to posses a handgun in persons own home.  Second, the Mo, legislation isn't the only "proposed" legislation by individual "he's" and "she's" in legislative bodies.  Minn, Fla, NY., Ill., Ca., and Colorado all have such legislation that would require surrender of previously legally owned firearms and make it a crime to continue to posses those firearms.  And it looks very much like the Colorado bundle of firearms laws will pass.

Third, the Feinstein Assault Weapons Ban, while containing a grandfather clause for banned weapons that are legally owned at the time of the passage of the Act, specifically prohibits their future transfer or sale in almost all circumstances, thus within a generation "confiscating" those firearms and magazines.  The grandfathered in owner must register the firearm federally and then cannot sell, or transfer the firearm at anytime.  Upon the death of the legal owner the firearm must be surrendered or made inoperable.

So the fact is that elected officials, both on an individual State and on the Federal level have an anti-gun ideology, and are attempting to use their political position in an attempt to pass legislation to realize that personal ideology.  This is done, too often, with either ignorance of the Constitution, or outright disregard for the Constitution.

I don't agree with the notion that because the legislation doesn't have a chance of passing, it means that therefore isn't an attempt to strip people of their right to personally posses firearms.  To the contrary, the proof is in the legislation.  Additionally, when the Colorado bills were initially introduced, the discussion, at least nationwide, was that because of the State's hunting and outdoor enthusiast background, they didn't stand much of a chance of passage....well....different result.

It should make citizens horrified that legislatures, elected officials, would have total disregard for the Constitution.  if the 2nd Amendment today, what right tomorrow?

On your point about liability insurance, I totally disagree with you on that.  There is no other Constitutionally guaranteed right, in which you have to have insurance prior to being able to exercise that right.

2013-03-07 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4649735

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Puppetmaster - 2On a sorts related topic, I jsut finished what I do every morning, chcek ammo prices.  Anyone know who has 5000 round lots of 22lr in stock?

You probably know already, but Midway has CCI Blazer on backorder due 6/29. The 500s are due 5/9.

2013-03-07 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4645826

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Left Brain - Eh...as for .22 blanks or 209 primers....I don't think there is enough difference to worry about...use what is easiest to keep replenished would be my advice. 

I'm going to go with the .22 blanks. I'd prefer the 209 primer version, but with the run on ammo I can't find any primers of any kind available anywhere.  That's amazing.  Who knows how long this will go on.  I don't blame anyone though for stocking up on reloading supplies.

The .22 blanks seem readily available.

2013-03-07 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
Central Mass

Correlation doesn't imply causation.

Homicide rates directly track teen birth/pregnancy rates too.  So you are saying increased gun ownership lowers teen birth rates too? 

2013-03-07 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4649700

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
tealeaf - 2013-03-07 6:34 AM

It might be, and for others, other factors might be more telling. All I'm saying is that I don't think suppressing research efforts is a good way to go about solving the problem. I don't know what the truth is, but I do believe that more objective research is needed.

I certainly get where you're coming from and with most thing's conducting studies for appropriate restrictions makes perfect sense.  If we're studying the impact of speed limits on the highway, or drinking and driving, it's one thing.  Those are valid dangers to society that we determine acceptable levels based on risk (65 on the highway .08 BAC driving etc...).  People will still die while driving at 65 and with a .08 BAC.  However, neither of them are constitutionally protected things.

Now a more proper comparison would be with free speech, which is a constitutionally protected right.  People get sued for slander and libel all the time because of their abuse of the free speech, but nobody wants to ban them from speaking because it's their constitutionally protected right.  We just put consequences in place for the abuse of that right, which is perfectly legal.

Obviously with firearms the consequences of people misusing their right are potentially far graver, but it is still a constitutionally protected right that garners the same treatment.  It is perfectly acceptable to put laws in place to punish people who misuse their 2A right, and there's no question there are a lot of those laws on the books.

2013-03-07 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4649868

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
scorpio516 - 2013-03-07 8:34 AM

Homicide rates directly track teen birth/pregnancy rates too.  So you are saying increased gun ownership lowers teen birth rates too? 

Well, there are more fathers cleaning there guns when their daughters boyfriends come over.  So there could be...

All kidding aside.  I do agree, that the causation of adding more guns into society doesn't necessarily mean that adding guns into society has decreased homicide rates, but I will counter that it makes it a lot more difficult to say the opposite.  Most of the anti-gun politicians claim that having more guns in society is a bad thing and leads to more crime, but the statistics (causation or not) don't seem to support that argument.

2013-03-07 9:02 AM

User image

Regular
scorpio516 - 2013-03-07 9:34 AM

Well speaking as a father of three daughters...it's a distinct possibilityInnocent

2013-03-07 10:23 AM

User image

Pro
scorpio516 - 2013-03-07 8:34 AM

Homicide rates directly track teen birth/pregnancy rates too.  So you are saying increased gun ownership lowers teen birth rates too? 

Hey, where did you find that......I'd like to see the data.  I can have some fun with it.

On your other point.....you may be right that "correlation doesn't imply causation" but you sure as hell can't argue that more guns has caused MORE homicides. Laughing

Edited by Left Brain 2013-03-07 10:26 AM
2013-03-07 10:51 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

in JAMA today - more gun laws = fewer gun deaths. the states with the most laws had 42% fewer deaths.

they took into account poverty etc

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1661390

2013-03-07 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4650171

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
TriToy - 2013-03-07 10:51 AM

in JAMA today - more gun laws = fewer gun deaths. the states with the most laws had 42% fewer deaths.

The real question is not about the number of firearm laws but whether the laws ultimately safeguard the citizens they are intended to protect. Although multiple studies have examined the relationship between federal and state firearm laws and homicide and suicide rates, the overall association between firearm legislation and firearm mortality is uncertain and remains controversial

That's a direct quote from the study.....

2013-03-07 11:05 AM
in reply to: #4650183

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
bradleyd3 - 2013-03-07 10:56 AM

The real question is not about the number of firearm laws but whether the laws ultimately safeguard the citizens they are intended to protect. Although multiple studies have examined the relationship between federal and state firearm laws and homicide and suicide rates, the overall association between firearm legislation and firearm mortality is uncertain and remains controversial That's a direct quote from the study.....

There's that dang causation thing again. 

2013-03-07 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4650183

User image

bradleyd3 - 2013-03-07 11:56 AM

The real question is not about the number of firearm laws but whether the laws ultimately safeguard the citizens they are intended to protect. Although multiple studies have examined the relationship between federal and state firearm laws and homicide and suicide rates, the overall association between firearm legislation and firearm mortality is uncertain and remains controversial

That's a direct quote from the study.....

That's pretty much what all the studies in the '80s and '90s came to the conclusion of as well. "We cannot say with any certainty either way" but then the whole study is misattributed by one side or another as this one is being.

2013-03-07 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
North Cackalacky

www.gun-deals.com has pretty up to date deals and pricing for ammunition both on-line and in some stores. 

They do currently have a really good deal on Winchester .45 ACP Ranger LE JHP (both the regular and +P versions).  Really good for the current market, anyhow.

2013-03-07 2:02 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I think both sides of the argument try to make the corellation=causation argument when it comes to guns and crime. Pro-gun people point to the town in GA where ownership is compulsory and the overall drop in crime nationwide along with the nationwide increase in gun posession, while the anti-gun side points to places like NYC that has the less violent crime than, say, Houston, Miami, or Phoenix despite the fact that those cities have more relaxed gun laws.

In the end, I think it's pretty obvious that crime statistics are a vastly complex thing that is driven by hundreds of factors-- regional, socioeconomic, geographic, even meteorological, and it defies being tied statistically to any one factor, whether it's gun ownership, poverty, etc.
2013-03-07 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4650588

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-03-07 2:02 PM I think know both sides of the argument try to make the corellation=causation argument when it comes to guns and crime. Pro-gun people point to the town in GA where ownership is compulsory and the overall drop in crime nationwide along with the nationwide increase in gun posession, while the anti-gun side points to places like NYC that has the less violent crime than, say, Houston, Miami, or Phoenix despite the fact that those cities have more relaxed gun laws. In the end, I think it's pretty obvious that crime statistics are a vastly complex thing that is driven by hundreds of factors-- regional, socioeconomic, geographic, even meteorological, and it defies being tied statistically to any one factor, whether it's gun ownership, poverty, etc.

fixed that for ya

2013-03-07 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4650588

User image

Pro

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-03-07 2:02 PM I think both sides of the argument try to make the corellation=causation argument when it comes to guns and crime. Pro-gun people point to the town in GA where ownership is compulsory and the overall drop in crime nationwide along with the nationwide increase in gun posession, while the anti-gun side points to places like NYC that has the less violent crime than, say, Houston, Miami, or Phoenix despite the fact that those cities have more relaxed gun laws. In the end, I think it's pretty obvious that crime statistics are a vastly complex thing that is driven by hundreds of factors-- regional, socioeconomic, geographic, even meteorological, and it defies being tied statistically to any one factor, whether it's gun ownership, poverty, etc.

But still.....we can be pretty certain that more guns....ALOT more guns...hasn't caused violent crime to rise.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  

of 48