General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2013-09-29 11:43 AM
in reply to: citaltfort

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Well, no IM is a walk in the park, but IMLT was the first IM that I ended up walking much of the run due to the 12% grade hills trashing certain muscles in my knees/calves and cold. I stopped shivering on the bike at mile 40 and my feet regained feeling at mile 70. There were like 1000 people who DNFd. I do hope to go faster at CDA than IMLT for sure though. And that is its own challenge.

2013-09-30 3:05 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Veteran
Hey guys so I just decided to pull the trigger on IM #3. I just finished IM Lake Tahoe which was absolutely brutal. Didn't do as well I as I had hoped but based on course and conditions I was happy just to finish. I did IM Texas in 2012 and hope to make CDA the best one yet. Look forward to getting to know all of you over the next couple of months. Happy training everyone
2013-10-02 2:36 PM
in reply to: Galas2

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Grats on finishing IMLT, I was there, it sucked, my hat is off to anyone who finished that course. They sent me a survey asking if I would recommend IMLT to any of my friends. My answer was not if I want them to remain my friends. Aside from the course and conditions the organization was certainly the worst of any IM experience I have been in or heard of. I am not sure that T1 tents would have been big enough even if they doubled the size of the tent, probably 3-4x the size would have been needed and yes lights in the tent are a good idea, then you can see your gear.
2013-10-02 5:11 PM
in reply to: dewybuck

User image

First post on BT Scoping this out as possibly the first Ironman. Well, it's CDA or IMLT. I know IMLT was brutal this year but it's within driving distance....touch decision as they both appear to be awesome courses.
2013-10-02 7:50 PM
in reply to: bhasin

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
If you were not a competitive cyclist in a past life I really wouldn't do IMLT as a first IM. It will add 2-4 hours to your IM completion time and for a first that might be cutting it close. If you are a really strong cyclist where you do 10-12% grades without difficulty then you can probably be fine for IMLT. However, bring lots of winter riding gear, wet on the bike in 30F temps was cold. If I had it again I would have brought windproof pants and put a windproof cover on my helmet, maybe a heavier jacket on the bike and definitely heavier gloves. Something like 1000 people didn't complete IMLT wihin the timelimit (some of those might have been DNS but a lot didn't finish at least 25% and maybe as much as 35%). But everyone makes their own decisions. I will see you at one or the other 8).
2013-10-03 6:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by bhasin

First post on BT Scoping this out as possibly the first Ironman. Well, it's CDA or IMLT. I know IMLT was brutal this year but it's within driving distance....touch decision as they both appear to be awesome courses.

Welcome to BT. No matter which race you choose you will have a great time. IMLT was brutal this year but it was also beautiful and a really fun race(minus the freezing conditions). It took me about an hour and a half longer to finish IMLT compared to my IM Texas time the year prior. I felt like I was in way better shape for LT but set unrealistic goals for myself based on the course. Good luck with whichever race you decide on. If you decide on LT my advice would be to ride nothing but hills until you can't ride anymore and then do it all again at least 5 more times. Good luck You will do great

2013-10-03 11:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by bhasin

Welcome! My two cents on which to choose is to go with CdA. That's just from the perspective of making your first IM as enjoyable of an experience as possible. CdA puts on a terrific race that is a good challenge, but isn't super hard. It was my first IM and a ton of fun. The next year I did the very hard IM St. George. I loved the town of St. George and the race, but if it had been my first IM, I don't think I would have handled it as well and I'm not sure when I would have done another IM.
2013-10-03 11:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by Galas2

Hey guys so I just decided to pull the trigger on IM #3. I just finished IM Lake Tahoe which was absolutely brutal. Didn't do as well I as I had hoped but based on course and conditions I was happy just to finish. I did IM Texas in 2012 and hope to make CDA the best one yet. Look forward to getting to know all of you over the next couple of months. Happy training everyone

Congratulations on finishing LT! Well earned respect. Enjoy your recovery!
2013-10-04 2:57 PM
in reply to: citaltfort

User image

Thanks for the insights, Brad! Looking forward to making a decision fairly soon - and if it's CdA, I'll be coming for a ton of guidance.
2013-10-04 2:59 PM

User image

Galas2, cool! Yes, that's one good thing about living in northern california is that there's no shortage of hills around here to practice on - thanks for the tip. I do realize there's a ton of climbing there but the proximity makes it a very appealing race.

Perhaps all of this is jaded with the recent IM 70.3 experience in Cozumel - the race was great, but it's a trek!
2013-10-04 3:01 PM

User image

I hear you - you're right, saw the analysis of IMLT and there were a ton of DNF on the bike and a good amount of DNS as well. Respect to everyone that crossed the finish line. Appreciate the guidance.

2013-10-06 1:03 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
How much time are my fellow IMLT ers taking off before starting anything resembling training again? I started walking a couple miles every day after the IM and just needed to drop back and heal more. Too many nagging muscles, want to get good and healthy before rebuilding again.
2013-10-06 8:43 AM

User image

Regular
Just finished 70.3 Augusta last week (4:56) and was very happy w results, pacing, planning, etc. It has me really looking forward to CDA. Took past week off basically to recover. Tomorrow starts Marathon training for me as I will run JAX marathon at the end of December. I will put forth most of my training towards running but will be sneaking in some bike and swims as it tends to keep me injury free. Then onto IM training. But first, trying to settle on CDA lodging.

Tom
2013-10-07 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
I did a sprint this past weekend in San Diego which is always a fun race for me but other than that I have been taking it really easy and started lifting weights again. I really want to focus on my run for the next couple of months before jumping back into the IM training program. I want to have a strong run base before starting to train specifically for CDA. Looking forward to taking it easy for awhile to let the body fully recover.
2013-10-07 12:37 PM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by tallytom

Just finished 70.3 Augusta last week (4:56) and was very happy w results, pacing, planning, etc. It has me really looking forward to CDA. Took past week off basically to recover. Tomorrow starts Marathon training for me as I will run JAX marathon at the end of December. I will put forth most of my training towards running but will be sneaking in some bike and swims as it tends to keep me injury free. Then onto IM training. But first, trying to settle on CDA lodging.

Tom

Wow! You smoked it Tom! Nice! :-)
2013-10-07 5:35 PM
in reply to: soretaint

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Alright, so I'm in for CDA! This will be my second full. Just had a baby 1 week ago so I might as well make life even tougher. All about the balance for me. Strong training without taking too much away from the family and a nice race day is the goal!

It's been a while for me as I was down with an injury foe over a year. Just did Malibu Nautica Olympic and it seemed very hard with only a few months training....! long way to go but with the help from my Mentor group, Baowolf and back and forths on this thread w should be good to go!

2013-10-07 5:49 PM
in reply to: Mitchparadise

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Mitchparadise

Alright, so I'm in for CDA! This will be my second full. Just had a baby 1 week ago so I might as well make life even tougher. All about the balance for me. Strong training without taking too much away from the family and a nice race day is the goal!

It's been a while for me as I was down with an injury foe over a year. Just did Malibu Nautica Olympic and it seemed very hard with only a few months training....! long way to go but with the help from my Mentor group, Baowolf and back and forths on this thread w should be good to go!

Congrats on the baby
2013-10-07 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Congrats on the baby

Thank you. She's amazing!
2013-10-08 1:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by Mitchparadise

Congratulations on the baby! Wow, you must have a very understanding spouse to be ok with you signing up for an IM right now.
2013-10-08 10:31 AM

User image

Congrats - that's awesome that you're "back in to it" so quick!
2013-10-08 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Thank you all! the baby is awesome, and so is my wife... although she is not particularly pleased with my decision. It's all about not taking away too much family time this training. Trying to keep the wife happy...

2013-10-08 11:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
I just ordered an IMCDA bike course video from a new company at www.Tricoursehd.com Once I get it, I'll do a review for everyone. That way you'll know if it's worth the 19.95 + tax & shipping.........
You can go to their website and watch an overview of the course video if you want... and NO, I'm not on their payroll, I just thought it would be good for the winter time trainer rides.
2013-10-09 11:29 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Thanks for the headsup, I look forward to your review. It is actually fun to ride the course while on the trainer. Unfortunately they didn't have a video that I found for IMLT with the closed section for this year.
2013-10-09 11:41 AM

User image

That's cool - thanks, look forward to it.
2013-10-09 5:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

Thanks for the tip.  I just ordered a copy for myself. 

Its nice to see that the grade meter on the demo video never goes over 6%.

Edited by ultramike 2013-10-09 5:41 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by mallen4574
Views: 139172 Posts: 1392

2012-07-13 1:04 PM thedallasceliac

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 384013 Posts: 4272

2011-12-05 11:46 AM RunRene

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by T in Liberty Lake
Views: 135218 Posts: 1313

2012-07-26 8:19 PM smithe68

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Started by Lance 140.6
Views: 3681 Posts: 10

2010-04-08 10:16 PM hoopmaj

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61737 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.
date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.

date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.

date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.