BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2014-01-11 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4915239

User image

Cleveland OH
Subject: RE: Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN
Feel asleep last night putting my ds to sleep around 8:30, so no workout for me last night I needed the sleep though. Ds up at 5:45, ran 10 miles in 1:19:00. Might jump on trainer tonight. Bunch guys are pre running the half marathon I am pacing tomorrow morning. Don't know if i want to run that much though.

2014-01-11 12:28 PM
in reply to: smithat05

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Todd, sleep sounds good! it's part of training too! 

This morning I did Supperworks - I did a TON of meals. I have 26 now all set and ready to go.  I like Supperworks because I know what's in it - it's mostly fresh, whole ingredients (not quite everything, but not enough of the processed stuff to worry me much) and I like that I get to prepare it because i do like to cook.  They really get me though - i booked another session for the end of February because the best discounts are if you re-book at your appointment.  

I hope to get on my trainer for about 45 mins today.  But having been out most of the morning it's now DH's turn to do what he needs to do. He's building us a bed and it's almost done. Plus, we just got a whack load of rain and warm temperatures which has left our driveway all slush and ice so i am sure he's going to want to spend some time taking care of that.  Though, we have a shared drive with our neighbour and he's actually out there doing some of it (for the first time really this winter) so we may not have as much to do as usual. 

2014-01-12 3:02 PM
in reply to: smithat05

User image

Expert
We are slowly but surely making some progress with naps. we ended up trying to go for a hike yesterday, but the trail was all slush and impossible to push a stroller through, so J and I ended up walking on the city streets while DH took Coop (the crazy golden retreiver) through the trail. we are trying to make a tradition of family hikes on Saturdays. This afternoon, J really truly was sitting for the first time, so next week we will try out the back carrier and see how that goes.

Today I ran outside (beautiful weather here for January, 2C and sunny). Ran 6 km, which is the furthest I have run since March of last year. I'll take it. Felt strong the whole time and like I could have gone further when I was done.

J had canteloupe for the first time yesterday. he loved it. We had tried him on rice cereal over christmas, but he wasn't ready for it (was pushing it out of his mouth). I think that he is ready for it now though.
2014-01-12 6:24 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Originally posted by juniperjen

Todd, sleep sounds good! it's part of training too! 

This morning I did Supperworks - I did a TON of meals. I have 26 now all set and ready to go.  I like Supperworks because I know what's in it - it's mostly fresh, whole ingredients (not quite everything, but not enough of the processed stuff to worry me much) and I like that I get to prepare it because i do like to cook.  They really get me though - i booked another session for the end of February because the best discounts are if you re-book at your appointment.  

I hope to get on my trainer for about 45 mins today.  But having been out most of the morning it's now DH's turn to do what he needs to do. He's building us a bed and it's almost done. Plus, we just got a whack load of rain and warm temperatures which has left our driveway all slush and ice so i am sure he's going to want to spend some time taking care of that.  Though, we have a shared drive with our neighbour and he's actually out there doing some of it (for the first time really this winter) so we may not have as much to do as usual. 

I wish we had supperworks here! I always intend to do meal plans/prep for the week but it never works out.....
2014-01-12 6:27 PM
in reply to: #4929150

User image

What's supperworks? We do a ton of pre cooking. Makes weeknight meals so much easier.
2014-01-12 6:28 PM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
This weekend really got away on me....pressures of getting my paper almost done as it's due next weekend and weekends are the best time for me to work on it..this teacher is a hard marker so I needed to get it done this weekend with next weekend to work on properly referencing and tweaking it...but we had a couple of comittments come up this weekend that ate into anytime I would have spared for a workout....hope to get in a few this week, i'm not missing family long run tomorrow!!! Feb 3 i'm officially done school and will be so great!! but not too late to start training thankfully.

2014-01-13 11:53 AM
in reply to: sethjk

User image

got in about 35 minutes on the trainer this morning. Thought I had fixed my saddle but it still seems to be tilting up. I'm wondering if maybe I'm sitting too far back. I'm going to try and tighten it more tonight. Afterwards, I realized that one of the sensors must have shifted because my garmin didn't receive any speed or distance data- just cadence and HR which is annoying.

Tomorrow the plan is to run for the first time in almost 2 weeks. I fell down some stairs on new Years Eve (completely sober) and sprained my big toe- it was really bad and could barely walk for a few days. The pain seems to be completely gone now so I'll give tomorrow a try.
2014-01-13 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sethjk

got in about 35 minutes on the trainer this morning. Thought I had fixed my saddle but it still seems to be tilting up. I'm wondering if maybe I'm sitting too far back. I'm going to try and tighten it more tonight. Afterwards, I realized that one of the sensors must have shifted because my garmin didn't receive any speed or distance data- just cadence and HR which is annoying.

Tomorrow the plan is to run for the first time in almost 2 weeks. I fell down some stairs on new Years Eve (completely sober) and sprained my big toe- it was really bad and could barely walk for a few days. The pain seems to be completely gone now so I'll give tomorrow a try.

I never record the distance on the trainer, I don't find it terribly accurate.

Tonight I'll go swimming after J is in bed. he seems to be falling asleep around 7:30.
2014-01-14 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by sethjk What's supperworks? We do a ton of pre cooking. Makes weeknight meals so much easier.

Disclaimer: i do not work for them! But supperworks is great. It's a company where you go to their 'store' or 'open kitchen' and you pick from their monthly list of meals and make them (I split them so it serves 2-3 people) there - they've done the chopping and have everything for that meal at the station. So you can adjust seasonings and everything. Then you put it all into ziplocs and attach the cooking instructions and everything goes in the freezer.  You do still have some cooking to do depending on the meal but all of the prep and chopping is done.  

This week I had out beef stew that went in the slow cooker and these bean burritos that I pulled out for lunch. Tonight is pork tenderloin with whiskey sauce.

Batch cooking is great - however, still all the chopping and grocery shopping has to be done - same with all the dishes afterward.  

I had thought it was a great idea and I bought a groupon for it before the baby was born so we stocked our freezer.  I've now done it every couple of months since.  I don't always love the menus so i might not go then. But it really takes the guess work out of dinner (I just plan for a few days in advance to thaw things out) and i am sure we are eating out WAY less because of it. 

2014-01-14 10:48 AM

User image

4.1 mile run this morning- first run of the new year. Toe felt pretty good and I have no lingering soreness afterwards. My pace was definitely slower than normal, but I'm focusing on keeping my HR in zones 3-4. In addition to my tri training, I'm really working on base building and running a half marathon in April. As it turns out, I may bookend the year with half marathons but the November one won't be decided upon until much later.

Also- I've recently discovered Chia seeds. I sprinkle a tablespoon into my yogurt or oatmeal. Do others use them? How do you incorporate them? I definitely believe they keep me full longer as I haven't had to rely on my morning snacks as much this week.
2014-01-14 11:44 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary

Also- I've recently discovered Chia seeds. I sprinkle a tablespoon into my yogurt or oatmeal. Do others use them? How do you incorporate them? I definitely believe they keep me full longer as I haven't had to rely on my morning snacks as much this week.

Never tried them myself. They are kind of an ultra runner thing, or were an ultra runner thing. Probably too main stream now for them. Guys (because most women are too reasonable to do such crazy things) used to put them in a water bottle with water. I guess the ballooned up or something and you would just suck them down. Always sounded like too much work for me.

2014-01-14 7:10 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
such a tragic event happened yesterday- A fellow runner from Richmond, VA was out running and a drunk driver ran off the road and killed her...she was a wife, a mother, boston marathoner.....In remeberance of her and to support and raise awareness for runners & cyclists there is a facebook event requesting people to run a mile for Meg on Saturday..... here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/events/489458451159627/ lets all show our support and run for Meg on Saturday. I know my family and I will be....this hits so close to home.
2014-01-15 8:15 AM
in reply to: rydergal

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
That's really sad about the runner. Drink drivers have a huge amount to answer for. I probably won't be able to run the mile, but I'll try to walk one...

My training really isn't going well at the moment. I'm either exhausted or feeling like I'll throw up most of the time. And now I'm ill for the 2nd time since Christmas. There's no point killing myself, but it's getting a bit demoralising, especially as I bought a new turbo trainer which arrived on Monday (my husband and I have been sharing one, but it doesn't work if we want to train together!), and I haven't been able to try it out yet.

I'm reaching the point where I'm considering telling work I'm pregnant. I didn't want to do it so soon but I think my shifts are making me ill, so if I can limit night shifts at least till I'm past the first trimester I think it might help. I've got an early scan booked for Monday, so I'll see how that goes and then decide.

On other topics, we've been batch cooking recently as well. We've got a load of stuff ready in the freezer so that if we have a busy day we can just heat it up and it's ready to go. We've agreed no takeaways for January, and so far it's going really well. We also bought a Jamie Oliver cook book (money saving meals), which is giving us lots of ideas of tasty interesting things to cook. I'm awful at ideas of things to cook, but pretty good at following recipes. Supperworks sounds like a really good idea for convenience etc. How does it work out on cost?

And finally - a question for the ladies: Sports bras for good support - any tips? I've never really had much of a problem as I'm naturally not very bouncy, but obviously as things are changing I'm finding that there is rather more bounce than is acceptable when I'm running, and I understand that it's particularly important at this stage to have adequate support. I don't really know where to start!
2014-01-15 9:10 AM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by chapfallen

That's really sad about the runner. Drink drivers have a huge amount to answer for. I probably won't be able to run the mile, but I'll try to walk one...

My training really isn't going well at the moment. I'm either exhausted or feeling like I'll throw up most of the time. And now I'm ill for the 2nd time since Christmas. There's no point killing myself, but it's getting a bit demoralising, especially as I bought a new turbo trainer which arrived on Monday (my husband and I have been sharing one, but it doesn't work if we want to train together!), and I haven't been able to try it out yet.

I'm reaching the point where I'm considering telling work I'm pregnant. I didn't want to do it so soon but I think my shifts are making me ill, so if I can limit night shifts at least till I'm past the first trimester I think it might help. I've got an early scan booked for Monday, so I'll see how that goes and then decide.

On other topics, we've been batch cooking recently as well. We've got a load of stuff ready in the freezer so that if we have a busy day we can just heat it up and it's ready to go. We've agreed no takeaways for January, and so far it's going really well. We also bought a Jamie Oliver cook book (money saving meals), which is giving us lots of ideas of tasty interesting things to cook. I'm awful at ideas of things to cook, but pretty good at following recipes. Supperworks sounds like a really good idea for convenience etc. How does it work out on cost?

And finally - a question for the ladies: Sports bras for good support - any tips? I've never really had much of a problem as I'm naturally not very bouncy, but obviously as things are changing I'm finding that there is rather more bounce than is acceptable when I'm running, and I understand that it's particularly important at this stage to have adequate support. I don't really know where to start!

First off, don't feel bad if you can't do what you are used to. I had the same problem in my first trimester. I wanted to fall asleep the minute I got home from work and I couldn't fathom waking up a minute earlier than was necessary in the morning. Do what you can, and know that the fatigue gets better. I'd say for me, from about 17 to 36 weeks I was feeling pretty good all round.

As for telling work. a couple of the girls at work were pregnant with me last year and they also had to tell people early. We were in the environmental field and they had to tell to make sure that they weren't exposed to dangerous chemicals. (I'm a project manager, so I had more control over which field sites I went to). I think after the first week or so after telling them, it was all okay after that (there was a bit of juggling at first to figure out what they could do - one girl was a field tech and couldn't go to any job sites).

Finally, sports bras - I love moving comfort. I have both the Juno and the Fiona. I'm wearing the Fionas right now since that is what I bought when my breast started getting better in the first trimester. (I am normally a D, went to a DD pretty quickly and for the last trimester first couple of months post-pardom. At the end of pregnancy the DD bra was pretty uncomfortable. I guess what I'm saying is I would wait as long as possible before getting new sports bras since you may have to go up two sizes.
2014-01-15 11:26 AM
in reply to: rydergal

User image

Terrible news

Got in my first swim fo the new year this morning. Switched roles with DW. I got DS dressed and she fed him breakfast (or should I say, sat with him while he fed himself waffles).

My training plan had be doing 5x200 easy. Unfortunately, I apparently can't do math and can't count as I kept losing track of what length I was on. I estimate I got in about 800 meters total. Not terrible for me as I'm still learning to be a swimmer (know how to swim but only started swimming for tris this past summer.

Never feel bad about being too tired to get the work in. You have to listen to your body, especially with a baby around. You need the energy for him.
2014-01-16 7:43 AM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by BigDH
Originally posted by sethjk Also- I've recently discovered Chia seeds. I sprinkle a tablespoon into my yogurt or oatmeal. Do others use them? How do you incorporate them? I definitely believe they keep me full longer as I haven't had to rely on my morning snacks as much this week.
Never tried them myself. They are kind of an ultra runner thing, or were an ultra runner thing. Probably too main stream now for them. Guys (because most women are too reasonable to do such crazy things) used to put them in a water bottle with water. I guess the ballooned up or something and you would just suck them down. Always sounded like too much work for me.

In this month's Martha Stewart Living there is an avocado smoothie with chia seeds. It is online here too: http://www.marthastewart.com/1047458/avocado-smoothie 

I saw it and thought of you, Seth. 

2014-01-16 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Good morning! 

So, things are well.  This week Felicity is not napping as much but its okay.  I am getting stir crazy so I am getting us out of the house more. So, i will not weenie out and we'll go out for a run in the jogger. I am thinking 8k or so. 

Last night I had a good swim. I am definitely feeling fitter in the pool. It's taken long enough, but i guess that's what happens when I don't have more frequency. 

I am going to sign up for a half ironman soon! I have just been dithering a bit because I am nervous about the deep water start (Laura, it's Welland) but i know i can manage it - and they have waves for the start now so it's not as much time in the water. 

Sport Bras: I completely second Laura's recommendation of moving comfort. I actually bought two of the Juno ones.  It's good too because the straps are adjustable (I bought them after baby came) and this means its possible to breast feed in them too.  Perhaps, just a little less awkwardly than other bra designs! hahaha

2014-01-16 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by juniperjen

Good morning! 

So, things are well.  This week Felicity is not napping as much but its okay.  I am getting stir crazy so I am getting us out of the house more. So, i will not weenie out and we'll go out for a run in the jogger. I am thinking 8k or so. 

Last night I had a good swim. I am definitely feeling fitter in the pool. It's taken long enough, but i guess that's what happens when I don't have more frequency. 

I am going to sign up for a half ironman soon! I have just been dithering a bit because I am nervous about the deep water start (Laura, it's Welland) but i know i can manage it - and they have waves for the start now so it's not as much time in the water. 

Sport Bras: I completely second Laura's recommendation of moving comfort. I actually bought two of the Juno ones.  It's good too because the straps are adjustable (I bought them after baby came) and this means its possible to breast feed in them too.  Perhaps, just a little less awkwardly than other bra designs! hahaha

seriously, don't worry about the deep water start at Welland. A lot of people hang by the shore and go in last minute. It isn't a big enough race that they have to get everyone in the water quickly. I have done it twice, and it is by far the easiest half iron swim I have done, and much easier than the guelph olympic which is just pandemonium. Water is super flat and very clear, and because the canal is narrow, the trees block the morning sun, so sighting isn't a problem (and you are swimming so close to shore most of the time, you can use the shore to sight off of when you breathe (i.e., make sure you are staying about the same distance from the shore).

Welland is a great race, and will be even better this week since the race is earlier in the season so the run course won't be as hot (still, much more shaded than peterborough.
2014-01-16 8:51 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
super busy at work,

Just so much more stuff to do also because my wife is working 3 days a week now, I am dropping our DS off at the babysitter.

Managed to get 20 miles running in this week so far, Will be running on Saturday, we are planing a big run to honor the lady from Virginia who got hit but a drunk driver just this week. had a great swim on sunday then again on tuesday with a coach.

DS is sleeping a little better this week,

Will post more when I am not falling asleep at the keyboard
2014-01-16 9:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cleveland OH
Just signed up for my first Half Ironman.
Sxxt I am nervous, only 22 weeks away!!!!!

http://www.hfpracing.com/events/signature/mef/index.htm

Edited by smithat05 2014-01-16 9:25 PM
2014-01-17 7:43 AM

User image

Expert
Have you guys seen this? What are your thoughts? do you know any age groupers using banned substance?

http://www.irishtriathlon.com/index.php/2014/01/ironman-triathlon-d...

I know quite a few IMers and would have a hard time believing any were using banned substances.

2014-01-17 11:35 AM

User image

Gave myself a birthday present of taking the morning off today. I definitely needed the sleep. Hoping to get in workouts this weekend, at least one. This turned out to be a pretty good week, especially because I was able to get back into running
2014-01-17 12:39 PM

User image

Expert

Gave myself a birthday present of taking the morning off today. I definitely needed the sleep. Hoping to get in workouts this weekend, at least one. This turned out to be a pretty good week, especially because I was able to get back into running

Happy Birthday!
2014-01-18 6:47 AM

User image

Cleveland OH
I fell down some stairs on new Years Eve (completely sober) and sprained my big toe- it was really bad and could barely walk for a few days. The pain seems to be completely gone now so I'll give tomorrow a try.

Yeah sure you were!

I sprained my big toe about 3-4 years ago while I was putting up some wallpaper and had a tarp down and you know like tripped on it or whatever, well from time to time it still hurts if I hit it wrong. So I hope this isnt the case with your injjury.

2014-01-18 6:49 AM

User image

Cleveland OH
Originally posted by Daffodil

I never record the distance on the trainer, I don't find it terribly accurate.

Tonight I'll go swimming after J is in bed. he seems to be falling asleep around 7:30.

Why would it not be accurate? If you have your garmin hooked up to the back wheel to record cadence and speed, I cant see why it wouldnt be.

Unless you mean the trainer is harder than outdoor riiding so you think it should be scaled differently.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 14

RELATED POSTS

New Year New You...reopened for late comers Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by Wumba41
Views: 29075 Posts: 712

2014-12-30 6:44 PM [email protected]

What off-season? Early season racers Mentor Group - OPEN! Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by ratherbeswimming
Views: 17320 Posts: 358

2014-05-12 2:12 PM HelmoAlkou

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16211 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29734 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : BellaDad
comments : 8
Moms and Dads, here are the five ways I’ve learned to succeed at triathlon and keep the peace at home.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
As a sports-parent, you can be a good role model for athleticism and healthful food choices. What can you do to regain control without becoming the food police?

date : February 28, 2005
author : mamakt
Be a better mother/wife/employee by putting yourself first.
date : September 11, 2004
author : westfried
Fact is, it's tough. Best bet is to do the training that you can, and let the chips fall where they may.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.