BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-04-08 2:53 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Tough news for an awesome lady, but she is taking it with grace and optimism. So much to learn...

http://www.karagoucher.com/a-surprise-new-accessory-and-a-change-of-plans/

I'm glad you think "WHAT THE F&*^" is grace and optimism.

It blows my mind how often this happens. I'm almost not surprised if my favorite runner announces a few weeks (or days) before a marathon that they won't be making it to the line. 

We are 13 days out and nothing from Ryan Hall yet (he's still in Ethiopia) I am really hoping he makes it to the start. If so, I think the US of A has a good chance (along with Shalane and maybe Desi...)

It actually was her statements at the end of the blog that gave me the optimism thoughts. Her first reactions were on point. I can't imagine being at that level, putting in that much work and then having that happen. My reaction might would be a bit stronger.

It's a game changer when you can focus your energy on rehabilitation vs worrying about what your family is going to eat because your sponsorship is about to be pulled from under you.

Race results do matter but they aren't everything. I feel as though she can still do an amazing job representing oiselle with an injury. Especially if she remains positive. 

I'm tellin' ya. Things are a changin' 

2014-04-08 2:59 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
I know I have not posted a picture in a while, but here is a recent picture of Pikatti. My mom took this after picking him up from the groomers.

(10257087_660282520687199_1000406271474476144_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
10257087_660282520687199_1000406271474476144_n.jpg (12KB - 4 downloads)
2014-04-08 3:01 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jbwills I know I have not posted a picture in a while, but here is a recent picture of Pikatti. My mom took this after picking him up from the groomers.

He's a handsome -- and happy -- boy!

2014-04-08 3:02 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Tough news for an awesome lady, but she is taking it with grace and optimism. So much to learn...

It blows my mind how often this happens. I'm almost not surprised if my favorite runner announces a few weeks (or days) before a marathon that they won't be making it to the line. 

We are 13 days out and nothing from Ryan Hall yet (he's still in Ethiopia) I am really hoping he makes it to the start. If so, I think the US of A has a good chance (along with Shalane and maybe Desi...)

It actually was her statements at the end of the blog that gave me the optimism thoughts. Her first reactions were on point. I can't imagine being at that level, putting in that much work and then having that happen. My reaction might would be a bit stronger.

It's a game changer when you can focus your energy on rehabilitation vs worrying about what your family is going to eat because your sponsorship is about to be pulled from under you.

Race results do matter but they aren't everything. I feel as though she can still do an amazing job representing oiselle with an injury. Especially if she remains positive. 

Glad she's in with oiselle. Glad I bought her book too! Doing my part to support her family
2014-04-08 3:04 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by jmkizer

Field Trip!

OK, TJ and Mary, you need to check this out for us and report back

17,000 square foot running store!!!

http://running.competitor.com/2014/04/news/new-running-stores-breaks-mold_98673

Ooooooh! I'll get Theresa soon as I can! BRC knows my name to be sure
2014-04-08 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

It is an interesting dichotomy. Production=results=sponsorship=more production=more of the same. It sure seems like a never ending push, and one that injury does not factor into very well. It looks like something that chews people up and spits them out. Yet when the sponsor focuses on the person, the relationship becomes much more dynamic and beneficial to each, albeit less tangibly obvious. It would be nice to see a sponsorship arrangement that does not go south at the first signs of trouble. When the almighty $$$$ is considered, that is where people get all outta whack. That is today's deep insight into the human condition. Feel free to use it whenever you'd like 

2014-04-08 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jbwills I know I have not posted a picture in a while, but here is a recent picture of Pikatti. My mom took this after picking him up from the groomers.

Agreed!

2014-04-08 3:13 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

I'm running Ragnar with a bunch of really smart people  nerds. One of them decided to give a numerical "difficulty" value for each runner number to decide who would run what. Her e-mail said:

Essentially my methodology was as follows:
- Each leg is labelled as easy, moderate, hard, very hard.  I allocated a numerical value between 1-4 for each leg based on hardness.
- I then multiplied the "hardness" rating by the distance of that leg
- This gave me a "total difficulty score" for each leg

- I ranked legs based on total difficulty score

This gave me 4 broad groupings:
- difficulty rating of 27 - 33 = average runner (4 runners total)
- difficulty rating of 43 - 49 = good runner (3 runners total)
- difficulty rating of 53 - 59 = very good runner (4 runners total)

- difficulty rating of 75.6 - our best runner

LOL! I am a draw names from the hat kind of girl. 

2014-04-08 3:16 PM

User image

Seattle

It is an interesting dichotomy. Production=results=sponsorship=more production=more of the same. It sure seems like a never ending push, and one that injury does not factor into very well. It looks like something that chews people up and spits them out. Yet when the sponsor focuses on the person, the relationship becomes much more dynamic and beneficial to each, albeit less tangibly obvious. It would be nice to see a sponsorship arrangement that does not go south at the first signs of trouble. When the almighty $$$$ is considered, that is where people get all outta whack. That is today's deep insight into the human condition. Feel free to use it whenever you'd like 

Well, and I think we are.

Especially in an industry which is trying to figure out how much the elites even matter at all! It's huge. It makes me sad to think that people don't care about what the elites are doing. But, realistically, a lot do not. And I think some work needs to be done to fix that, rather than getting mad (or sad) about it. (and that is kind of a side bar)

Companies still need to make the $$$$, that is a reality. But it can be tied to a lot of other factors. 

2014-04-08 3:17 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'm running Ragnar with a bunch of really smart people  nerds. One of them decided to give a numerical "difficulty" value for each runner number to decide who would run what. Her e-mail said:

- Each leg is labelled as easy, moderate, hard, very hard.  I allocated a numerical value between 1-4 for each leg based on hardness.

I like the drink and choose method. Get everyone together for a few drinks, talk a little smack, wait long enough and they'll be up for anything! Of course, you may not end up with a good finish, but the stories would be great.

2014-04-08 3:32 PM

User image

Seattle

Super cute! 

I think I missed it, where are you located now? Not AK still, right?

2014-04-08 4:03 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Wow I only missed 5 pages?!

One week to go and then I'll be able to keep up daily again?

So what did I miss - sick kitty but she's doing better, Jonathan nailed the 70.3, Ben had a great swim meet....... sorry if I missed anyone else.

Took my new bikey out for a ride. Man I hope the saddle breaks in soon :D Other than that it's so completely different......I'm sure I'll get the hang of it! Although I feel like I'm at bike handling 101!!

Have a good week - are your taxes done?>!
2014-04-08 4:16 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

Field Trip!

OK, TJ and Mary, you need to check this out for us and report back

17,000 square foot running store!!!

http://running.competitor.com/2014/04/news/new-running-stores-breaks-mold_98673

Ooooooh! I'll get Theresa soon as I can! BRC knows my name to be sure

It's really close to my house.  I'm planning to check it out (after the opening hubbub dies down) and will definitely report back.  And I'll probably find a super-expensive pair of shoes to remind me of my trip.

2014-04-08 4:17 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

He is so beautiful, thanks for sharing the pic!

2014-04-08 4:40 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Love his smile!  He looks like a wonderful boy.

2014-04-08 5:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

Super cute! 

I think I missed it, where are you located now? Not AK still, right?

Salty,

I am stationed in TN, but currently in Afghanistan. I am here until mid September or early October. Then I will be back to the Clarksville area in TN.

2014-04-08 5:30 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Kara "favorited" my tweet! *starstruck*
2014-04-08 5:35 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

My thoughts exactly!

2014-04-08 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I like the drink and choose method. Get everyone together for a few drinks, talk a little smack, wait long enough and they'll be up for anything! Of course, you may not end up with a good finish, but the stories would be great.

Ha Ha.  The runner order in the relay I'm doing was decided by a guy in North Carolina who doesn't know most of the runners.  I think he probably used the drink and choose method - at least that how his line up looks!  Should be a great time

2014-04-08 6:24 PM

Master
Northern IL

Got into one as well, but not entirely sure how the legs were assigned beyond finding out who wanted to run more or less. Somehow I got the biggest total.

2014-04-08 6:30 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Yes, that makes sense Ben. Thanks for your answer!

It actually surprised me. In a good way. Not because of the way it all fits into the plan in your head (of course it does) but because of your focus on enjoyment.

I find it fascinating to observe those around me. There is an excellent mix of talent, work ethic and passion, and everyone seems to have different proportions. It's always very interesting to see how it plays out on race day. 

Yeah, I don't really get voluntarily spending lots of time doing things you don't really want to when this is all for fun. Some areas have limited events, but around here there are some options. There are some duathlons, aquabikes and even some aquathons if you look for it. Then of course the single sports. 

Edited by brigby1 2014-04-08 6:31 PM

2014-04-09 7:03 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by brigby1

Swim Meet

Long Version

Short Version

Friday
1000 Free: 13:37.92

Saturday
100 Fly: 1:14.21
200 Free: 2:19.57

Sunday
500 Free: 6:29.63
Mixed 200 Free Relay: 28.93
50 Fly: 32.38
100 Free: 1:02.45
Men 200 Medley Relay (Free): 28.03

Long version and short version. Heh.

CONSPANKULATIONS B...B... B... you.

2014-04-09 7:47 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by JJ- Whew!!! Tough day out there today. Made some mistakes, learned some lessons, walked away with sub 6 which is a great day considering 12 months ago I was 7:03. Race Report coming later
WOW a PR by over an hour that FANTASTIC!!!

CONGRATEJASLATIONS!!!

I see what you did there
2014-04-09 7:53 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Got into one as well, but not entirely sure how the legs were assigned beyond finding out who wanted to run more or less. Somehow I got the biggest total.

Now there's a shocker!

2014-04-09 8:03 AM

Master
Northern IL

Now there's a shocker!

Could be something to do with the "I'll run whatever" in the run segment preference.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 63857 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 27611 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 16247 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 99242 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.