BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-07-16 10:37 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by melbo55

Thanks for the well-wishes for Dad.  The doctor thinks the pain is from tumor flare.  A spot of something did show up on the CT scan, but the doc didn't seem to be too worried about it.  They put him on prednisone and some strong antibiotic to help with his wheezing/coughing and in case anything new and ugly is brewing in his lungs. 

The poor guy got stuck (without exaggeration) 4 times at LCC before they could get blood for his routine blood work, then twice at the first outpatient center we went to for his scan, without success, so they sent us to the main hospital where there was an IV team.  Well, the IV team put two more holes in him before his vein collapsed at which point they finally gave up and called for someone who could access his port, who did so, but then forgot the heparin to flush it out with.  What was supposed to be a 5 minute procedure for the CT scan turned into 2 visits, 20 minutes at one, then over an hour at the 2nd.  What a day!  Dad was worn out.

That sounds like a marathon day.  No wonder he's exhausted.  I feel tired just thinking about it and I'm not his age or dealing with all his health issues!!!   Hope the pain resolves quickly and that the prednisone/antibiotic regimen helps.  Nothing new or ugly would be good.  (((Hugs))) to you both.

Agree with all of the above!!

2015-07-16 10:39 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

Kevin's been out of town for work this week.  He's in Greenville, SC and he brought his bike with him. Last night I got a text, "Awesome ride tonight on Paris Mountain. No wonder George (Hincapie) rides there!"

I love Greenville. It is on our shortlist of retirement places. Yes, we may move OUT of Florida when we retire. Do you have a Tupelo Honey near you? There is one in Greenville and a few other cities in the Carolinas (Asheville) and they have a grilled cheese sandwich with green tomato that is EPIC!!!!

Ok, maybe it is simply a pretty good sandwich and not quite epic 

Yes, there is a Tupelo Honey in Raleigh.  I think that the original one is in downtown Asheville?

haha!  Way to use your Bachelorette references! 

I'm not sure which came first, but we ended up in the Greenville one when we were up there in 2013.  The biscuits are good as well, real southern biscuits.  Goodness, I think I need breakfast this morning.   I hit the one in Asheville when I was there for Bike Mechanic school.  Asheville is kind of a cool city, a bit hipster for my taste, but nice not too bad at all.  And it has an old velodrome in it that you can ride.  However, be advised that it is not well kept.  Fun experience, none the less.

Actually, the EPIC reference is from something that started a few days earlier. I have been ranting about the tendency some (younger) folks have to use hyperbole when describing things.  DD2 is pretty bad at this and her sister is even worse.  Everything is "the best ever", "EPIC, "Awesome!", etc.  Given my IG pic from last night, it evidently drives me to drink 

Steve, your pics are cool, I really love that you were able to do that event with him.

Have a great day everyone.  

I went to the Tupelo Honey in downtown Asheville just last week!  The biscuits were epic and the omelette was awesome!!

2015-07-16 10:39 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by popsracer

I'm stuck pulling a very late night at the office and found a few pics from the website of the race I did this last weekend.  They also had a pic of my little super boy.  He had so much fun.

Looks like you both had a ton of fun.  Love that you're both charging out of the water in your pics.  Like father like son.  

Those kids in the background are pretty cute too.  The dad helping his little swimmer and the grinning kid at top left are so sweet. I really should volunteer for a kids' tri.  TJ's stories about doing it sound like so much fun.

2015-07-16 10:40 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Jet Black Dang Steve, looks at those guns! Love the pic of your son, too bad the camera man has him out of focus!

Agreed, great guns, great pics!  Your son is really cute, if a bit out of focus

He looks focused, even though his picture isn't so much!

2015-07-16 10:46 AM

User image

Melon Presser

I'm stuck pulling a very late night at the office and found a few pics from the website of the race I did this last weekend.  They also had a pic of my little super boy.  He had so much fun.

Looks like you both had a ton of fun.  Love that you're both charging out of the water in your pics.  Like father like son.  

Those kids in the background are pretty cute too.  The dad helping his little swimmer and the grinning kid at top left are so sweet. I really should volunteer for a kids' tri.  TJ's stories about doing it sound like so much fun.

Loving the pics! Way to go Nancyguns and clearly your kid comes from great stock

HappyStoned, I've never felt more like a triathlete than when I volunteered for a kids' tri. Don't know how to explain it, but highly encouraged!

2015-07-16 10:53 AM

Master
Northern IL

Kevin's been out of town for work this week.  He's in Greenville, SC and he brought his bike with him. Last night I got a text, "Awesome ride tonight on Paris Mountain. No wonder George (Hincapie) rides there!"

I love Greenville. It is on our shortlist of retirement places. Yes, we may move OUT of Florida when we retire. Do you have a Tupelo Honey near you? There is one in Greenville and a few other cities in the Carolinas (Asheville) and they have a grilled cheese sandwich with green tomato that is EPIC!!!!

Ok, maybe it is simply a pretty good sandwich and not quite epic 

Yes, there is a Tupelo Honey in Raleigh.  I think that the original one is in downtown Asheville?

haha!  Way to use your Bachelorette references! 

I'm not sure which came first, but we ended up in the Greenville one when we were up there in 2013.  The biscuits are good as well, real southern biscuits.  Goodness, I think I need breakfast this morning.   I hit the one in Asheville when I was there for Bike Mechanic school.  Asheville is kind of a cool city, a bit hipster for my taste, but nice not too bad at all.  And it has an old velodrome in it that you can ride.  However, be advised that it is not well kept.  Fun experience, none the less.

Actually, the EPIC reference is from something that started a few days earlier. I have been ranting about the tendency some (younger) folks have to use hyperbole when describing things.  DD2 is pretty bad at this and her sister is even worse.  Everything is "the best ever", "EPIC, "Awesome!", etc.  Given my IG pic from last night, it evidently drives me to drink 

Steve, your pics are cool, I really love that you were able to do that event with him.

Have a great day everyone.  

Haven't been to Greenville, but know that there are some bike camps and travel tours of the area. Some of the guys associated with Trek might hit that one up a couple times in a year.

2015-07-16 11:54 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, CO

Couple questions for everybody:

I got my wetsuit used. it has the legs cut short, and it doen't cover my timing chip.  During both my races last year, it was hard to get it off over the chip.  I remember somebody saying in TT that some people cut their wetsuit legs to be shorter in the back, which makes them much easier to get off.  Does that sound like a good idea?  Any other suggestions other than getting a new wetsuit with longer legs?

The other question is about acclimating to heat.  My tri at the end of August starts at 10:35 and is on a course with very little shade.  I get really nauseated running when it's hot.  I usually work out in the evenings but we've been having lots of evening thunderstorms, after which it's much cooler.  While I'd much prefer to run then, I'm thinking I should get used to running in hotter conditions.  I can ride on my trainer without a fan, which gets pretty hot, but I'm more concerned about the running.  How often should I do hot workouts to get acclimated?  Is 1x/wk. (running on the weekend) enough or or do I need to do more?  Would hot trainer rides be beneficial or should I try to focus on running in the heat?

2015-07-16 12:48 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I just read this artlcle, Miles vs. Minutes: Which Is A Better Training Method?, and it kind of made me laugh to myself.  Whenever I am given a workout, I "translate" it.  Sometimes my workouts say 60 minutes (tomorrow) or other times 5 miles (Tuesday).  When I first saw 60 minutes for tomorrow, I thought to myself, "OK, about six miles, that's Haddon Hall route.  Need to leave the neighborhood the long way."  Granted, my workouts also say something about the effort and any intervals that I should include mid run but still. 

2015-07-16 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I got my wetsuit used. it has the legs cut short, and it doen't cover my timing chip.  During both my races last year, it was hard to get it off over the chip.  I remember somebody saying in TT that some people cut their wetsuit legs to be shorter in the back, which makes them much easier to get off.  Does that sound like a good idea?  Any other suggestions other than getting a new wetsuit with longer legs?

The other question is about acclimating to heat.  My tri at the end of August starts at 10:35 and is on a course with very little shade.  I get really nauseated running when it's hot.  I usually work out in the evenings but we've been having lots of evening thunderstorms, after which it's much cooler.  While I'd much prefer to run then, I'm thinking I should get used to running in hotter conditions.  I can ride on my trainer without a fan, which gets pretty hot, but I'm more concerned about the running.  How often should I do hot workouts to get acclimated?  Is 1x/wk. (running on the weekend) enough or or do I need to do more?  Would hot trainer rides be beneficial or should I try to focus on running in the heat?

Mary,

When you remove the wetsuit, does it end up inside out in T1?

2015-07-16 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I can offer no help on the wet suit question, but since i live in a sauna, i may be able to help with the heat acclimation one!  I think everyone tolerates heat differently and will acclimate to it at different rates.  For example, I know I tolerate it pretty well, but one of the women I run with does not and regardless of how long she runs in it, she will only acclimate to a so so degree.  Therefore, I don't think there is an easy run x amount of times and you'll be fine.  If I were you, I'd start running as many work outs as I could in the heat and see how things progress.  Take things slowly and work your way up into longer runs.  Make sure you are well hydrated, wear a hat etc.    

2015-07-16 1:55 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

Mary,

Pretty much.  I use a lot of TriSlide on my legs but still struggle to get the leg over the chip and foot.

2015-07-16 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Mary,

Pretty much.  I use a lot of TriSlide on my legs but still struggle to get the leg over the chip and foot.

Then you are doing it right. It's supposed to be inside out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWrB2hu0ZBo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smj2TEyu-Po

http://www.triradar.com/training-advice/how-to-remove-your-wetsuit-quickly-in-transition/

2015-07-16 2:33 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I can offer no help on the wet suit question, but since i live in a sauna, i may be able to help with the heat acclimation one!  I think everyone tolerates heat differently and will acclimate to it at different rates.  For example, I know I tolerate it pretty well, but one of the women I run with does not and regardless of how long she runs in it, she will only acclimate to a so so degree.  Therefore, I don't think there is an easy run x amount of times and you'll be fine.  If I were you, I'd start running as many work outs as I could in the heat and see how things progress.  Take things slowly and work your way up into longer runs.  Make sure you are well hydrated, wear a hat etc.    

I'm like Hands' friend, my input would be to cool yourself as much as possible during the race. Water on the head and neck is a go to for me.  I wear a buff knockoff when I ride in the heat, which I find helpful. I also have arm coolers for rides during this time of year. 

2015-07-16 2:46 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Mary,

http://www.triradar.com/training-advice/how-to-remove-your-wetsuit-quickly-in-transition/

there is no way my wetsuit comes off as easy as the Aquasphere girl's!!
2015-07-16 2:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I cut my wetsuit legs up an inch or two and it is way easier to get off now.  With the legs cut it should actually be a little easier to get it past the chip because the opening will be bigger.  How far up is it cut?  You can cut it up to just before the end of the tape covering the seam.  If it was me, I'd cut it as far as you could.  When I did the cutting I did it over a few swims with a little off each time so I wouldn't go too far.

Edited by popsracer 2015-07-16 2:49 PM
2015-07-16 2:54 PM

Master
Northern IL

I cut my wetsuit legs up an inch or two and it is way easier to get off now.  With the legs cut it should actually be a little easier to get it past the chip because the opening will be bigger.  How far up is it cut?  You can cut it up to just before the end of the tape covering the seam.  If it was me, I'd cut it as far as you could.  When I did the cutting I did it over a few swims with a little off each time so I wouldn't go too far.

Was going to say that about the tape.

2015-07-16 3:00 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Mary,

What's keeping you from that? She actually goes a bit slow and uses her hands a bit more than others do.

2015-07-16 3:35 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I'm like Hands' friend, my input would be to cool yourself as much as possible during the race. Water on the head and neck is a go to for me.  I wear a buff knockoff when I ride in the heat, which I find helpful. I also have arm coolers for rides during this time of year. 

Thanks.  Now that I think about it, there are lots of options for cooling that I already use, like a light-colored hat and regularly dumping water on myself.  DH has a visor that is worn wet and helps with cooling too.  I guess I was only thinking about how to adapt to the heat rather than reducing the heat's impact, if that makes sense.  Seems like maybe I was just thinking about it too narrowly.

2015-07-16 3:45 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Mary,

No kidding!

2015-07-16 3:47 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Mary,

What's keeping you from that? She actually goes a bit slow and uses her hands a bit more than others do.

Being extra uncoordinated and discombobulated and unbalanced from the swim and then running to my bike.

2015-07-16 3:51 PM

User image

Denver, CO

It hits me at about mid-calf.  It may be that it's short because it's the wrong size but it fits in all other aspects so I hadn't thought to replace it.  I didn't cut it; that's the length it was when I got it.  I'll have to check where the seam is.

On the subject of wetsuits, how do you know when you need to replace yours?  Mine is inherited from DH, who got it used in 2006.  It hasn't seen much use between the 2 of us but I would think that neoprene breaks down over time.

2015-07-16 4:11 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

It hits me at about mid-calf.  It may be that it's short because it's the wrong size but it fits in all other aspects so I hadn't thought to replace it.  I didn't cut it; that's the length it was when I got it.  I'll have to check where the seam is.

On the subject of wetsuits, how do you know when you need to replace yours?  Mine is inherited from DH, who got it used in 2006.  It hasn't seen much use between the 2 of us but I would think that neoprene breaks down over time.

Mine hits me mid-calf, too, and I seldom have trouble going over the chip.  I spray Tri-Slide on the outside of the wetsuit from the knee down which I swear helps with general removal and also over the chip.  I also liberally spray Tri-Slide on my calves, too.  I'm like an eel!

Edited to add: I also don't take it off nicely.  Pull down to the waist after exiting the water.  Once at your spot in transition, pull it down some more, take the non-chip leg out, then let the suit fall to the ground, step on it, and pull the chipped leg out. 

Edited by melbo55 2015-07-16 4:12 PM
2015-07-16 4:28 PM

Master
Northern IL

Mary,

Being extra uncoordinated and discombobulated and unbalanced from the swim and then running to my bike.

OK, but what part or parts are regularly giving trouble? That still sounds like things are rushed or acting a bit hasty. It is necessary to have a bit more of a snappy or feisty attitude towards parts of this, but you can learn which parts and get a feel for it.

2015-07-16 4:35 PM

Master
Northern IL

Mine hits me mid-calf, too, and I seldom have trouble going over the chip.  I spray Tri-Slide on the outside of the wetsuit from the knee down which I swear helps with general removal and also over the chip.  I also liberally spray Tri-Slide on my calves, too.  I'm like an eel!

Edited to add: I also don't take it off nicely.  Pull down to the waist after exiting the water.  Once at your spot in transition, pull it down some more, take the non-chip leg out, then let the suit fall to the ground, step on it, and pull the chipped leg out. 

I've never differentiated with chip/non-chip, but if that does help then go for it. Definitely a big point some have to learn with not being nice to it. Get that planted foot set down and drive the other leg hard. Do your best to pull it so you leg will come out of the suit. Some can pull hard, but a bit cross-wise which doesn't do as much good. I'm also ready for the pull to not go quite as expected. Could come shorter or more than I thought and be ready to adjust where to put that foot down. 

ETA: On the fit, most people I know or see who are good at this will have the legs cut up from full length. Also with the arms, at least 1/3 of my forearm is actually showing. I didn't cut the thing, That's just how it fits on me. By the wrists would be nice, but this is also not an issue. How it fits around the torso, and especially the shoulders, is more important.

Edited by brigby1 2015-07-16 4:37 PM
2015-07-16 5:02 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I've never differentiated with chip/non-chip, but if that does help then go for it. Definitely a big point some have to learn with not being nice to it. Get that planted foot set down and drive the other leg hard. Do your best to pull it so you leg will come out of the suit. Some can pull hard, but a bit cross-wise which doesn't do as much good. I'm also ready for the pull to not go quite as expected. Could come shorter or more than I thought and be ready to adjust where to put that foot down. 

ETA: On the fit, most people I know or see who are good at this will have the legs cut up from full length. Also with the arms, at least 1/3 of my forearm is actually showing. I didn't cut the thing, That's just how it fits on me. By the wrists would be nice, but this is also not an issue. How it fits around the torso, and especially the shoulders, is more important.

Mine's sleeveless, which helps not constrict my shoulders and conveniently helps with making it easier to get out of.   After reading your description of how best to get out of it, I've run into problems because I wear my chip on the same side as my weak hip.  It's hard for me to pull my leg up against that much resistance.  Guess I'm going to have to do some more strength work (which I should do anyway; I just don't like it) or I'll be forever stuck with molasses-slow T1s.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68404 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29147 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38644 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67872 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.