BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-06-14 8:21 PM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Today was hill repeats on the bike and a swim. I actually felt pretty good on the bike, which was nice. I did the swim straight after and ended up doing 2 miles in 1:25. Other than a bite on my neck from the wetsuit, I was pretty happy with today.

Tomorrow is a 4 hour ride.

I am actually starting to get really excited again. I went through a really bad "omg, I'm not going to make cut off's, I can't do this" period, so it's nice to be excited again. It is what it is, and I shall do my best and go from there.

I also just signed up for a late September half marathon - I want a PR!!

2013-06-14 8:24 PM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Originally posted by kidtri33

'crickets'....'crickets'....

I got some good news A friend of mine is going to let me borrow is Zipps for REV3

Nice! lucky duck.
2013-06-14 8:38 PM

User image

Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

Today was hill repeats on the bike and a swim. I actually felt pretty good on the bike, which was nice. I did the swim straight after and ended up doing 2 miles in 1:25. Other than a bite on my neck from the wetsuit, I was pretty happy with today.

Tomorrow is a 4 hour ride.

I am actually starting to get really excited again. I went through a really bad "omg, I'm not going to make cut off's, I can't do this" period, so it's nice to be excited again. It is what it is, and I shall do my best and go from there.

I also just signed up for a late September half marathon - I want a PR!!

Happy for you ...sounds like a good training times.
2013-06-14 8:41 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Originally posted by jarvy01

Last summer the 2 oldest kids were in day camp, but this year everyone is home with me all day. They are in tons of activities, and they're super active. With all that and the training, I'm tired. Looks like I'm bumping up to 4 hour long rides now (and I'm sure 5s are in the near future for me). I'm thinking that if the IM is the distance for me, I may need to pick an early season race next year and suffer through soccer season instead of swim/tennis season.

Soooo glad tomorrow is a rest day. I plan on lounging at the pool with my family before heading to a Father's Day cookout, where I plan on eating a large quantity of burgers and watermelon.

Enjoy tomorrow!

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the awesome dads here.
2013-06-15 4:01 AM
in reply to: kr140.6

User image

Veteran
Nice on the swim Deb. Am glad to hear that you are feeling excited and optimistic.

Yes is 5AM on a Sat and I have to go ride for about 330. Yeah ! followed by a run, swim, and yardwork. Perhaps I can stay awake long enough to catch some hockey.
2013-06-15 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Wholly-molly, I'm humbled buy this event and false expectations!!! (Or misguided expectations!) Wow, that was an experience. Going into the Griskus after the Rev3 which was twice as long with similar hills and worse heat, I took for granted how hard an Olympic course can be, and I really let my guard down. The training program that I'm using calculates an estimated finish time based on your current training volume and test results: needless to say, I blew that theory today.(2:15-2:20 versus my actual of 2:29!) I struggled for the first 500 yards to get in my groove with the swim, and then had a very difficult time getting it together on the bike. The run wasn't much better either - again, my reference point is how I felt during the Rev3. So I have to say my Rev was an A effort/result for me, where as this Olympic ended up as a C result with much more mental effort. I couldn't get my body in gear today.(and it was the end of my recovery week too.). I do appreciate these kinds of days because it is this kind of feedback that kicks you in the pants to refocus on the effort. I can almost see where my fast-twitch muscles for higher speeds and bursts of power for shorter course distances, have evolved into the slow twitch endurance muscles to keep me going for IMLP. I've reached the point in training where I just can't wait for the IM to get here so life can return to normal - actually, not sure if I know what that is now. Okay, enough post-race rambling. I need to get my blood sugar back in line.

2013-06-15 6:40 PM
in reply to: cobratodd

User image

Regular
70s and low 80s and sunny here - a perfect day to be outside.  I had a wonderful 4-hour ride on some of my favorite hilly roads near Frederick and Thurmont, MD.  One hill in particular that always kicks my butt - I rode it stronger than I have ever before.  Then made it back in time for the Father's Day presentation at my kids' school, followed by a nap.  Writing this while our grill for tonight's dinner gets ready.  I'm planning a swim for tomorrow morning, but it has been a great weekend so far...
2013-06-15 7:48 PM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Kuma

70s and low 80s and sunny here - a perfect day to be outside.  I had a wonderful 4-hour ride on some of my favorite hilly roads near Frederick and Thurmont, MD.  One hill in particular that always kicks my butt - I rode it stronger than I have ever before.  Then made it back in time for the Father's Day presentation at my kids' school, followed by a nap.  Writing this while our grill for tonight's dinner gets ready.  I'm planning a swim for tomorrow morning, but it has been a great weekend so far...

Matt - I used to work at a camp right next to Camp David in the Catoctin Natl Park..and fished Hunting Creek quite frequently. I know Thrumont and that area well. Sounds like a great ride and a great day.
2013-06-16 9:56 AM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Regular

Originally posted by ccmpsyd
Originally posted by Kuma 70s and low 80s and sunny here - a perfect day to be outside.  I had a wonderful 4-hour ride on some of my favorite hilly roads near Frederick and Thurmont, MD.  One hill in particular that always kicks my butt - I rode it stronger than I have ever before.  Then made it back in time for the Father's Day presentation at my kids' school, followed by a nap.  Writing this while our grill for tonight's dinner gets ready.  I'm planning a swim for tomorrow morning, but it has been a great weekend so far...
Matt - I used to work at a camp right next to Camp David in the Catoctin Natl Park..and fished Hunting Creek quite frequently. I know Thrumont and that area well. Sounds like a great ride and a great day.

I love that area.  We went camping in Catoctin Nat'l Park just a couple weeks ago.  If the commute to work in DC weren't so brutal, I'd like to live there.  Park Central, the road past the entrance to Camp David, is one of my regular routes, as are Harp Hill (that's the one from yesterday), Gambrill Park/Shookstown, Highland School, Catoctin Hollow Road, and Hamburg.  The descent down Foxville-Deerfield Rd. to 550 and into Thurmont is a wonderful reward for all that climbing.  Did you ride those roads when you were there?  I'm curious - what camp was it?  

2013-06-16 12:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Happy Father's Day to all the dads in the group
2013-06-16 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Kuma

Originally posted by ccmpsyd
Originally posted by Kuma 70s and low 80s and sunny here - a perfect day to be outside.  I had a wonderful 4-hour ride on some of my favorite hilly roads near Frederick and Thurmont, MD.  One hill in particular that always kicks my butt - I rode it stronger than I have ever before.  Then made it back in time for the Father's Day presentation at my kids' school, followed by a nap.  Writing this while our grill for tonight's dinner gets ready.  I'm planning a swim for tomorrow morning, but it has been a great weekend so far...

I love that area.  We went camping in Catoctin Nat'l Park just a couple weeks ago.  If the commute to work in DC weren't so brutal, I'd like to live there.  Park Central, the road past the entrance to Camp David, is one of my regular routes, as are Harp Hill (that's the one from yesterday), Gambrill Park/Shookstown, Highland School, Catoctin Hollow Road, and Hamburg.  The descent down Foxville-Deerfield Rd. to 550 and into Thurmont is a wonderful reward for all that climbing.  Did you ride those roads when you were there?  I'm curious - what camp was it?  

It is/was called Camp Greentop. It is a camp for children/adults with physical and developmental disabilities. I did it for 4 summers beginning the summer before my junior in college and while I was doing my Master's. Never biked it...would run it in the AM. Very impressive that you ride/rode those hills. Those must be exhausting to do. I bet the descent is awesome.

Did you know that Thurmont is (was) one of the KKK hot beds in MD?

2013-06-17 6:26 AM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Extreme Veteran
So...I have 0 worries about the swim and the run portions of my IM. The swim will be great. The run will be fine. I am having nightmares about the cycling leg. I am obsessing over this course. I don't have hills to practice on around here, so I've been doing my long rides on the trainer with added resistance. I also focus on changing gears often and keeping cadence high when using small chainring (a 4 hour ride is 5 on the road with stoplights, and I can't be gone for that long anyway.....I have 4 children). Any strategies to cope with my fears? I'm worried.

Hold me please.
2013-06-17 6:30 AM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Hey all - back again (and now for good) - went down to the beach for the weekend. Unfortunately, on Thursday the weather was great but we were on our way to an event so we just hung at the pool. Friday, when we had hoped to go do some ocean swimming, was cold and red-flagged all day. Saturday before we came back was just cold. (Wavy too - husband went out in it, but not me.)

However, at the meeting we were down at the beach for, the fam ran a 5K - everyone got an award except me. The 8-year old got youngest finisher; the 11-year old got fastest under-21 female; and hubby got fastest male 30-39. (I ran with the little one, so I'm giving myself best mom.)

2013-06-17 6:34 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Champion
BTW - folks coming down for REV3...

We drove the bike course for hubby (his first Oly) - fairly flat, particularly through first 8 miles. Even after that, the hills truly are just rollers. The road conditions are good until about mile 14 and then for 2-3 miles the road is awful - pot holes, cracks, etc. - but then you get back on main roads for the rest of the race.

(If you look at the turn-by-turn or map for the race, the rough territory is on the 2nd leg of Jolly Pond, the area that skirts the south part of the water.)

Be careful out there!

The beach for the swim is OK - unfortunately it had suffered a lot of damage during the storm the day before (trees down) so we couldn't walk around much. On the plus side, they were clearing the trees while we were there, so I'm sure things will be fine by next weekend.

We didn't drive the run, as some of it runs through campus (and not on driveable roads).

2013-06-17 6:36 AM

User image

Champion
One last post (for this morning...)

Aero-drink systems? Seeking recommendations. I've read all the complaints about Profile Design, but they seem to have a big chunk of the market. I've tried looking through the reviews here and elsewhere, but didn't find much consensus on any other system.

I'm considering the Podium Quest dual chamber based on a review from 2010 - is there something better out there now?
2013-06-17 7:22 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by jarvy01 So...I have 0 worries about the swim and the run portions of my IM. The swim will be great. The run will be fine. I am having nightmares about the cycling leg. I am obsessing over this course. I don't have hills to practice on around here, so I've been doing my long rides on the trainer with added resistance. I also focus on changing gears often and keeping cadence high when using small chainring (a 4 hour ride is 5 on the road with stoplights, and I can't be gone for that long anyway.....I have 4 children). Any strategies to cope with my fears? I'm worried. Hold me please.

Hahaha.  You kill me.  Trust your training.  That's about it.  You have put in the work and have the cardio to get through it.  Learn to gear your bike correctly in hills and just trust. 

2013-06-17 7:27 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by enders_shadow One last post (for this morning...) Aero-drink systems? Seeking recommendations. I've read all the complaints about Profile Design, but they seem to have a big chunk of the market. I've tried looking through the reviews here and elsewhere, but didn't find much consensus on any other system. I'm considering the Podium Quest dual chamber based on a review from 2010 - is there something better out there now?

You looking for something big?  I prefer just a torpedo mount setup with a bottle up front so that I can use the bottle handups.  I have friends that swear by the Speedfil A2 set up, and others that have taken the Torhans 30 and added in the CeeGees Splash filter and added it in.  They say it takes care of the leaking issue Torhans has.  I don't know anyone who has a Profile Design set up that actually likes it.

2013-06-17 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by enders_shadow

BTW - folks coming down for REV3...

We drove the bike course for hubby (his first Oly) - fairly flat, particularly through first 8 miles. Even after that, the hills truly are just rollers. The road conditions are good until about mile 14 and then for 2-3 miles the road is awful - pot holes, cracks, etc. - but then you get back on main roads for the rest of the race.

(If you look at the turn-by-turn or map for the race, the rough territory is on the 2nd leg of Jolly Pond, the area that skirts the south part of the water.)

Be careful out there!

The beach for the swim is OK - unfortunately it had suffered a lot of damage during the storm the day before (trees down) so we couldn't walk around much. On the plus side, they were clearing the trees while we were there, so I'm sure things will be fine by next weekend.

We didn't drive the run, as some of it runs through campus (and not on driveable roads).

Thanks for the details.

I've pretty much abandoned any goals on performance for this race. Pre-Florida everything was going great and I had high expectations but since it's just been a struggle. The last two weeks work has been a nightmare with issues and I've been on call getting woken up at different times. Couple that with the little one and sleep has sucked. I got 8 hours last night and still feel completely drained. My diet has also sucked with the stress which is my own fault for not being mentally stronger so close to the race. Throw in the ITBS flaring up and not hitting my expected training numbers and I just feel ill-prepared to do my best. So that this point I just want to feel like I ran a smart race. I want my swim pace to set me up for a good race. Clean transitions. A steady HR on the bike. I want to finish the run at the same pace or close to it that I started. Last but not least I want my fueling to be perfect so I'm not cramping the second half of the run like I was in my previous two HIMs. If I can do that I really don't care what my time is at this point.
2013-06-17 8:41 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Haymarket, VA

Long, eventful, and exhausting weekend at the track.  I swear, when racers cram their head into that helmet and get behind the wheel, it's like all common sense and intelligence disappear.  Thankfully all we ended up with was some very crunched cars, and some bruised egos.  

Forced myself to go to the gym this morning and get a run in on the treadmill even though all I wanted to do was catch up on sleep.  Also finally calibrated my footpod so the distances will be a bit more accurate on the treadmill.

2013-06-17 10:14 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by jarvy01 So...I have 0 worries about the swim and the run portions of my IM. The swim will be great. The run will be fine. I am having nightmares about the cycling leg. I am obsessing over this course. I don't have hills to practice on around here, so I've been doing my long rides on the trainer with added resistance. I also focus on changing gears often and keeping cadence high when using small chainring (a 4 hour ride is 5 on the road with stoplights, and I can't be gone for that long anyway.....I have 4 children). Any strategies to cope with my fears? I'm worried. Hold me please.

Hahaha.  You kill me.  Trust your training.  That's about it.  You have put in the work and have the cardio to get through it.  Learn to gear your bike correctly in hills and just trust. 

I just keep thinking I made a foolish move picking this particular race. The terrain here is very different so I'm not able to fully prepare. I think that will be a weakness. It's not my training I doubt. My endurance is great. It's just the gearing on those hills.....
2013-06-17 11:15 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

I just keep thinking I made a foolish move picking this particular race. The terrain here is very different so I'm not able to fully prepare. I think that will be a weakness. It's not my training I doubt. My endurance is great. It's just the gearing on those hills.....

You don't have anywhere that you can drive 30 - 60 minutes to and get some hills in? 

2013-06-17 11:21 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Expert
Two ideas on the hills. One as much as it sucks to do in the good weather hop on the trainer and do a lot of 60 RPM training. Two buy a 15-25 pound flak jacket and do the hills you do have with the extra weight in a gear that's going to cause you to grind.
2013-06-17 11:23 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I did a modified sprint yesterday and did better than I thought. I actually placed 4th for my age group, so was super happy about that. Its funny that even though my run is still about 11 min/miles got me 4th because my swim and bike were so much faster than others doing 8-9 min/miles. I was worried because I hammer the swim and bike and start the run out very slow, but was able to pick it back up at the end. Still a lot to learn ... I need to be patient and disciplined, especially since my stuff will be getting longer.

Olympic up for next weekend.
2013-06-17 11:48 AM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Expert
Great job on the sprint.
2013-06-17 12:42 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Practice riding and shifting gears in the big ring, small cogs and practice shifting from big ring to small ring. There's no reason you can't practice gear changes on flat terrain. The hills at IMMT are not that significant. You will be prepared.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86