BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-20 1:43 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by IronOx

Dear viral pharyngitis:

Eff off.

Sincerely,

Kirsten

Illnesses suck during training.  Heal up fast Kirsten.

I got food poisoning from a meal Saturday night.  Luckily, I got my run in Sunday morning before it hit me like a ton of bricks.  My intestines were cramping all day and night.  Just about went to the hospital at about three in the morning.  Starting to feel better this evening.

Finally after a week of cramping intestines the parasite is gone! So has the Lingworm. Phew.

2015-01-20 1:47 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Seattle

Oh yeah, now that I have regained control of my emotions... who watched that Hawks game????

2015-01-20 1:53 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Oh yeah, now that I have regained control of my emotions... who watched that Hawks game????

I won't say who I was cheering for but that was a heck of a comeback!

2015-01-20 1:57 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jobaxas

Dear viral pharyngitis:

Eff off.

Sincerely,

Kirsten

Illnesses suck during training.  Heal up fast Kirsten.

I got food poisoning from a meal Saturday night.  Luckily, I got my run in Sunday morning before it hit me like a ton of bricks.  My intestines were cramping all day and night.  Just about went to the hospital at about three in the morning.  Starting to feel better this evening.

Finally after a week of cramping intestines the parasite is gone! So has the Lingworm. Phew.

Glad you are improving!!!!!!!!!!! We get enough tropical diseases with Yanti. Don't need you starting it too!

2015-01-20 1:57 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

Un-real.

I am just blown away with the level headed motivation to keep trying until the clock reads 0.

I struggled to do that as a spectator with much less emotional attachment. One of the very few times I could make parallels to progressing as a human with anything to do with the NFL as an example. 

2015-01-20 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Un-real.

I am just blown away with the level headed motivation to keep trying until the clock reads 0.

I struggled to do that as a spectator with much less emotional attachment. One of the very few times I could make parallels to progressing as a human with anything to do with the NFL as an example. 

Yeah, you have to appreciate a person or team with a don't quit attitude.

2015-01-20 2:00 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by SteveyD Just a fly by hello.... HELLO {melonpresses} to all

Hi Steeeeeveeeeeeeyyyyy!!!!  (that's how it would sound if you were flying by)

Thats pretty much how Yanti writes my name anyway.....

I'm considering rejoining the pod as an ex-manatee as my life has changed massively in the last two months and i'm back getting fit!

NAME: Stephen D. Oddly enough.
STORY: I'm from the lovely Cambridge (in the UK, and yes, Cambridge is where the accent yanks typically associate with british people is from).
I used to be a fair bit thinner, and was doing fairly regular triathlon. Then my gran died and I hit a bout of depression ( I blamed myself for it) , stopped doing all sports and became a bit of a computer addict, and that was a bad time. Last year I got started again before breaking my wrist (fractured scathoid) that is still not really fixed. Took nearly 4 months to heal enough for the dr's to be happy for me to ride a bike again. So i'm pretty much starting from 0 base as of approximately September. Since then I've been doing a bit of cycling, bit of swimming but its all been hectic in life. I've now moved out of my family home, moved in with my girlfriend in a town about 10 miles away from my work (its about 100 yards from her work). Started now taking the bus every morning (which involves a 2 mile walk at one end) and eating much healthier than I ever did with the parents. I'm really looking forward to spring because i'll be able to cycle to work (14 miles each way) and hopefully get a hella lot fitter. Between where I live (St Ives) and work (Cambridge) we have this thing called the Guided busway, This is essentially like a train track for buses, and then the buses can do different journeys at each end etc. Anyway, the point is that the entire length of the busway next to a beautifully flat, well maintained cycle path. ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridgeshire_Guided_Busway#mediaview... ).

My main sport loves are cricket, then cycling and swimming. I detest running though!

FAMILY STATUS: In a relationship (4 years nearly). No kiddies, no pets.

CURRENT TRAINING: Building up to proper training by walking around 4-5 miles a day ( walking from the bus to work/back ). Plan to cycle 28 miles a day, 3 days a week starting around March.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Probably London to Cambridge bike ride (60 miles). Managed it last year with no training (just....) None other yet.

BODY COMPOSITION: Well i'm currently nearly 300lb. I'm not unfit (I do a lot of sport, normal blood pressure, healthy) but would ideally like to drop about 100lb off that. Its a marathon not a sprint but since moving in together (nearly a month now) I've lost 4 lb just from walking and eating healthily.

2015-01-20 2:09 PM
in reply to: SteveyD

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by SteveyD

Originally posted by SteveyD Just a fly by hello.... HELLO {melonpresses} to all

Thats pretty much how Yanti writes my name anyway..... I'm considering rejoining the pod as an ex-manatee as my life has changed massively in the last two months and i'm back getting fit! NAME: Stephen D. Oddly enough. STORY: I'm from the lovely Cambridge (in the UK, and yes, Cambridge is where the accent yanks typically associate with british people is from). I used to be a fair bit thinner, and was doing fairly regular triathlon. Then my gran died and I hit a bout of depression ( I blamed myself for it) , stopped doing all sports and became a bit of a computer addict, and that was a bad time. Last year I got started again before breaking my wrist (fractured scathoid) that is still not really fixed. Took nearly 4 months to heal enough for the dr's to be happy for me to ride a bike again. So i'm pretty much starting from 0 base as of approximately September. Since then I've been doing a bit of cycling, bit of swimming but its all been hectic in life. I've now moved out of my family home, moved in with my girlfriend in a town about 10 miles away from my work (its about 100 yards from her work). Started now taking the bus every morning (which involves a 2 mile walk at one end) and eating much healthier than I ever did with the parents. I'm really looking forward to spring because i'll be able to cycle to work (14 miles each way) and hopefully get a hella lot fitter. Between where I live (St Ives) and work (Cambridge) we have this thing called the Guided busway, This is essentially like a train track for buses, and then the buses can do different journeys at each end etc. Anyway, the point is that the entire length of the busway next to a beautifully flat, well maintained cycle path. ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridgeshire_Guided_Busway#mediaview... ). My main sport loves are cricket, then cycling and swimming. I detest running though! FAMILY STATUS: In a relationship (4 years nearly). No kiddies, no pets. CURRENT TRAINING: Building up to proper training by walking around 4-5 miles a day ( walking from the bus to work/back ). Plan to cycle 28 miles a day, 3 days a week starting around March. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Probably London to Cambridge bike ride (60 miles). Managed it last year with no training (just....) None other yet. BODY COMPOSITION: Well i'm currently nearly 300lb. I'm not unfit (I do a lot of sport, normal blood pressure, healthy) but would ideally like to drop about 100lb off that. Its a marathon not a sprint but since moving in together (nearly a month now) I've lost 4 lb just from walking and eating healthily.

Welcome back and congrats on the healthier choices (and the girl)

2015-01-20 2:13 PM

User image

Master

Steve and Jo glad you are feeling better.  I am seeing improvement finally, now my soft palate is swollen and painful, but not my throat.  And the pain is lessened so that is good.

Mary, awesome deal I hope it all works out.

Matt, very cool team photo!

Adrienne, awesome weekend!

Erin, great photos of the fam.

As for the 'Hawks: I have to admit, I thought it was over with the last pick.  I considered turning it off because I was so disappointed, but thank goodness I was a 'real' fan and hung in because holy moly what a finish.  I loved Wilson's emotion at the end.  Even if they don't repeat, that game makes them champs in my book.

2015-01-20 2:14 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Thats pretty much how Yanti writes my name anyway..... I'm considering rejoining the pod as an ex-manatee as my life has changed massively in the last two months and i'm back getting fit! NAME: Stephen D. Oddly enough. STORY: I'm from the lovely Cambridge (in the UK, and yes, Cambridge is where the accent yanks typically associate with british people is from). I used to be a fair bit thinner, and was doing fairly regular triathlon. Then my gran died and I hit a bout of depression ( I blamed myself for it) , stopped doing all sports and became a bit of a computer addict, and that was a bad time. Last year I got started again before breaking my wrist (fractured scathoid) that is still not really fixed. Took nearly 4 months to heal enough for the dr's to be happy for me to ride a bike again. So i'm pretty much starting from 0 base as of approximately September. Since then I've been doing a bit of cycling, bit of swimming but its all been hectic in life. I've now moved out of my family home, moved in with my girlfriend in a town about 10 miles away from my work (its about 100 yards from her work). Started now taking the bus every morning (which involves a 2 mile walk at one end) and eating much healthier than I ever did with the parents. I'm really looking forward to spring because i'll be able to cycle to work (14 miles each way) and hopefully get a hella lot fitter. Between where I live (St Ives) and work (Cambridge) we have this thing called the Guided busway, This is essentially like a train track for buses, and then the buses can do different journeys at each end etc. Anyway, the point is that the entire length of the busway next to a beautifully flat, well maintained cycle path. ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridgeshire_Guided_Busway#mediaview... ). My main sport loves are cricket, then cycling and swimming. I detest running though! FAMILY STATUS: In a relationship (4 years nearly). No kiddies, no pets. CURRENT TRAINING: Building up to proper training by walking around 4-5 miles a day ( walking from the bus to work/back ). Plan to cycle 28 miles a day, 3 days a week starting around March. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Probably London to Cambridge bike ride (60 miles). Managed it last year with no training (just....) None other yet. BODY COMPOSITION: Well i'm currently nearly 300lb. I'm not unfit (I do a lot of sport, normal blood pressure, healthy) but would ideally like to drop about 100lb off that. Its a marathon not a sprint but since moving in together (nearly a month now) I've lost 4 lb just from walking and eating healthily.

Welcome back, Stevey!!  Once a Manatee, always a Manatee, so hop right back in.  Sounds like you're making some really good changes in your life these days and it's clearly suiting you well.  Having that lovely ride 3 days a week will be an excellent way to start and end your day.  The added bonus is that you'll be all shipshape for the London-Cambridge.  Maybe this time you won't be wearing new kit or worrying about being able to walk the next day!   Hope that wrist heals up soon.  An ouchy wrist can make cycling rather sucky.

2015-01-20 2:18 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Denver, CO

To all you sick/almost sick/formerly sick people - what the heck?  Is it a computer virus or something?

2015-01-20 2:23 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by laffinrock

To all you sick/almost sick/formerly sick people - what the heck?  Is it a computer virus or something?

Man, I don't know.  I had a cold between Christmas and New Years, but was recovered when this badness came on.  What I CAN tell you is that this, along with Salmonella, is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.  Who knew a sore throat could be this painful.  At least with Strep you take antibiotics.  I was taking Advil and Tylenol and they didn't touch it.

2015-01-20 2:28 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

One of the most amazing comebacks in the history of the league.  I felt kind of sorry for the fans who headed for their cars at the 2:00 minute warning.  Most of the game before that point was a little hard to watch. Nothing short of miraculous.

2015-01-20 2:30 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Man, I don't know.  I had a cold between Christmas and New Years, but was recovered when this badness came on.  What I CAN tell you is that this, along with Salmonella, is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.  Who knew a sore throat could be this painful.  At least with Strep you take antibiotics.  I was taking Advil and Tylenol and they didn't touch it.

I had a cold a couple weeks ago. It's mostly done but I can't shake the cough! It's not constant but definitely more than normal.

2015-01-20 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Un-real.

I was blown away by the inability of professional athletes to grasp the 60 minute nature of the game. I was pulling for the other team and could not get over the number of decisions that led to the Packers snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Not to downplay the Hawks victory at all, since they played the hand that was dealt to them and they kept after it. I was really impressed by their collective resolve. And by the toughness of a few individuals in particular.

But goodness, could the Pack have played and coached that game any worse? Oh, yes, they could have been the Colts!

2015-01-20 2:38 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Denver, CO

Ugh.  I had a sore throat that bad when I had mono back in high school.  I was taking Tylenol 3 (w/codeine) and it still hurt.  Sorry to hear that.  Hope you heal up soon!

2015-01-20 2:41 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by cdban66

Un-real.

I was blown away by the inability of professional athletes to grasp the 60 minute nature of the game. I was pulling for the other team and could not get over the number of decisions that led to the Packers snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Not to downplay the Hawks victory at all, since they played the hand that was dealt to them and they kept after it. I was really impressed by their collective resolve. And by the toughness of a few individuals in particular.

But goodness, could the Pack have played and coached that game any worse? Oh, yes, they could have been the Colts!

Yeah. I agree. I won't go as far as saying we don't deserve the win, because we do. But we were not our best that game. Not one individual was. Except maybe Jon Ryan  

They did make some terrible decisions but they also had some really bad luck. I mean, that onside kick? Us making that catch for the 2 point conversion? Even the winning touchdown...they had him completely wrapped up and he still made that catch. 

2015-01-20 2:47 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Un-real.

Yeah. I agree. I won't go as far as saying we don't deserve the win, because we do. But we were not our best that game. Not one individual was. Except maybe Jon Ryan  

They did make some terrible decisions but they also had some really bad luck. I mean, that onside kick? Us making that catch for the 2 point conversion? Even the winning touchdown...they had him completely wrapped up and he still made that catch. 

That's what made this so miraculous.  In addition to effort, coaching, etc. something else had to happen and that was luck.  So many odds defying plays that ALL went how they would have to in order to win.  Rarely happens do you get such a string of events play out like that. 

2015-01-20 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge

Welcome back, Stevey!!  Once a Manatee, always a Manatee, so hop right back in.  Sounds like you're making some really good changes in your life these days and it's clearly suiting you well.  Having that lovely ride 3 days a week will be an excellent way to start and end your day.  The added bonus is that you'll be all shipshape for the London-Cambridge.  Maybe this time you won't be wearing new kit or worrying about being able to walk the next day!   Hope that wrist heals up soon.  An ouchy wrist can make cycling rather sucky.

Indeed. London to camb was fun... painful but fun. I was nearly 5 hours for a 60 mile ride so was a bit disappointed but nevermind. Aiming for 4 this time.
Thanks to all the lovely welcome(backs)

I'm afraid I have no idea what this American football game you're talking about is - is there ay outube link or anything?
2015-01-20 2:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Watch the onsides kick again. The catch is supposed to be made by Jordy Nelson, the little guy in the picture below and the Packers #1 receiver. The other guy is a blocker. Instead, the fellow that was supposed to be blocking decided to try to catch the ball. That created two issues. 1) Jordy couldn't catch it. 2) No one blocked the Hawks Mathews, who recovered the ball. 

There were a number of other plays like that, but in the end, the Hawks were the better team. Congratulations!!!  Now please beat the Patriots. And yes, Jon Ryan is way cool! Punters throwing TD passes rock!

The winning TD is especially impressive given the production of Kearse throughout the game. Russell Wilson has ice water in his veins.

Edited by cdban66 2015-01-20 3:01 PM
2015-01-20 3:00 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Watch the onsides kick again. The catch is supposed to be made by Jordy Nelson, the little guy in the picture below and the Packers #1 receiver. The other guy is a blocker. Instead, the fellow that was supposed to be blocking decided to try to catch the ball. That created two issues. 1) Jordy couldn't catch it. 2) No one blocked the Hawks Mathews, who recovered the ball. 

There were a number of other plays like that, but in the end, the Hawks were the better team. Congratulations!!!  Now please beat the Patriots. And yes, Jon Ryan is way cool! Punters throwing TD passes rock!

I'm looking forward to not being emotionally invested at the Super Bowl Party

2015-01-20 3:05 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

It will be hard for me not to be emotional with blue and green face paint on.

2015-01-20 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Consider me a member of 'Hawks Nation due to my intense hatred of that whiny, insufferable jerk Brady and that cheatin', insufferable jerk Bellichick.  And you have cool uniforms, so you got that, too.  :-)

2015-01-20 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Well, you can take the boy out of Boston, but...  I'll have my RWB colors on.  I am mostly just hoping for a great game, but admit I'm routing as hard as I can route for any group of people I don't personally know to beat another group of people I don't personally know, very few of whom actually hail from their team's nominal location, at a nice Sunday evening game. 

That said, "GO PATS"  (couldn't help it

As for the Seattle game, good on 'em for playing a WHOLE game!  Well deserved. 

Taking nothing away from Seattle (more directed at the Pack), is there anyone here that has played a team sport that has NOT heard a coach scream at them that "The play isn't over until the whistle and the game isn't over until the clock reads zero!"??  GB's a great team, but don't take your shoulder pads off before the buzzer...  Just sayin'.

Matt

2015-01-20 3:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Consider me a member of 'Hawks Nation due to my intense hatred of that whiny, insufferable jerk Brady and that cheatin', insufferable jerk Bellichick.  And you have cool uniforms, so you got that, too.  :-)

We welcome you, Mike

You know, I respect Brady. I even kind of like him. But his attitude alone separates us from the Pats. I think it will be a real factor. I don't think the LOB will have to work hard to get him flustered/ frustrated and pouting. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-01-20 3:46 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55461 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.