2009-03-10 7:06 AM
in reply to: #2007635

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED
TrevorC - 2009-03-09 11:34 PM

I AM A TRIATHLETE!!!!

I'll fill you all in tomorrow morning....but 1hr27min and 40some secs. I had an awesome time, and ran like GUMP...under 25 minutes 5km...

Woo hoo! very nice, can't wait to hear the details.

2009-03-10 8:08 AM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Way to go Trevor.  A little excitement is what I needed to get off my butt and out the door this morning.
2009-03-10 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2007635

User image

Expert
Missouri
TrevorC - 2009-03-09 10:34 PM

I AM A TRIATHLETE!!!!

I'll fill you all in tomorrow morning....but 1hr27min and 40some secs. I had an awesome time, and ran like GUMP...under 25 minutes 5km...

Congratulations!  Can't wait to hear about it!

2009-03-10 8:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats Trevor!  great run!
2009-03-10 8:57 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Well.....Good morning my fellow Triathletes!!(been waiting a while to say that)

Overall time was 1:27:46...finished 101st out of 335 in the sprint..and 10th out of 26 in my age group(35-39) I am VERY proud of myself!! Here's a quick rundown for my peeps though:

Chilly -- (about 5 C )mid 40'sF ...ended up swimming outdoors, nicely heated pool. I loved getting body marked made it feel real. Did the 700m swim in 18:27 which included most of T1.(had a change tent right out the pool with our wetbag.) Then a 500m run to bike( no clips on the rental) but went okay. 45:20 on the bike for 20k which included T2. Bike was a Giant OCR handled well. And FRIG as many times as you practice a brick, your can't be prepared for that feeling can you?? When I hit the line and jumped off my bike, I almost fell over from jellylegs! Then got out running, and man I was impressed with it. My pace for the 1st k was wayyy quicker than I had run in training but i stayed with it. my fastest 5k was 27 in training, but I ran it in 24:01....I was floored when I saw that time. Got a wee bit emotional with myself about 3 or so km into the run, when I knew I was going to finish.

I must say, I am hooked! Next one isn't until May 10th.

I'll get a race report up this morning some time, but i need to catch up on some work. I have some pics for it too.

2009-03-10 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2007993

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
GREAT JOB TREVOR!

2009-03-10 10:28 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Trevor that is AWESOME!  Way to go!  We are all proud of you!  Let me ask you something.... Can you tell people here that have yet to do a tri somethings that you would do differently?  What worked really well, and what didn't work that you would change?

Again AWESOME!

2009-03-10 10:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
Trevor that ROCKS!!!!!  Way to go!
2009-03-10 11:51 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Ok Steve......here goes:

What would I do differently: 1. Not stress so much - I swear when I jumped in the pool, for my first two lengths my HR was probably 200! After that, settled down and all was good. I was super stressed for 2 days prior thinking about this being outside of my element,etc,etc. But when you get your heats, your seeded with similar swim times, so these people are probably going to be similar to you. 2. Not pack as much - I set up my transition with my helmet, gloves, hat for the run and a few of those CLIF gummies. We had a wetbag that I threw my shirt in and runners. I didnt have clips on my rental so no need for my bike shoes. And then I had half my house with me in the change room prior. I guess its okay to be prepared, but I had tooo much with me.3. transitions - the only time i had actually physically practised a transition was in my hotel the night before. They didn't go to bad in the race, but damn socks are hard to put on wet feet. I loved having my garmin on the bike, an then pulling it off for the watch. For whatever reason it kept me sane.

Do the same: 1. Enjoy it-- I loved it. Once i was throught th swim, I loved it. Was motoring on the  bike, passing people songs in my head. Was great. I loved it- I remember passing this one guy who was all tricked on on his Felt, and here I am on my rental blowing by him. The run was fun too. Seeing people of all abilities out there. When I came out of transition my wife was there, I gave her a kiss and kept running. I really wanted to push myself but I wanted to enjoy it still. I think I left some in the the bag still, but I just wanted to get through the 1st one without suffering. Volunteer's were encouraging and I thanked almost all of them. When they said "oh you're doing great" I really took it too heart(Even though they said the same thing to 500 other people.) Like i said earlier, around 3 or so km into the run, my mind wandered a bit, and I got emotional thinking about how hard i had worked to get to this point. From fatboy to TRIATHLETE! 2. BRICKS--  As ready as I though i was to jump off the bike and run, I still got wobbly. Its something I think you just can't fully practice enough.

3. Recognize your accomplishments-  Thats why i got so emotional. You're doing a Triathlon. I never dreamed that I could do I ...Yes there are people faster. I got passed on the run by this kid who could have been driving a car- he was motoring. There are people slower as well. But there are alll types of people out there doing this, Celebrate it. They guy who was 1st in the sprint finished in 1hr and 29 seconds. 335th place finished in 3hr 33seconds. Iwas 101/335 and couldnt be happy for my 1st!

2009-03-10 11:58 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Great Insight Trevor.  Thank you!!!

If it makes you feel any better.... No matter how many bricks you do in your life you always have those wobbly legs.... The only thing bricks do is train your mind/body to EXPECT the wobbly/bobbly legs..... Still highly recommend doing them!

2009-03-10 12:04 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Trevor,  That is so wonderful.  Awesome job.  I know exactly what you mean about getting emotional. I remember my first tri when I could see the finish line and I thought, "wow, I am really going to finish this!"  Awesome feeling.  Try not to loose it. Every race I do I make sure to find that moment. That should be the point of racing.

One little tip about the socks. I forgot to mention this before your race, but hopefully it will help the next set of racers.  Roll your socks off all the way down to the toes, then put some baby power in them. That way when you are trying to put them on in transition with wet feet, you are only trying to insert your toes and they roll right up.  (Took me 3 races before I learned that trick ) Now I have a little travel size bottle of baby powder stashed in my race bag at all times.  Plus extra safety pins, my race belt, Gu's , Body Glide and wet wipes.

Can't wait to read your race report and see the pictures. We are all very proud of you.  It is great to be able to share your story with people who understand exactly how wonderful it is.  Family and friends are supportive, and wonderful, but until you've trained and raced yourself you'll  never fully "get it."  Be sure to brag to everyone what you accomplished, you've earned it!   

2009-03-10 12:33 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

Nice Job TREVOR!  The way I have this figured...101 out of 300+ would make you one of those FOP triathletes!  Good job,  and I know that if feels good when you can implement all the training that we all have done over the past few months for some of us and obviously years for others.  Looking forward to next month when I can experience this myself.

2009-03-10 12:56 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Awesome job, Trevor!!! We are so proud of you  

That feeling is soooooo rewarding...I bet your cheeks hurt from smiling   Great that your wife was there to root you on and even better that you had the piece of mind to give her a kiss! 

2009-03-10 1:12 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Race report is done!! Pictures and all....Pretty much the same stuff i spewed to all earlier!

Yep Barry that's me an FOP'er...101/335 is the top 30%...I should start looking for sponsorship.Cool

I am very proud but this is totally me--"If I had ran 10 seconds faster i would have been 99th!

2009-03-10 1:19 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

And yes looks like there are a few others out there that are soon to get there 1st one done too. Barry,Janet, Holly,etc. Enjoy it!

Someone said this to me before the race which stuck with me..."Enjoy the pay off of all your hardwork."

2009-03-10 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2008695

User image

Elite
san francisco
TrevorC - 2009-03-10 11:12 AM

Race report is done!! Pictures and all....Pretty much the same stuff i spewed to all earlier!

Yep Barry that's me an FOP'er...101/335 is the top 30%...I should start looking for sponsorship.Cool

I am very proud but this is totally me--"If I had ran 10 seconds faster i would have been 99th!

Or me after my first!  If I had not taken the time to comb my hair I might've been 5th in my AG!  LOL, WTG!

2009-03-10 6:34 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

I feel TIRED!  Haven't felt this way really since I started training in October, but I have felt worthless the last couple of days.  My hams are tight and sore, back is tight, and I just don't feel like doing anything.  Any of you guys ever feel this way?  Suzy commented that my biking fri and sat. probably is cause, but I "think" that the increased cycling volume was justified, and I NEVER get sore from riding. 

I ran an easy 3 miles this morning, and it was NOT easy.  I guess I will try to do some light workouts this week and if I can recouperate. 

2009-03-10 7:57 PM
in reply to: #2009571

User image

Champion
Plainsman AU - 2009-03-10 7:34 PM

I feel TIRED!  Haven't felt this way really since I started training in October, but I have felt worthless the last couple of days.  My hams are tight and sore, back is tight, and I just don't feel like doing anything.  Any of you guys ever feel this way?  Suzy commented that my biking fri and sat. probably is cause, but I "think" that the increased cycling volume was justified, and I NEVER get sore from riding. 

I ran an easy 3 miles this morning, and it was NOT easy.  I guess I will try to do some light workouts this week and if I can recouperate. 

Happens to everyone I think.  Sometimes you just get tired.  Maybe try to back off intensity for a bit but don't skip the workouts.  When I get that way I think of the times before I felt that way and usually the workouts if you don't try to do them full pace make you end up feeling better.

2009-03-10 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2009571

User image

Champion
Plainsman AU - 2009-03-10 6:34 PM

Hey Barry

Beware these comments are coming from an ENTJ (Meyers Briggs), the ultimate planner. A blessing and a curse.

Take a look at your work outs 3/3-3/7. You were sore on 3/3 from your run on 3/1 and then you put in some really tough efforts on top of that, back to back.  While I agree with Tony, that you are bound to feel tired at points in your training, if you have a couple of bad work out days in a row you might want to reevaluate the plan.  Are you alternating hard and easy days?  I know as I build, I try to do that as often as possible.  Are you following a formal plan?  Not saying you need to, but sometimes that keeps the distance and doubles in check.

Also, how is your diet/qaulity of your diet?  I know we talked about that a while back.  I have no problem getting more calories than I need(!), but I know it is easy for some people to fall behind when they are working out a lot and lead busy lives.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-03-10 8:50 PM
2009-03-10 10:48 PM
in reply to: #2008695

User image

Expert
B'ham

Congratulations Tevor!!!! Awesome, awesome, awesome.  I'm getting the itch to race again - thanks.

Apologies for being the absentee member lately.  I didn't realize how much time I spent here during the day and how little time I have for after work.  I'll try to check in a little more often.  Hopefully we'll have a little one here soon to post some pics of. 

Take care everyone, this is a great group - can't wait to be a regular again.  

2009-03-11 6:31 AM
in reply to: #2010081

User image

Champion

yeah x 2 on what Tracy said about rolling your socks.  I can't run/bike without socks so I roll them up and it makes them very easy to put on when your feet are wet.

and Welcome back Matt.

2009-03-11 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2009879

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
SSMinnow - 2009-03-10 8:49 PM
Plainsman AU - 2009-03-10 6:34 PM

Hey Barry

Beware these comments are coming from an ENTJ (Meyers Briggs), the ultimate planner. A blessing and a curse.

Take a look at your work outs 3/3-3/7. You were sore on 3/3 from your run on 3/1 and then you put in some really tough efforts on top of that, back to back.  While I agree with Tony, that you are bound to feel tired at points in your training, if you have a couple of bad work out days in a row you might want to reevaluate the plan.  Are you alternating hard and easy days?  I know as I build, I try to do that as often as possible.  Are you following a formal plan?  Not saying you need to, but sometimes that keeps the distance and doubles in check.

Also, how is your diet/qaulity of your diet?  I know we talked about that a while back.  I have no problem getting more calories than I need(!), but I know it is easy for some people to fall behind when they are working out a lot and lead busy lives.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Suzy

Obviously, I am not following much of a plan.  I guess the plan so far has been to get in as much as I could to get my volume to a point where I feel comfy starting HIM plan in May.  So, I have been winging it and trying to get 2 - 3 workouts in per week and work that around my work and family.  I guess the back to back riding days + working my rump off the following day laying rocks took its toll.  In my mind, I wanted to really put in some volume last week, and I thought the extra volume on the bike would not have much effect. 

On the bright side...I am feeling rested today and ready to go, but I am going to do some light running and maybe light bike on the trainer till the weekend.

2009-03-11 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

I've been feeling really tired this week too, although in my case I think it's just too many things coming together at one time.  Our daughter made the freshman soccer team at her HS so we're dealing with practices/team meetings and getting her everything she needs for that along with trying to get things settled for our son to start college next fall.  We still need to visit 2 campuses so he can decide where he wants to go plus he's involved with 2 bowling leagues and it's tournament time for the HS league.  On top of that and everyday work and household chores I'm still trying to get to the gym or do a home workout 5-6 days a week.  Luckily my husband is wonderful about helping out around the house so that makes things easier.  I'm not sleeping well though which I guess is probably why I feel a little run down.  Sorry, didn't mean to be a whiner this morningFrown.  Hopefully things will settle down soon and get back to some semblance of normal.

I've got a swim and run scheduled for tonight but I may either skip one or just do a short swim and an easy run and hit the bed early. 

2009-03-11 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2010503

User image

Champion
soccermom15 - 2009-03-11 9:04 AM

I've been feeling really tired this week too, although in my case I think it's just too many things coming together at one time.  Our daughter made the freshman soccer team at her HS so we're dealing with practices/team meetings and getting her everything she needs for that along with trying to get things settled for our son to start college next fall.  We still need to visit 2 campuses so he can decide where he wants to go plus he's involved with 2 bowling leagues and it's tournament time for the HS league.  On top of that and everyday work and household chores I'm still trying to get to the gym or do a home workout 5-6 days a week.  Luckily my husband is wonderful about helping out around the house so that makes things easier.  I'm not sleeping well though which I guess is probably why I feel a little run down.  Sorry, didn't mean to be a whiner this morningFrown.  Hopefully things will settle down soon and get back to some semblance of normal.

I've got a swim and run scheduled for tonight but I may either skip one or just do a short swim and an easy run and hit the bed early. 

Hey

If you are going to whine this is the place to do it .  You have a lot going on in your life besides working out so take the rest when you need it.  Sleep is sometimes more important than anything aerobic IMO!

PS Congrats to your daughter on the soccer team!

Suzy

2009-03-11 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2010675

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2009-03-11 10:53 AM
soccermom15 - 2009-03-11 9:04 AM

Hey

If you are going to whine this is the place to do it .  You have a lot going on in your life besides working out so take the rest when you need it.  Sleep is sometimes more important than anything aerobic IMO!

PS Congrats to your daughter on the soccer team!

Suzy

yep that's another thing these groups are good for, feels good to whine to people who understand sometimes.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73