General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-06-16 8:05 PM
in reply to: tasr

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
First of all...I just made a complete jerk out of myself by posting about my foot issue as a new thread in the Iron distance race groups and cant figure out how to delete....oopsie...If anyone can help with that I'd appreciate it.

The second thing is what I was really hoping for advice about. I have a hot spot on the ball of my foot that starts about 50 miles into the bike. I have tried new shoes, made just for me insoles...you name it. Its actually affecting my long bikes and my ability to run after a bike. Any suggestions?

2013-06-17 4:39 AM
in reply to: jsenc2002

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Ugh ... I'm calling last week the Lost Week. I haven't even gotten around to logging it yet. Two flats, and the appearance of a nagging hamstring that is going to need some immediate attention. And it was graduation week for my daughter which brought my entire family out to stay with us. Yikes. Training took a hit.

It was SO good to hear the 4:30 alarm bringing me back to normalcy this morning. I got up to try a run, and had to keep it to a very hobbled 3 miles due to the hamstring. I'm calling my PT today. I took today off just to decompress from the family visit, so I'll try a ride later today. The good news is that everyone who needs to be has already returned or is well on their way home to the midwest. Now it's time to get this hamstring issue resolved and put in the final push prior to taper.
2013-06-17 5:08 AM
in reply to: jmagnyc

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Originally posted by jmagnyc

Is anyone planning on going up to LP the weekend of the 22nd/23rd? I will most likely head up on Thursday late and ride two (slow) loops on either Friday or Saturday. No doubt will swim the course clockwise to get the feel for that and try to get one loop of the run course in on the other day. Also plan on going to the Brewery to drink a pint or three if anyone would like to meet up.

I'm going to be in Placid this weekend - for the Fireman Ironman training camp. Would love to meet up - I am getting there Thursday and leaving on Sunday.

So excited to head over there!!!

Mandy
2013-06-17 5:15 AM
in reply to: BernardDogs

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Originally posted by BernardDogs

Ugh ... I'm calling last week the Lost Week. I haven't even gotten around to logging it yet. Two flats, and the appearance of a nagging hamstring that is going to need some immediate attention. And it was graduation week for my daughter which brought my entire family out to stay with us. Yikes. Training took a hit.

It was SO good to hear the 4:30 alarm bringing me back to normalcy this morning. I got up to try a run, and had to keep it to a very hobbled 3 miles due to the hamstring. I'm calling my PT today. I took today off just to decompress from the family visit, so I'll try a ride later today. The good news is that everyone who needs to be has already returned or is well on their way home to the midwest. Now it's time to get this hamstring issue resolved and put in the final push prior to taper.

Take care of that hammie, hope it feels better soon. At this point you have a lot of hay stacked in the barn so to speak - the PT can help you get through the final push/taper while healing up. Good luck!!!!

Mandy
2013-06-17 9:03 AM
in reply to: manfarr1974

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
Only 5 more Monday morning 5:30am swims to go. Yes.
2013-06-17 10:05 AM
in reply to: alicia123

User image

Regular
Originally posted by alicia123

First of all...I just made a complete jerk out of myself by posting about my foot issue as a new thread in the Iron distance race groups and cant figure out how to delete....oopsie...If anyone can help with that I'd appreciate it.

The second thing is what I was really hoping for advice about. I have a hot spot on the ball of my foot that starts about 50 miles into the bike. I have tried new shoes, made just for me insoles...you name it. Its actually affecting my long bikes and my ability to run after a bike. Any suggestions?

Hi, have you looked into cleat placement? Shimming your cleats? I had similar issues and when I got fitted to my bike I was telling my fitter that I was having a few issues and he moved my cleats which helped resolve my problems. You didn't say you did anything with your cleats so thinking maybe that is something you can try.

2013-06-17 10:19 AM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Regular

Originally posted by spie34
Originally posted by alicia123 First of all...I just made a complete jerk out of myself by posting about my foot issue as a new thread in the Iron distance race groups and cant figure out how to delete....oopsie...If anyone can help with that I'd appreciate it. The second thing is what I was really hoping for advice about. I have a hot spot on the ball of my foot that starts about 50 miles into the bike. I have tried new shoes, made just for me insoles...you name it. Its actually affecting my long bikes and my ability to run after a bike. Any suggestions?
Hi, have you looked into cleat placement? Shimming your cleats? I had similar issues and when I got fitted to my bike I was telling my fitter that I was having a few issues and he moved my cleats which helped resolve my problems. You didn't say you did anything with your cleats so thinking maybe that is something you can try.

I second this idea.  Like most people, I have one leg slightly longer than the other.  Unlike a lot of people, I've had two surgeries on my left knee.  When I learned to walk again after therapy (25 years ago as a teenager) I developed an asymmetric gait.  It showed up with a slight nagging issue in/above my right hip that was helped a great deal when I had my first bike fit.  The cleats/pedals on my bike are not symmetric -- one cleat is built up a wee little bit and one pedal is pushed out a bit to account for my body.  I never would have been able to see it but the fitter played around for ten minutes and improved the situation a great deal.  It didn't "solve" the issue, but it made it tolerable to get on my bike for the distances we are talking about.  I don't know how they are connected but it would make total sense to me that your foot problem is related to some other aspect of the biomechanics unique to you and your body and how your body fits on the bike.

2013-06-17 2:14 PM
in reply to: klassman

Regular
Brighton MA
Will anyone be up in LP June 28-July 1?? I am going up with some friends, were camping at the KOA in Wilmington. Going to get some good training in that weekend. Wondering if anyone on here will be up there during that time. Give me a shout if you want to meet up and ride. Im riding Saturday with a brick, 8 mi run after and Running 14-17mi on Sunday. The more the merrier!

Happy training everyone! less then 6weeks !
2013-06-17 8:10 PM

Regular
Originally posted by klassman

Originally posted by alicia123 First of all...I just made a complete jerk out of myself by posting about my foot issue as a new thread in the Iron distance race groups and cant figure out how to delete....oopsie...If anyone can help with that I'd appreciate it. The second thing is what I was really hoping for advice about. I have a hot spot on the ball of my foot that starts about 50 miles into the bike. I have tried new shoes, made just for me insoles...you name it. Its actually affecting my long bikes and my ability to run after a bike. Any suggestions?

I second this idea.  Like most people, I have one leg slightly longer than the other.  Unlike a lot of people, I've had two surgeries on my left knee.  When I learned to walk again after therapy (25 years ago as a teenager) I developed an asymmetric gait.  It showed up with a slight nagging issue in/above my right hip that was helped a great deal when I had my first bike fit.  The cleats/pedals on my bike are not symmetric -- one cleat is built up a wee little bit and one pedal is pushed out a bit to account for my body.  I never would have been able to see it but the fitter played around for ten minutes and improved the situation a great deal.  It didn't "solve" the issue, but it made it tolerable to get on my bike for the distances we are talking about.  I don't know how they are connected but it would make total sense to me that your foot problem is related to some other aspect of the biomechanics unique to you and your body and how your body fits on the bike.

At a recent fitting, I had shims put in as well, in my left shoe. Slightly different reason than foot pain; uneven pressure on the saddle, shall we say. IT WORKED! That's why these guys get the fees! Everyone, hang in there, get healthy! Let's get there!
2013-06-19 8:12 AM

User image

Pro
Hi all, just popping in to advertise my house at LP. Actually, half a condo. Located 4 blocks from transition, details available upon request, just send me a PM.

I'm basically living at the office these days, so sadly it was a good thing I made the decision when I did. Hope everyone is healthy, because for sure you're all excited and in awesome shape by now!
2013-06-19 8:55 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
I had a bone scan done in April due to pain in my leg. I never heard anything from the dr, so I assumed all was good. I kept running, and finally it got so bad I couldn't run anymore. I have been off for 3 weeks, and finally got in to see the dr again yesterday. It's a freaking stress fracture. He thought his secretary had called me, and she didn't, so I continued to run on it for another 5 weeks.

When you see a walker from the very start of the marathon, that'll be me. Definitely not how I wanted my first IM to go. I will be 9 weeks of no running by race day, so hopefully I will at least be able to do a run/walk combo.

2013-06-19 1:27 PM
in reply to: erincs

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Originally posted by erincs

I had a bone scan done in April due to pain in my leg. I never heard anything from the dr, so I assumed all was good. I kept running, and finally it got so bad I couldn't run anymore. I have been off for 3 weeks, and finally got in to see the dr again yesterday. It's a freaking stress fracture. He thought his secretary had called me, and she didn't, so I continued to run on it for another 5 weeks.

When you see a walker from the very start of the marathon, that'll be me. Definitely not how I wanted my first IM to go. I will be 9 weeks of no running by race day, so hopefully I will at least be able to do a run/walk combo.

OH God that sucks!!! I am so sorry to hear that!! But you have an awesome attitude dispite that situation. It sounds like it is OK to bike with just not run hopefully (not to take away from the run - but at least if you can keep biking that is a good thing!)

Good luck, thinking of you!

Mandy
2013-06-19 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Hey everyone-

I am heading to Lake Placid tomorrow for the weekend. I plan on getting there early enough in the afternoon Thu to swim a loop or two in Mirror Lake. Then on Friday I thought I would do a really easy loop of hte bike course to see the screaming downhill an extra time. Probably swim on Friday as well. THEN Saturday I am doing the Fireman Ironman Camp thing, which is 2 loops of the bike course followed by a run. Sunday I am leaving early after a loop of hte run course.

Anyway, if anyone is around there this weekend and wants to hook up, PM me.

38 DAYS!!!!!! I just peed my pants a little.

Mandy
2013-06-19 4:33 PM

Veteran
Originally posted by manfarr1974

Hey everyone-

I am heading to Lake Placid tomorrow for the weekend. I plan on getting there early enough in the afternoon Thu to swim a loop or two in Mirror Lake. Then on Friday I thought I would do a really easy loop of hte bike course to see the screaming downhill an extra time. Probably swim on Friday as well. THEN Saturday I am doing the Fireman Ironman Camp thing, which is 2 loops of the bike course followed by a run. Sunday I am leaving early after a loop of hte run course.

Mandy

screaming downhill? oh crap. that made me pee my pants more than the 38 days -- but that second bit didn't help either
2013-06-19 7:58 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Originally posted by sheesleeva

Originally posted by manfarr1974

Hey everyone-

Mandy

screaming downhill? oh crap. that made me pee my pants more than the 38 days -- but that second bit didn't help either

Sorry! Don't pee your pants!!!
2013-06-20 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
I'll be riding the course on Saturday ... should arrive to Port Kent via Ferry sometime around 9am. Then a 15 mile ride to the end of the long out/back section before joining the course. I estimate I'll be on the course heading toward Willmington on 9N around 10am. One full loop of the course and then back to the ferry. I'll be adding to the short out/back on Haselton Road (taking it all the way to Bilhuber Road and then back to 86) to get my mileage up to the century mark.

Hill repeats for 45 minutes this morning followed by a 5 mile run. I'm still pretty hobbled and don't have a PT appointment until Monday morning. I think I'll be going with the Piriformis/Hamstring special.

2013-06-20 8:30 AM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Originally posted by alicia123

I havent moved my cleats so I will try that! Thank you! Did you move them toward the arch or the toe?
2013-06-20 8:34 AM

User image

Originally posted by klassman

Another friend mentioned this exact thing to me- assymetry. I do have pretty nasty scoliosis that sometimes gives me some serious low back pain. The foot in question is the same side I have an intermittent tendonitis on. I wouldn't be surprised. This is great information. I will schedule a bike fit and check on the location of the cleats as previously mentioned. Anything to get me to the finish! Thank you :-)
2013-06-23 5:45 AM
in reply to: alicia123

Regular
Good morning all. I am out. Had a bad fall yesterday running (caught the edge of a curb wrong) and long story short, I broke my scapula (shoulder blade). Sort of freakish thing (always interesting to see the ER staff gather around the CAT scan, and hear "we haven't ever seen one of those before"). Luckily it happened reasonably close to my home, and the woman who's car I was running around when it happened gave me a ride. Funny thing is that I was running behind her car as a precaution so she would not "not see" me, as I often do near intersections. In any case, I cannot lift my arm now and am looking at several weeks of immobilization of the joint. Thanks to all for your support these past months, and good luck to you all! Hopefully, I used all of the remaining collective bad luck up! ~JC
2013-06-23 1:23 PM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by jsenc2002 Good morning all. I am out. Had a bad fall yesterday running (caught the edge of a curb wrong) and long story short, I broke my scapula (shoulder blade). Sort of freakish thing (always interesting to see the ER staff gather around the CAT scan, and hear "we haven't ever seen one of those before"). Luckily it happened reasonably close to my home, and the woman who's car I was running around when it happened gave me a ride. Funny thing is that I was running behind her car as a precaution so she would not "not see" me, as I often do near intersections. In any case, I cannot lift my arm now and am looking at several weeks of immobilization of the joint. Thanks to all for your support these past months, and good luck to you all! Hopefully, I used all of the remaining collective bad luck up! ~JC

I'm really sad to hear about this turn of events.  At least going out with a freakish accident means that you won't be due for misfortune for quite sometime.  Heal up well -- so that you can be stronger next year.

2013-06-23 5:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Anyone need a room? I have a room at the Best Western hotel from Tuesday through Monday (6/23 to 6/29) on Saranac Drive which is 8 miles from the start - will consider any reasonable offer. Please pm me or email at cobratodd@hot mail.com.

2013-06-24 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Oh man ... that sucks. Heal up!
2013-06-24 2:38 PM
in reply to: BernardDogs

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
Oh no! Heal up, JC. Sorry to hear this news after all you've put into it. The good news is, there are lots more races ahead.
2013-06-26 4:32 AM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Originally posted by jsenc2002

Good morning all. I am out. Had a bad fall yesterday running (caught the edge of a curb wrong) and long story short, I broke my scapula (shoulder blade). Sort of freakish thing (always interesting to see the ER staff gather around the CAT scan, and hear "we haven't ever seen one of those before"). Luckily it happened reasonably close to my home, and the woman who's car I was running around when it happened gave me a ride. Funny thing is that I was running behind her car as a precaution so she would not "not see" me, as I often do near intersections. In any case, I cannot lift my arm now and am looking at several weeks of immobilization of the joint. Thanks to all for your support these past months, and good luck to you all! Hopefully, I used all of the remaining collective bad luck up! ~JC

I am so sorry to hear about this! That just sucks. I hope you heal up quickly.

Mandy
2013-06-26 4:36 AM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Hi everyone -

I spent the weekend in Lake Placid and it was a blast!! I did take copious notes on the bike course...I broke it into sections - the Ray Britt descriptions are really VERY good, but it is for the old course - for anyone using that as a guide who can't get there, it changed back in...2010ish?? I am not sure. Anyway, just a heads up.

Anyway, I did an abbreviated version of my notes on my blog (I think the link is below if interested) but I could post more detailed stuff here if anyone is interested. Let me know. I don't want to dump a bunch of stuff on the course here if there wasn't interest.

Water temp was 67 when I was there this weekend.

All the best - 31 days!!!!!

Mandy
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59