BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-06-17 12:46 PM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by enders_shadow

One last post (for this morning...)

Aero-drink systems? Seeking recommendations. I've read all the complaints about Profile Design, but they seem to have a big chunk of the market. I've tried looking through the reviews here and elsewhere, but didn't find much consensus on any other system.

I'm considering the Podium Quest dual chamber based on a review from 2010 - is there something better out there now?

I'm not a fan of any aero drink system. It just bothers me to have something in my face all the time.

2013-06-17 4:07 PM
in reply to: cobratodd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cobratodd

Wholly-molly, I'm humbled buy this event and false expectations!!! (Or misguided expectations!) Wow, that was an experience. Going into the Griskus after the Rev3 which was twice as long with similar hills and worse heat, I took for granted how hard an Olympic course can be, and I really let my guard down. The training program that I'm using calculates an estimated finish time based on your current training volume and test results: needless to say, I blew that theory today.(2:15-2:20 versus my actual of 2:29!) I struggled for the first 500 yards to get in my groove with the swim, and then had a very difficult time getting it together on the bike. The run wasn't much better either - again, my reference point is how I felt during the Rev3. So I have to say my Rev was an A effort/result for me, where as this Olympic ended up as a C result with much more mental effort. I couldn't get my body in gear today.(and it was the end of my recovery week too.). I do appreciate these kinds of days because it is this kind of feedback that kicks you in the pants to refocus on the effort. I can almost see where my fast-twitch muscles for higher speeds and bursts of power for shorter course distances, have evolved into the slow twitch endurance muscles to keep me going for IMLP. I've reached the point in training where I just can't wait for the IM to get here so life can return to normal - actually, not sure if I know what that is now. Okay, enough post-race rambling. I need to get my blood sugar back in line.

Congratulations!! I think you did great!
2013-06-17 4:08 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jarvy01

So...I have 0 worries about the swim and the run portions of my IM. The swim will be great. The run will be fine. I am having nightmares about the cycling leg. I am obsessing over this course. I don't have hills to practice on around here, so I've been doing my long rides on the trainer with added resistance. I also focus on changing gears often and keeping cadence high when using small chainring (a 4 hour ride is 5 on the road with stoplights, and I can't be gone for that long anyway.....I have 4 children). Any strategies to cope with my fears? I'm worried.

Hold me please.

Trust your training! You are going to do great!
2013-06-17 4:09 PM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by everlong

Originally posted by enders_shadow

BTW - folks coming down for REV3...

We drove the bike course for hubby (his first Oly) - fairly flat, particularly through first 8 miles. Even after that, the hills truly are just rollers. The road conditions are good until about mile 14 and then for 2-3 miles the road is awful - pot holes, cracks, etc. - but then you get back on main roads for the rest of the race.

(If you look at the turn-by-turn or map for the race, the rough territory is on the 2nd leg of Jolly Pond, the area that skirts the south part of the water.)

Be careful out there!

The beach for the swim is OK - unfortunately it had suffered a lot of damage during the storm the day before (trees down) so we couldn't walk around much. On the plus side, they were clearing the trees while we were there, so I'm sure things will be fine by next weekend.

We didn't drive the run, as some of it runs through campus (and not on driveable roads).

Thanks for the details.

I've pretty much abandoned any goals on performance for this race. Pre-Florida everything was going great and I had high expectations but since it's just been a struggle. The last two weeks work has been a nightmare with issues and I've been on call getting woken up at different times. Couple that with the little one and sleep has sucked. I got 8 hours last night and still feel completely drained. My diet has also sucked with the stress which is my own fault for not being mentally stronger so close to the race. Throw in the ITBS flaring up and not hitting my expected training numbers and I just feel ill-prepared to do my best. So that this point I just want to feel like I ran a smart race. I want my swim pace to set me up for a good race. Clean transitions. A steady HR on the bike. I want to finish the run at the same pace or close to it that I started. Last but not least I want my fueling to be perfect so I'm not cramping the second half of the run like I was in my previous two HIMs. If I can do that I really don't care what my time is at this point.

B-Scott - you are going to do awesome!!
2013-06-17 4:10 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by carrie639

I did a modified sprint yesterday and did better than I thought. I actually placed 4th for my age group, so was super happy about that. Its funny that even though my run is still about 11 min/miles got me 4th because my swim and bike were so much faster than others doing 8-9 min/miles. I was worried because I hammer the swim and bike and start the run out very slow, but was able to pick it back up at the end. Still a lot to learn ... I need to be patient and disciplined, especially since my stuff will be getting longer.

Olympic up for next weekend.

Congratulations Carrie!!!! Awesome!!!
2013-06-17 4:24 PM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Originally posted by DDVMM

So...I have 0 worries about the swim and the run portions of my IM. The swim will be great. The run will be fine. I am having nightmares about the cycling leg. I am obsessing over this course. I don't have hills to practice on around here, so I've been doing my long rides on the trainer with added resistance. I also focus on changing gears often and keeping cadence high when using small chainring (a 4 hour ride is 5 on the road with stoplights, and I can't be gone for that long anyway.....I have 4 children). Any strategies to cope with my fears? I'm worried.

Hold me please.

Trust your training! You are going to do great!

x2! I really think you got this is the bag!

2013-06-17 4:24 PM

User image

I did a modified sprint yesterday and did better than I thought. I actually placed 4th for my age group, so was super happy about that. Its funny that even though my run is still about 11 min/miles got me 4th because my swim and bike were so much faster than others doing 8-9 min/miles. I was worried because I hammer the swim and bike and start the run out very slow, but was able to pick it back up at the end. Still a lot to learn ... I need to be patient and disciplined, especially since my stuff will be getting longer.

Olympic up for next weekend.

Congratulations Carrie!!!! Awesome!!!
You did awesome!
2013-06-17 4:33 PM
in reply to: kr140.6

User image

This weekend first in awhile for me that training fell to the wayside from life/work. I think the break is a blessing in disguise but it is still weird/painful.... we are all pretty addicted/acclimated to all the activity we do . Trying to make a strategy for this week which is gonna be a little tough as I am working on Friday and Sunday and then throwing a big graduation-from-fifth-grade party.....may try to get outta work Thursday
2013-06-17 5:49 PM
in reply to: kr140.6

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Ok where do I start since I have been absolutely busy this last week and weekend.
Carrie, Nice job!

B-Scott! You are going to totally rock Rev3 while I try to chase you down!

As for aero drink systems. I am not a huge fan of my profile design but they just came out with a new one called HC aero. It looks promising and I almost bought it last week. The problem is finding a place that has it in stock.

So last few days have been crazy. Basement inspection went great today and now we can do drywall!!! Baby is scheduled to come out on the 26th of September. Which is the in-laws wedding anniversary so they are pretty stoked about that.
2013-06-17 6:03 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Scott - hit the nutrition and run your race! You have trained very hard for this. You are mentally prepared which will help take care of the rest! Can we follow you during the race?

Jen - I am sure Kelly is throwing in training that will help you prepare for the race, even if there is some stuff done on the trainer. Hitting all the key workouts will be key for you.

I am so excited to be following everyone now that race season is in full swing!
2013-06-17 6:10 PM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by kidtri33 Ok where do I start since I have been absolutely busy this last week and weekend. Carrie, Nice job! B-Scott! You are going to totally rock Rev3 while I try to chase you down! As for aero drink systems. I am not a huge fan of my profile design but they just came out with a new one called HC aero. It looks promising and I almost bought it last week. The problem is finding a place that has it in stock. So last few days have been crazy. Basement inspection went great today and now we can do drywall!!! Baby is scheduled to come out on the 26th of September. Which is the in-laws wedding anniversary so they are pretty stoked about that.

Larkin, if you pick one of the HC Aero's up let me know what you think of it.  I was reading Ray's review of it, and he wasn't that impressed.  

Grats on the race Carrie!

2013-06-17 6:40 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Expert

Scott - hit the nutrition and run your race! You have trained very hard for this. You are mentally prepared which will help take care of the rest! Can we follow you during the race?

Jen - I am sure Kelly is throwing in training that will help you prepare for the race, even if there is some stuff done on the trainer. Hitting all the key workouts will be key for you.

I am so excited to be following everyone now that race season is in full swing!

I'll post my bib # once I have it.. With REV3 you can follow on twitter as well and I'm burblesh on there. I've never made a twitter post and simply follow people but according to REV3 it should post for me. I've loved following everybody as well. It's a lot of fun.

Thanks for the kind words to everybody but we'll see.

Larkin you might be chasing me down only because of the swim but your Olympic was pretty impressive so I think you'll be catching me.
2013-06-18 7:33 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Pro
CyFair
2013-06-18 10:12 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for all the positive feedback regarding the cycling leg of my race. It is what it is. I'll get through it no matter what and life will proceed I've been feeling a little bit of burnout lately. My body is doing fine, but my mind isn't quite with it. I think I'm surprised by how busy my days are with the kids. At night I fall asleep the second my head hits the pillow and I dread hearing that alarm in the morning.
2013-06-18 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job this weekend, Carrie!!!
2013-06-18 10:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by uhcoog

This is kinda crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

I love watching that clip....there is another one I think of him in the Porsche or Benz HQ...awesome

2013-06-18 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Wholly-molly, I'm humbled buy this event and false expectations!!! (Or misguided expectations!) Wow, that was an experience. Going into the Griskus after the Rev3 which was twice as long with similar hills and worse heat, I took for granted how hard an Olympic course can be, and I really let my guard down. The training program that I'm using calculates an estimated finish time based on your current training volume and test results: needless to say, I blew that theory today.(2:15-2:20 versus my actual of 2:29!) I struggled for the first 500 yards to get in my groove with the swim, and then had a very difficult time getting it together on the bike. The run wasn't much better either - again, my reference point is how I felt during the Rev3. So I have to say my Rev was an A effort/result for me, where as this Olympic ended up as a C result with much more mental effort. I couldn't get my body in gear today.(and it was the end of my recovery week too.). I do appreciate these kinds of days because it is this kind of feedback that kicks you in the pants to refocus on the effort. I can almost see where my fast-twitch muscles for higher speeds and bursts of power for shorter course distances, have evolved into the slow twitch endurance muscles to keep me going for IMLP. I've reached the point in training where I just can't wait for the IM to get here so life can return to normal - actually, not sure if I know what that is now. Okay, enough post-race rambling. I need to get my blood sugar back in line.

Congratulations!! I think you did great!

x2! You're one fast dude.
2013-06-18 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran

Nice job this weekend, Carrie!!!

Yes Awesome Job Carrie.
2013-06-18 10:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
I understand how you feel. I've reached a similar point last week after trying to manage several weeks of poor sleep and excessive stress in life. The burnt out feeling came with poor eating and missed workouts = weight gains, that adds more stress with the looming "big one" approaching fast. It has been very helpful to learn that its not uncommon, and racing "your own" race is all that matters. Keeping goals and expectations in "check", adjusting as life changes, is all part of this experience, and we just do the best we can.
2013-06-18 10:40 AM
in reply to: cobratodd

User image

Extreme Veteran

I understand how you feel. I've reached a similar point last week after trying to manage several weeks of poor sleep and excessive stress in life. The burnt out feeling came with poor eating and missed workouts = weight gains, that adds more stress with the looming "big one" approaching fast. It has been very helpful to learn that its not uncommon, and racing "your own" race is all that matters. Keeping goals and expectations in "check", adjusting as life changes, is all part of this experience, and we just do the best we can.

This is exactly how I've been feeling. Poor diet, sleep, excessive stress, groin strain, etc. I just tell myself that maybe tomorrow will be better than today. I hope to shake off the funk soon.

I get what you're saying about expectations, too. I was disappointed in my last olympic race. It's not that I did poorly, but I expected better, particularly after working so consistently over the fall, winter, and spring. I've now reset my expectations for myself. It's a load off my shoulders!!!! It's a miracle I'm even getting the training done with my kids' schedules being what they are right now, and I'm proud I'm able to swing it at all. I used to have a loose time goal for IMMT but I've changed my tune. I don't want a time goal. I'm just going to do my best and be happy with where the chips fall. I'm going to take in the beautiful scenery all around me. IMMT is on my 35th birthday (the actual day ). How many people can say they participated in an IM on the day they turned 35? Pretty cool if you ask me!
2013-06-18 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran

This is exactly how I've been feeling. Poor diet, sleep, excessive stress, groin strain, etc. I just tell myself that maybe tomorrow will be better than today. I hope to shake off the funk soon.

I get what you're saying about expectations, too. I was disappointed in my last olympic race. It's not that I did poorly, but I expected better, particularly after working so consistently over the fall, winter, and spring. I've now reset my expectations for myself. It's a load off my shoulders!!!! It's a miracle I'm even getting the training done with my kids' schedules being what they are right now, and I'm proud I'm able to swing it at all. I used to have a loose time goal for IMMT but I've changed my tune. I don't want a time goal. I'm just going to do my best and be happy with where the chips fall. I'm going to take in the beautiful scenery all around me. IMMT is on my 35th birthday (the actual day ). How many people can say they participated in an IM on the day they turned 35? Pretty cool if you ask me!

I too can empathize with everything that people/you have shared. Never having done a tri and being new to training, I had no idea what to expect so my expectations were modest. Over the past several months my expectations have changed and seem to continually change for my HIM. It ranges from panic and doubt (I just want to finish) to a competitive confidence (I want to finish at xxxx time). When I hear people offer support to others in the form of Trust Your Training - it does not seem to stick so well with me because I have no idea what doing a HIM is like...so its harder for me to simply relax and trust in the work I have been doing.

2013-06-18 11:16 AM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by ccmpsyd
Originally posted by cobratodd I understand how you feel. I've reached a similar point last week after trying to manage several weeks of poor sleep and excessive stress in life. The burnt out feeling came with poor eating and missed workouts = weight gains, that adds more stress with the looming "big one" approaching fast. It has been very helpful to learn that its not uncommon, and racing "your own" race is all that matters. Keeping goals and expectations in "check", adjusting as life changes, is all part of this experience, and we just do the best we can.
This is exactly how I've been feeling. Poor diet, sleep, excessive stress, groin strain, etc. I just tell myself that maybe tomorrow will be better than today. I hope to shake off the funk soon. I get what you're saying about expectations, too. I was disappointed in my last olympic race. It's not that I did poorly, but I expected better, particularly after working so consistently over the fall, winter, and spring. I've now reset my expectations for myself. It's a load off my shoulders!!!! It's a miracle I'm even getting the training done with my kids' schedules being what they are right now, and I'm proud I'm able to swing it at all. I used to have a loose time goal for IMMT but I've changed my tune. I don't want a time goal. I'm just going to do my best and be happy with where the chips fall. I'm going to take in the beautiful scenery all around me. IMMT is on my 35th birthday (the actual day ). How many people can say they participated in an IM on the day they turned 35? Pretty cool if you ask me!
I too can empathize with everything that people/you have shared. Never having done a tri and being new to training, I had no idea what to expect so my expectations were modest. Over the past several months my expectations have changed and seem to continually change for my HIM. It ranges from panic and doubt (I just want to finish) to a competitive confidence (I want to finish at xxxx time). When I hear people offer support to others in the form of Trust Your Training - it does not seem to stick so well with me because I have no idea what doing a HIM is like...so its harder for me to simply relax and trust in the work I have been doing.

I'm right there with all of you.  Being brand new to all of this, and things having changed drastically for me between each of my four races, I've had little idea what to expect.  I've basically had a "just finish, and try to do better than the last time" mentality for each of my races, and haven't had any goals to push towards other than finishing.  I think it's been good for me though as there's been no real disappointment in myself, just a little frustration here and there.

2013-06-18 12:04 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
I'm not burned out - the opposite in fact. I'm having a hard time losing vacation mentality. (Not to mention vacation eating...)

I'm working to follow my plan this week, although going to W'burg REV3 with spouse will make things a little nuts. Hoping to train around his schedule.

Had my last private swim lesson last week (at least the last I've paid for thus far)...the coach said that I've improved a bunch and the owner of the company that I took lessons through said the same thing as well. It seems my problem now is just one of strength. I have good form but I don't push enough water so I'm not going as far per stroke as I should be. Does that make sense?

(I've always had puny arms...never could pass the flexed arm hang for President's Physical Fitness test in grade school, let alone do a pullup.)
2013-06-18 3:03 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by mleech77

Originally posted by ccmpsyd
Originally posted by cobratodd I understand how you feel. I've reached a similar point last week after trying to manage several weeks of poor sleep and excessive stress in life. The burnt out feeling came with poor eating and missed workouts = weight gains, that adds more stress with the looming "big one" approaching fast. It has been very helpful to learn that its not uncommon, and racing "your own" race is all that matters. Keeping goals and expectations in "check", adjusting as life changes, is all part of this experience, and we just do the best we can.
This is exactly how I've been feeling. Poor diet, sleep, excessive stress, groin strain, etc. I just tell myself that maybe tomorrow will be better than today. I hope to shake off the funk soon. I get what you're saying about expectations, too. I was disappointed in my last olympic race. It's not that I did poorly, but I expected better, particularly after working so consistently over the fall, winter, and spring. I've now reset my expectations for myself. It's a load off my shoulders!!!! It's a miracle I'm even getting the training done with my kids' schedules being what they are right now, and I'm proud I'm able to swing it at all. I used to have a loose time goal for IMMT but I've changed my tune. I don't want a time goal. I'm just going to do my best and be happy with where the chips fall. I'm going to take in the beautiful scenery all around me. IMMT is on my 35th birthday (the actual day ). How many people can say they participated in an IM on the day they turned 35? Pretty cool if you ask me!

I'm right there with all of you.  Being brand new to all of this, and things having changed drastically for me between each of my four races, I've had little idea what to expect.  I've basically had a "just finish, and try to do better than the last time" mentality for each of my races, and haven't had any goals to push towards other than finishing.  I think it's been good for me though as there's been no real disappointment in myself, just a little frustration here and there.

So as to the burn out.  I don't for some reason.  That said after IMTX smaller events seem somewhat anti-climatic.  I'm sure that will wear off, but getting up for my sprint last weekend was difficult.

Setting realistic expectations is difficult.  It's just recently I've found the handle on what to set as goals and expectations for events.  Cindy used to ask me when I thought I'd complete a leg so that she and the girls could see me.  Her rule was to always tack on 2-10 minutes to each projected time based on distance.  I'm one who expects a lot out of myself and I set very aggressive goals. 

2013-06-18 4:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
On a positive note, my kids have their first swim meet on Thursday . We get event schedule tomorrow. After watching yesterday's time trials, I think my son is going to get stuck with fly. LOL. Seeing the 6 years olds swim their hearts out is so cute. 25 yards is like a mile to them. My daughter is picking it up. I'm one proud mama! Swimming is a difficult sport for young ones.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86