BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2010-11-23 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3138641

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
Hello everyone. Sorry I have not posted much.

My bursitis diagnosis has made me re-evaluate where I am at in triathlon. Unlike my first year, which was a blast, this past year has been a struggle. I got virtually all of my workouts in but my run was crap all year. Some of you may remember I had issues with my back, my calves and my ankle.

Well, after I got the bursitis diagnosis, I took it upon myself to seek out a PT (Thanks Tracy!) Surprise, surprise, my body parts are somehow connected! Since my pain is on one side the question was “am I out of balance.” The answer is “YES!” I have issues. First, my legs are of different lengths. Second, I have VERY flat feet (No arch at all.) Third, my hips are out of alignment. Fourth I am not very flexible. Fifth, I have some severely tight muscles.

Some of these issues are interrelated. We are working on fixing my misalignments through PT and exercises. I am stretching to improve my flexibility. I will start serious yoga in December. Eventually we are going to examine my actual running. It has been hard to maintain some focus since apparently everything about my running is out of whack! I am taking the right steps to improve things, but I now have better understanding of what many of you have gone through in the past two years when struggling with similar issues and injuries. I am determined to have a good year in 2011. I will rebuild myself and come back better than before. It is just hard sometimes when I cannot run much or very well for now.

Doug

Edited by DougRob 2010-11-23 9:29 AM

2010-11-23 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3222719

User image

Extreme Veteran
SSMinnow - 2010-11-23 6:28 AM YES, I am well aware it's not Wednesday, but I'm going to pop a question anyway......

What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving holiday????? and don't feel compelled to limit it to one thing....and I swear it Fatty says beer I am flying to GA to KHA.

Going to Missouri for a short visit with my mom and some extended family there.  A cold front is coming through so it will be a big change...80's today here in Houston....will be in the 20's and 30's Thanksgiving morning up there.  Plan to get a run in on Friday to take advantage of the cooler temps and the hills there....legit hill training for a change.  Sorry, no beer here....my family is VERY dry.

So, I am thankful that I can do what I can do, as slow as it is sometimes, and enjoy it too.  And for family and good times with them too. 

Edited by gdctex 2010-11-23 9:50 AM
2010-11-23 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3222990

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wow....all the parts are interconnected for sure.....the hard part is finding the source from which all the other issues cascade from.  It looks like you are on the road to addressing them and be stronger for the effort.  Good luck with the yoga.  That can be very challenging. 

DougRob - 2010-11-23 9:27 AM Hello everyone. Sorry I have not posted much.

My bursitis diagnosis has made me re-evaluate where I am at in triathlon. Unlike my first year, which was a blast, this past year has been a struggle. I got virtually all of my workouts in but my run was crap all year. Some of you may remember I had issues with my back, my calves and my ankle.

Well, after I got the bursitis diagnosis, I took it upon myself to seek out a PT (Thanks Tracy!) Surprise, surprise, my body parts are somehow connected! Since my pain is on one side the question was “am I out of balance.” The answer is “YES!” I have issues. First, my legs are of different lengths. Second, I have VERY flat feet (No arch at all.) Third, my hips are out of alignment. Fourth I am not very flexible. Fifth, I have some severely tight muscles.

Some of these issues are interrelated. We are working on fixing my misalignments through PT and exercises. I am stretching to improve my flexibility. I will start serious yoga in December. Eventually we are going to examine my actual running. It has been hard to maintain some focus since apparently everything about my running is out of whack! I am taking the right steps to improve things, but I now have better understanding of what many of you have gone through in the past two years when struggling with similar issues and injuries. I am determined to have a good year in 2011. I will rebuild myself and come back better than before. It is just hard sometimes when I cannot run much or very well for now.

Doug
2010-11-23 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
DougRob - 2010-11-23 10:27 AM Hello everyone. Sorry I have not posted much.

Doug

Stick with Claire and she'll get you running again in no time!  Tell her hi for me.
2010-11-23 11:32 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
SSMinnow - 2010-11-23 6:28 AM YES, I am well aware it's not Wednesday, but I'm going to pop a question anyway......

What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving holiday????? and don't feel compelled to limit it to one thing....and I swear it Fatty says beer I am flying to GA to KHA.

Ok... my real list because I could really care less about the Beer (sorry for the blasphemy fatty!)  

I have a long list this Thanksgiving:
-  Being healthy and non-injured.  Without your health...what have you got.
-  A supportive and healthy family and spouse
-  Having good kids with decent life goals and good grades...even if act like the teenagers they are most of the time!
-  Remaining gainfully employed and watching my departments and employees kick some financial statement A$$ in 2010
-  Having a balanced and healthy triathlon addiction and the resources to fulfill that prescription
-  Being part of this MG knowledge base and enjoying fatty's smack talk!  (just keeping it real!)  Laughing
-  The mistress and her PT....changing the way I ride for 2011! 

Oh, Minnow...its not Wednesday!
2010-11-23 12:54 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
DougRob - 2010-11-23 8:27 AM Hello everyone. Sorry I have not posted much.

Doug

Wow good luck with all that. A total rebuild will be kind of neat, althought frustrating I bet.
But on the positive side, you'll soon be:

2010-11-23 1:39 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Doug, I would argue everyone in the MG has their imbalances.  Just look at Fatty!  I hear you, I have mine and I just started Eischen's yoga.  Had to back off because of the hamstring, but supposedly it helps strengthen those tiny little muscles we ignore.  Hang in there.  We can be each others crying shoulder.

I kind of layed out my ZEN learnings early in the week, but here's my thankful list:

1. My husband, my new Cooper, my friends scattered throughout the country.

2. Re-establishing a relationship with my 87 year old mom. 

3. My health, while my hamstring is ill, the rest of me is doing quite well and I'm grateful for it.

4. Finally overcoming my fear of water, completely. It is a thing of the past and that is HUGE!

5. Finishing IM, a dream I've had since 2002.

And my fabulous MG for making me feel part of the team!
2010-11-23 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3223598

User image

Master
So many things to be thankful for... and I remind myself of them constantly when life takes me on the usual roller coasters.

Thankful to have two healthy and beautiful children. Yes, they are so tough at times, but through them I have also become a better, stronger, more patient and compassionate person. (And yeah, sometimes a bee-yatch, but that's the yin/yang of it all!)

Thankful to have a husband who is gainfully employed and doing well enough that I can focus on my family, which also includes me.

Thankful for said husband allowing me not to get swallowed up in a life of parenting and homemaking, for letting me pursue other passions that keep me happy and balanced.

Thankful for health, strength, and desire.

Thankful for my dog.

Thankful for my extended family and the awesome people they are.

Thankful for books.

And coffee.
2010-11-23 4:18 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
SSMinnow - 2010-11-23 4:28 AM YES, I am well aware it's not Wednesday, but I'm going to pop a question anyway......

EASY ONE...

(fAM.jpg)

(Boogs.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
fAM.jpg (92KB - 4 downloads)
Boogs.jpg (97KB - 6 downloads)
2010-11-23 4:52 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
I guess I would have to say that I am thankful for something that I did not think I would be thankful for a year ago.  As some of you know due to this fantastic economy that we have had the home building segment did not fare very well.

Well, I did survive that, but we decided to leave our "dream home" and not be house poor.  We moved into a home half the size but on the growing side of town and 1/2 mile from my bike group meeting place  We LOVE it.  Jones has way more kids to play with, the TV, computer, and shower work the same, and my house payment is 1/3=mo money to buy tri stuff.  Oh, and the wife gets a housekeeper 3 days a week ... which, again, takes some of the heat off me.

Gotta love it!  Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.
2010-11-23 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3223993

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Plainsman AU - 2010-11-23 2:52 PM I guess I would have to say that I am thankful for something that I did not think I would be thankful for a year ago.  As some of you know due to this fantastic economy that we have had the home building segment did not fare very well.

Well, I did survive that, but we decided to leave our "dream home" and not be house poor.  We moved into a home half the size but on the growing side of town and 1/2 mile from my bike group meeting place  We LOVE it.  Jones has way more kids to play with, the TV, computer, and shower work the same, and my house payment is 1/3=mo money to buy tri stuff.  Oh, and the wife gets a housekeeper 3 days a week ... which, again, takes some of the heat off me.

OMG.   thanks to this wonderful economy, I'm now the ONLY housekeeper.  Must pause and come back with all of my thankfuls.  Of which there are many.  I'm sure. Mutttterrrrr, mutttterrr, mutter.

BTW, I have a really (way too) big house, way too many places to clean alone.

2010-11-23 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3223472

User image

TrevorC - 2010-11-23 1:54 PM
DougRob - 2010-11-23 8:27 AM Hello everyone. Sorry I have not posted much.

Doug

Wow good luck with all that. A total rebuild will be kind of neat, althought frustrating I bet.
But on the positive side, you'll soon be:

Awesome. Loved that show!

Doug, that sounds frustrating, and I wish you great patience as you rebuild. Here's to a better 2011! 
2010-11-23 6:39 PM

User image

SSMinnow - 2010-11-23 7:28 AM YES, I am well aware it's not Wednesday, but I'm going to pop a question anyway......

There's so much to be thankful for, but I'll keep it to the basics: my family and friends, good health, and the good fortune to live in a country where we can take for granted so much that so many in the world go without. And mountains. I can't see them from here, but it helps to know they're out there!
2010-11-23 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3224090

User image

Champion
marietta
gotta run - 2010-11-23 7:39 PM  And mountains. I can't see them from here, but it helps to know they're out there!

this makes me smile.  a lot.  awesome!
2010-11-23 7:16 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
hmmmm. the pic of kim (and avery) makes me smile even more!!!   KONA!!!!
2010-11-23 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3223993

User image

Champion
Plainsman AU - 2010-11-23 4:52 PM I guess I would have to say that I am thankful for something that I did not think I would be thankful for a year ago.  As some of you know due to this fantastic economy that we have had the home building segment did not fare very well.

GREAT perspective and attitude.  Glad it worked out for the best.

2010-11-23 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3224117

User image

Master
For the record? I am NOT thankful for snowdays. Two of 'em. Before the 4-day weekend.

But I love my kids.

Right?????????!!!!!!!!
2010-11-23 9:17 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2010-11-23 4:28 AM YES, I am well aware it's not Wednesday, but I'm going to pop a question anyway......

The year started out pretty hard when we lost my cousin Cora.  I am so thankful for the support of this mg right here who showed me so much support and honestly helped me to get to the start line of that crazy CA70.3.

I am so thankful for my family and friends (which include all of you here)!

I am thankful for the opportunity each and every day to try to be a better person...a better partner, daughter, cousin, auntie, friend, co-worker/boss, mom, even a better caretaker!  I am not always successful, but everyday is a new opportunity, which I am thankful to have.  

Thankful to be able to push my body to limits unknown! 

Oh yeah, and I am thankful to my beloved Giants for giving Dad and all of us memories for a lifetime...and a chance to bond across generations. 

Edited by kt65 2010-11-23 9:24 PM
2010-11-24 5:08 AM

User image

Champion
HAPPY WEDNESDAY PEEPS...if you're racing, share.  if you're eating some fab for Thanksgiving tell us what it is!

2010-11-24 7:46 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
No racing for me this turkey day or weekend.  But looking forward to eating lots of yummy food, watching football and officially kicking off the holiday season even though I've been listening to Christmas music for the past two weeks.  He He

I am extrememly grateful for my health, my family, and my friends. 

More specifically ...
- I am grateful that I have a husband who is my best friend, training partner (we talk about workouts not do them together), and wonderful father.  And he can whip through a pile of laundry faster than a Texas twister.  :-)
- I am grateful for two wonderful, healthy, happy children who love life and love to destroy our house.  LOL
- I am grateful that my dad is still with us even though he is struggling a bit.  I hope he can improve and be around for awhile.
- I am grateful for a mother who still gives me a 110%.  She is the most giving person I've ever known.
- I am grateful that I am happy and healthy and have more than enough things in life to satisfy me. 
- I am grateful for a great group of internet friends even though I've met many of you in person it's still fun to tell our friends and family about our "online" friends.  I love laughing at the funny looks!

Happy Turkey Day everyone!  Enjoy the good food and family time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2010-11-24 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3224312

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2010-11-24 5:08 AM HAPPY WEDNESDAY PEEPS...if you're racing, share.  if you're eating some fab for Thanksgiving tell us what it is!

THE BEST TURKEY KNOWN TO MAN IS MADE IN MY HOUSE thanks in part to William Sonoma! and I can eat as much as I want of it....18lbs for 6 people....the consumption ratio is good!

2010-11-24 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3224947

User image

Master
Maryland
SSMinnow - 2010-11-24 12:14 PM
SSMinnow - 2010-11-24 5:08 AM HAPPY WEDNESDAY PEEPS...if you're racing, share.  if you're eating some fab for Thanksgiving tell us what it is!

THE BEST TURKEY KNOWN TO MAN IS MADE IN MY HOUSE thanks in part to William Sonoma! and I can eat as much as I want of it....18lbs for 6 people....the consumption ratio is good!

Plus turkey is good for you!  All the sides can sometimes be bad.
2010-11-24 2:49 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
good luck racing peeps!  no racing here.  was gonna rock a 5k but its 40 bucks!  no way jose.
2010-11-24 3:38 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Hope everybody has a great Turkey Day.  For our Canadian friends, have a good weekend!

On my way to the twin cities, so I will be out of touch with the MG.  (On Wisconsin!!)

But as tradition requires.........To all our TROTTERS and RACERS this weekend:

REPRESENT!!! 

2010-11-24 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3225284

User image

Champion
Terps421 - 2010-11-24 2:16 PM
SSMinnow - 2010-11-24 12:14 PM

Plus turkey is good for you!  All the sides can sometimes be bad.

You mean the stuffing, praline sweet potatoes, cheesy cauliflower, home made dinner rolls and pecan pumpkin pie? Nah, almost calorie free one day a year!

GO BADGERS!  GO PACKERS!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 81