General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2012-10-23 7:14 PM
in reply to: #4466220

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
Socks - 2012-10-23 7:42 PM
kaburns1214 - 2012-10-23 3:39 PM

GAUG3 - 2012-10-23 2:54 PM I have always wonder about that.  What is the registration cutoff for pros?  Would love to see more big names in FL.

Florida is tough for pros.  Its a P-1000 race and its three weeks after Kona. 

The way a WTC license works is youpay $750 and can register for as many IMs as you want.  Lots of times pros will "register" if they think they're going to race and then pull out.

WTH is a P-1000 race?

It refers to the pro kq points table under the pro qualifying rules.  Then the secondary reference is to the prize money.

In the case of Ironman Florida the winner receives 1000 qualifying points.  The prize money is 25k, winner takes home 5k. 

More here.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2012-10-23 7:14 PM

2012-10-23 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4466252

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
fattyfatfat - 2012-10-23 8:14 PM

GAUG3 - 2012-10-23 2:54 PM I have always wonder about that.  What is the registration cutoff for pros?  Would love to see more big names in FL.

The way a WTC license works is youpay $750 and can register for as many IMs as you want.  Lots of times pros will "register" if they think they're going to race and then pull out.

WTH is a P-1000 race?

It refers to the pro kq points table under the pro qualifying rules.  Then the secondary reference is to the prize money.

In the case of Ironman Florida the winner receives 1000 qualifying points.  The prize money is 25k, winner takes home 5k. 

More here.

The way the points play out, you really need to win a P-2000 or place high at a P-4000 / P-6000 to qualify for Kona (especially for women where there are only 35 F Pro spots).  Look at Jesse Donovan last year.  She won both IMLP and IMMT (both P-1000 races and still missed out on the cut for Kona). 

With regard to Rinny, she has an automatic invite to Kona for 3 more years.  She just needs to validate the slot at a WTC 140.6 race before Kona in 2013.  Probably she made the decision to do IMFL so she can take some down time and focus solely on Kona in 2013 without having to worry about getting her validating race in. 

2012-10-24 6:20 AM
in reply to: #4466278

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
kaburns1214 - 2012-10-23 7:32 PM
fattyfatfat - 2012-10-23 8:14 PM

WTH is a P-1000 race?

More here.

The way the points play out, you really need to win a P-2000 or place high at a P-4000 / P-6000 to qualify for Kona (especially for women where there are only 35 F Pro spots).  Look at Jesse Donovan last year.  She won both IMLP and IMMT (both P-1000 races and still missed out on the cut for Kona). 

With regard to Rinny, she has an automatic invite to Kona for 3 more years.  She just needs to validate the slot at a WTC 140.6 race before Kona in 2013.  Probably she made the decision to do IMFL so she can take some down time and focus solely on Kona in 2013 without having to worry about getting her validating race in. 

If you win 2 IMs in a year you should get to go to Kona.  Thats kind of a crappy rule.  I don't flollow the pro stuff that closely.........obviously.  I figured the reason big names don't come to FL is that its so close to Kona so I am super happy Rinny is coming!! I met Michellie Jones last year even tho she was not racing and I met Nina Kraft one year too.  No love lost between Nina and the other pros let me tell you that. 
2012-10-24 7:14 AM
in reply to: #3589984

User image

my last day at work until Nov 7th!! People have hung signs wishing me luck around the office area, it's so cute. Anyway, 2 quick questions:

race start is central time, correct?

I don't want to jinx myself by buying IM clothing before I finish. Will there be a good selection of stuff left the day after the race or online? And if going on Sunday to shop is ok, what time will the tents open?

2012-10-24 7:22 AM

Once we exit the swim headed toward T1, where do we place our wetsuits? And when it comes time for the special needs bag on the bike, do most people stop cycling and get what they need? Do the volunteers have it ready or do you have to get off and get your own?
2012-10-24 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4466639

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
DCT76 - 2012-10-24 7:14 AM

my last day at work until Nov 7th!! People have hung signs wishing me luck around the office area, it's so cute. Anyway, 2 quick questions:

I don't want to jinx myself by buying IM clothing before I finish. Will there be a good selection of stuff left the day after the race or online? And if going on Sunday to shop is ok, what time will the tents open?

Correct on Central Time

I now buy before hand if I want "stuff" (on the one occasion I DNF I gave the stuff to a nephew). The selection can go fast on Medium/Large sizes.  Don't forget the Finisher stuff isn't on sale until Sunday so you would most likely be safe on this stuff. 

2012-10-24 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4466645

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member

triplebbb20 - 2012-10-24 7:22 AM Once we exit the swim headed toward T1, where do we place our wetsuits? And when it comes time for the special needs bag on the bike, do most people stop cycling and get what they need? Do the volunteers have it ready or do you have to get off and get your own?

You'll stop about halfway between the beach and parking lot to let the peeler pull your wetsuit off (have it pulled down to your waist before you get there) they will hand it to you. carry it with you as you enter the parking lot start yelling out your race number and head to where your swim to bike transition bag was staged (they will most likely have it ready these guys are good but at times it gets busy, be on the safe side and let them know your number). Head to the changing tent, change, throw anything you want to keep (google, wet suit, flippers , and such) into the swim to bike bag and haul butt.

The SN bag will be ready (there will be a volunteer calling out race numbers about two hundred yards out) look down the line to where your race number might be (kinda figure where it might be... you'll see) there will be a volunteer ready for you. a lot of folks grab the bag and move down and out of the way of oncoming people looking for their bags. I think you'll be able to gage the traffic pattern quickly.

2012-10-24 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4466639

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Yes central time. Lucky you off work!!!  I wish.  I think the tent opens at 7am.  it will be busy and crowded and there will be a line.  On sunday they put the finsiher stuff out.  Before the race they have general IM stuff and some IMFL general things.  Also stuff from last year.  SOmetimes they change brands so you can get some decent deals buying last years stuff

2012-10-24 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4466692

User image

Veteran
aintaround - 2012-10-24 8:11 AM

triplebbb20 - 2012-10-24 7:22 AM Once we exit the swim headed toward T1, where do we place our wetsuits? And when it comes time for the special needs bag on the bike, do most people stop cycling and get what they need? Do the volunteers have it ready or do you have to get off and get your own?

You'll stop about halfway between the beach and parking lot to let the peeler pull your wetsuit off (have it pulled down to your waist before you get there) they will hand it to you. carry it with you as you enter the parking lot start yelling out your race number and head to where your swim to bike transition bag was staged (they will most likely have it ready these guys are good but at times it gets busy, be on the safe side and let them know your number). Head to the changing tent, change, throw anything you want to keep (google, wet suit, flippers , and such) into the swim to bike bag and haul butt.

The SN bag will be ready (there will be a volunteer calling out race numbers about two hundred yards out) look down the line to where your race number might be (kinda figure where it might be... you'll see) there will be a volunteer ready for you. a lot of folks grab the bag and move down and out of the way of oncoming people looking for their bags. I think you'll be able to gage the traffic pattern quickly.

Are the strippers on the sand?  Is getting sandy an issue?

2012-10-24 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4466594

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

I met Michellie Jones last year even tho she was not racing and I met Nina Kraft one year too.  No love lost between Nina and the other pros let me tell you that. 

Dirk Bockel was riding his road bike around the course and he came and hung with us for a few minutes. 

2012-10-24 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4466861

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
gabrelsj - 2012-10-24 9:36 AM

As I recall there is a mat/trap laid out and this was on the boardwalk. I do not remember sand being an issue. I think the "shower" area is after the wetsuit removal.

2012-10-24 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4466954

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
aintaround - 2012-10-24 10:25 AM
gabrelsj - 2012-10-24 9:36 AM

As I recall there is a mat/trap laid out and this was on the boardwalk. I do not remember sand being an issue. I think the "shower" area is after the wetsuit removal.

there is carpet laid over the sand.  there is a shower of sorts but its kind of whimpy.  Have a wet face cloth in a baggie in your transition bag so you can at least get the sand off.  I put on in T2 as well as baby wipes,  Nothing like a clean face to feel a bit better

2012-10-24 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Lines on Sunday are super crazy! Huge line so be prepared to be there by 5:30 am. I'm not kidding.

Even though they have mats at the strippers, it is still pretty sandy so make sure you use the shower real good. Otherwise you'll be riding on sand paper
2012-10-24 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4467367

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

you have the option of keeping your wetsuit on till you get into the changing tent and stripping it yourself.  No sand that way, and if it's chilly then you stay warmer than running wet and nekked through the breezeway to the changing tent.

I recommend you walk through the whole transition thing a couple of times before the race to help you decide.

2012-10-24 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4466706

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Socks - 2012-10-24 8:18 AM

Yes central time. Lucky you off work!!!  I wish.  I think the tent opens at 7am.  it will be busy and crowded and there will be a line.  On sunday they put the finsiher stuff out.  Before the race they have general IM stuff and some IMFL general things.  Also stuff from last year.  SOmetimes they change brands so you can get some decent deals buying last years stuff

So, gotta say...I was FLOORED at Kona that at about 8am on Sunday morning I walked right into the tent...no waiting.  TOTALLY different than my IMFL experience where the line for finisher gear was long very early and by the time I got into the tent most of the XL sizes were gone...that's mostly because what they deem small and medium wouldn't fit a child so all the small people buy the L/XL!

Anyway, one thing I was surprised by at Kona (and since all IM gear tents should theoretically operate the same...) the "athlete" gear that was in the tent for mucho bucks all week was on mega sale the day after the race.  For example, a "Kona 2012 Athlete" shirt that had been $30 in the days prior to the race was $10 the day after...and I got lucky and scored some sizes that fit.  So...I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't want to buy the gear BEFORE, you could always gamble that they will still have your size after and maybe just maybe it will even be on sale!  I know the XL womens finisher jackets go SUPER quick (mostly because a bunch of dudes buy them once the men's sizes are out).

Best bet if you want finisher gear is to be in line early...like I said...I was FLOORED at Kona that there wasn't a line!  Crazy!

2012-10-24 5:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Noreaster possible for Halloween.  I am leaving for Florida the next day.  I really hope it goes out to sea!!  Or else I can't imagine that my flight will be on time or leave Thursday.  Noooo!!!

2012-10-25 7:04 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte

Had a fun couple of days with the bike shop.  Brought in bike for a full tune up and asked them to check on the rear hub as cone nut has been coming loose and occasionally made noise.  I figured just needed to be tightend up correctly.  Get the call Tuesday night that the cone hubs are totally shot. Bad news: felt doesn't make those hubs anymore and doesn't have parts to send.  They "might" have a part they could sent to try out. Bike shop doesnt sound optomistic and if it isnt the right part, i would basically have one day to get a new wheel before I left. 

Bike shop recommends NOT running this rear wheel as is. Said they even had metal shavings fall out when they took it apart.  They also don't have a "training" wheel to sell me, only Zipps and what not.  They check thier rental inventory...all booked for IMFL.  Oh s^&t.

I have a disk cover for a 30mm rim so I couldn't use my road bike wheel or I couldn't use my disk cover (or my 404 front as that would have looked ridiculas).  So my only option is buy buy a new 30mm rear wheel. Easy right?  Well there aint that many "affordable" 30mm rear training wheels.

Luckliy I did fine a wheel at REI (which has a generous return plan) on a 30mm rear.  Took the wheel to the shop so they could check to see it was tru and they offered to swap everything to the new wheel and re-adjust the rear shifting at no cost.

All is good now (and the bike rolls a LOT better) but the 24 hours of added stress it caused was a real PIA!  Nothing a little VISA action couldn't take care of. 

And to Felt: you don't carry parts to a propietrary hub for a 2010 B16 (which is your biggest seller)?  Seriously?

*RANT OVER*

2012-10-25 8:03 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
BT swim 1 week FROM TODAY 8am boardwalk behind the hotel   WOOHOOO.  I will be wearing a BLUE BT shirt amd its pretty much exactly that color. 
2012-10-25 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4468393

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
bgraboski - 2012-10-25 7:04 AM

Had a fun couple of days with the bike shop.  Brought in bike for a full tune up and asked them to check on the rear hub as cone nut has been coming loose and occasionally made noise.  I figured just needed to be tightend up correctly.  Get the call Tuesday night that the cone hubs are totally shot. Bad news: felt doesn't make those hubs anymore and doesn't have parts to send.  They "might" have a part they could sent to try out. Bike shop doesnt sound optomistic and if it isnt the right part, i would basically have one day to get a new wheel before I left. 

Bike shop recommends NOT running this rear wheel as is. Said they even had metal shavings fall out when they took it apart.  They also don't have a "training" wheel to sell me, only Zipps and what not.  They check thier rental inventory...all booked for IMFL.  Oh s^&t.

I have a disk cover for a 30mm rim so I couldn't use my road bike wheel or I couldn't use my disk cover (or my 404 front as that would have looked ridiculas).  So my only option is buy buy a new 30mm rear wheel. Easy right?  Well there aint that many "affordable" 30mm rear training wheels.

Luckliy I did fine a wheel at REI (which has a generous return plan) on a 30mm rear.  Took the wheel to the shop so they could check to see it was tru and they offered to swap everything to the new wheel and re-adjust the rear shifting at no cost.

All is good now (and the bike rolls a LOT better) but the 24 hours of added stress it caused was a real PIA!  Nothing a little VISA action couldn't take care of. 

And to Felt: you don't carry parts to a propietrary hub for a 2010 B16 (which is your biggest seller)?  Seriously?

*RANT OVER*

1-PM Tom Demerly he just took a job at Felt and might be able to help you.  2-I have 2 rear wheels you can borrow if you want.  1 is a base line Mavic aksium but I don't have a cassette on it, the other is a Hed 3 tri pole that has a standard SRAM cassette on it.  I will warn you if you have never riden a HED 3 that it is a RIDIUCLOULY stiff hard ride so please take that in to consideration.  Serioulsy it took my butt about 6 months of riding to get used to them.  Not sure you want to do that in an IM.  Let me know

2012-10-25 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4468465

User image

Master
Charlotte
Socks - 2012-10-25 9:07 AM
bgraboski - 2012-10-25 7:04 AM

*RANT OVER*

1-PM Tom Demerly he just took a job at Felt and might be able to help you.  2-I have 2 rear wheels you can borrow if you want.  1 is a base line Mavic aksium but I don't have a cassette on it, the other is a Hed 3 tri pole that has a standard SRAM cassette on it.  I will warn you if you have never riden a HED 3 that it is a RIDIUCLOULY stiff hard ride so please take that in to consideration.  Serioulsy it took my butt about 6 months of riding to get used to them.  Not sure you want to do that in an IM.  Let me know

Thanks but I did buy a new rear wheel.  I have asked "SuperDave" from ST (he is a brand manager for Felt) for help on locating the part for when I get home. For now, everything is set and ready to go,  Just need to add the disc cover and plop on my 404 front and I will be ready to race.

2012-10-25 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4466692

Ok, so the swim-to-bike bag, this is a bag that we'll pre-pack that will have everything we need for the bike in it?  So helmet, shoes, etc.  Everything?  Don't put anything in transition with the bike, right?  So the bike stuff comes out, swim stuff goes in, and then we leave the bag behind?  So bike nutrition would be in the bag, or is it allowed to put that on the bike on race morning?

2012-10-25 12:45 PM
in reply to: #4469004

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
JM2 - 2012-10-25 12:02 PM

Ok, so the swim-to-bike bag, this is a bag that we'll pre-pack that will have everything we need for the bike in it?  So helmet, shoes, etc.  Everything?  Don't put anything in transition with the bike, right?  So the bike stuff comes out, swim stuff goes in, and then we leave the bag behind?  So bike nutrition would be in the bag, or is it allowed to put that on the bike on race morning?

You can put your nutrition on the bike race morning pump your tires etc but you are not allowed to put your shoes/helmet with your bike.  Shoes & helmet in the bag.  You put your swim things in the T1 bag and give it to a volunteer. 

2012-10-25 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

For all those that travel by air a lot.....major storm is going to hit east coast Mon-Wed.  I am leaving Boston at 0600 Thursday AM (11/1/12) for Florida.  What are the chances my flight leaves on time?  What are the chances I get out at all?

2012-10-25 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4469171

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
MRDAVIDALEXANDER - 2012-10-25 1:05 PM

For all those that travel by air a lot.....major storm is going to hit east coast Mon-Wed.  I am leaving Boston at 0600 Thursday AM (11/1/12) for Florida.  What are the chances my flight leaves on time?  What are the chances I get out at all?

60 to 40 one way or the other or maybe not. I really think it's a bunch of hype and you'll have no issue. however if you do and there is a backup of flights they normally catchup fast on the East Coast routes.

2012-10-25 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Should I try to leave Wednesday instead?

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 64