BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-06-21 8:59 AM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by Kuma

3150 this morning at Masters.  I made a point to do a 300m piece at the end with flip turns at every turn.  I'm slowly getting used to doing that so I'm not gasping for breath after every flip turn.  Baby steps...

Good!

2013-06-21 9:01 AM
in reply to: Rudedog55

User image

Extreme Veteran
Larkin, B-Scott, Carrie and Jen - GOOD LUCK RACERS!!!! I hope you all have great races!!!!
2013-06-21 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Rudedog55

Good morning all, and good luck to those racing!!!

You are gonna have the best weekend of the year so far, that means great efforts and results!!!

WELCOME BACK RUDY!!!!!!!
2013-06-21 9:22 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Originally posted by kaburns1214

• If IMLP was going to be your first IM what kind of questions would you like answered?

Perfect Timing for this - THANK YOU!!!!

1) Why did I sign up for this?
    2) Am I going to survive?
    3) I am headed up there to do a dry run of the course on Sunday afternoon (bike/run on Monday and Tuesday), how easy/difficult is it to follow the course? any markings, landmarks, cell service for the iPhone (Mapmyride)?

I guess the plan will be to do one lap of the bike being totally self sufficient with fuel and hydration, then restock from the hotel at the start of lap two.
    I'm only doing one lap of the run

5) Any pointers for the "Special Needs" bags?
    6) How hard, slow, wait, lines, etc is there at the Special Needs bag area?

I'll be staying 8 miles away from the start, which poses a slight logistical challenge with the time between when I finish and the big cheering effort at 11:59pm. (Actually, that may only be a few minutes - who knows)
    7) Do ya just hang out there in town, laying under a tree in total missery?

8) Will you be there? How many people from here will be up there on 7/28? Any plans to meet up as far as a time and location?

9) Why are we doing this again? Is anyone else starting to panic about all of the missed training days???

2013-06-21 9:24 AM
    in reply to: cobratodd

User image

Haymarket, VA
    Good luck to all those racing this weekend.  Looking forward to the race reports.  I'm going to have a busy weekend scuba diving all weekend so I took today as an off day.  Finally going to finish off my requirements for being a divemaster/assistant instructor.  Next week is my Staycation so finally getting some time off from work.
    2013-06-21 10:38 AM
    in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Champion
    Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
    Originally posted by kidtri33

Originally posted by everlong

Thanks I'm in the 6:50 which still isn't bad. I didn't realize you had to click on print to see all the details.
    No that isn't to bad at all. If you go to the web version when you scroll down you actually have to wait for it to refresh. It is kind of annoying.

No kidding - worst. website. ever.

Last weekend we were trying to navigate it on the phone so we could drive the bike course and it was miserable.

Anyway - you guys are going to rock the race! Remember to post up your bib#s so I can cowbell at you. Hubby will be in 6:40 wave as well.

2013-06-21 12:04 PM
    in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Master
    Elgin, IL
    X2, good luck to all those racing.

I have some near Muncie type weather this weekend, so will be a good test! Been training on indoor training with a space heater on me and my swim are in 78 degree pool. Adding some hot yoga as well. Thanks for all the positive thought on getting ready. ... Getting there.
    2013-06-21 12:06 PM
    in reply to: cobratodd

User image

Master
    Elgin, IL
    Need this for 70.3 too since there are so many of us venturing into newer longer distances this year.

Michelle- anything you can think of now after you have had time to reflect on things you wish you thought of or knew before the race?
    2013-06-21 1:27 PM
    in reply to: carrie639

User image

Pro
    Norwalk, Connecticut
    NAME: Rudedog55 (Rudy)

STORY: Well, most of you know me already, but for the members i have not had the privilege of being in a mentor group with, it is nice to meet you all. This all started way back in band camp, i had a flute....... only kidding. June of 2008 i singed up for a charity bike ride, was close to 260lbs and in poor health, had a hard time completing the 25mile ride because of cramps and lack of fitness, it took almost 3 hours, but it laid the ground work for the passion of biking and multisport. Once home from the charity ride, i started googling stuff to do with my bike, and stumbled upon this site, which would change my life forever. Did 2 tris that fall, a micro sprint and full sprint. The micro took 1h8m and the full almost 2 hours. Completed my first half iron in October of 2009, and have completed now some 25-30 multisport races and close to 100 bike races. Calf injuries have plagued me since the dawn of my tri career, i also fell in love with cycling. After a very promising 2011, 2012 sucked cow balls, i failed at every single goal i had, battled multiple leg, and ITB issues. Even bike racing sucked in the fall. I stopped running in June, stopped training sometime in late August, stopped racing December 3rd and basically went into depression and hid under a rock ignoring everyone and everything for the last 6 months. I battled a very difficult case of seasonal depression all winter and put on 30lbs. Kelly was mad at me because i just flat quit triathlon, and took some prodding on my part to get her to talk to me again. I had two very disappointing and depressing half irons last year, both ended in injury and heartbreak, and i basically said Fucq it, i'm done. 11 months later i started thinking about it, and decided that i wanted another shot at the sub 5hr HIM i now i am capable of doing.

I am a cyclist that does tri's, i make no bones about it. If you have not had the misfortune of reading one of my race reports, i suggest you read them all. i have a unique writing style, tell it like it is, i make no bones and no excuses. i am abrasive to some, and freaking hilarious to others. Each report tells a story and as the years went on, you can see the attitude change. I have seen every end of the race, from the dood that was followed in by the volunteers cheering me on, to the very very front of the pack, with all the pretentious douchbag elitist triathletes, some of whom are close friends. So here begins the next step of my journey, and i am glad to have you all here to share in each others successes and failures.

Oh, and Jenn Jarvis is my BFF, she's me with a vagina and i love her for it. Ive told her so on many occasions.

FAMILY STATUS:Married with a 3.5 year old daughter who looks like mommy, acts like daddy and is bigger than most 5 year olds. I feel sorry for the boys in 10 years.

CURRENT TRAINING: zip zero nada nilch. I started running 2 nights ago, i will run 5-6 days a week, starting off at 1 mile per night. I have 12 months to regain form, and i plan on doing it right this time around.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: none, took the year off, depression, lack of motivation and injury dictated it totally.

WEIGHTLOSS: i was a skinny kid that got fat in college, have been battling weight since my mid 30's. Started at 260lbs and got as low as 202 last spring, currently at 230lbs

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: My lack of Bullschit. i tell it like it is, you may not want to hear it, but i don't really care. Life is not all unicorns, butterflys and sparkly rainbows. We are not all winners, and personally i don't really care. Go out give an honest effort and leave the excuses at work. Kelly and i do not agree on everything, we are fine with that, she is a much better triathlete than i, we will openly disagree on things, and we love the living daylights outa each other regardless. We are personal friends off the site, and i am also friends with her husband, whom when i see again, i will kick in the jimmy, square Rochambeau style from South Park. I have a pic of me in the last 1/4 mile of Quassy last year, and the pain on my face is apparent. There is Shawn in the background with a huge smile on his face laughing at me, he will get his, lol. I am pretty good on the bike, swim a tad better than average, and running has always been my issue. I am thinking this time i'll do it a bit differently and fix that.

Kelly will fill you in on anything else she wants.

Thanks for letting me participate, sooo late in the season, but i think you will enjoy my presence.
    2013-06-21 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Bristow
    Welcome back Rudy! Looking forward to getting to know you even more!

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words and thoughts! Good luck to all this weekend! I will update more later but coach wants me in bed haha!
    2013-06-22 5:11 AM
    in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Veteran
    There is no such thing as anti-fog goggles.

2013-06-22 5:37 AM
    in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by ccmpsyd

Foggle wipes. They work!
    2013-06-22 5:44 AM
    in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by jarvy01

Foggle wipes. They work!

X2. I love Foggle wipes. I reuse mine over and over and they last a long time.
    2013-06-22 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
    Great to hear from you Rudy.

9 minute bike this morning. Off in a few to meet Larkin for a short swim of the course.

The ride down was awfu. Construction and traffic everywhere. Thursday night stop and go in CT, NY and NJ. Friday morning stop and go for entire ride. With 4 kids in the car............AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2013-06-22 10:14 AM

User image

Veteran
    Originally posted by DDVMM

Foggle wipes. They work!

I will try them. Thanks for the tip. I bought a pair of Zogs (SP?) and they are awesome...fit perfectly....but alas...they began to fog at the end.
    2013-06-22 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
    Anyone ever have a near death experience on a ride?

I did today. Was going down a hill...on the shoulder...hit a patch of sandy stuff...tires kicked out which caused me to unexpectedly fly into the lane at which time a car was coming which had to correct rather suddenly....had the driver not been paying attention...I could have easily been hit. It was unsettling.

2013-06-22 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Foggle wipes. They work!

I will try them. Thanks for the tip. I bought a pair of Zogs (SP?) and they are awesome...fit perfectly....but alas...they began to fog at the end.
    [/QUOTE

I wear Zoggs predator flex goggles. They're awesome! I got some TYR nest pros bc they looked similar and were cheaper but I still love my Zoggs best. My husband can spot me in the water every time when I'm wearing them.
    2013-06-22 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Anyone ever have a near death experience on a ride?

I did today. Was going down a hill...on the shoulder...hit a patch of sandy stuff...tires kicked out which caused me to unexpectedly fly into the lane at which time a car was coming which had to correct rather suddenly....had the driver not been paying attention...I could have easily been hit. It was unsettling.

Yes, I have. Hit the pavement still clipped in right in the middle of a 6 way intersection during heavy traffic. Thought I was going to die. No serious injuries but I was jumpy for quite some time after that. Glad you are ok, Chris. It's dangerous riding on busy roads. Always ride defensively and be prepared to take a fall into a ditch.
    2013-06-22 11:52 AM
    in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran

Foggle wipes. They work!

[/QUOTE

I wear Zoggs predator flex goggles. They're awesome! I got some TYR nest pros bc they looked similar and were cheaper but I still love my Zoggs best. My husband can spot me in the water every time when I'm wearing them.

I wear Tyr Special ops and they are supposed to be anti-fog. No way. The foggles work great to make them anti fog though! I get mine on Amazon!
    2013-06-22 4:10 PM

User image

Expert
    I'm bib 763 and Larkin is 587.
    2013-06-23 6:59 AM
    in reply to: everlong

User image

I'm bib 763 and Larkin is 587.

GOOD LUCK!! sending you good vibes!!

2013-06-23 7:03 AM
    in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Originally posted by kaburns1214

Swam - Ran (a whole 6 miles with no hamstring issues) this morning and then picking Texas Scott up with airport and heading to Lake Placid this afternoon.

It should be a fun weekend. We have over 20 athletes participating. I just need to work on my talking points for Saturday.

If IMLP was going to be your first IM what kind of questions would you like answered?

Oh this is so exciting....wish I was up there with you guys!

2013-06-23 1:58 PM
    in reply to: kr140.6

User image

Expert
    Well today was an epic fail. I knew I wasn't going to have a great race because of how things have gone since Disney but it was much worse than I thought. I had a PW for the swim, T1, bike and run. I guess if you're going to do it you might as well do it with style. They weren't slight PWs. The bike was 9 minutes, T1 over 1:30 and the other T1's where as hard or equal. The swim as over 4 minutes and the run over 6 minutes. I'll get into the details of why since it wasn't just fitness or heat but the good news is I honestly don't care. It got to the point where I just knew it wasn't my day and I resigned myself to it and I was just happy to finish. I never thought during a race so many times "I just want to quit."

On the bright side got to hang out with Larkin and Hillary both of whom are wonderful people. It was so nice to meet you guys. Hillary is a total sweetheart.
    2013-06-23 2:10 PM

User image

Expert
    There were two other highlights. The kids ran the chute with me and Hillary relayed a message that Kelly said hello which put a smile on my face.
    2013-06-23 3:43 PM

User image

Veteran

There were two other highlights. The kids ran the chute with me and Hillary relayed a message that Kelly said hello which put a smile on my face.

Sorry to hear that your race did not go as well as you had hoped Scott. However, your A race is in August and I gotta tell you, for me, hearing how you stuck with it and had the "I don't care" perspective is inspirational - it will stick with me at the Pumpkinman if things take a turn south. You have worked so hard and are fit and I have little doubt you will rock OOB in August. Awesome that your kids ran with you through the chute. I want Elsa to do the same. I am sure that they will remember and cherish that moment forever.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86