BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2012-01-27 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4014021

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING
dalessit - 2012-01-27 8:35 AM
TrevorC - 2012-01-27 9:44 AM

I've been riding the Adamo since I got it from Andy. It took a bit of tweaking but was pretty decent for the 3 years.

Not that I want to mess with success, but man those are expensive to buy new.  

This is a can of worms opening... but  Cobb vs Adamo?

Fit preference I suppose.  Cobb does have a 90 day return policy (I think it's 90 days) so you could always try it out and return it if you don't like it. 

If you liked the Adamo and could do an IM "comfortably" on one I would probably stick with that.

Ya its 180 day. I just emailed Cobb. We don`t have a local dealer carrying them that i could find. So i think I`ll buy the AMx from then and see what happens.

2012-01-27 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4013853

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
tahrens - 2012-01-27 9:42 AM

***********equipment question***********

Not that I NEED a new watch, but here's the situation.  I have a Garmin 305 that originally worked great as my bike/run computer.  We have evolved in our equipment accumulation that I am interested in just a running watch.  I mainly track distance and speed.  I want something less bulky than the 305.  Any recommendations? 

P.S.  I'm willing to give up the double watch look.

?http://www.dcrainmaker.com/p/product-reviews.html

From his review the 110 might work for you.

Edited by dalessit 2012-01-27 9:55 AM
2012-01-27 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4014052

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
dalessit - 2012-01-27 7:47 AM

Not that I NEED a new watch, but here's the situation.  I have a Garmin 305 that originally worked great as my bike/run computer.  We have evolved in our equipment accumulation that I am interested in just a running watch.  I mainly track distance and speed.  I want something less bulky than the 305.  Any recommendations? 

?http://www.dcrainmaker.com/p/product-reviews.html

From his review the 110 might work for you.

Read all his reviews on watches.  They are EXCELLENT!

2012-01-27 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4013863

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
TrevorC - 2012-01-27 8:44 AM

I've been riding the Adamo since I got it from Andy. It took a bit of tweaking but was pretty decent for the 3 years.

First, can you really put a price on comfort down there?  Anywho, just wanted to chime in to say that I ride Adamo race on the TT bike and Adamo Peloton on the Road bike.  There is a difference between the two even though they look almost the same.  By design the Peloton allows me to unload my arms more than the Race which obviously is needed on my Roadie.  Love em both for different reasons.  Just wanted to point out that the different Adamo products are in fact different, so make sure you stick with what works.  

Secondly, I know the Adamo is actually a John Cobb design.  There have been many blogs about how both the seats are really the same design at heart, the Cobb just has the nose closed so he could get around his patent with Adamo.  But, you (and I know Doug) would be able to explain that much better than I.  

Just my $.02

Oh, the (are_those_thigh_muscles.jpg) picture!  Now I know why you beat your Husband!  

Edited by badgerintx 2012-01-27 10:52 AM
2012-01-27 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Champion

Need rational thinking advice regarding bikes.

I am in the market for a new road bike.

The part of me that goes on group rides and wants the latest technology, really wants a high end bike, Specialized Venge, Cervelo S5, maybe Madone 5.9 with Ultegra Di2.

The part of me that races 10-15 crit's a year where I see people crash often enough thinks I should get a bike with a much lower replacement value.

Time spent on bike training/just riding around = 98% or more, time spent racing <2 %

I've actually met guys that own zipp's but are afraid to race on them and only bring them out for training/group rides and race on POS box rims.  I don't want to be that guy.

Given that initial purchase price isn't as much of a factor as getting the bike I want  vs. replacing that initial purchase would be very, very difficult, which way would you go?

2012-01-27 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4012684

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
gotta run - 2012-01-26 2:35 PM
kt65 - 2012-01-26 2:16 PM

Scott- I think the idea of running the first 20 with your friends sounds like an excellent decision...that's a pretty big jump from 18 to 26.2 unless you are doing some planned walking...even at a slower pace, with the injury history, it could set off your ITB, which would suck big time.  I will have to look at my logs but I think when I went from 16.5 to 21 as my long run, it was too much of an increase for me with the heel thing...in retrospect, should have kept it closer to 18-19, because my foot was not happy after that 21. (felt pretty good during...I will add).

Agree, especially if the ultra group will be running on trails and you're used to running on the road (don't know if that's the case). Have fun!

Actually it's just the opposite.  I'm the one who is usually is running dirt roads and they are in the city on pavement. This route will be almost all on the pavement. I think that I will plan to run the 26 with the option of bailing out at 20 if things are not feeling good.  I think there is another guy that will be running with us that is going to be in the same situation that I am, so we can cut it short together if we need to.

2012-01-27 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4014336

User image

Champion
dalessit - 2012-01-27 12:26 PM

The part of me that goes on group rides and wants the latest technology, really wants a high end bike, Specialized Venge, Cervelo S5, maybe Madone 5.9 with Ultegra Di2.

The part of me that races 10-15 crit's a year where I see people crash often enough thinks I should get a bike with a much lower replacement value.

Time spent on bike training/just riding around = 98% or more, time spent racing

I've actually met guys that own zipp's but are afraid to race on them and only bring them out for training/group rides and race on POS box rims.  I don't want to be that guy.

Given that initial purchase price isn't as much of a factor as getting the bike I want  vs. replacing that initial purchase would be very, very difficult, which way would you go?

Sorry, responding to my own post, but more fuel for thought.

Just did a search on best crit bikes.

Responses in forums ranged from, bike you wouldn't care if it got run over by a car to posts like this.

Guys crash in road races, group rides, multi-sport events, and JRA solo. Any bike you buy has the potential to be damaged in a crash regardless of whether you race crits or not. I think folks way overstate the "danger" of crits and certainly the amount of broken/totalled frames. Sure it happens but it's not wholesale carnage every week. Then again, that's only my opinion though after more than a decade of racing a ton of crits any way.

Edited by dalessit 2012-01-27 11:32 AM
2012-01-27 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4013863

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
TrevorC - 2012-01-27 6:44 AM

Adamo worked so well for me that I am unwilling to try anything else. It is now on all my bikes.
2012-01-27 11:45 AM
in reply to: #4014345

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2012-01-27 12:31 PM

Responses in forums ranged from, bike you wouldn't care if it got run over by a car to posts like this.

Guys crash in road races, group rides, multi-sport events, and JRA solo. Any bike you buy has the potential to be damaged in a crash regardless of whether you race crits or not. I think folks way overstate the "danger" of crits and certainly the amount of broken/totalled frames. Sure it happens but it's not wholesale carnage every week. Then again, that's only my opinion though after more than a decade of racing a ton of crits any way.

From my limited experience of having both Doug and some friends crash (both on road and from cross racing)  the expense from crashes isn't replacing the frames - its the components.  Of all the crashes no one really damaged the frame but replacing the shifters and a derailleur 2x in one season gets very expensive.   So is it the expense of the frame you are concerned with or the complete package upgrade?

2012-01-27 11:48 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
dalessit - 2012-01-27 9:26 AM

DI2- Too many things can go wrong mechanically, and most of the time it is not a quick easy fix.  I get it if you have a full time mechanic but my 2 bits is it's not worth it....

2012-01-27 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4014388

User image

Champion
swbkrun - 2012-01-27 12:48 PM
dalessit - 2012-01-27 9:26 AM

DI2- Too many things can go wrong mechanically, and most of the time it is not a quick easy fix.  I get it if you have a full time mechanic but my 2 bits is it's not worth it....

The ultegra stuff is supposed to be a bit more friendly.  Even so, surprisingly there isn't much difference in price between Ultegra Di2 and Red or Mechanical D-A (DA is actually more expensive)

2012-01-27 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4013866

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
kkcbelle - 2012-01-27 9:46 AM

tahrens - 2012-01-27 6:42 AM ***********equipment question***********not that I NEED a new watch, but her's the situation.  I have a Garmin 305 that originally worked great as my bike/run computer.  We have evolved in our equipment accumulation that I am interested in just a running watch.  I mainly track distance and speed.  I want something less bulky than the 305.  Any recommendations? 

I'll be curious to see what the responses are. I am currently looking at the Garmin FR 110 for my husband, who "only" runs.

Simultaneously trying to figure out how I could justify a 910xt, but really, there just isn't a way... yet!!

I have been using the FR110 since Christmas and have been happy with it so far. 

2012-01-27 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4014380

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2012-01-27 12:45 PM
dalessit - 2012-01-27 12:31 PM

From my limited experience of having both Doug and some friends crash (both on road and from cross racing)  the expense from crashes isn't replacing the frames - its the components.  Of all the crashes no one really damaged the frame but replacing the shifters and a derailleur 2x in one season gets very expensive.   So is it the expense of the frame you are concerned with or the complete package upgrade?

Very good point.  It's more the frame getting trashed that I would be worried about over components.  If you had to drop down a rung or two for replacement parts (Red to force/rival) for a time, it wouldn't be too bad.

And before anyone asks, no I am not looking at the McLaren Venge (MSRP $18,000

2012-01-27 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4014229

User image

Elite
Raleigh

I have no advice regarding buying a bike that you might crash. Don't we run that risk all the time?

Edited by DougRob 2012-01-27 12:58 PM
2012-01-27 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4014229

User image

Elite
Raleigh
badgerintx - 2012-01-27 11:49 AM
TrevorC - 2012-01-27 8:44 AM

First, can you really put a price on comfort down there?  Anywho, just wanted to chime in to say that I ride Adamo race on the TT bike and Adamo Peloton on the Road bike.  There is a difference between the two even though they look almost the same.  By design the Peloton allows me to unload my arms more than the Race which obviously is needed on my Roadie.  Love em both for different reasons.  Just wanted to point out that the different Adamo products are in fact different, so make sure you stick with what works.  

Secondly, I know the Adamo is actually a John Cobb design.  There have been many blogs about how both the seats are really the same design at heart, the Cobb just has the nose closed so he could get around his patent with Adamo.  But, you (and I know Doug) would be able to explain that much better than I.  

Just my $.02

Oh, the (are_those_thigh_muscles.jpg) picture!  Now I know why you beat your Husband!  

Well, the only patent I am aware of that John Cobb is an inventor of relating to bicycle seats is a design patent D604,056. It is a split front saddle. However, there are many other patents to split seat \s: D575070, D454258, 6193309, D417560. Therefore the D604056 patent is probable very narrowly limited to the design shown in its figures. The assignment records do not list "Adamo" ans an owner, but it may be owned by a parent company that goes by another name.

FWIW There are also patents directed to seats with cutouts in the middle such as 4,898,422. I always find discussions about bicycle related patents interesting as I can rarely find the patents people are referring to. This happened with the He/Zipp wheel issues that come up in anecdotes that people tell ever so often.

So the bottom line is I am not sure what the deal is with regards to patents here. My Cobb saddle had an closed front.

2012-01-27 6:32 PM
in reply to: #4014380

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2012-01-27 12:45 PM

From my limited experience of having both Doug and some friends crash (both on road and from cross racingthe expense from crashes isn't replacing the frames - its the components.  Of all the crashes no one really damaged the frame but replacing the shifters and a derailleur 2x in one season gets very expensive.   So is it the expense of the frame you are concerned with or the complete package upgrade?

PICTURE TIME!!!!!     this happened on the road.  

2012-01-27 6:37 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

S5 and an RS.  after the share the ride deal the RS will be ~600 bucks.  i think it ends on the 31st.  or 500 bucks more to the R3.  crash replacement on the R's is lower than the S, if anything were to happen to the frame. 

edit, just checked.  yeah it ends on the 31st. 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2012-01-27 6:39 PM
2012-01-27 6:42 PM
in reply to: #4013853

User image

Champion
marietta

i picked up a garmin 405 and like it except the strap wasn't big enough for my wrist.  waiting on the extension from garmin.  really the only reason i bought it was because it was on  sale for 60% off on cyber monday.  jarrett uses it all the time an like it a lot. 

2012-01-27 6:55 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

ouch, john.

speaking of wrist strap extensions, is there one for the 310xt like the velcro one for the 305?  Or could I use the same one?   Suzy?  where are you?????  we miss you???????????!

2012-01-27 7:06 PM
in reply to: #4015268

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
kt65 - 2012-01-27 5:55 PM

ouch, john.

speaking of wrist strap extensions, is there one for the 310xt like the velcro one for the 305?  Or could I use the same one?   Suzy?  where are you?????  we miss you???????????!

What are you asking? I got a new band for my 310 which enabled the quick release. It was pretty much the same as the original band. Edit: it was the original band. Just a new middle piece to mount the actual watch on for the quick release? And it came with a round little mount for my bike as well.

Edited by TrevorC 2012-01-27 7:09 PM
2012-01-27 7:14 PM
in reply to: #4015279

User image

Elite
san francisco
TrevorC - 2012-01-27 5:06 PM

ouch, john.

What are you asking? I got a new band for my 310 which enabled the quick release. It was pretty much the same as the original band.

Sorry, rereading my post, it really didn't make sense.

My wrist is too small for the watch band that came with my 305 (hard plastic), so I bought the one that came with the quick release (velcro) and was wondering if they had the same thing for the 310xt.  Apparently they do. 

Now, I'm asking whether the strap I have for the 305 will work for the 310.  Since Trevor posted, I have looked at it online but it's not clear if it would work for both.  Or would I have to buy a whole new one (although not too expensive).  It looks like maybe a new one, since the mount looks like a different style. 

2012-01-27 7:15 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
*** those pics were from from 2009****

sorry for the confusion!  thanks for the love though! 
2012-01-27 7:21 PM
in reply to: #4015288

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2012-01-27 8:14 PM

ouch, john.

What are you asking? I got a new band for my 310 which enabled the quick release. It was pretty much the same as the original band.

My wrist is too small for the watch band that came with my 305 (hard plastic), so I bought the one that came with the quick release (velcro) and was wondering if they had the same thing for the 310xt.  Apparently they do. 

Now, I'm asking whether the strap I have for the 305 will work for the 310.  Since Trevor posted, I have looked at it online but it's not clear if it would work for both.  Or would I have to buy a whole new one (although not too expensive).  It looks like maybe a new one, since the mount looks like a different style. 

check this out.  looks like it should work.  also other options posted.

2012-01-27 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4015294

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-27 5:21 PM
kt65 - 2012-01-27 8:14 PM

ouch, john.

check this out.  looks like it should work.  also other options posted.

Thanks for posting, John! Kim -- I'll be curious what you decide and what you go with. I've just used the 310xt strap (but do have the quick-release on tri bike -- love it so much more than the 305 release), but my wrists are small and I've actually sometimes had tingling in my fingers during runs if it is sitting funny or not adjusted well. I much prefer the velcro -- quicker and easier to do on the run too, if t times matter to you, ha!! I need to find a new solution.

TGIF, all. Of course on my sleep-in day tomorrow my daughter has a 7:10am soccer game, ugh! Good thing she's so cute and I love to watch her play!!

2012-01-27 8:54 PM
in reply to: #4015288

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
kt65 - 2012-01-27 6:14 PM

ouch, john.

You have little baby girl wrists!!! i just Put my watch band on the smallest setting. It the girls were still awake, i let try to fit it on. It'll probably fit some of their little dolls wrists i bet
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117