of 171

2011-01-12 9:24 PM
in reply to: #3296138

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
kt65 - 2011-01-12 10:01 PM

Happy food moment today.  Starving at 3pm...looked at the box of fig newtons but remembered I had brought:

Chobani Greek Yogurt strawberry flavor for a snack!  Yay.  Laughing

what other snacks do people bring to work (i know suzy likes her little egg sandwich but not all of us work from home!)

I keep a bag of Smokehouse Almonds in my desk as my go to snack when I feel the need to eat.  Other than that, I pack several pieces of fruit and the occasional veggie for snacks that get spaced through out the day.

2011-01-12 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Jolly Time 94% Fat free pop corn.
2011-01-12 10:02 PM
in reply to: #3296011

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2011-01-12 8:58 PM Back amongst the living sort of. Finally back home.

Brought the Flu back from Disney, woo hoo!  My daughter ended up missing her Bippity Boppity Boo appointment and lunch with Cinderella at the castle since she got it also, my son picked it up last but now we're one happy germy family...

LOL, I was coughing the first full day we were there so I figured it was allergies.  Didn't have a fever or anything so I didn't think anything of it.   We went to dinner and during I started not feeling well, and pretty much was in bed the rest of the trip.

At least we go to Disney every year so not like we won't be back in 7-8 months I guess.

Suzy, yes everyone wears their medals around Disney for a few days after the race.  At dinner that night you saw 1/2, full and goofy medals at most tables.  People wear them to the parks also.  That's what made us want to do it.  A couple of years ago we saw people walking around the parks wearing them right after the race and Sam said she wanted a Goofy medal for her Disney pin lanyard.

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event_video.asp?EVENTID=74488&BIB=7100&S=230&PWD=

Here are the pictures from the marathon, they had official photographers at the majority of the characters, but we have even more on our camera.  And yes we were cheesy and held hands crossing the finish line.

Quite a different experience from any other race.  Every other person we talked to that was doing the Goofy challenge was doing the exact same as us, stroll through the half, and then have a great time in the Marathon taking in all the sights.  There was more entertainment every mile than anything else I have seen.  Tons and tons of spectators.  I highly recommend it if you want to have fun.  

Only thing is how early you have to be up.  We were staying on resort and still got up at 2:50 and 3:00,  They wanted you in the corrals by 4:30 or something like that, I think it was still dark at about mile 9 or 10 of both races, crazy early.

Off work at least tomorrow, need to see what the contagious(sp?) period is for this, so will try to catch up and get back to my serious posting ways.  I am taking about 2 weeks off to let my body completely heal, Knee issues, Bronchitis, Flu, etc need to all be gone before I get started.

LOVE IS BEING THERE TO CHEER THEM ON--TRUE LOVE IS CROSSING THE FINISH LINE TOGETHER!!!   CONGRATULATIONS!
2011-01-12 10:05 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Single leg drills suck.  Correction, I SUCK AT SINGLE LEG DRILLS!!!!!

2011-01-12 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3296230

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2011-01-12 9:02 PM
dalessit - 2011-01-12 8:58 PM Back amongst the living sort of. Finally back home.

Brought the Flu back from Disney, woo hoo!  My daughter ended up missing her Bippity Boppity Boo appointment and lunch with Cinderella at the castle since she got it also, my son picked it up last but now we're one happy germy family...

LOL, I was coughing the first full day we were there so I figured it was allergies.  Didn't have a fever or anything so I didn't think anything of it.   We went to dinner and during I started not feeling well, and pretty much was in bed the rest of the trip.

At least we go to Disney every year so not like we won't be back in 7-8 months I guess.

Suzy, yes everyone wears their medals around Disney for a few days after the race.  At dinner that night you saw 1/2, full and goofy medals at most tables.  People wear them to the parks also.  That's what made us want to do it.  A couple of years ago we saw people walking around the parks wearing them right after the race and Sam said she wanted a Goofy medal for her Disney pin lanyard.

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event_video.asp?EVENTID=74488&BIB=7100&S=230&PWD=

Here are the pictures from the marathon, they had official photographers at the majority of the characters, but we have even more on our camera.  And yes we were cheesy and held hands crossing the finish line.

Quite a different experience from any other race.  Every other person we talked to that was doing the Goofy challenge was doing the exact same as us, stroll through the half, and then have a great time in the Marathon taking in all the sights.  There was more entertainment every mile than anything else I have seen.  Tons and tons of spectators.  I highly recommend it if you want to have fun.  

Only thing is how early you have to be up.  We were staying on resort and still got up at 2:50 and 3:00,  They wanted you in the corrals by 4:30 or something like that, I think it was still dark at about mile 9 or 10 of both races, crazy early.

Off work at least tomorrow, need to see what the contagious(sp?) period is for this, so will try to catch up and get back to my serious posting ways.  I am taking about 2 weeks off to let my body completely heal, Knee issues, Bronchitis, Flu, etc need to all be gone before I get started.

LOVE IS BEING THERE TO CHEER THEM ON--TRUE LOVE IS slowing down and then waiting for him so that you can CROSS THE FINISH LINE TOGETHER!!!   CONGRATULATIONS!

Fixed that for you.

What did you guys do with the kids when you were running?
2011-01-12 10:27 PM

User image

Master
kt65 - 2011-01-12 7:01 PM

Happy food moment today.  Starving at 3pm...looked at the box of fig newtons but remembered I had brought:

what other snacks do people bring to work (i know suzy likes her little egg sandwich but not all of us work from home!)

Well, since my "job" is often in my car... I keep snacks in there. Not the best choice, but my go-to when I am in need of food and fast is a handy-dandy Luna bar (Lemon Zest and Toasted Cranberry are my faves, although there is usually a Nutz Over Chocolate in case I'm in need of chocolate). When I was doing IM training, I kept a bag of almonds in there too. I usually have a random assortment of bars for the kids and/or me for food emergencies. At home I find snacking tricky. I tend to grab a few handfuls of trail mix, or make a quick open-faced cheese sandwich. Pita chips and hummus hit the spot too. And nearly every day around 2 or 3pm I have about 1-3 squares of dark chocolate.

2011-01-13 5:44 AM
in reply to: #3296260

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kkcbelle - 2011-01-12 10:27 PM

Well, since my "job" is often in my car... I keep snacks in there. Not the best choice, but my go-to when I am in need of food and fast is a handy-dandy Luna bar (Lemon Zest and Toasted Cranberry are my faves, although there is usually a Nutz Over Chocolate in case I'm in need of chocolate). When I was doing IM training, I kept a bag of almonds in there too. I usually have a random assortment of bars for the kids and/or me for food emergencies. At home I find snacking tricky. I tend to grab a few handfuls of trail mix, or make a quick open-faced cheese sandwich. Pita chips and hummus hit the spot too. And nearly every day around 2 or 3pm I have about 1-3 squares of dark chocolate.

Kyla's office is in her car, mine is in the kitchen!  In my quest for better eating in '11, my go-to so far is fruit.  Yesterday it was an apple and orange, day before berries, an apple, an an orange.....I do eat TLC bars if I need something before swimming or biking.  Haven't done it in a while, but used to love an apple in vanilla yogurt with a little cinnamon.

PS. I have a GIANT bag of 60% Ghiradelli Chocolate chips that gets opened frequently. 

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-01-13 5:45 AM
2011-01-13 6:31 AM
in reply to: #3296399

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
SSMinnow - 2011-01-13 8:44 AM
kkcbelle - 2011-01-12 10:27 PM

Kyla's office is in her car, mine is in the kitchen!  In my quest for better eating in '11, my go-to so far is fruit.  Yesterday it was an apple and orange, day before berries, an apple, an an orange.....I do eat TLC bars if I need something before swimming or biking.  Haven't done it in a while, but used to love an apple in vanilla yogurt with a little cinnamon.

PS. I have a GIANT bag of 60% Ghiradelli Chocolate chips that gets opened frequently. 

What's the other 40% in the chocolate chips?

My go-to is a small handful of nuts - usually almonds or walnuts.    
2011-01-13 7:13 AM

User image

New user

Courtice
Subject: noob confusion incoming
Hey guys, i love the forum so far but here's a question for you.  I'm about to finish Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week

I was planning on a sprint in june and july, then a full tri in August.

Edited by peterday 2011-01-13 7:15 AM
2011-01-13 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3296469

User image

Chatham Ontario
Subject: RE: noob confusion incoming
Def Almonds and a apples. Keep a bag of hickory smoked no salt almonds in my desk.

Well Still snowy and slippery didn't make it out running last night, my lovely city doesn't clean sidewalks, and its dark out when I get home so no running on the road last night.

But I did get out cross country skiing last night. MAN I forgot how much of a work out that is, I went out with my Toque on and winter coat and gloves in -10 degrees C or -19 with wind chill ie -2 degrees F with wind chill. By about the second lap of the bush area near my the toque was off, the thick gloves were off in exchange for thin ones and my winter coat was wrapped around my waist with just a long sleeve Mizuno shirt on and the sweat was pooring off me. Two laps and 4km later we managed about 35 mins for two laps. but didn't time the trip to and from because we were not working hard enough for me to warrent that.

But spent about an hour out last night and managed to ski about 6-7km. Tough go after not doing it in a while. I only managed to fall about ohhhhhh 5 times.....LOL

Any that is in range and can do it, I highly recommend it for a work out, plus it was fun. The snow was very light fluffy and SLOW SNOW. which made for a good work out.
2011-01-13 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3296515

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Techdiver - 2011-01-13 8:37 AM Def Almonds and a apples. Keep a bag of hickory smoked no salt almonds in my desk.

Well Still snowy and slippery didn't make it out running last night, my lovely city doesn't clean sidewalks, and its dark out when I get home so no running on the road last night.

But I did get out cross country skiing last night. MAN I forgot how much of a work out that is, I went out with my Toque on and winter coat and gloves in -10 degrees C or -19 with wind chill ie -2 degrees F with wind chill. By about the second lap of the bush area near my the toque was off, the thick gloves were off in exchange for thin ones and my winter coat was wrapped around my waist with just a long sleeve Mizuno shirt on and the sweat was pooring off me. Two laps and 4km later we managed about 35 mins for two laps. but didn't time the trip to and from because we were not working hard enough for me to warrent that.

But spent about an hour out last night and managed to ski about 6-7km. Tough go after not doing it in a while. I only managed to fall about ohhhhhh 5 times.....LOL

Any that is in range and can do it, I highly recommend it for a work out, plus it was fun. The snow was very light fluffy and SLOW SNOW. which made for a good work out.

I have heard that x-country skiing is a great workout.  Also snowshoeing or snow shoe running.  Haven't gotten to try any of them yet.  I have a big field in the back of my house that would make a good place to do it with enough snow.  Hmmmm....might have to check craigslist for some used ones to get started.

Sounds like you got some good cross training!

2011-01-13 8:17 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
peterday - 2011-01-13 8:13 AM Hey guys, i love the forum so far but here's a question for you.  I'm about to finish Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week

That's strange your whole post wasn't showing up for me until I replied, I was going to ask what your question was.  Very strange.

If by a full tri you mean an Iron Distance 140.3 then that should be your focus, sprints will be practice for transitions and such but not really much help in prep.  I would do an Iron Distance plan that ends exactly when your race starts.  That way you are fully tapered and ready to go.  The styles for doing both those distances are completely different, fueling is different, prep and recovery is different also, pretty much the only thing that is the same is you swim, bike and run doing them. 

EDIT: Still not showing his full question that's really strange, I copied and pasted it to notepad so here it is.

"and i'm not sure what direction to go after that.  Do i do a generic full distance program to get the volume, do i do speed drills 2x a week and 1 day work on distance leading to a full tri, or should i get really fast at sprint first and then move on to a full tri? So far i have just been working on distance for a sprint."

Edited by dalessit 2011-01-13 8:19 AM
2011-01-13 8:21 AM

User image

Champion
Oh and Kim, I thought about also why I was so bundled up.  I didn't get out of Z2 during that race until the last couple miles, so the body temp just wasn't up there like it would be for a real race.

2011-01-13 8:22 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

Chobani Greek Yogurt strawberry flavor for a snack!  Yay.  Laughing  what other snacks do people bring to work (i know suzy likes her little egg sandwich but not all of us work from home!)

everything in site,  and i've still lost almost 10 pounds since Christmas.  i like the ironman diet. 
2011-01-13 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3296591

User image

Elite
Raleigh
dalessit - 2011-01-13 9:17 AM
peterday - 2011-01-13 8:13 AM Hey guys, i love the forum so far but here's a question for you.  I'm about to finish Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week

That's strange your whole post wasn't showing up for me until I replied, I was going to ask what your question was.  Very strange.

If by a full tri you mean an Iron Distance 140.3 then that should be your focus, sprints will be practice for transitions and such but not really much help in prep.  I would do an Iron Distance plan that ends exactly when your race starts.  That way you are fully tapered and ready to go.  The styles for doing both those distances are completely different, fueling is different, prep and recovery is different also, pretty much the only thing that is the same is you swim, bike and run doing them. 

EDIT: Still not showing his full question that's really strange, I copied and pasted it to notepad so here it is.

"and i'm not sure what direction to go after that.  Do i do a generic full distance program to get the volume, do i do speed drills 2x a week and 1 day work on distance leading to a full tri, or should i get really fast at sprint first and then move on to a full tri? So far i have just been working on distance for a sprint."

Tony's advice is spot on. A sprint or olympic is pretty much full effort 100% of the time. On the other had a 140.6 requires carefully planned pacing and nutrition. You need to build up endurance in all three disciplines and learn what fuel (and timing of its intake) works for you. The sprints and olympics are good for transitions and getting a gage on your improving fitness level.
2011-01-13 8:26 AM

User image

Champion
haha I forgot .3 there, thanks Doug : )

2011-01-13 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3296591

User image

Champion
dalessit - 2011-01-13 9:17 AM

Also when I re-read your question I forgot to answer.  I don't think you ever have to do an Iron Distance race if you don't want to.  I prefer to go faster in races than do longer races.  For me Olympic distance is a lot of fun, maybe Half Iron, I need to do a few more to see how I like the distance.
2011-01-13 8:35 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

is this for Cobourg? 
2011-01-13 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
For a snack, pretty much always fruit when I'm at home.  But if I'm at school or work, I just chew gum and drink lots of water!  Sometimes I'll have a stash of honey granola bars in my desk, but if I run out, I refuse to buy anything from vending machines.  I have gotten much better about always having an extra banana or orange with me!

I'm STILL sick!  Hooray!  Woke up a few times during the night to have coughing fits, too.  Even better!  If I'm feeling better later, I might TRY to swim at the Y with Ryan.  But it would likely be very ugly!  I may just have to wait 'til next week to start swimming again.

Sam and Tony - I LOVE those pictures!  It looks so cool!  I have a pin collection, too, so when I found out about the medals, I told Ryan that we have to do the Goofy in the next 5 years.  Now he thinks I'm crazy...or...GOOFY! Tongue out  Hope you guys are feeling better soon!
2011-01-13 9:06 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I feel your pain. I rode 1.5 hour on the trainer last night and rain 31 minutes this AM. I have diminished lung capacity right now. Boy do I I appreciate what people with CF must go through now! it hurts to try and breathe deeply. CAn't wait to be healthy. Hope this is not bronchitus!
2011-01-13 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3296722

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
DougRob - 2011-01-13 9:06 AM I feel your pain. I rode 1.5 hour on the trainer last night and rain 31 minutes this AM. I have diminished lung capacity right now. Boy do I I appreciate what people with CF must go through now! it hurts to try and breathe deeply. CAn't wait to be healthy. Hope this is not bronchitus!

I started losing my voice this morning, too, and I thought the same thing about the bronchitis!  That would be just perfect with the semester starting Tuesday!  I've been eating lots of oranges and washing my hands tons.  Hope it helps...

2011-01-13 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3296605

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-13 6:22 AM

Chobani Greek Yogurt strawberry flavor for a snack!  Yay.  Laughing  what other snacks do people bring to work (i know suzy likes her little egg sandwich but not all of us work from home!)

everything in site,  and i've still lost almost 10 pounds since Christmas.  i like the ironman diet. 

Awesome!! Good for you, dude!!

I only lost 2-3 pounds doing IM training last year. I must eat like a pig.

And TONY... you've never told us... what did you do with the kids while you were running? Is this something you don't want to talk about?! Were they stashed in the trunk or locked in the hotel room or something?
2011-01-13 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3295889

User image

New user
Ottawa
TrevorC - 2011-01-12 7:46 PM
DougRob - 2011-01-12 3:27 PM
TrevorC - 2011-01-12 5:15 PM
kt65 - 2011-01-12 3:03 PM
Redknight - 2011-01-12 1:46 PM

DougRob - 2011-01-12 4:12 PM Trevor:

One question: Why is the distance of the race in kilometers and the altitude is in feet? 125 km, and 17,000 feet of elevation change. If you are going to take such pride in the metric system then at least use it consistantly! Wink

If we used it consistently how would we screw you up.   Just for you I'll do the conversion. 17,000 feet is about 5181 meters.

Who cares about that.  What is it in MILES!!!! 

1600 m = 1 mile. Therefore, 5181 m = 324 miles

I am helping my 12 year old daughter with math and we are doing percentages, fractions and decimals, and you would fail my friend! 3.238 miles! Dont feel bad her teacher messed it up to and she's American! Tell you what to make it up to us Americans in the group  mail us each a six pack of Brador!

CRAP. I forgot the decimal point!!

Don't worry about it... it was obviously just a typo. 
2011-01-13 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3295621

User image

New user
Ottawa
kkcbelle - 2011-01-12 5:10 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-01-12 4:14 AM Hopping in to ask the all important question, WHO'S RACING THIS WEEKEND?

For us non racers, it's 12 days into the new year, what are you doing right? what do you need to work on?

Me! Wheels up to Phoenix on Friday and running the Rock n Roll Marathon on Sunday. Woot!

Good luck!! Looking forward to a race report  
2011-01-13 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3296605

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-13 7:22 AM

This post is useless without pics!
10 lbs since christmas seriously? What are you - on the biggest loser ranch?
Congrats!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171