BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2012-05-30 4:08 PM
in reply to: #4235974

User image

Subject: RE: Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED
TSimone - 2012-05-30 10:45 AM

So, I'm thinking about getting tested for body fat and V02 max/LT.  I'm BOP/MOP depending on the field/day so it's not for competitive purposes but I do want to improve over time and train more closely to the appropriate levels.  Body fat is more out of curiosity than anything else. 

So my questions.  Any thoughts on Bod Pod vs hydro test for body fat?  Both are relatively inexpensive, around $30 ish and my reading tells me they're both close in accuracy.  Is V02 max worth it?  It's approx $120 ($70 + kit) and LT (blood draw) is $275 but that includes V02 max testing.

If you were to get VO2 max tested...what exactly do you do with the number?  Are you unhappy with your current training zones?  Do you think that knowing your VO2 max will clarify your training significantly? 

I know very little about VO2 testing and it's applications in training zones, but I think of it like FTP testing.  I don't need to FTP test to know what levels I should be training at.  And at the same time...if I estimate my FTP to be 250, when it's really 254...that really doesn't change my training that much.

2012-05-30 4:26 PM
in reply to: #4236001

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-05-30 5:35 PM
in reply to: #4236029

Pro
TSimone - 2012-05-30 5:26 PM
tri808 - 2012-05-30 5:08 PM

So, I'm thinking about getting tested for body fat and V02 max/LT.  I'm BOP/MOP depending on the field/day so it's not for competitive purposes but I do want to improve over time and train more closely to the appropriate levels.  Body fat is more out of curiosity than anything else. 

So my questions.  Any thoughts on Bod Pod vs hydro test for body fat?  Both are relatively inexpensive, around $30 ish and my reading tells me they're both close in accuracy.  Is V02 max worth it?  It's approx $120 ($70 + kit) and LT (blood draw) is $275 but that includes V02 max testing.

If you were to get VO2 max tested...what exactly do you do with the number?  Are you unhappy with your current training zones?  Do you think that knowing your VO2 max will clarify your training significantly? 

I know very little about VO2 testing and it's applications in training zones, but I think of it like FTP testing.  I don't need to FTP test to know what levels I should be training at.  And at the same time...if I estimate my FTP to be 250, when it's really 254...that really doesn't change my training that much.

Good question and I should have elaborated.  It's not that I'm unhappy with them, I'm just not confident in them.  I "field tested" last year and maybe part of me doesn't trust that test.  Plus, honestly, I'm slower now than I was at the end of 2010 and feel like I started to backslide starting last July.  I began running in March 2010 and made it to a 1:51 HM in October.  That was on 500 ish miles running using quasi RPE.  No HR, just ran.  I would have expected some modest improvement by now and just don't feel it.

I now train by HR rather than by RPE or pace and maybe I'm just not doing it right.  It could be other factors but I thought maybe getting some solid numbers down would help me train smarter.     

Your fitness has changed - so you've gotta field test again!

2012-05-30 8:46 PM
in reply to: #4235974

Payson, AZ
TSimone - 2012-05-30 1:45 PM

I know a top AGer that could probably turn pro who got pod tested.  This girl has barely any spare fat on her at all.  She registered at like 30% or something.  WTF?  I guess I am saying after talking to my cousin who manages the British swim team, and reading this girls post about her testing I decided that body fat is full of phooey.  What the Brits do is just take 7 pinch test spots and add them up.  They just track that, with the goal of it staying the same or going down.

But, if you have easy access and money to spare I think I would do the hydro.

2012-05-30 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4236126

Payson, AZ
ratherbeswimming - 2012-05-30 3:35 PM
TSimone - 2012-05-30 5:26 PM
tri808 - 2012-05-30 5:08 PM

Good question and I should have elaborated.  It's not that I'm unhappy with them, I'm just not confident in them.  I "field tested" last year and maybe part of me doesn't trust that test.  Plus, honestly, I'm slower now than I was at the end of 2010 and feel like I started to backslide starting last July.  I began running in March 2010 and made it to a 1:51 HM in October.  That was on 500 ish miles running using quasi RPE.  No HR, just ran.  I would have expected some modest improvement by now and just don't feel it.

I now train by HR rather than by RPE or pace and maybe I'm just not doing it right.  It could be other factors but I thought maybe getting some solid numbers down would help me train smarter.     

Your fitness has changed - so you've gotta field test again!

Not only that, your second test would probably be more accurate as well.  I know the first one I did I didn't pace it quite right.  I put too much energy on the front and and faded bad on the back end.  I was much better on my second test, and even better on the 3rd (spaced about 6 months apart).

2012-05-31 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4124687

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

5.5 mile run last night, went out at what i wanted for HIM pace, but ended up a little quicker 8/mm pace.

Great OWS yesterday, i really love swimming in a wettie in the salt water!!  Was swimming with some pretty fast doods and holding my own, they hardly had to wait for me at the meeting points. When we OWS we swim to flags and buoys, some of which are 4-500 meters off shore, we regroup and make sure we count the people every 12-15 mins or so. Last year i was always 2-3 mins behind, this year was like 30 sec to less than a minute.

trainer ride easy tonight, OWS tomorrow and a easy 5k to keep the legs going.

Saturday's TT is a last minute call, weather dependent, if it is raining i stay home. I know half the field, there are 2 really really fast doods that are really Cat3's racing, it will be interesting to see how i stack up, it will not be a walkover by any stretch.

2012-05-31 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4237084

Master
...at home in The ATL
Rudy - that is like 2 swim brags in one week! You may want to be careful with that; next thing you mnow you might just go and change your mind about retiring from triathlon...

In all seriousness that is actually really cool. It always seems like the prevailing wisdom on BT is to not spend much time on swimming and rather focus on the other disciplines of cycling and running. My experience has been that it completely changes the game if you can come out of the water feeling good with the fasties rather than starting out in a 2~3 minute hole and whipped. At this point in my race career I have found it to be of tremendous value to work a lot on the swim. I wish I had known that years ago.

2012-05-31 10:56 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

the new swimming related threads in tri-talk have this site hitting an all time low.

I am glad i have this mentor group, other wise i might start visiting slowtitch more often.

2012-05-31 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4237161

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
TankBoy - 2012-05-31 11:43 AM Rudy - that is like 2 swim brags in one week! You may want to be careful with that; next thing you mnow you might just go and change your mind about retiring from triathlon...

In all seriousness that is actually really cool. It always seems like the prevailing wisdom on BT is to not spend much time on swimming and rather focus on the other disciplines of cycling and running. My experience has been that it completely changes the game if you can come out of the water feeling good with the fasties rather than starting out in a 2~3 minute hole and whipped. At this point in my race career I have found it to be of tremendous value to work a lot on the swim. I wish I had known that years ago.

my lack of swimming last year cost me a couple AG podiums, it kinda really cheesed me off, i made a note to work on that this year, late last year, when i reflected on my season.

i'm getting my bragging in now, so when i return monday after Rev3 Quassy kicks my butt all over northern CT, i can read back and feel even worse about myself, it tends to create motivation, lol!!!

2012-05-31 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4237161

Elite
Ontario
TankBoy - 2012-05-31 11:43 AM Rudy - that is like 2 swim brags in one week! You may want to be careful with that; next thing you mnow you might just go and change your mind about retiring from triathlon...

Hence my bigest swim month ever in May.  I had figured this out last year as well, but didn't put in the dedication during the winter and am now trying to correct things.  I still don't have the speed, so I'm expecting to drop time to others on the swim, but I'm hoping that the improved swim fitness makes up for that a bit during the bike & run.

First race this weekend, so we'll see how it all pans out.

2012-05-31 1:37 PM

Elite
Ontario

Brian - what's your opinion on the Zoot Energy 3.0 shoe?  I can get a ridiculous deal on these so am curious as to your thoughts?

Thanks

Edited by GoFaster 2012-05-31 3:58 PM

2012-05-31 1:38 PM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I have had some mixed feelings with swim training.  Last year I was swimming 3-4x week at 2500-3000 yards each session in hopes of improving my swim tremendously.  My threshold pace went from 1:30 to 1:25 per 100 and I was feeling great but it never seemed to translate to racing as I was swimming the same times as the year before.  I guess I question how much it really helped or why I was not seeing the gain translate over to OWS.

Now, since I have a young daughter, I cannot leave in the morning for early swim sessions since the pool does not open early enough.  So, I am stuck with lunch sessions of 40 minutes usually.  Plus, It is really a PITA to drive 40 minutes round trip for a 40 minute workout.  That is what I hate the most.  I have instead focused a bunch of attention to my bike/run so we will see how it all plays out.

I would agree that for IM racing coming out of the water fresh, even if it is somewhat slow, would be a great benefit.  For HIM and below, I am not so sure.  I think you definitely need to be proficient but making it a big priority I guess is the question Icome back to.

2012-05-31 8:12 PM

Elite
Ontario

Ryan - we'll see how things go for my race this weekend, but I do worry that all this extra effort won't pay off and I should have spent more time running.  We'll see.

One other swim question - do you breathe every 1 or 3 strokes in a race?  I very much have gotten used to breathing bilaterally, and now do it exclusively, but read something about getting more oxygen by breathing every stroke - makes sense.  So now I'm wondering if I should do that this weekend.  Decided to breathe that way for the sets of 100's I did today.  How about everyone else?

2012-05-31 8:38 PM
in reply to: #4238210

2012-06-01 5:43 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Good luck to all that are racing this weekend.  Enjoy the day and have a blast!

2012-06-01 5:53 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
GoFaster - 2012-05-31 9:12 PM

Ryan - we'll see how things go for my race this weekend, but I do worry that all this extra effort won't pay off and I should have spent more time running.  We'll see.

One other swim question - do you breathe every 1 or 3 strokes in a race?  I very much have gotten used to breathing bilaterally, and now do it exclusively, but read something about getting more oxygen by breathing every stroke - makes sense.  So now I'm wondering if I should do that this weekend.  Decided to breathe that way for the sets of 100's I did today.  How about everyone else?

Neil,

I like you!  You always come up with some good questions.

For me there is no rhyme or reason to the amount of breaths I take.  It does depend on effort.  Some times I will go up to 5 strokes to clear the lungs.

I do bilaterally breathing and recommend if you don’t to learn.  It can help balance your stroke effort.  I believe it can help being more symmetrical in reach and rotation.  That can also make you more hydro dynamic and faster. jmo.

btw I would not change anything in your race routine till after this weekend.

Edited by tasr 2012-06-01 6:18 AM

2012-06-01 8:19 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Neil - I agree with the others - I don't think too much about it anymore - I just breath whenever I need to. This doesn't just mean when I am out of air. Rather it is dictated by effort, direction of wind, waves, sun, buoys, etc. when I decided to focus on IM a couple of years ago and hired a coach, he INSISTED that I learn to breathe bilaterally due to strength and balance concerns. I worked on it a lot, and now breath just as easily to either side. As the pace gets pushed, I will go to breathing on one side, but even then I will often take three intermittent strokes and switch to the other side for a while - I have found this to keep me much more fresh.

As a side note, it is interesting that you say you breathe bilaterally exclusively. Does that mean you breathe every three strokes? IMHO if you are not breathing every other stroke (ie on the same side) you are probably not swimming your short (50y~200y) intervals hard enough, or maybe you are taking too long of a recovery between intervals?

2012-06-01 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4238793

Elite
Ontario
TankBoy - 2012-06-01 9:19 AM Neil - I agree with the others - I don't think too much about it anymore - I just breath whenever I need to. This doesn't just mean when I am out of air. Rather it is dictated by effort, direction of wind, waves, sun, buoys, etc. when I decided to focus on IM a couple of years ago and hired a coach, he INSISTED that I learn to breathe bilaterally due to strength and balance concerns. I worked on it a lot, and now breath just as easily to either side. As the pace gets pushed, I will go to breathing on one side, but even then I will often take three intermittent strokes and switch to the other side for a while - I have found this to keep me much more fresh.

As a side note, it is interesting that you say you breathe bilaterally exclusively. Does that mean you breathe every three strokes? IMHO if you are not breathing every other stroke (ie on the same side) you are probably not swimming your short (50y~200y) intervals hard enough, or maybe you are taking too long of a recovery between intervals?

Rusty - for the reasons you noted above I switched to bilateral breathing early on because I couldn't breathe on one side.  I've actually forgotten which was my strong side (I think it was breathing to my left).  But to your point, for the last few years, with the exception of just a couple laps here and there I've only been bilateral breathing - including intervals.  When I used James workout yesterday (been using it a a lot lately James!) I definitley "felt" that I was able to go deeper into the set before the cardio caught up with me and I was breathing a lot more heavily.

2012-06-01 8:34 AM

Elite
Ontario

I know in this group there are some monster numbers put up on a monthly basis, but this was my biggest month ever.  Swim time almost matched run time!

May's totals:
Bike:21h 15m 01s  - 635.79 KM
Run:13h 03m 06s  - 162.16 KM
Swim:12h 33m  - 35783.36 M
2012-06-01 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4238825

Master
...at home in The ATL
GoFaster - 2012-06-01 9:31 AM
TankBoy - 2012-06-01 9:19 AM Neil - I agree with the others - I don't think too much about it anymore - I just breath whenever I need to. This doesn't just mean when I am out of air. Rather it is dictated by effort, direction of wind, waves, sun, buoys, etc. when I decided to focus on IM a couple of years ago and hired a coach, he INSISTED that I learn to breathe bilaterally due to strength and balance concerns. I worked on it a lot, and now breath just as easily to either side. As the pace gets pushed, I will go to breathing on one side, but even then I will often take three intermittent strokes and switch to the other side for a while - I have found this to keep me much more fresh.

Rusty - for the reasons you noted above I switched to bilateral breathing early on because I couldn't breathe on one side.  I've actually forgotten which was my strong side (I think it was breathing to my left).  But to your point, for the last few years, with the exception of just a couple laps here and there I've only been bilateral breathing - including intervals.  When I used James workout yesterday (been using it a a lot lately James!) I definitley "felt" that I was able to go deeper into the set before the cardio caught up with me and I was breathing a lot more heavily.

Neil - that is fantastic! About six months ago I found myself trying to remember the same thing - I took it as a very good sign of progress. In my first couple of races it came back pretty quickly what my "natural" side was because I had neglected to practice my sighting when breathing bilaterally. Sighting when I breath to my left (natural side) is very easy - sighting after I take a breath to the right not so much - it felt really awkward and uncoordinated. So I have added more sighting drills into my routine and it has already helped a good bit.

Good luck this weekend to everyone racing - I have a "c" sprint race on Saturday - my last little "shake down cruise" before IMLP.

2012-06-01 9:09 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
I miss Fred already - he was always so good at predicting the over/under on the pool threads. I personally have 7 on the current one, but I was counting on it making a stronger opening on Friday. Thanks for doing your part to keep it alive, Bryan! Laughing

2012-06-01 9:15 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Rusty:  I am trying to contribute here but you keep writing my exact thoughts LOL.  Pretty much agreed with everything you have said this morning ha.

Neil:  Nice numbers and way to get the pool workouts done.  Really hope it pays off for you.

Definitely good luck to everybody racing this weekend - the next two weeks I feel like the whole group will be racing.  Awesome.

I am pretty giddy about my race next weekend.  This will be my first race with an actual bike race setup.  I am sick of giving up free speed to all my competitors.  The LBS is letting me use the Bontrager Aeoleus 5.0 wheel set, although not super deep, is still an improvement and I have a Rudy Wingspan helmet on the way.  Excited about that too .

2012-06-01 9:32 AM

Pro
GoFaster - 2012-05-31 9:12 PM

Every 3 is generally my groove for races. I breathe bilaterally, except for sprints. And by sprints, I don't mean sprint tris, I mean 50 or 100yd hard intervals or stand-alone races. And that doesn't mean I'm breathing every stroke, I just favor my right side over my left.

Honestly, I don't think too much about it. I breathe when I feel like I need to. I only really think about it when attempting to settle into a pattern to get my HR down or calm myself.

...or if I'm doing hypoxic sets. Not intending to start a debate on these. Sometimes I'll do 3/5/7 sets or something. More for the mental advantage, than the physical. If I take in water instead of air during a race, I'm confident that I won't drown, because I know I can do without as much air and recover just fine.

2012-06-01 9:56 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Bilaterally breathing also helps me sight better. I think one of the most important aspects in large pack swims is bilateral breathing you will see which way you're about to get run over from.
2012-06-01 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4239095

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 108