BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2008-04-24 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1360198

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED!
Boston Beginner - 2008-04-24 4:43 PM

Only 400.  I will suck it up.  Once the adrenaline kicks in, I won't feel a thing.

Yeah, you'll be fine. Just make sure you get in the water to get used to it. Adrenaline or no adrenaline, cold water hits you like a ton of bricks. It will actually be tough to breathe at first, but then you'll be fine. Good luck !

2008-04-24 4:39 PM
in reply to: #1360238

User image

Sensei
Sin City
LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-24 2:00 PM
Boston Beginner - 2008-04-24 4:43 PM

Only 400.  I will suck it up.  Once the adrenaline kicks in, I won't feel a thing.

Yeah, you'll be fine. Just make sure you get in the water to get used to it. Adrenaline or no adrenaline, cold water hits you like a ton of bricks. It will actually be tough to breathe at first, but then you'll be fine. Good luck !

x2.  It was hard to breath while standing in the chest high water this last weekend (gasping a little).  Got a little better once the swim started and I was able to move.

I'm so excited to read your race report and see how it went!

2008-04-24 5:51 PM
in reply to: #1360060

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

When are people's next races? My next one isn't until sometime in the end of June.

July 12th for me, in Muncie, IN for my first HIM (Muncie endurathon). I may not race until then, not totally sure yet, but I want to minimize injury risk and get myself to that start line.

2008-04-24 6:23 PM
in reply to: #1354013

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Geeze.. I was away from BT for one workday and I missed a lot!!   It's funny that you guys were talking about several small meals a day.  I usually eat every few hours and wasn't able to really do that today because I was at a work thing all day. I suffered through the run tonight.  I also drank more coffee than water.  My body was NOT happy.

Next time I'll be packing my own food.  I may have to bring a medium sized cooler.  People are going to think I'm nuts!

Edited by vball03umd 2008-04-24 6:30 PM
2008-04-24 7:03 PM
in reply to: #1360488

Champion
South Jersey
vball03umd - 2008-04-24 7:23 PM

Geeze.. I was away from BT for one workday and I missed a lot!!   It's funny that you guys were talking about several small meals a day.  I usually eat every few hours and wasn't able to really do that today because I was at a work thing all day. I suffered through the run tonight.  I also drank more coffee than water.  My body was NOT happy.

Next time I'll be packing my own food.  I may have to bring a medium sized cooler.  People are going to think I'm nuts!

You do not know how stressed out I get when I have all-day meetings, lunch meetings, biz travel, etc. It just wreaks havoc on my nutrition, and makes for awful training that evening. I totally feel for you; it really sucks! I have to go out of town in two weeks for work (which is a bummer in and of itself) and will be sitting in seminars the whole time. I plan on having at the very least a bunch of powerbars in my bag. We go from 9-5 each day, with the only food being lunch! Grrr.

2008-04-24 7:06 PM
in reply to: #1360434

Champion
South Jersey
shiggy - 2008-04-24 6:51 PM

When are people's next races? My next one isn't until sometime in the end of June.

July 12th for me, in Muncie, IN for my first HIM (Muncie endurathon). I may not race until then, not totally sure yet, but I want to minimize injury risk and get myself to that start line.

Rock on! I'm the same as you about wanting to minimize risk for injury. But, you should be okay doing a sprint or something too...like the first week of June or something will be plenty of time. It's also good to get those race juices flowing and work out all the kinks with transitions, etc. Especially since HIM transitions are still fast (like Olys and unlike IMs).

From a physiological standpoint, however, there is no benefit to having raced. So do what makes you most comfortable mentally. And we'll all be here supporting you !

2008-04-24 7:14 PM
in reply to: #1360488

User image

Expert
WA
vball03umd - 2008-04-24 7:23 PM

Geeze.. I was away from BT for one workday and I missed a lot!! It's funny that you guys were talking about several small meals a day. I usually eat every few hours and wasn't able to really do that today because I was at a work thing all day. I suffered through the run tonight. I also drank more coffee than water. My body was NOT happy.

Next time I'll be packing my own food. I may have to bring a medium sized cooler. People are going to think I'm nuts!

i have to eat like 5 times a day, or i become a raving beotch!!  3 out of 5 sentences i say to my husband are, "i'm hungry."  he has learned that it's perfectly normal for me to interrupt him midsentence and say, "i'm sorry honey, i can't understand what you're saying, i have to eat something." 

it's only worse when i train a lot, and then, i am literally hungry every hour or so, and it sucks!  because you can only prepare so much healthy food, and that's when i start eating crap like chips and ramen and whatever i can find that is quick.  it's really bad.   plus, it makes me a horrible companion.  i have a friend who is similar, eats numerous times a day, and her husband says of her, "dude, if you're not hungry, you're sleepy, or you need to pee.  i can't take you anywhere!"  ditto for me .

2008-04-24 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1360563

User image

Master
Olney, MD
lisazapato - 2008-04-24 8:14 PM

I have to eat like 5 times a day, or i become a raving beotch!!  3 out of 5 sentences i say to my husband are, "i'm hungry."  he has learned that it's perfectly normal for me to interrupt him midsentence and say, "i'm sorry honey, i can't understand what you're saying, i have to eat something." 

it's only worse when i train a lot, and then, i am literally hungry every hour or so, and it sucks!  because you can only prepare so much healthy food, and that's when i start eating crap like chips and ramen and whatever i can find that is quick.  it's really bad.   plus, it makes me a horrible companion.  i have a friend who is similar, eats numerous times a day, and her husband says of her, "dude, if you're not hungry, you're sleepy, or you need to pee.  i can't take you anywhere!"  ditto for me .

Hahaha.. It would be too funny if all the poor guys got together and could swap stories.  

I definitely get very crabby when I'm hungry and I know I'm not fun to be around.  My future inlaws say they have to "feed the bear."  They'll ask me to let them know about 30 - 45 minutes ahead of time when I'm going to want to eat because they know I turn into a bear!  I'm terrible on road trips because I'll start reading the food signs on the side of the road.. like "oohhh.. cracker barrel I love that place" or "yuuummm pizza".. until we pull off to eat.  

I definitely know what you mean about just grabbing something quickly that probably isn't the best option.  I used to do that a lot and gained like 20 lbs after I graduated from college b/c I was still eating like I was working out everyday.  I was able to get back down to my college weight by making sure we don't have much junk food in the house because I'd definitely eat it all   At work, I have a desk full of healthy snack options, but I'll admit I still can't resist the cakes and cookies that people bring in.

2008-04-24 8:30 PM

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH

you can all heckle me now.  No workout again for me as well.  It wasn't so much me being sick tonight, though I was, as much as it was me being a delinquent boyfriend.  I can't even say exactly what I did wrong, but I figured me leaving to go workout would be the wrong thing to do.

Oh well, there is always next week :-P  I hope you guys can forgive me ;-)

I plan on having a nice workout tomorrow and putting hopefully 80 miles on my bike Sat and Sun.  Wish me luck.

Edited by dlswimmer 2008-04-24 8:30 PM
2008-04-24 8:36 PM
in reply to: #1360674

User image

Elite
far northern CA
dlswimmer - 2008-04-24 6:30 PM

you can all heckle me now.  No workout again for me as well.  It wasn't so much me being sick tonight, though I was, as much as it was me being a delinquent boyfriend.  I can't even say exactly what I did wrong, but I figured me leaving to go workout would be the wrong thing to do.

Oh well, there is always next week :-P  I hope you guys can forgive me ;-)

I plan on having a nice workout tomorrow and putting hopefully 80 miles on my bike Sat and Sun.  Wish me luck.

Naw.  No heckling.  Ya gotta do the "family" duty so you can get the free time to get your training done.  It's just like paying for insurance!   She's probably having a bad day.

2008-04-24 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1360589

User image

Expert
WA
vball03umd - 2008-04-24 8:29 PM

I definitely get very crabby when I'm hungry and I know I'm not fun to be around. My future inlaws say they have to "feed the bear." They'll ask me to let them know about 30 - 45 minutes ahead of time when I'm going to want to eat because they know I turn into a bear! I'm terrible on road trips because I'll start reading the food signs on the side of the road.. like "oohhh.. cracker barrel I love that place" or "yuuummm pizza".. until we pull off to eat.

omg, are we the same person?  and i looooooove cracker barrel.  mmmmm....i'm hungry. 

2008-04-24 9:02 PM
in reply to: #1360674

User image

Expert
WA
dlswimmer - 2008-04-24 9:30 PM

you can all heckle me now. No workout again for me as well. It wasn't so much me being sick tonight, though I was, as much as it was me being a delinquent boyfriend. I can't even say exactly what I did wrong, but I figured me leaving to go workout would be the wrong thing to do.

Oh well, there is always next week :-P I hope you guys can forgive me ;-)

I plan on having a nice workout tomorrow and putting hopefully 80 miles on my bike Sat and Sun. Wish me luck.

we'll forgive you just this one time...

next week - pink squares on the calendar!  

hope you smoothed things out with the ladyfriend.  i know smoothing things with the hubby is more important than a workout.  most of the time .

2008-04-24 9:48 PM
in reply to: #1360589

User image

Sensei
Sin City
vball03umd - 2008-04-24 5:29 PM
lisazapato - 2008-04-24 8:14 PM

I have to eat like 5 times a day, or i become a raving beotch!!  3 out of 5 sentences i say to my husband are, "i'm hungry."  he has learned that it's perfectly normal for me to interrupt him midsentence and say, "i'm sorry honey, i can't understand what you're saying, i have to eat something." 

Hahaha.. It would be too funny if all the poor guys got together and could swap stories.  

I definitely get very crabby when I'm hungry and I know I'm not fun to be around.  My future inlaws say they have to "feed the bear."  They'll ask me to let them know about 30 - 45 minutes ahead of time when I'm going to want to eat because they know I turn into a bear!  I'm terrible on road trips because I'll start reading the food signs on the side of the road.. like "oohhh.. cracker barrel I love that place" or "yuuummm pizza".. until we pull off to eat.  

I definitely know what you mean about just grabbing something quickly that probably isn't the best option.  I used to do that a lot and gained like 20 lbs after I graduated from college b/c I was still eating like I was working out everyday.  I was able to get back down to my college weight by making sure we don't have much junk food in the house because I'd definitely eat it all   At work, I have a desk full of healthy snack options, but I'll admit I still can't resist the cakes and cookies that people bring in.

Well, I'm pretty even tempered, so when I get hungry, I'm still pretty cool and don't get too cranky, but my fuse DOES get a little shorter. 

My wife on the other hand, look out.  She turns into super BEOTCH!  I stay calm and just say "OMG, we have to get some food in you..."

I have coined the phrase "she's getting HANGRY".  It's when she gets angry for no reason other than because she is hungry, so "HANGRY....."

2008-04-24 10:16 PM
in reply to: #1360807

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Aikidoman - 2008-04-24 7:48 PM

I have coined the phrase "she's getting HANGRY".  It's when she gets angry for no reason other than because she is hungry, so "HANGRY....."

I like that one!

2008-04-25 5:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Good morning to all... any big training plans today? I really want to get on my bike this afternoon but there's a good chance I will get caught in a thunderstorm. I think I'd rather take my chances than use the trainer though!
2008-04-25 6:33 AM
in reply to: #1360964

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH

shiggy - 2008-04-25 6:03 AM Good morning to all... any big training plans today? I really want to get on my bike this afternoon but there's a good chance I will get caught in a thunderstorm. I think I'd rather take my chances than use the trainer though!

about the same for me.  I am planning on riding and unless it is a raging storm I will do so.  I am also going to run and get some strength training in. 

I am going to go shopping this weekend for food next week.  Does anyone have suggestions on what I should get for my meals?  Keep in mind that I am about the opposite of vegetarian... I looove meat (please take that in the nutrition way and not the way my mind went as I read that over).  I do like my veggies though, so any suggestions would be awesome.

2008-04-25 7:01 AM
in reply to: #1361001

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
dlswimmer - 2008-04-25 7:33 AM

shiggy - 2008-04-25 6:03 AM Good morning to all... any big training plans today? I really want to get on my bike this afternoon but there's a good chance I will get caught in a thunderstorm. I think I'd rather take my chances than use the trainer though!

about the same for me.  I am planning on riding and unless it is a raging storm I will do so.  I am also going to run and get some strength training in. 

I am going to go shopping this weekend for food next week.  Does anyone have suggestions on what I should get for my meals?  Keep in mind that I am about the opposite of vegetarian... I looove meat (please take that in the nutrition way and not the way my mind went as I read that over).  I do like my veggies though, so any suggestions would be awesome.

Here's what I have been eating.   Usually oatmeal w/fruit in the early morning.  Mid morning I have a bagel with pb and jelly.  Lunch is salad with chicken, or some sort of healthy wrap.  (I have a pretty good cafe at work)  Afternoon snack is yogurt and fruit salad or Clif bar if I am going to gym at night.  We have also eaten well at home.  My wife is good about a protein, vegi and starch for dinner.  What I find I am doing a lot it taking either lean beef, chicken, or pork and grilling up some vegis and putting it in a whole wheat burrito wrap.  Other good dinner is stuffed peppers with whole grain rice and whatever other vegis you want.  Because of our schedules, I usually make most of our dinners on Sunday.  Homemade smoothies are good too. I don't know if you have a BJs near you, but you can get a six pound bag of frozen fruit for $7. Here's the other thing, one night I week I eat whatever I want.  It's usually pizza or Chinese food.  I have read that this is good for your body so it knows you are not starving it.  Also, keeps you mentally ok knowing you can still indulge once a week. Hope this helps.

2008-04-25 8:03 AM
in reply to: #1360964

Champion
South Jersey

Morning! I am already done with my training for the day .

I hope the storms hold off for you. Do you have a trainer on which you can ride?

2008-04-25 8:08 AM
in reply to: #1361042

Champion
South Jersey

As far as food, I am not overly picky about diet. I do eat all whole-wheat pasta, and my rice is brown rice. Immediately before and immediately after workouts, however, it's the white stuff and not whole grain stuff. I'll do white bread with strawberry preserves both before and after workouts. Immediately after. Then, about 30-45 mins later, I'll have a real meal, with the regular stuff and protein, etc.

I do eat a lot of oatmeal, fruit, pasta, rice, chicken, beef, nuts, etc. I make a homemade smoothie about 4 or 5 times a week. Dark berries are the best for you -- high in antioxidants, which helps prevent you from getting sick and also has natural antiflam properties to help with recovery and/or reduce/prevent inflammation. I do what boston beginner does and buy bags of frozen fruit. I prefer strawberry, but black, blue, and rasp are even healthier, so I mix a bag of frozen strawberries with a bag of mixed berries, and keep that in my freezer. I just grab a handful for each smoothie. I usually throw a banana in there too.

2008-04-25 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
So I noticed that a bunch of you sent me inspires over the past couple of days, which is very cool.  I appologize for not responding, but I really never check them because, well, I never had them before.  I will start checking and responding daily.  Another thing to learn for a newbie.
2008-04-25 8:28 AM
in reply to: #1361132

Champion
South Jersey

boston_beginner,

I know there's a group of BTers who swim on Saturday (?) mornings at Walden, almost every weekend throughout the spring and summer. I've swam there before - it's really nice. You might want to check the Mass thread in the state forum in a few weeks. Let me know if you can't find it...

2008-04-25 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1361169

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Thanks.  They just started talking about it on the Mass board.  I used to live about 10 mins from there, now I am 45min, but I may still join them to have company training.  Are you from around here?
2008-04-25 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1361176

Champion
South Jersey

Boston Beginner - 2008-04-25 9:31 AM Thanks.  They just started talking about it on the Mass board.  I used to live about 10 mins from there, now I am 45min, but I may still join them to have company training.  Are you from around here?

Oh good! Nope, not from around there; I have friends in Boston so I've trained up there a few times.

2008-04-25 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans

Yep, my training is done for the day too. I'll probably go to the pool after work, but only to get some sun. May do a few laps, but nothing planned. Tomorrow my only workout is going to be a swim in the morning. Gotta "taper" for my 5k on Sunday.

2008-04-25 8:52 AM
in reply to: #1361001

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
dlswimmer - 2008-04-25 7:33 AM

If you like fish, I would recommend canned salmon. I have a fish expert in the family, who told me that the canned salmon has much lower (mercury) contamination than other fish choices. Salmon is an awesome source of protein and has natural antiinflammatory properties. To my knowledge, about 3 servings/week is highly recommended. Also a good choice is egg beaters (or egg whites) although that's not as easy to pack.

Edited by shiggy 2008-04-25 8:52 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 66