General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2010-10-13 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3111494

User image

Philadelphia, PA
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

1. Is this your first IM? Yes
2. Have you done IMWI before? No
3. What are your goals for the 2011 race? To finish standing on two feet
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race? Similar to a previous poster I'm also a firefighter, and I served in recovery operations at the WTC following 9/11. I'll be racing in memory of the 343 firefighters that died that day and for all firefighters who have died in the line of duty. We've had a big push in our station to promote physical fitness over the past few years, and I see this as leading by example.
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...? How early in the week do competitors typically arrive? I'll be driving out from PA over two days, but I don't want to just show up and race. I'm thinking of getting there no later than Wednesday right now.

Next year will be my second season as a triathlete. This season I raced in a sprint, an Olympic and a half-iron distance race with the sprint and the HIM going really well for me. I treated this season's races as training knowing I was working towards a much larger goal. I'm really excited for this race and look forward to this year's IM Wisconsin thread on BT.

2010-10-13 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3149276

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
crea0029 - 2010-10-13 9:04 AM

The Ironman Wisconsin board is awful quiet.  What is everyone up to???

Today I feel Frustrated with this strained calf muscle 7 days and of no running, thankful I can swim and bike still 
In my spare time I bought a new house has a hot tub which will make taking an ice bath much easier

2010-10-13 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3150972

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
ldurland - 2010-10-13 8:42 PM

4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race? Similar to a previous poster I'm also a firefighter, and I served in recovery operations at the WTC following 9/11. I'll be racing in memory of the 343 firefighters that died that day and for all firefighters who have died in the line of duty. We've had a big push in our station to promote physical fitness over the past few years, and I see this as leading by example.
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...? How early in the week do competitors typically arrive? I'll be driving out from PA over two days, but I don't want to just show up and race. I'm thinking of getting there no later than Wednesday right now.

Next year will be my second season as a triathlete. This season I raced in a sprint, an Olympic and a half-iron distance race with the sprint and the HIM going really well for me. I treated this season's races as training knowing I was working towards a much larger goal. I'm really excited for this race and look forward to this year's IM Wisconsin thread on BT.

You certainly wont be alone arriving on weds night.  I personally like getting there early (weds) to get acclimated... plus when I travel, it takes me a night to get used to the bed etc...  Great atmosphere and you wont be looking for things to do! 
2010-10-14 1:15 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

tasr - 2010-09-22 8:28 AM OK I finally got in to Ironman Wisconsin 2011.  I went the route of the Ironman Foundation so this will be a little interesting.  I want to thank all that will donate and supported me.  There are some very generous people on BT.

So to start the thread rolling and to beat IMLP 2010 thread count. 

I’ll ask;

1. Is this your first IM?
2. Have you done IMWI before?
3. What are your goals for the 2011 race?
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race?
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...?

1) Nope.  This will be lucky #6.  ( or #5 if you only count IM brand 140.6 distance races )

2) Yes.  2009.

3) Beat my time from 2009.

4) It's a 2 hour drive from my house, so I can train on the course ( bike course anyway ).

5) Will they be adding Observatory hill back into the run course?  

What will the weather be like on race day? 

Do the algae eating snakes ever bite people?  :P

2010-10-14 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3152471

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
coredump - 2010-10-14 1:15 PM 

Do the algae eating snakes ever bite people?  :P

If they are algae eating snakes, they are likely herbivores. We triathletes are a bit too meaty and sinewy to satisfy their cravings for vegetation.

Besides, even if they did bite... how much could a little algae eating snake actually EAT? Wink

2010-10-14 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3152471

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I eat Algae Eating Snakes.

Had to use this double post for something, didn't I?

Edited by Whizzzzz 2010-10-14 1:34 PM

2010-10-14 2:12 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

ldurland - 2010-10-13 8:42 PM

Good luck with training!  It will be a honor to share the course with you next September.

In terms of arriving, most people arrive in Madison later in the day on Wednesday or Thursday.  Bike check-in and bike/run transition bag drop-off is on Saturday, so you'll want to arrive with enough time to sort all the gear out so you can be relaxed, and not feeling frantic in the last couple days before the race.  

2010-10-14 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3152503

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Whizzzzz - 2010-10-14 1:26 PM

Algae-eating snakes are especially scared off from 3 sets of red-painted toenails, too.  You should post that one.
2010-10-14 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3152503

User image

Regular

Whizzzzz - 2010-10-14 1:26 PM

Shoot, I had a smart comment but remembered I was in Kelly's log. Probably for the best.

Edited by lumpy 2010-10-14 4:48 PM
2010-10-14 8:08 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-10-14 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3149702

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-10-18 5:52 PM

Veteran
Fort Wayne IN
ldurland - 2010-10-13 9:42 PM

Good to know ya, I wonder how many other FF's will be there?  This could shape up to be something really cool.  Looking forward to it
Matt  
2010-10-20 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3159050

Philadelphia, PA
MB550 - 2010-10-18 6:52 PM
ldurland - 2010-10-13 9:42 PM

Good to know ya, I wonder how many other FF's will be there?  This could shape up to be something really cool.  Looking forward to it
Matt  

Matt,

I agree and can't wait to see how many other FF's are in the race. I have a good amount of confidence in saying that I don't think race day motivation will be an issue for us.

Larry
2010-10-24 9:06 PM

Expert
Chicago
Hey folks...quick question from the peanut gallery...

For those of you who made a room reservation through the Ironman block of rooms via Meeting Max, have you received a confirmation email yet?

We booked a room at the Hyatt Place Madison and I printed off the reservation summary, but there's no confirmation number at that. Then at the bottom it says to allow up to 2 weeks to receive the confirmation email...

• ..I booked on 9/13. Clearly we're beyond the 2 week period...and still have nothing in regards to a confirmed room. [not amused.] So I called the Hyatt Place Madison to see if we're in the system. And we're not. [non-amusement turns into frustration.]

• Is anyone else who booked through Meeting Max still waiting for a confirmation email? Or am I royally hosed?

[sigh.]
    2010-10-24 9:28 PM
    in reply to: #3169645

90 miles south of Titletown, USA
    RunningJayhawk - 2010-10-24 9:06 PM

Hey folks...quick question from the peanut gallery...

For those of you who made a room reservation through the Ironman block of rooms via Meeting Max, have you received a confirmation email yet?

We booked a room at the Hyatt Place Madison and I printed off the reservation summary, but there's no confirmation number at that. Then at the bottom it says to allow up to 2 weeks to receive the confirmation email...

• ..I booked on 9/13. Clearly we're beyond the 2 week period...and still have nothing in regards to a confirmed room. [not amused.] So I called the Hyatt Place Madison to see if we're in the system. And we're not. [non-amusement turns into frustration.]

• Is anyone else who booked through Meeting Max still waiting for a confirmation email? Or am I royally hosed?

[sigh.]

I wouldn't sweat it. I booked through them, too, and have yet to get an email

Also went through them in '08 and never received a response until I contacted them a few months after the fact.

If you are worried about it, either call them or call the hotel and you will probably get a confirmation. I'm sure you are good to go.
    2010-10-24 9:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
    Minnetonka Beach, MN
    RunningJayhawk - 2010-10-24 9:06 PM Hey folks...quick question from the peanut gallery... For those of you who made a room reservation through the Ironman block of rooms via Meeting Max, have you received a confirmation email yet? We booked a room at the Hyatt Place Madison and I printed off the reservation summary, but there's no confirmation number at that. Then at the bottom it says to allow up to 2 weeks to receive the confirmation email... ...I booked on 9/13. Clearly we're beyond the 2 week period...and still have nothing in regards to a confirmed room. [not amused.] So I called the Hyatt Place Madison to see if we're in the system. And we're not. [non-amusement turns into frustration.] Is anyone else who booked through Meeting Max still waiting for a confirmation email? Or am I royally hosed? [sigh.]

I just received mine this past friday...  I emailed them and they were able to confirm everything a few weeks ago.  (I was getting nervous too!

2010-10-24 11:36 PM

Regular
    Colorado Springs
    I am also booked at the Hyatt Place. By chance it was also on the 9/13/10. I haven't heard either. I guess a call or e-mail is in order.
    Happy Training.
    2010-10-28 1:56 PM

Regular
    Colorado Springs
    E-mail received from meeting max today confirming reservation.
    happy training.
    2010-10-29 5:09 PM

Veteran
    Channahon,Illinois
    OK so I couldnt resist once I seen the community fund slots were open and I pulled the trigger. It'll be my 3rd IMOO in a row and need to exact a bit of revenge on that bike course. Looking forward to training with all of you and following each others progress towards raceday!! Happy training
    2010-10-29 8:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
    Minnetonka Beach, MN
    My training starts next week at Silverman!!!      

Nothing like a course to make IMOO look reasonable!  Have a great "maintenance" winter everyone! 
    2010-10-31 12:47 PM
    in reply to: #3185062

Marshfield Wi
    Glad you are coming back Steve! Let me know when you are coming up to train if you want company.

2010-10-31 1:08 PM
    in reply to: #3185062

Master
    Chicago
    steve1128 - 2010-10-29 5:09 PM OK so I couldnt resist once I seen the community fund slots were open and I pulled the trigger. It'll be my 3rd IMOO in a row and need to exact a bit of revenge on that bike course. Looking forward to training with all of you and following each others progress towards raceday!! Happy training

Dang you Steve.  Now you have me thinking about going for another round.  Hmmm, so tempting.   
    2010-10-31 5:44 PM

Veteran
    Indiana
    I am in. Looking forward to training - This will be my A Race next year.

2. Have you done IMWI before? Nope

3. What are your goals for the 2011 race? To Finsh. And to be able to walk the next day. Well, as long as I finsh, I guess the second goal is optional. I mean, it would be nice to be able to walk the next day, but....

4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race? Not really sure why - it was between WI and KY. I think the swim in WI will be better. Kind of worried about the hills though. I live in Northern Indiana, not a lot of hills to train on.

5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...?

2010-10-31 8:39 PM

Veteran
    Channahon,Illinois
    Haha...cmom in Matt...theres a spot with your name on it

Thanks Dave...I plan on being up there quite a bit....HHH is right around the corner.
    2010-11-03 4:43 PM
    in reply to: #3180399

Expert
    Chicago
    newt - 2010-10-28 1:56 PM

E-mail received from meeting max today confirming reservation.
    happy training.

Yep! We received ours on 10/28 as well.

So now we have 2 hotel rooms to juggle...the Hyatt Place and the Sheraton. Need to try and transfer the Sheraton res to my mother in law so we don't lose our sweet rate.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 56