BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-01-04 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3277798

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL
Hi Josie - Nice work in the pool today!  The more often you go, the more comfortable you'll be!  Not only in the water, but even little things like feeling comfortable with the fit of your goggles and putting on a swim cap!   

As for swimsuit suggestions, I have been buying the speedo "endurance" flyback training suit and really like it.  Here's a link for a picture:

http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3107232&page=4&kwCatId=&kw=endurance&origkw=endurance&sr=1

I also did not want to spend time trying on swimsuits in the store, so I bought a couple of styles  from the speedo.com website in 2 different sizes (I was in between the 2 sizes) and then returned the ones that didn't work.  To me, the cost of shipping was minimal compared to the convenience of having the swimsuits arrive at my front door and sparing me the humiliation of trying them on in a store with unflattering fluorescent lighting!! 

2011-01-04 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3277607

User image

Expert
Canada
KeriKadi - 2011-01-04 5:43 PM

Question of the day - Does anybody else have a blog?  If you log your workouts do you log them anywhere other than BT?  Anybody interested in keeping up with each other on FB?

I log my training here.  Log my running miles on a running website as well.

Not a "facebooker"

2011-01-04 5:49 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
JosieO - 2011-01-04 6:47 PM Do you ladies have any advice on how to buy a swimsuit?  I just need one for training.  My husband has alot of advice on everything from shoes to aerobars, but can't help me shop for a swimsuit.  I'd prefer to get one online, since dragging three small kiddos to a store to try stuff on is laughable.  Is that silly to order a suit online without trying it on first?  Brand, fit, price?  Anything you can tell me would be welcome.

He'd probably pick out a thong suit.

PPffftttt...Men are pigsInnocent

Just kiddingUndecided 
2011-01-04 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3257308

User image

Expert
Canada
My day...

Back to workYell

Saw my friendly Ortho surgeon at end of day.  Wasn't sure what was wrong with my knee.

Did plain xray-->Neg

Injected it with cortisone & lidocaine.  If no better in a week, MRI.

I wait with baited breathUndecided

2011-01-04 6:07 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Re: Swimsuits - I LOVE www.swimoutlet.com their suits are very cheap and return is easy.
I like a Nike I have and I also have an Dofhin Ugly I really like.  Suits that have poly last longer but run smaller so if you look at your measurements and think you need a 32, get a 34.  But I HATE my suits being too small/riding up on me.  In Dolfin Ugly I actually ordered up 2 sizes but LOVE that suit, they are 2 layers!  I am not a speedo fan at all, they just don't fit me right and not flattering in the least.  Have these two suits, I guess the Dolfin has sold out.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/12332.htm?color=9325

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1886.htm

2011-01-04 6:14 PM
in reply to: #3277924

User image

New user

KeriKadi - 2011-01-04 6:07 PM Re: Swimsuits - I LOVE www.swimoutlet.com their suits are very cheap and return is easy.
I like a Nike I have and I also have an Dofhin Ugly I really like.  Suits that have poly last longer but run smaller so if you look at your measurements and think you need a 32, get a 34.  But I HATE my suits being too small/riding up on me.  In Dolfin Ugly I actually ordered up 2 sizes but LOVE that suit, they are 2 layers!  I am not a speedo fan at all, they just don't fit me right and not flattering in the least.  Have these two suits, I guess the Dolfin has sold out.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/12332.htm?color=9325

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1886.htm

oooh, I'm liking the Dolfin uglies.  Both the colors and the prices!

2011-01-04 7:00 PM

User image

Veteran
I got my run in this evening!  Why is it that my "speedwork" days are SOOOO slow?  Oh well...there's always tomorrow!

@Kerikadi - I have a blog (see signature), but I'm HORRIBLE about keeping up with it!  I always mean to get better!!!  I do use FB regularly though!  My Profile is...http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000552583548  send a request and I'll add you!! 

@JosieO - Good job on the swimming and good call on the coach!  Hubbies aren't typically the best teachers (at least mine isn't)!!!   As for swimsuits...I HATE them, but we all have to wear them.  The only advice I have is that if you're large chested or self conscious, make sure you get one that had a padded/lined top.   

I also use http://www.myfitnesspal.com/  to log my food.  It's an AMAZING site.  It's free and has pretty much any food you could think of already loaded!  I LOVE it!!!  

2011-01-04 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3278012

User image

Expert
Canada
crisi13 - 2011-01-04 9:00 PM I got my run in this evening!  Why is it that my "speedwork" days are SOOOO slow?  Oh well...there's always tomorrow!

Being a typical male, I have to give my $0.02 on any question. 

I am not an expert runner, so take what I remark with "a grain of salt"

One thing that I have to remind myself of is the purpose of the individual running workouts.

As you know there are several workout types:

Long run
Tempo run
Speed work
Hill running
Easy, routine run

These have slightly different nomenclature from different sources, but most seem to have them all.

Most recommend 1 long run per week, 1 speed work per week.  Most of the other runs should be routine, base building runs.

Speed work is an aggressive workout.  If someone asked you a question, you would be able to grunt, but no words & certainly no sentences.  It is almost anaerobic & hence the short intervals.

If you remark yep, that's it...then you are doing it correctly.  The other part of the equation is your running base.  As it increases, you speed will naturally increase, but it takes time.

I would not fret about speed work.  More importantly, just keep running!!!  I have a love/hate relationship with speedwork.  It is a tough workout which definitely has it's benefits, but probably has the highest chance of injury as well.

Just trying to help...Innocent

2011-01-04 8:06 PM

User image

JosieO - 2011-01-04 5:47 PM Do you ladies have any advice on how to buy a swimsuit?  I just need one for training.  My husband has alot of advice on everything from shoes to aerobars, but can't help me shop for a swimsuit.  I'd prefer to get one online, since dragging three small kiddos to a store to try stuff on is laughable.  Is that silly to order a suit online without trying it on first?  Brand, fit, price?  Anything you can tell me would be welcome.

i am at the top of the "L" size spectrum and i was really glad i got to try suits on. kpringle's idea is great too - and if you buy +1 suit you might be qualifying for free shipping to you anyway, so there's that!

i have a TYR women's swimsuit that i love love love. here's a link to what it looks like. fit is awesome.
(sadly i paid closer to list price for this thing but that's what i get for going retail.)
http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/tyr-womens-grab-bag-reversible-diamondback-swimsuit.html?CID=GoogleShopping
2011-01-04 8:15 PM

User image

Plan for the week:
M - 42 min run; 10 lb slim down - upper body 
Tu - 15 min run; 10 lb slim down - lower body; core
W - 30 min run;  10 lb slim down - total body blast
Th - 15 min run; 10 lb slim down - upper body; core
F - 30 min run; 10 lb slim down - yoga
Sa - 15 min run; day off - may shift core here if needed
Su - 45 min run; day off - may shift 10lb slim down here if needed

went out for dinner with a friend so core will shift to tomorrow; total body the next day and so on. i'm alright with that

one of my resolutions is to drink 8 cups of water a day. i know, i know, it's early, but it's flipping hard. i'm just saying. i'm sure it will get easier but for now it's no better than trying to drink flat soda. bleh.
2011-01-04 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3278174

User image

Veteran
Osfan4life - 2011-01-04 9:15 PM Plan for the week:

one of my resolutions is to drink 8 cups of water a day. i know, i know, it's early, but it's flipping hard. i'm just saying. i'm sure it will get easier but for now it's no better than trying to drink flat soda. bleh.

When I gave sodas a while back, I used the Crystal Light or similar packets of stuff that you put in your water for flavor to wean myself off soda and go to straight water.  It worked for me, now I just drink water (and beer) and love it!! 

2011-01-04 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3278066

User image

Veteran
@GOGOGO...thanks for the post!!   I was doing 7x400's.  So I did all of my 1/4 mile speedwork at 6.0 (fast for me).  The problem is that after the 1/4 mile, I can't seem to push myself to jog the rest period, so I wind up walking a 1/4 mile.  I think it's a mind thing since I'm on the treadmill and I HATE the treadmill.   For some reason here lately, it seems impossible to have any endurance on the treadmill!!!
2011-01-04 10:21 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Damaged 12 minutes of yoga. Better late than never.
2011-01-04 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3277607

User image

Champion
Calgary
KeriKadi - 2011-01-04 2:43 PM

Got my swim in today but the bike is going to have to wait until I can get a new fit.  My tuhkus is still unhappy. Yell

Question of the day - Does anybody else have a blog?  If you log your workouts do you log them anywhere other than BT?  Anybody interested in keeping up with each other on FB?

My blog is in my siggy, right now I am only logging on BT but my coach is getting his website ready for his clients to log there as well.  I am on FB Laughing

I don't really blog but I am Facebook. I have a couple bt friend on there. I will try to find u I. the morning.r
2011-01-04 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3278012

User image

Champion
Calgary
crisi13 - 2011-01-04 6:00 PM

I got my run in this evening!  Why is it that my "speedwork" days are SOOOO slow?  Oh well...there's always tomorrow!

@Kerikadi - I have a blog (see signature), but I'm HORRIBLE about keeping up with it!  I always mean to get better!!!  I do use FB regularly though!  My Profile is...http://www.facebook.com/profile.phid=100000552583548  send a request and I'll add you!! 

@JosieO - Good job on the swimming and good call on the coach!  Hubbies aren't typically the best teachers (at least mine isn't)!!!   As for swimsuits...I HATE them, but we all have to wear them.  The only advice I have is that if you're large chested or self conscious, make sure you get one that had a padded/lined top.   

I also use http://www.myfitnesspal.com/  to log my food.  It's an AMAZING site.  It's free and has pretty much any food you could think of already loaded!  I LOVE it!!!  

Re speed work my experience has been that I can handle very little of it. I have read suggestions about limiting speed to five percent of milage. An Di think that is probably about right to reduce injury. I remember thinking when I started that well five percent would mean liked two km. Lol.
2011-01-05 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I LOVE that all this conversation is going on!

Josie: great job on getting to the pool. As for swimsuits, all i can recommend is getting polyester suit if you'll be swimming in chlorine. I have a speedo endurance once piece and a two piece and they've really stood up. I recently bought a poly TYR two-piece but I haven't worn it because it's a little skimpy for my winter weight! hahaha Embarassed 

Re: blogging and FB - I have an FB profile but you'll get better luck with me here than there. I hardly ever use it for a few reasons. I don't have a blog but i try to keep my log here interesting and I love reading other people's blogs.

2011-01-05 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Wow!  You all have been busy! 

As far as suits go I have one that I bought and it fit great until i got in the pool and it is too big now.  I need to get another one.  So i will be taking all of your suggestions as well!  Thanks Wink

I never have done speedwork.  I am just happy with getting to run and building my base.  I guess as I continue on this venture I will someday need to incorporate speedwork in, but I don't even know where to start and what all the numbers mean!

I do blog and am on facebookLaughing  My blog is not a training blog, but a family blog.  I also have a photography blog that I work on as well (I am an amateur family/infant photographer).  You can check my blogs out at
www.growingreids.blogspot.com

www.sweet-peaphotography.blogspot.com

Got my run in last night and am hoping to get my cardio in after work today.  Can't decide what I want to do for x-training
2011-01-05 10:31 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Debbie - I'm not doing speed work yet either and I am hoping once I start I won't notice.  I specifically told my coach not to label as speed work because I'll get anxious immediately.

I added myself to your blog but there are a LOT of Debbie Reid's on FB so if you could seek me out that would be great, let me know if you need additional info. 

I see from your blog you spent some time in St. Louis which reminds me to ask the question where is everybody from???

I am in Houston and have lived here for 14 years.
Before living here I was in St. Louis for 8 years.
Kansas City, MO before that
Overland Park, Lenexa KS
Denver
Phoenix area

The list goes on, we moved a lot when I was a kid and no, my Dad was not in the military.  LOL

Today was the first day back at school and I miss my boys already.  I homeschool the girls so thankfully they are still here.

I have a run on the calendar today which shouldn't be too hard to accomplish but first we are going to visit a friend whose husband is recovering from cancer.

Happy hump day everyone!
2011-01-05 11:47 AM

Cold Lake

I'm so new to this I don't even know where to start. I added everyone as friends on my training blog although I assure you it is not that exciting. I grew up competitive swimming although I have never been a comptetitive person; it was more about the social component, meeting new people at swim meets than about winning any races.  I just started back in the pool a few months ago when I started lifeguarding again.  I can't remember that last time I rode my bike and although I have tried to take up running many times in the past I have never been successful.

That said I really started training this week for the triathlon I'm hoping to do at the end of May.
Sunday - Swam 600m
Monday - 30mins on a stationary bike
             - Swam 400m
Tuesday - 30mins on the treadmill

The swimming, I've been going at pretty leisurely and it feels great.
The bike... my behind does NOT enjoy. My hubby assures me, it's just cause I'm not used to the seat and it will get better; kind of like how your feet may hurt when you start working long shifts on your feet but eventually you get used to it and they no longer hurt. I don't see how my butt is supposed to get used to it when it's hurts so much I can't even get back on that darned bike and sit again now w/o wincing in pain.
The run... felt good yesterday I could have kept going quite easily with my run/walk program but I thought I should just follow my learn to run program.  Perhaps I'm in better shape than I thought.

My goal is to simply finish my first triathlon.

2011-01-05 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
@DH - I agree Speedwork is tough and little goes a LONG way!!

@Debbie and Keri - Speedwork is actually really easy.  There are several different ways to doing it.  There are fartleks which is where when you're out on a run, you look ahead and decide to sprint to the next mailbox or the next light pole, etc.  or you can be more rigid with it and sprint for 1 min or 1/4 mile etc.  it's basically interval training. 

I've been doing set's of 400's which is however many sets, let's say 7 x 400 meters (1 time around a track or 1/4 mile).  So I do my warm up and then run as fast as I can for 1/4 mile, then try to jog a quarter mile before starting the next set.  I keep going back and forth until all of my sets are completed.  I then do a cool down.  The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to jog for the 1/4 mile recovery periods...I wind up walking which makes me slower overall!!  I think it's just my treadmill...for some reason, I don't enjoy running on it.  It actually seems harder to me and after about a mile...I'm worn out.  Outside, I can do 5+ miles before I start feeling that way!!!    My goal is to work up to Yasso 800's - http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-624-0,00.html

Speedwork is very hard on your body, so it's not recommended more than once a week or even every other week.  If you read through any of Hal Hidgon's stuff he has a lot of good advice on speedwork.

@Keri - Good Idea!  I'm in North Carolina, right on the Hampton Roads, Virgina border.   Originally, I'm from Alabama and was in the Navy, so I've also lived all over!!

Edited by crisi13 2011-01-05 11:51 AM
2011-01-05 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3279690

User image

Champion
Calgary
crisi13 - 2011-01-05 10:50 AM

@DH - I agree Speedwork is tough and little goes a LONG way!!

@Debbie and Keri - Speedwork is actually really easy.  There are several different ways to doing it.  There are fartleks which is where when you're out on a run, you look ahead and decide to sprint to the next mailbox or the next light pole, etc.  or you can be more rigid with it and sprint for 1 min or 1/4 mile etc.  it's basically interval training. 

I've been doing set's of 400's which is however many sets, let's say 7 x 400 meters (1 time around a track or 1/4 mile).  So I do my warm up and then run as fast as I can for 1/4 mile, then try to jog a quarter mile before starting the next set.  I keep going back and forth until all of my sets are completed.  I then do a cool down.  The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to jog for the 1/4 mile recovery periods...I wind up walking which makes me slower overall!!  I think it's just my treadmill...for some reason, I don't enjoy running on it.  It actually seems harder to me and after about a mile...I'm worn out.  Outside, I can do 5+ miles before I start feeling that way!!!    My goal is to work up to Yasso 800's - http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-624-0,00.html

Speedwork is very hard on your body, so it's not recommended more than once a week or even every other week.  If you read through any of Hal Hidgon's stuff he has a lot of good advice on speedwork.

@Keri - Good Idea!  I'm in North Carolina, right on the Hampton Roads, Virgina border.   Originally, I'm from Alabama and was in the Navy, so I've also lived all over!!

ahhh, Yasso 800s, I love those, a great workout, fun and painful but the time really flies by. I got absolutely hooked on them. A great way to judge your training if you do it on the same course. Once I got up to 10 of them I increased the length of the repeats instead of the pace while keeping the recovery the same. Cut me up, you know what I am saying. Man, I was getting fast.

They really take it out of you though. During marathon training I tried to do a speed session, a tempo workout and a long run each week. It was just too much, always one workout was skipped.

I could talk about yasso 800s and variations thereof forever....

2011-01-05 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3274053

User image

Virginia Beach -- Rudee Inlet

That is one pretty bike!!  Love an Orbea.  Very jealous.  I have promised myself a top notch Tri Bike (Cervelo, Orbea or similar...) after I finish my third tri.  Right now I am riding a very adequate MERCIER Galaxy AL. I purchased all of the aluminum and carbon I could at the very lowest price I could find for my first OLY last year just in case I punked out at the last minute.  (I had already entered into the "give a mouse a cookie" plan of triathlon expenditures, and was pretty sure my husband would croak with an off the cuff,  "oh yeah...and I need $4G's for a ps3....) Although the gearing is a little flighty, she got me where I was going, and I smile each time i blow by a rider on a really high dollar bike. (Her name is Fifi...French girl after all..)

2011-01-05 1:08 PM

User image

Upstate NY
Upstate NY here.

Still run outside in the snow and cold, but get stuck on the trainer or in spin classes in the winter.  Swimming tends to be in a pool most of the time anyway, so no difference really.  (except trying to convince yourself to swim when the outside temp is so cold
2011-01-05 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
I currently live and have lived in St. Louis all of my life.  We travel to Chicago every other month to visit my husbands parents because that is where he is from.  We didn't see them but a few times a year until we had our daughter and now that they make an effort I feel like we need to do it back.  I hate that drive!

Oh and on FB I am Debbie Bromeier Reid, that is probably why you couldn't find me.  I don't have access at work or I would request now

Thanks for the advice on speedwork.  It makes me nervous to do it.  Okay and this may be a silly question, but when i trained for my half I just ran that's all.  What is the different between a regular run and a tempo run?
2011-01-05 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Born in Albany, NY.
Lived in Norfolk, VA for a few years.
Moved back to Albany, NY and grew up there.
Moved to Boston after graduating college.
Been in the Boston area for 15 years now.

I had a good (for me) run on the treadmill today.  I ran 3.5 miles and felt really good.  Running has always been a challenge for me, but I'm actually starting to enjoy it.  Did I just say that?!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 35