BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2014-01-05 5:07 PM
in reply to: Antwonathon

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN)
Hi Jim, If you have space for one more, I would like to join your group. Between the Holidays and a trip to Pasadena on short notice, I'm late to the party.

Name: Jim

Story: I am 47 and work as an attorney in rural Northern MI
I ran for fun when I was young but never raced. Then I got married, we had kids, I became distracted, and took a 15 year hiatus from all exercise. When I turned 40 I had an ugly physical. I was 30 lbs overweight. Everything that was supposed to be low was high and everything that was supposed to be high was low. I got mad at myself for letting this happen and decided to lose weight. I started with a diet revamp. I knew that with active kids and a busy life that a special diet would fail plus I really like food. So, I created the "Don't Eat Like a Pig" basically I ate the same foods, just not as much of it, ie: instead of eating half of a pizza I ate 1 slice and a salad. Then started walking, just a mile at first then 2. I lost 35 lbs doing this.
Then I got bored and started looking for something more. I tried softball, but found that the local leagues just used it as a reason to drink, and oh by the way hit a ball. There is a triathlon in our town and in 2009 we were driving through as the athletes were going to T1. I looked and my wife and said, next year I am doing that. She said ok. Then I asked her if she would teach me how to swim, she agreed to that too.
That night I looked up the distances, and the next day decided to run 3 miles. I ran/walked it, and just kept building, then I added biking and then the swim. I did my first tri in September 20010 and was hooked.

Family: Married for 20 years. We have 4 children all active in sports, 3 have tried triathlon and 1 competes with me. We have 3 girls aged 18, 17, 15 and a 13 year old son. The oldest is a freshman in college.

Training: I normally alternate day between run and bike at lunch, as my base and do this year round. This fall things blew apart between work, and family obligations. I did not put in my normal miles and am paying for it. I will resume strength training and add a second shorter workout in the evening to build up strength over the winter. I will do speed work on Saturday and a longer ride and Sunday I rest. My weakness is swimming. I don't have a pool available on a regular basis and it is too cold to swim in Lake Huron until May or June, depending on the Spring.

Races: Last year I did several 5 K's, a 10K, a 15 mile race, a marathon, an Olympic tri and an HIM.
This year will probably be the same with my first race being in 2 weeks which will be a 15 mile night time trail race. I would like to do an IM, the question is going to be when and where.

Why I make a good mentee: I love this sport and want to learn more, so I am always willing to listen and learn. I have been very active in past groups and want to share with other people interested in the sport. I have found that I do better, when I am involved with an active group.

2014-01-05 8:49 PM
in reply to: doxie

User image

Expert

Thanks, Jim! Here's my bio:

NAME: Anthony

FAMILY: 55 years old and married 26 years with 3 kids. Son 25, daughter 24, and son 17. The 2 oldest are out on their own and doing well.

STORY: Lost 40 pounds about 10 years ago so I started running in some local 5 and 10K's. In 2006 I found out there were sprint distance triathlons and not just Ironman so I thought I would give it a try. Luckily I found BT, did my first tri that Summer and have done 4 or 5 tris and a couple of dus each season since then. I do one HIM each year, but I probably won't ever move up to IM. I'm kinda slow but I have lots of fun.

2013: Was still coming back from a January 2012 injury when I slipped while warming up for a 5K and something sort of popped in my hip. HM, American Zofingen Short Course Du (1st in Men 55-59. OK, there were only 2 of us in the AG, but I got a nice beer mug) 3 sprints, an oly and Toughman (NY) HIM.

2013: Definitely a March HM and American Zofingen Du Short Course in May. 1 or 2 olys, 1 or 2 sprints, and a September HIM. Either Rev 3 Poconos, or HITS Hunter Mountain for the HIM, but I haven't decided which one I will do for sure yet.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently focused on running in preperation for my March HM.  Luckily, I really love running in the Winter, so my running has been good. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of cycling when it gets below 40 degrees, I don't like the trainer, and I have trouble motivating myself to get to the Y and swim, so my riding and swimming falls off in the Winter. I plan to do better this year.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I generally prefer to defer to the experts when it comes to training advice, but I feel I have some experience that could be helpful. My favorite part of being in a group is checking out everybody's training log and giving some "inspires".

2014-01-06 8:52 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by JBacarella Hi Jim, If you have space for one more, I would like to join your group. Between the Holidays and a trip to Pasadena on short notice, I'm late to the party. Name: Jim Story: I am 47 and work as an attorney in rural Northern MI

Why I make a good mentee: I love this sport and want to learn more, so I am always willing to listen and learn. I have been very active in past groups and want to share with other people interested in the sport. I have found that I do better, when I am involved with an active group.

Welcome Jim!

Hi temp is supposed to be minus 17 in my neck of the woods today....public schools are closed which means my pool is also closed.

2014-01-06 9:23 AM
in reply to: Antwonathon

User image

Regular
Chicago

Originally posted by Antwonathon
Originally posted by doxie Hey Anthony - Would you be interested in working with a coach? A couple of years ago I took the swim "technique level 1" class with CES and I loved it. I really made significant improvements in my swimming. It's at UIC on Tuesday nights. You sound a little advanced for level 1, though, so I would suggest level 2 or just jumping in with the master's class. You would get more individual instruction with the level 2 class, but don't be intimidated by the master's  - it's all triathletes & it's focused toward such. I'd say at 2:00/100yd you would fit right in. Sorry for the PSA, but if you are looking for a coach or instruction in the Chicago area, I really recommend it.

Melissa

Thanks Melissa! I've just started looking into masters groups. This would work out great for me. I work downtown so I can hop on the El and zip over there. I would like to just jump in the masters swim class, but in going with Scott's advice I think the Level 2 class with more instruction might be a little more beneficial to me now. Then I can graduate up to the masters.

Let me know if you sign up - my practice immediately follows you guys at UIC.

2014-01-06 1:36 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by JBacarella Hi Jim, If you have space for one more, I would like to join your group. Between the Holidays and a trip to Pasadena on short notice, I'm late to the party. Name: Jim Story: I am 47 and work as an attorney in rural Northern MI

Welcome Jim!

Hi temp is supposed to be minus 17 in my neck of the woods today....public schools are closed which means my pool is also closed.

We were at a solid 10 when I went home for lunch. We don't have school today either because of the snow storm that hit. It was mostly downstate where they got over a foot. We got about 4 inches here. We are supposed to drop below 0 tonight and into tomorrow. I missed last week's freeze when it got down to -17. It made Southern Cal that much nicer.
Thanks for letting me in.
2014-01-06 1:40 PM
in reply to: trei

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: The Same or Different?

Originally posted by trei Got my first swim of 2014 in this morning. And it was rough getting up to -10 degrees below zero outside to get in the car to go to the pool. Thankfully, once immersed in the warm water all was right with the world (other than the fact that I really let my swimming lapse since September). Jim, when you get a chance could you maybe list your favorite IM venues. I'm looking at doing another probably in 2016. I'd mainly be interested in "atmosphere" and scenery on the course - not so much challenge or trying to PR. Thanks. Todd

OK, as I mentioned there are several exciting new venues available in North America that I haven't been to so you have to take my input below with a grain of salt. As Scott mentioned, Tahoe is one of the exciting new venues. I'm sure it is tops as far as scenery goes but I haven't heard feedback on spectator support, etc if that is important to you. Anyway, here are the venues I've raced and some thoughts on each:

IM Mont-Tremblant (Quebec) - I simply cannot say enough nice things about this venue...I love it. It has been in existence only 2 years but you would think that the organizers have been putting this race on for a decade...they do a tremendous job. The venue is based at Mont-Tremblant ski village and you basically feel like the village belongs to the racers for the weekend. It has a very European feel to it due to the French influence. The swim course is on a lake that is simply gorgeous with a great view of the ski area. It also has a very nice beach for family activities. When you exit the swim you have a 300 meter run to the T1 tent. The 2 loop bike course has 2 different sections to it with vary different feels to each. Much of the course is on a major highway but they close down the northbound section of the highway so it is very safe. The surrounding scenery is very nice with mountains on each side in the distance. This section is not very difficult and it has a couple of long gradual climbs as well descents. Before returning to Mont-Tremblant you do a short out and back thru the town of Saint-Jovite. Before heading into the village for bike special needs on the first lap you do another long out and back towards Lac Superior that is heavily forested and has several very steep climbs. You simply have to spin up these climbs and not attack them or you'll pay for it on the run.  As you leave T2 for the 2 loop run course you head out along the lake towards the village of Mont-Tremblant.  There are a couple of climbs on this stretch that you will want to watch your pace on.  After you run through the village you will enter the long out and back on Le P' Train du Nord (Linear Park) which is an abandoned railroad bed.  Much of this section is heavily forested and provides a good amount of shade.  Not many spectators on this stretch which I like because you can concentrate on the task at hand.  You run thru the ski village on the first lap which is a nice morale boost.  Finally, you finish right in the village as well and the path leading to the finish line has tons of spectators on each side cheering you on...the best IM finish area I've experienced so far.  I raced here both years since it started and will be doing the 70.3 and full IM distance this summer.

IM Wisconsin (Madison, WI) - I've raced there 5 times and have trained on the course several times as well since its only a 4 hour drive from where I live. I put together a BT mini training camp at the venue and BT posted a video of it here....I just noticed that it has been viewed over 11,600 times!!!! Of all the Ironman venues I've been to I would have to say that the crowd support/atmosphere in Madison and surrounding areas is tops and it is easy for your family to see you several times on the run loop. Crowd support may or may not be important to you. The swim course is on a lake and spectator viewing is unbelievable from Monona Terrace which overlooks the lake. The bike course is a 16 mile ride out to "the loop" which you do twice and return to Madison. The course has a lot of turns on it which to me frankly gets a little irritating. It has tons of rollers which forces you to constantly be paying attention to gearing and making sure you don't drop a chain during the transition from a downhill to an uphill There are several tough hills on the loop but they are not very long...they will bite you on the second time around if you hit them too hard. The scenery cannot compete with mountainous venues as the bike course goes through mostly farmland surrounding Madison but it is not a solid cornfield either. The run course loops thru Madison twice and has tons of spectators. You actually get to run around the football field inside Camp Randall where the U of WI team plays.

IM Canada - Penticton - DISCLAIMER....there is no longer a WTC race in Penticton as IM Canada has moved to Whistler, BC. However, there is a new Challenge series ironman distance race there if you aren't tied to an Ironman brand race. This used to be my favorite venue prior to seeing Mont Tremblant, as the area is beautiful. The bike course is truly epic and you are actually climbing mountains...not hills. I was sad to see WTC move to Whistler but now Whistler is one of the venues I'd like to race.

IM Couer D'Alene   Its been quite a while since I raced CDA.  The surrounding area is very nice with mountains surrounding the area.  Lake conditions can be very cold since its in June.  The bike is not very difficult but I have heard that is has changed since I was there.  The run has a climb (or used to) on the farthest out point but not too terrible.  I would rate crowd support as fair and pretty much limited to the town itself.  Having this race in June makes it harder for northern climate racers to prepare for.  This is a nice venue but I can't say it really "grabbed me" very much.  Not sure why.

IM Arizona (Tempe, AZ) I raced here this past November and had a nice result but I can't say I liked this venue very much at all - I'm not a desert person.  I had a hotel just a couple blocks from transition which was nice, but it seemed like you were surrounded by major highways and there where jets flying overhead all day long - it wasn't very relaxing.  The swim is in Tempe Town Lake which is basically a wide canal.  You can only do a practice swim during a specified couple of hours on Saturday since the lake is closed otherwise.  The 3 loop bike course is pretty much flat but there is a gradual climb to the turnaround point out in the desert...I guess if you like desert its nice scenery but....meh.  There is talk of making this a 2 loop bike course next year.  The run course is along both sides of Tempe Town Lake and very boring and very sunny....there is NO SHADE.  Luckily they switched the race timing from April to November so the temps weren't too bad.  There is pretty good crowd support in town and along some sections of the run course.  Not much on the bike except for the turnaround in town.  I would say the "vibe" of the venue is OK as far as IM races go but as I said I did not find it very relaxing - the polar opposite of Mont-Tremblant.  Regardless, this race sells out in minutes each year probably because its a fairly "easy" course and the timing seems to work for many.

Those are the venues I've raced and there are lots more I want to do.  Lake Placid, Whistler, and Tahoe are on my short list of ones I want to do.  Oh.....there is another one on some island in the Pacific that I want to do as well........ :-)

2014-01-06 5:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Hi Jim,

Have room for 1 more?

NAME: stevepiv / Steven

STORY: In the spring of ’09 I started getting depressed about the fact that I was going to be turning 40 in September. I committed to myself that I would be in the best shape of my life for that birthday and signed up for a sprint triathlon. It worked! I trained my heart out, got into great shape, had a really good first race (Sprint in Long Branch, NJ Sep ’09) and am now totally hooked on the sport and am proud to officially be 2x Ironman finisher (IM Lake Placid in '11 and Austria in '13) with many 70.3's and Oly's in addition.

FAMILY STATUS: I live in Middlesex County New Jersey, have been married for 22 years and have 2 girls ages 20 and 14. This hobby would not be possible without their support. I do try for training not to get in the way of too many things. That means less late night TV and early rises before the family and work day begins.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am on a 19 week IM training program (from this site) for IM Cabo in May and will continue to training for a Mt. McKinley Summit in June. I'm also signed up for IM 70.3 Princeton.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 6' tall. Since I've started training last month I'm down to185 and would like to go another 10 lbs.
2014-01-06 6:58 PM
in reply to: stevepiv

User image

Veteran
Todays temp with the wind chill was -50, so it was a treadmill run for me. I really don't like the treadmill, all that work and I'm not going anywhere. But hopefully next week I'll be able to get back outside and in the fresh air. Going to swim tomorrow, at least it will be in a heated pool which will be nice after braving another round of -50 degree weather.

Beth
2014-01-06 9:06 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by stevepiv Hi Jim, Have room for 1 more? NAME: stevepiv / Steven STORY: In the spring of ’09 I started getting depressed about the fact that I was going to be turning 40 in September. I committed to myself that I would be in the best shape of my life for that birthday and signed up for a sprint triathlon. It worked! I trained my heart out, got into great shape, had a really good first race (Sprint in Long Branch, NJ Sep ’09) and am now totally hooked on the sport and am proud to officially be 2x Ironman finisher (IM Lake Placid in '11 and Austria in '13) with many 70.3's and Oly's in addition. FAMILY STATUS: I live in Middlesex County New Jersey, have been married for 22 years and have 2 girls ages 20 and 14. This hobby would not be possible without their support. I do try for training not to get in the way of too many things. That means less late night TV and early rises before the family and work day begins. CURRENT TRAINING: I am on a 19 week IM training program (from this site) for IM Cabo in May and will continue to training for a Mt. McKinley Summit in June. I'm also signed up for IM 70.3 Princeton. WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 6' tall. Since I've started training last month I'm down to185 and would like to go another 10 lbs.

Welcome Steve!!

2014-01-07 6:52 AM

User image

Pro

This cold weather really affected my training yesterday!  Schools, and therefore my pool was closed so the scheduled swim was out.  Our high was supposed to be around minus 12 so I gave up on trying to x-c ski and instead was going to do a short run on the office dreadmill at lunch and then do a bike workout on the computrainer at night.  I got the run in OK, but on the way home I got a flat tire.  Normally that would not be a big deal but I wasn't looking forward to changing the tire in those temps.  Unfortunately, the spare tire holder underneath the car had corroded and wouldn't budge.  Called AAA and was on hold for over 40 minutes so I gave up and called a local tow company to haul my vehicle to the tire store to leave it overnight.  Luckily the tow company agreed to drive me home...but for a very steep price.  I didn't get home until 9 PM and was in no mood to jump on the bike for an hour.  Morale of the story is....life gets in the way of training.  So, if you can arrange any workouts earlier in the day to ensure they get done it will guard against the unexpected popping up.

2014-01-07 10:40 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Jim -- been wanting to ask you this for a bit.

Being from Calgary, I've done the Penticton course officially twice, but biked and ran most of it many more times.

Can you talk to me about what you feel are the difference in the bike and run courses?

Which do you deem 'harder?' Why?

I liked your write up on all the IM tracks you've been a part of.
Being from the West, we have alot of people that head down to IMAZ in the fall. Glad to see you share my sentiment about that course, and area!

2014-01-07 12:11 PM
in reply to: doxie

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by doxie

Originally posted by Antwonathon
Originally posted by doxie Hey Anthony - Would you be interested in working with a coach? A couple of years ago I took the swim "technique level 1" class with CES and I loved it. I really made significant improvements in my swimming. It's at UIC on Tuesday nights. You sound a little advanced for level 1, though, so I would suggest level 2 or just jumping in with the master's class. You would get more individual instruction with the level 2 class, but don't be intimidated by the master's  - it's all triathletes & it's focused toward such. I'd say at 2:00/100yd you would fit right in. Sorry for the PSA, but if you are looking for a coach or instruction in the Chicago area, I really recommend it.

Melissa

Thanks Melissa! I've just started looking into masters groups. This would work out great for me. I work downtown so I can hop on the El and zip over there. I would like to just jump in the masters swim class, but in going with Scott's advice I think the Level 2 class with more instruction might be a little more beneficial to me now. Then I can graduate up to the masters.

Let me know if you sign up - my practice immediately follows you guys at UIC.

I'm about 99% sure I'm doing the Level 2 class (gotta save up a bit over the next couple weeks). The class starts Feb 18th so it gives me a little more time to decide...and save. I'll let you know when I 100% decide.
2014-01-07 1:45 PM
in reply to: TrevorC

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TrevorC Jim -- been wanting to ask you this for a bit. Being from Calgary, I've done the Penticton course officially twice, but biked and ran most of it many more times. Can you talk to me about what you feel are the difference in the bike and run courses? Which do you deem 'harder?' Why? I liked your write up on all the IM tracks you've been a part of. Being from the West, we have alot of people that head down to IMAZ in the fall. Glad to see you share my sentiment about that course, and area!

Hmmmm...that's an interesting question.  I think for me the run course was harder psychologically because it is one big out and back so you know you have to "pay for" the same real estate twice.  Plus, there was a little out and back near the finish that ran along the lakeshore so it was quite the tease to know where the finish line was but you had to do another couple miles (forget the distance) before finishing.  As far as the difficulty of the run course I didn't think it was too bad.  There are some hills that you have to deal with but nothing outrageous.

As I mentioned in my IM course overview, I think the Penticton bike course is truly epic.  Heading out towards the mountains you know what is looming ahead of you.  Then you start the climbs into the mountain passes and it is just a matter of being patient and spinning up. Those are not just your run of the mill ironman course hill.   The descents on the return back to Penticton are just as epic.  The first year I did the race it was raining and cold.  I hadn't dressed for that kind of weather and my whole body was shivering on the descent to the point where I feared losing control of my steering.  Some of those wet curves were outright dangerous and I'm not kidding when I say I feared for my life for a split second a couple times.  It took me several miles on the run for my feet to warm up to where I could feel them again. 

I think the run and bike courses are so different (other than the obvious length difference) that its hard to compare them.  Not sure if that was what you are looking for?

2014-01-07 2:28 PM

Jim (and others....) - quick question about working in bricks into your training program. As part of my usual training, I've been doing one Olympic distance bike-run brick roughly every week (right now, on indoor bike and treadmill). I think it's a valuable pat of my training and a good weekly test of my fitness. That said, from what I see in alot of training plans, they don't call for that many of bricks. There are long run days, long bike sessions, intervals, etc...but not that many bricks.

So, here's my question - am I over doing it with a weekly brick? Should I use the time more effectively for a long bike session or a long run?

Just wondering what you think. Thanks.

2014-01-07 2:57 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
IMO - I don't think you're overdoing it at all. I try to get a real brick in once a week and I also try to get in 1 to 2 miles after every bike just to get the legs totally accustomed to running off the bike (i was much better at keeping to this routine last year)
2014-01-07 4:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: Garmin 910XT and general
We talked earlier about the Garmin 910XT and some other devices for tracking training. I am on only my third day of using the 910XT and I have to say I love it. It collects a lot of data that seems usable in evaluation and decision making for further training. I did have to get some help getting it all set up because there are a lot of quirks but I really like it.

On another note. I am signed up for Ironman Canada which is the end of July. I do not want to jeopardize my performance but I would like to do some other races. Any recommendation on what a good length is and how long I should allow for recovery before Canada. This is my first full. I have done one half before and a lot of sprints and Olympics. Thanks for the input.

Scott

2014-01-07 6:14 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

Jim (and others....) - quick question about working in bricks into your training program. As part of my usual training, I've been doing one Olympic distance bike-run brick roughly every week (right now, on indoor bike and treadmill). I think it's a valuable pat of my training and a good weekly test of my fitness. That said, from what I see in alot of training plans, they don't call for that many of bricks. There are long run days, long bike sessions, intervals, etc...but not that many bricks.

So, here's my question - am I over doing it with a weekly brick? Should I use the time more effectively for a long bike session or a long run?

To me the important part of the brick is to get used to running after being on the bike for an extended period of time. My hamstrings are so stretched from the bike that my running form is normally different for the first 2 to 3 miles. I normally don't do many bricks, mostly in the month prior to a race, just to reacquaint myself with the feeling.
2014-01-07 11:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

I think you have a good idea of once a week. Any time you mix up your training you are causing your body to adapt which ultimately makes you a better athlete. It also keeps you out of a rut and forces muscles to develop. I say go for it. Just my two cents.
2014-01-08 6:32 AM
in reply to: holt1997

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Love your thoughts on the western/northern courses...anyone got some personal intel on, oh, I don't know, Louisville? (I've read a bunch of the race reports already, just wondering if anyone here has any personal experience.)

So a couple of trainer/bike questions...since it's a really unpleasant temperature here for Virginia and my blood has thinned in the 7 years since I was a midwesterner.

Question 1 - I have a road bike and a tri bike. I put speed/cadence sensor on the roadie because I prefer to ride that one on the trainer. That being said, I know I should devote some of this winter to getting more comfortable on the tri bike (bought it last season) and working on my aero core. My training plan has me riding 3-4x a week - my plan is to do the 2 harder sessions on the roadie, so I can watch the power graphs, and then 1 longer slow/endurance ride on the tri bike. Does that make sense? Is there a smarter way?

And then question 2 - last year I rode the stock saddle that came with the tri bike. I'm thinking it is time to invest in a better saddle, because I don't really like the one on it...but how long do I need to ride it to decide whether it's the saddle or the change in position? The bike was professionally fit when I bought it. I know I've been riding it for a season, so I should know whether I like the saddle, but I'm considering this year as kind of starting over as far as cycling goes, since I'm putting more effort into it than I have previously. Anyway, so I'm wondering - a month? Two months? If I'm only riding it for 1 long ride/week...when should I start saddle shopping, if necessary?
2014-01-08 10:33 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by LarchmontTri Jim (and others....) - quick question about working in bricks into your training program. As part of my usual training, I've been doing one Olympic distance bike-run brick roughly every week (right now, on indoor bike and treadmill). I think it's a valuable pat of my training and a good weekly test of my fitness. That said, from what I see in alot of training plans, they don't call for that many of bricks. There are long run days, long bike sessions, intervals, etc...but not that many bricks. So, here's my question - am I over doing it with a weekly brick? Should I use the time more effectively for a long bike session or a long run? Just wondering what you think. Thanks.

I'm developing a response to the brick question but I had to search for an article I found several years ago, so I will get back to you ASAP

2014-01-08 10:34 AM

User image

Pro

here's an aerial view of the Mont-Tremblant venue that I think is pretty cool

(sitetremblant.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
sitetremblant.jpg (472KB - 5 downloads)

2014-01-08 11:55 AM

User image

Pro

and the finish line area....

(1308184252.jpg)

(1308182672.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1308184252.jpg (537KB - 4 downloads)
1308182672.jpg (534KB - 4 downloads)
2014-01-08 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Hi. If you have room for one more, I would like to join this group. I completed my first Ironman in Florida and have definitely been bitten by the long coarse bug!!
2014-01-08 7:01 PM
in reply to: CarlG

User image

Pro

Originally posted by CarlG Hi. If you have room for one more, I would like to join this group. I completed my first Ironman in Florida and have definitely been bitten by the long coarse bug!!

Welcome Carl...congrats on your Ironman finish.  My condolences for catching the bug :-)

2014-01-08 9:55 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by LarchmontTri Jim (and others....) - quick question about working in bricks into your training program. As part of my usual training, I've been doing one Olympic distance bike-run brick roughly every week (right now, on indoor bike and treadmill). I think it's a valuable pat of my training and a good weekly test of my fitness. That said, from what I see in alot of training plans, they don't call for that many of bricks. There are long run days, long bike sessions, intervals, etc...but not that many bricks. So, here's my question - am I over doing it with a weekly brick? Should I use the time more effectively for a long bike session or a long run? Just wondering what you think. Thanks.

The topic of brick runs is often a controversial one in discussion forums, and has actually resulted in a thread here on BT being pulled by the moderators because the arguments got so heated.   Before I go into answering the question I will say that it’s my belief that there is no right answer. It depends on the athlete, their background, goals, ability to recover and absorb training, etc. Frankly, if I hear anyone say that brick runs have absolutely zero place in triathlon training I usually immediately discount their credibility. So much is unknown.

To answer the question posed, I would first say that you don’t really need to “test your fitness” on a weekly basis. Sure, we are constantly assessing our general fitness in our mind (almost daily), but since physiological adaptations to training stresses takes weeks to become evident it usually is best to objectively assess fitness (via field testing) about every 6 weeks or so.  The second part of your question is whether or not you are overdoing it with a weekly brick of Olympic distance. Early in the year when you are in a more general phase of training you might not need to do a weekly brick as you describe. You are probably better off addressing your weaknesses. As your goal race approaches and you enter the specific phase of training then a weekly brick may be more appropriate.

I definitely think brick runs have a place in Ironman training and tri training in general. I think it is simply silly to say they have no benefit whatsoever - and many people say that. Triathlon is one sport...a swim followed by a bike followed by a run. I get very irritated when a "know it all" coach or athlete says that the only way to become a better runner is to do high quality runs on rested legs. I would agree. However, I do not advocate giving up high quality runs in order to do brick runs. I believe you improve your general running fitness thru high quality run workouts. But I also believe you can become a better triathlete through occasional brick runs that are more than just a 1-2 mile transition run. One of my training buddies that has qualified for Kona twice will do some 10 mile brick runs after a 50-70 mile ride. I'm not going to argue with his success. Some might say he was a good athlete that happened to qualify despite wasting his time on such long brick runs. I disagree. Running on tired legs can make you a better triathlete - AS LONG AS YOU RECOVER PROPERLY AND HAVE THE EXPERIENCE TO PULL THIS TYPE OF TRAINING OFF. I don't advocate doing long brick runs very often either. If someone doesn't have the necessary years of training in their legs they will spend too much time recovering which will decrease the amount of quality training the rest of the week.

For beginners, the occasional short run (1-3 miles) after a bike workout are a good way to experience the transition from the bike to run during training so you know what to expect going into your first races. Also, if you are in a low volume training program and you are strapped for time then a short run after a bike is a way to make efficient use of your time. Bottom line is...there is no RIGHT answer. It all depends on the individual athlete and whether they can handle it. If they are beginners I would not advocate many (any?) long brick runs. They are better off doing their brick runs as part of their B and C races preparing for their A race.

Practicing your nutrition plan for longer races is an important reason for doing longer brick runs. Ask yourself, are you going to restrict testing of your Ironman nutrition plan to just your long ride? Really? How do you know if your plan will work if you don’t continue into a longer brick run after your bike? Do you think simply doing a short transition run after your bike is enough to find out if your nutrition plan will successfully carry you into your run? The alternative is to wait until your actual Ironman race to try out your nutrition plan. If it doesn’t work you likely will have to wait a year to try out another plan.

For those that want to get a little more geeky about this….here is an abstract of a study that examined the effect of biking on muscle activation during the run. Essentially what they did is compared muscle activation of a "bike to run" to a "run to run" and found a significant difference in muscle activation in the 2 study groups. Admittedly, the test distances in the study are not long. But, if there's a difference in how your body functions then you should be able to train it to be able to be more efficient in a run off the bike.   What I get out of the abstract of the paper is that your running muscles are acting differently after a bike session than they are compared to a standalone run session. To me this makes perfect sense. If you do a hard effort on the bike during an Olympic, HIM or IM your body has undergone a stress, and there is no way in the world you are going to convince me that your body's posture and running gait off the bike are going to be exactly the same as if you are starting a standalone run (however slight the difference). So, due to micro differences in your posture/gait you are going to be recruiting muscles in a slightly different way coming off the bike compared to a standalone run. In addition, because bike muscles have been previously fatigued from the bike (in a way that standalone run training can't mimic), and I'm sure at least some (many?) of those bike muscles are used in run mechanics, they will not contribute to your running mechanics the exact same way they did compared to a standalone run. Your body now has to find a way to run fast using your leg muscles that have been fatigued in a way that a standalone run can never duplicate. To me, this presents an opportunity for training. There is just no way you’ll convince me that a brick run does not impart a different training effect than a pure standalone run. This is training for triathlon running, not standalone running, and if specificity is supposed to be a good thing, then training by running off the bike is a lot more specific way to train than a standalone run. Triathlon is one sport, not three. Sorry for the long ramble……

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 17

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 19436 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 62393 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 26, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Highlights of Beginner Triathlete Members at the Ironman World Championships

date : October 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
A look at Beginner Triathlete members racing in Kona from qualifying to training to family.
date : March 27, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
It's a lot easier to be really fit and fast than really healthy and happy.

date : September 15, 2011
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.