BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-05-26 9:35 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You (Open)
Hopefully there is still room in the group!

NAME: Elizabeth
STORY: I recently lost 80 lbs and taking away my coping mechanism of eating, I needed something new. Exercise is ALMOST as good as overeating I am a former soccer player and very athletic. Want to lose 15 more lbs to get to my goal weight and exercise to gain energy, relaxation and stress relief.
FAMILY STATUS: single
CURRENT TRAINING: Started last week, it was great! Took discipline and planning but loved it.
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Chicago Triathlon (Olympic) at the end of August
BODY COMPOSITION: 15 lbs away from goal weight. Pretty fit but with a lot of belly fat I'd like to get rid of.

2014-05-26 10:00 AM
in reply to: tarheelinchi

Also, on the olympic training plan 2x, when it says "long swim", "long bike", "short swim" etc. I have no clue what distances those are. Any help would be great!
2014-05-26 10:28 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

I love it, but am off it for now.  Seems every time I get back into it and am getting all zen in nature - BAM - another twist of my previously broken ankle.  Happens about every 2-3 years for the past 2 decades… you'd think I'd learn.

No, actually, we don't think that.  But seriously, it's very understandable to try and figure out how to do something that is or seems fun.

I asked in TT about trail shoes a while back but didn't get much of a response.  I'm not sure if that would help a lot, but I can say that Newtons/ASICS/Saucony/ASICS/ASICS in road shoe models don't work well off-road (duh).    Like I said, every few years… 

It's a fairly complex question, even though it seems simple. Road running is fairly simple by comparison as all you're doing is going straight forward. The trails will add several new dynamics such as the lateral support and surface composition. It also depends more on support areas and might not be possible to just get a new pair of shoes to fix. You may need to add in some other types of development to catch up so that you can handle it. Some of it could be learning to take it easier and allow this to develop just by running on them as well. Your body is stressed differently and it can take some time to learn. Often can't push quite as hard as we need the control. Very possible to push these other supports farther than we think and get ourselves into trouble.

2014-05-26 10:30 AM
in reply to: tarheelinchi

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by tarheelinchi Hopefully there is still room in the group! NAME: Elizabeth STORY: I recently lost 80 lbs and taking away my coping mechanism of eating, I needed something new. Exercise is ALMOST as good as overeating I am a former soccer player and very athletic. Want to lose 15 more lbs to get to my goal weight and exercise to gain energy, relaxation and stress relief. FAMILY STATUS: single CURRENT TRAINING: Started last week, it was great! Took discipline and planning but loved it. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Chicago Triathlon (Olympic) at the end of August BODY COMPOSITION: 15 lbs away from goal weight. Pretty fit but with a lot of belly fat I'd like to get rid of.

Hi, Elizabeth! Welcome to BT and the Manatees!

"Short" and "long" refer to how much time is in the training sessions. You'll see that, for example, one of the two swims is about half the time of the other--so those are the short and long swims.

Those notes are at the bottom of the training plan month blocks so that you can see how your week is organized in terms of training sessions; e.g., Monday is short swim and short bike, Tuesday is long bike, Wednesday is short run (not necessarily how it goes for your specific plan but you get the idea). So almost all your training weeks on that plan will fit that pattern, even though the time doing the training sessions increases overall.

2014-05-26 1:42 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Hi, Elizabeth, and Debi, I forgot to say welcome to you earlier.  You'll love this group.  Fun, supportive, tough when needed and an all-around great gang.  Welcome to the pod!

2014-05-26 4:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hi there,

I'm a complete newbie and was hoping to join this group?

Below is my bio.. but let me know if I need to do something else to join...

NAME: Sonya

STORY: Last year I took up running to challenge my former belief that I was not a runner... and I loved it. I completed the Sydney City 2 Surf (14km) and my first half Marathon (21km/13mi) but suffered a knee injury from over training so then took 6 months off. I'm basically starting at almost ground zero. My knee has recovered and I'm currently running about 20/30mins 3 times a week, doing yoga and some strength work. I love setting myself personal challenges so I signed up for my first Triathlon which is in October. It's only a baby one (300m swim/ 9km cycle and 3km run) but the swim will be my challenge. My hope as well is that Tri's will now damage my knee... and create more all round fitness. Part of the draw of Tri's as well is connecting with other like minded people. I'm in Sydney Aus...

FAMILY STATUS: Defacto - no kids - large rescue Greyhound dog

CURRENT TRAINING: No Tri specific training as yet - but have been building up the runs again for City2Surf in August. I have checked out the training plans on BT and am keen to give the 16 week spring 2x Balanced program a go and would need to start in June.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: City2Surf 14km August, Pink Triathlon October, 3 day Great Ocean Road Trek October.

BODY COMPOSITION: Would love to return to my running weight from last year which was around 60kgs... so need to drop a few.

Thanks!
Sonya

Edited by sonyaforrest 2014-05-26 4:53 PM

2014-05-26 5:10 PM
in reply to: sonyaforrest

User image

Denver, CO

Hiya, Sonya.  You put your bio up and that's it:  you're a Manatee now!  Welcome!   

2014-05-26 5:47 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

Welcome Elizabeth and Sonya!

2014-05-26 5:51 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Orlando

Welcome all the new Manatees!!! Looks like we have another person who will drive me crazy talking in kms!!!

2014-05-26 5:54 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

Originally posted by amd723

Welcome all the new Manatees!!! Looks like we have another person who will drive me crazy talking in kms!!!

Heh heh heh.  kilometers are better.  They are shorter.  Running 21 km sounds so much more impressive than 13 miles  Although, when Salty does 13 miles in the same amount of time as I do 13 km....not really so much.

2014-05-26 5:56 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Yay - thank you!

2014-05-26 5:56 PM

User image

Ha ha - sorry about that. If you prefer I convert everything to miles let me know.
2014-05-26 6:01 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by sonyaforrest Ha ha - sorry about that. If you prefer I convert everything to miles let me know.

No!  Don't do it!  We mustn't bow down to the 'Muricans!    THEY should convert to km.  Feet, yards, miles--they don't even make sense!!  How many feet in a yard?  How many yards in a mile??  1000m=1km.  Simple! 

ETA: Don't be scared, Sonya, I just have to give the US Manatees a hard time.  It's part of the fun in here!

Edited by bcraht 2014-05-26 6:02 PM
2014-05-26 6:02 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by sonyaforrest Ha ha - sorry about that. If you prefer I convert everything to miles let me know.

No need.  I'll do it to exercise my brain In fact, I may have to start using kms myself, so I can fool myself into thinking I'm fast

2014-05-26 6:03 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by bcraht

No!  Don't do it!  We mustn't bow down to the 'Muricans!    THEY should convert to km.  Feet, yards, miles--they don't even make sense!!  How many feet in a yard?  How many yards in a mile??  1000m=1km.  Simple! 

ETA: Don't be scared, Sonya, I just have to give the US Manatees a hard time.  It's part of the fun in here!

See, we Muricans don't need those simple things - we like to make everything complicated and like are uniqueness !!

2014-05-26 6:05 PM

User image

Master

See, we Muricans don't need those simple things - we like to make everything complicated and like are uniqueness !!

So are your Sbux orders like a tall double caf americano machiatto skinny light on the whip?

Cause mine is like "Grande dark roast"

Edited by bcraht 2014-05-26 6:05 PM

2014-05-26 6:07 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

So are your Sbux orders like a tall double caf americano machiatto skinny light on the whip?

Cause mine is like "Grande dark roast"

Ha, ha.  Mine is usually a Venti decaf (don't judge) black.  But, I did just get a decaf grande skinny 1 splenda mocha!

2014-05-26 6:09 PM

User image

Master

No judgement here.  I have started to go half caf.  My heart does funny things with too much caffeine.

2014-05-26 6:44 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

pk, for all the dog (and cat) loving manatees; here's a cute overload video  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXAy_QU5WE8

2014-05-26 6:46 PM

User image

Elite

Love km's and degrees Celsius...
2014-05-26 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by sonyaforrest

Ha ha - sorry about that. If you prefer I convert everything to miles let me know.
Hi Sonya great to have another Aussie - that makes 3 of us.
Don't convert for them, it's good to make them realise they are the only country stuck in the dark ages every now and then
(Saying that I sometimes do)

2014-05-26 7:22 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK
Hi Sonya great to have another Aussie - that makes 3 of us. Don't convert for them, it's good to make them realise they are the only country stuck in the dark ages every now and then (Saying that I sometimes do)

I'm not feeling the love here

2014-05-26 7:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
My race report from the USO Shadow Country Music HM yesterday.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

I will post pics when I get some.
2014-05-26 8:59 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by StaceyK
Hi Sonya great to have another Aussie - that makes 3 of us. Don't convert for them, it's good to make them realise they are the only country stuck in the dark ages every now and then (Saying that I sometimes do)

I believe that "Myanmar (the country formerly known as Burma)" - note how that always goes together - is also on the foot/second/slug/gallon (aka, Imperial?) system.  See, we're not alone!  (although not exactly in good company)  

If we were meant to use the metric system, we'd have evolved to have 10 fingers and 10 toes, thank you very much!

Still think we should just cut over.  It works in medicine and science - yes, even in the US - so it should be OK in the kitchen and all those non-5k/10k/Oly races we also run...

AND WELCOME TO THE NEW MANATEES!  

Matt

2014-05-26 9:26 PM

User image

Denver, CO

No judgement here.  I have started to go half caf.  My heart does funny things with too much caffeine.

I started drinking half caf when I was having major problems with anxiety.  Not fun to start the day feeling like there was a hive of bees buzzing in my chest.  Not  much of a problem now but if I drink full caf, I feel like a 45 being played on 78 (that's a reference to record player speeds for all you young-uns).  For the record (ahem), when I order coffee instead of making it, I get a simple 1/2 caf (or sometimes decaf if I've already had some) Americano with room for cream, or else a soy chai.  LOVE chai.  I could drink that stuff for days!  Every now and then if I'm feeling decadent, I'll get a vanilla hazelnut latte, which has enough sugar in it to power a small country, or steamed milk with cinnamon syrup.

I like the idea of switching to kms to make runs sound longer.  I was trying to convert yards to mile 10ths last night.  I fell asleep before I could figure it out.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.