of 60

2014-06-17 1:09 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion
Originally posted by jford2309

Me and Jesse (5yr old son) have a new night time ritual that we have been doing the past couple of nights! About 30 minutes before his bed time, we go out and catch those fire flies in a jar! Every night we have caught about 15 and then he places them in his room and watches them until he falls asleep! It was hilarious that first night! Everytime they would blink, he would yell "Dada, their flashing again!" It is so much fun hanging out with him and doing the little stuff!

I'll never forget the first time my nephew (from Seattle) saw a lightning bug -- he came running into the house and said `There's something out there and their eyes are glowing!' I went out to see and sure enough, it was fireflies. I was all `Dude, it's not off in the distance, it's right here.' and reached out and grabbed one. Oh, the mind of a child.

2014-06-17 1:44 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by mr2tony

Me and Jesse (5yr old son) have a new night time ritual that we have been doing the past couple of nights! About 30 minutes before his bed time, we go out and catch those fire flies in a jar! Every night we have caught about 15 and then he places them in his room and watches them until he falls asleep! It was hilarious that first night! Everytime they would blink, he would yell "Dada, their flashing again!" It is so much fun hanging out with him and doing the little stuff!

I'll never forget the first time my nephew (from Seattle) saw a lightning bug -- he came running into the house and said `There's something out there and their eyes are glowing!' I went out to see and sure enough, it was fireflies. I was all `Dude, it's not off in the distance, it's right here.' and reached out and grabbed one. Oh, the mind of a child.

My little guy is always wanting to try and cacth a bird for some reason, so today, I made him and his brothers come up with a trap and actually try to catch one. The wife said they have been outside all day building different contraptions!  And they said they were haiving fun!!! 

Oh the horror!  They have been outside playing all day with no videogames!!!  SOmeone turn me in for child cruelty!!!

2014-06-17 3:14 PM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Elite

No one scolded me for posting a picture in TAN a few posts back.  I actually know better.  I shall claim senility in my own defense.

TW 

2014-06-18 9:52 AM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

PAGING DR SOCKS

ankle still not better.  make it better!

2014-06-18 10:12 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Elite

Dr. Geezer here.  RICE and time.  It works.  But you are hard core. The R part may be hard for you.

TW

2014-06-18 10:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by tech_geezer

Dr. Geezer here.  RICE and time.  It works.  But you are hard core. The R part may be hard for you.

TW

I'm not hardcore, but I get bored easily.  Can't R too much!  I have a life to live!  Does I/C/E really apply when I'm already 10 days in?  That stuff is usually recommended first 48 hours, which I did, but now??

Edited by mehaner 2014-06-18 10:14 AM

2014-06-18 11:35 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Compression MEH?

Is summer here for everyone else? On our way to 95 degrees today, wheeee!

2014-06-18 11:54 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by lisac957

Compression MEH?

Is summer here for everyone else? On our way to 95 degrees today, wheeee!

our "feels like" is around 100 for this whole week.  blech.

2014-06-18 11:59 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by mehaner

TW

I'm not hardcore, but I get bored easily.  Can't R too much!  I have a life to live!  Does I/C/E really apply when I'm already 10 days in?  That stuff is usually recommended first 48 hours, which I did, but now??

Yes you can still continue to ice and elevate. Compression helps too. Unfortunately mother nature heals most things in 6 week increments.  Get yourself a lace up ankle brace at the sporting goods store.  Another alternative would be an active ankle.  They make a nice brace too but you would probably have to order it online.  If you can get an RX for PT that would also help

2014-06-18 1:46 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Sensei
Sin City

rub some dirt on it... 

2014-06-18 1:50 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by Kido

rub some dirt on it... 

It is Wednesday...

2014-06-18 1:52 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Anyone got a combo motivation and weightloss pill?  BESIDES coke or meth...  I just had dental cleanings and my nose bleeds too easily in the dry climate for those options.

Getting back on the market would be good motivation, but for some reason the wife objected to that idea...

2014-06-18 2:39 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

countdown is T minus 2 days...

and I hate the use of the word "vacay"

2014-06-18 2:42 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Anyone got a combo motivation and weightloss pill?  BESIDES coke or meth...  I just had dental cleanings and my nose bleeds too easily in the dry climate for those options.

Getting back on the market would be good motivation, but for some reason the wife objected to that idea...

Schedule a beach vacay? (use of vacay is specifically for jford)
I have one in 4 weeks and it is motivating me big-time.

2014-06-18 2:48 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

time to kick jford in the ding ding!

2014-06-18 2:51 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Wow, you ladies really love the owrd "Vacay" huh? Well, I still oppose that word, sounds like something Goggs would say

Edited by jford2309 2014-06-18 2:51 PM

2014-06-18 3:10 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

i actually don't like the word vacay, i just appreciate lisa's dig on you

Wow, you ladies really love the owrd "Vacay" huh? Well, I still oppose that word, sounds like something Goggs would say

2014-06-18 3:41 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Guys I'm on a conference call and people keep saying "VENUS" reporting and it sounds like something totally different ifyouknowwhatimean.

2014-06-18 3:58 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Guys I'm on a conference call and people keep saying "VENUS" reporting and it sounds like something totally different ifyouknowwhatimean.

It's another 5 letter word rhyming with meanest or leanest...

Edited by jford2309 2014-06-18 4:16 PM
2014-06-18 8:36 PM

User image

Elite

We are going to Daytona on Saturday.  This is JWKMH's family's annual event.  There will probably be 18-20 people attending.  The condos are in the southern part of the beach called Daytona Beach Shores.  It is mostly retirees on this end of the beach.  The main activity is sitting on the beach under an umbrella watching the kids play and rating the walkers walking by.  They give the annual Leatherback Award.  The recipient is not informed of his or her victory.   I spend a lot of time in the room working math problems.  I have some bicycle wheel stuff to work on this trip.  The Geezers will be well-represented.  We have JWMKH and me, two Geezerettes, one Grand Geezerette, and one future Geezerette husband.  I get to be fully in charge of corrupting the Grand Geezerette while Geezertte #1 is off on some coincidental business trips while she is in this country.  I will also be in charge of making sure she sees whenever Brazil or USA plays in the World Cup.  It will be a blast.

2014-06-18 9:01 PM

User image

Elite

TW

You are the same person who ran 5K on that sprain are you not? I stand by hard core.  When you stand on it awhile, it will swell again.  Ice it every time it swells.  That would be like every lunchtime and evening.  If you sit much at work, take a footstool to work. A second degree sprain takes me 6-8 weeks.  Third degree sprain ought to be in a cast and crutches for a while, then total 8-9 weeks recovery.  I suspect you are in the first or second degree category since you were able to run on it.  Don't rush the recovery.  

2014-06-19 9:35 AM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

We are going to Daytona on Saturday.  This is JWKMH's family's annual event.  There will probably be 18-20 people attending.  The condos are in the southern part of the beach called Daytona Beach Shores.  It is mostly retirees on this end of the beach.  The main activity is sitting on the beach under an umbrella watching the kids play and rating the walkers walking by.  They give the annual Leatherback Award.  The recipient is not informed of his or her victory.   I spend a lot of time in the room working math problems.  I have some bicycle wheel stuff to work on this trip.  The Geezers will be well-represented.  We have JWMKH and me, two Geezerettes, one Grand Geezerette, and one future Geezerette husband.  I get to be fully in charge of corrupting the Grand Geezerette while Geezertte #1 is off on some coincidental business trips while she is in this country.  I will also be in charge of making sure she sees whenever Brazil or USA plays in the World Cup.  It will be a blast.

We won't be far from you on Sunday! We are heading to new Symrna Beach for 2 weeks, which is just south of Daytona!

2014-06-19 1:19 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Ok, same old complaint I probably talked about a dozen times.

The wife excitedly told me she has another ticket to her play for tomorrow night.  I know it's important to support her and it's important to her to have people there and watching but the play sucks, I already saw it once, it's two hours long, and I will be miserable the entire time. 

It's so frustrating I could cry.  I can't tell her it's bad or the play bores the crap out of me or that watching world cup matches are more fun than seeing her in a small role in a bad play...  I guess I just man up and go and deal with it.  Sometimes it's hard to be the "good husband" and also do what I want to do.  Crazy thing is, when anyone in the cast hears that I have gone more than once?  They are shocked and say their spouse would NEVER go more than once.  Yet for some reason the wife doesn't let that register and I need to go to every performance feasible.  If I say I wanted to stay home and watch TV?  Her response?  "Watch TV instead of supporting your wife in a live play?"  How do you respond?  BUT, she hardly comes to any of my races because I realize it will bore her and don't want to subject her to it so I don't insist.  Guess I can't blame her.  I don't insist, and she does.  She is just asking for what she wants.  I guess I could do the same.

Honestly, I'm thinking about going into the back row and maybe trying to read a book on my phone or Ipad or something.  I thought about hanging out in the lobby, but it's such a small theater, she will probably know I wasn't in the audience.  AND, doing that and getting caught would probably be more rude than not going.

I KNOW I could just sit down and tell her what I'm feeling and she will say I don't have to go.  But it's a very dejected and disappointed and sad "I guess you don't have to go".  Not an ambivalent "no big deal, you don't have to go".

After a dozen years together, still trying to figure this thing out...

Edited by Kido 2014-06-19 1:19 PM
2014-06-19 1:22 PM

User image

Elite

We won't be far from you on Sunday! We are heading to new Symrna Beach for 2 weeks, which is just south of Daytona!

Hey cool.  We go to The Garlic in New Smyna Beach just about every trip.  Look for a skinny dude with white hair in a huge entourage.  I will have multiple cute women's around me (wife, daughters, nieces, and sisters-in-law).

I will also have a bike with me and will be riding A1A north and south of the condo just about every morning. The bike is a Litespeed Tuscany.

TW

Edited by tech_geezer 2014-06-19 1:24 PM
2014-06-19 1:40 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Ok, same old complaint I probably talked about a dozen times.

The wife excitedly told me she has another ticket to her play for tomorrow night.  I know it's important to support her and it's important to her to have people there and watching but the play sucks, I already saw it once, it's two hours long, and I will be miserable the entire time. 

It's so frustrating I could cry.  I can't tell her it's bad or the play bores the crap out of me or that watching world cup matches are more fun than seeing her in a small role in a bad play...  I guess I just man up and go and deal with it.  Sometimes it's hard to be the "good husband" and also do what I want to do.  Crazy thing is, when anyone in the cast hears that I have gone more than once?  They are shocked and say their spouse would NEVER go more than once.  Yet for some reason the wife doesn't let that register and I need to go to every performance feasible.  If I say I wanted to stay home and watch TV?  Her response?  "Watch TV instead of supporting your wife in a live play?"  How do you respond?  BUT, she hardly comes to any of my races because I realize it will bore her and don't want to subject her to it so I don't insist.  Guess I can't blame her.  I don't insist, and she does.  She is just asking for what she wants.  I guess I could do the same.

Honestly, I'm thinking about going into the back row and maybe trying to read a book on my phone or Ipad or something.  I thought about hanging out in the lobby, but it's such a small theater, she will probably know I wasn't in the audience.  AND, doing that and getting caught would probably be more rude than not going.

I KNOW I could just sit down and tell her what I'm feeling and she will say I don't have to go.  But it's a very dejected and disappointed and sad "I guess you don't have to go".  Not an ambivalent "no big deal, you don't have to go".

After a dozen years together, still trying to figure this thing out...

when was the last time you said "sorry i can't go/don't want to go tonight?"  what was her reaction?  would she really react the way you describe above or if you were up front with her would she let you go?  

how do you feel about little-white-lying?  claim a headache?  

for the rest of the people seeing the play, if you do decide to go do NOT play on your phone the whole time.  super rude and distracting.  that little bit of light stands out big time in a dark theater.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1677 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2179 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1899 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2221 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3912 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.