BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-10-15 8:43 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by cdban66

Good day everyone, I hope things are going well as we approach the weekend.  I have a quick question for those that have ridden long distance before.  I have a century coming up in early November.  I feel that my legs and butt will be ready, the only concern I have is calorie intake.  I have been using Hammer Gels, which agree with me quite well.  So, my plan is probably one of those every 30-40 minutes or so and a bottle(ish) of water per hour.  Is there anything else I should be aware of? I figure by the time it is over, I'll be none too fond of gels, so any alternatives to try will be considered.  The ride is self supported, but I will pass my van every 10 miles or so.

I am no help on the PM or gaiter discussions, sorry.  My technology use when training is limited to a GPS watch.  And my running in sand is short distance, so I don't bother, although I can see the benefit.

As we move towards fall here in the states, I am inclined to figure out my winter/prep schedule.  I am probably looking at a HM in February, but outside of that I'm kind of open.  So after the century, I'll switch to a run focus with a mileage climb happening over the three months or so and the addition of some speed work. It worked last winter and I may set an aggressive goal, just to push myself a bit more than in past years.  So that's the framework of a plan for the next 4 months or so and should get me through my day of winter.  What is everyone else looking at for their winter?

Good morning to you! for long-distance nutrition I started out with gels and chews and eventually they actually hurt my teeth! Too sugary on my sensitive teeth. I also would get really hungry near the end so i tried Bonk Breaker bars and had good success with them. Nice and substantial and the pb and j ones were not too sweet or hard on my teeth. Maybe you want some like that or even actual pb and j sandwiches in the van ... 

2015-10-15 8:51 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by juniperjen

Good day everyone, I hope things are going well as we approach the weekend.  I have a quick question for those that have ridden long distance before.  I have a century coming up in early November.  I feel that my legs and butt will be ready, the only concern I have is calorie intake.  I have been using Hammer Gels, which agree with me quite well.  So, my plan is probably one of those every 30-40 minutes or so and a bottle(ish) of water per hour.  Is there anything else I should be aware of? I figure by the time it is over, I'll be none too fond of gels, so any alternatives to try will be considered.  The ride is self supported, but I will pass my van every 10 miles or so.

I am no help on the PM or gaiter discussions, sorry.  My technology use when training is limited to a GPS watch.  And my running in sand is short distance, so I don't bother, although I can see the benefit.

As we move towards fall here in the states, I am inclined to figure out my winter/prep schedule.  I am probably looking at a HM in February, but outside of that I'm kind of open.  So after the century, I'll switch to a run focus with a mileage climb happening over the three months or so and the addition of some speed work. It worked last winter and I may set an aggressive goal, just to push myself a bit more than in past years.  So that's the framework of a plan for the next 4 months or so and should get me through my day of winter.  What is everyone else looking at for their winter?

Good morning to you! for long-distance nutrition I started out with gels and chews and eventually they actually hurt my teeth! Too sugary on my sensitive teeth. I also would get really hungry near the end so i tried Bonk Breaker bars and had good success with them. Nice and substantial and the pb and j ones were not too sweet or hard on my teeth. Maybe you want some like that or even actual pb and j sandwiches in the van ... 

I agree with the real food sentiment on a long ride. These are generally at a low intensity so I really wouldn't worry about it too much. Things get different/interesting when you start talking about running afterwards, but for just a long bike, eat whatever you like and don't worry too much about counting calories.
2015-10-15 8:52 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

On my own I've tended to use Cliff Bars, and sometimes Oatmeal Cream Pies. On a supported ride I'll carry with a few Cliff Bars for gap filling and in case the stops run out, but tend to try using what they have available. Typical for me is to grab a few cookies at each stop plus something salty, like the gorp or Cheez-Its. You mentioned expecting to pass your van about every 10 miles and this being self supported, so maybe figure out something in between. It's fine to stop for a couple minutes on these long rides. Also, when you keep the pace down the need take in more energy also goes down. You might still be adapting to going long though. I still feel funny on these when it's hot out. Sweat a lot and the body is working quite a bit to keep everything in balance.

Gotta love how Hands says to use real food, the first of which is cookies.

I forgot to mention that there will be at least two stops at the van to change bikes. I'm starting on the fixed gear, then the roadie, then the tri bike. And one of those stops will probably involve a change of clothes, due to sweat.  So grabbing food will be an extension of those as well.

Thanks eveyone, keep the ideas coming.

Well that's an interesting way to do it!

I've never felt the need to change due to sweat. Have others found it helpful? Usually with new stuff I want to be done once I put it on. I don't like having to refit everything when I'm still damp. I tend also wear my best stuff for the bigger things in the first place.

2015-10-15 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

So, it's very exciting in Toronto right now - the Blue Jays!!! It's been a very long time since the city was this excited! 

Anyway, i went to swim last night and there were not that many of us - mostly two to a lane due to the aforementioned jays. It was a good swim - lots of kick. A good swim but not a hard swim. My old coach was pretty tough and would really push on pacing and such and making sure you only took the appropriate rest - so far this new group is a little lackadaisical about it. So, it seems it will be up to me a bit to push myself which isn't a bad thing. Maybe I should even move up a lane to swim with people slightly faster than me ...

As for race plans: i don't have any. I am in a bit of a holding pattern. We have a couple of big things on the plan: a huge home reno - so big that we'll have to move out for likely at least 7-8 months and then we are planning on trying for baby #2 in the near future (I have some dental work where I want to take the drugs worry-free) - so my racing is on hold. At least any big plans. I really just don't want to sit on my bum and lose all this hard-fought fitness. and i really do find this stuff stress-relieving!  

2015-10-15 8:58 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

On my own I've tended to use Cliff Bars, and sometimes Oatmeal Cream Pies. On a supported ride I'll carry with a few Cliff Bars for gap filling and in case the stops run out, but tend to try using what they have available. Typical for me is to grab a few cookies at each stop plus something salty, like the gorp or Cheez-Its. You mentioned expecting to pass your van about every 10 miles and this being self supported, so maybe figure out something in between. It's fine to stop for a couple minutes on these long rides. Also, when you keep the pace down the need take in more energy also goes down. You might still be adapting to going long though. I still feel funny on these when it's hot out. Sweat a lot and the body is working quite a bit to keep everything in balance.

I forgot to mention that there will be at least two stops at the van to change bikes. I'm starting on the fixed gear, then the roadie, then the tri bike. And one of those stops will probably involve a change of clothes, due to sweat.  So grabbing food will be an extension of those as well.

I've never felt the need to change due to sweat. Have others found it helpful? Usually with new stuff I want to be done once I put it on. I don't like having to refit everything when I'm still damp. I tend also wear my best stuff for the bigger things in the first place.

I got home from the 37 miler earlier this week and my stuff was soaked. BAD. And as I was finishing up that ride it was becoming apparent that I would be uncomfortable after 30 more minutes of that. So, I am fooling with the idea of drying up and a clothing change at the mid point. It will depend on weather to a certain degree, which is normal.  I have to figure that piece out as well. The van will be in a parking lot at the park with a bathroom and such.

2015-10-15 8:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
On the subject of coaching, I think I'm going to bite the bullet too. I was trying to decide between 1 on 1, vs 12 week block plan (1 on 1 is 3x as expensive). I've basically got two 12 week blocks prior to IMTX and I was planning on doing a run focused block over the winter. So I've decided to do the first 12 week block as a plan and then decide if I want to move to 1 on 1 for the 12 week right before IMTX.

I was telling him that I have a season ending 70.3 November 1st, and then would be ready to move into this block a week after that and he jumped my azz saying no you won't! You'll take at least a complete week off and then 2-3 more weeks of minimal exercise before starting!! I like this guy already, I'm not going to know what to do with myself though, lol.

Edited by Jet Black 2015-10-15 9:10 AM

2015-10-15 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

So, it's very exciting in Toronto right now - the Blue Jays!!! It's been a very long time since the city was this excited! 

Anyway, i went to swim last night and there were not that many of us - mostly two to a lane due to the aforementioned jays. It was a good swim - lots of kick. A good swim but not a hard swim. My old coach was pretty tough and would really push on pacing and such and making sure you only took the appropriate rest - so far this new group is a little lackadaisical about it. So, it seems it will be up to me a bit to push myself which isn't a bad thing. Maybe I should even move up a lane to swim with people slightly faster than me ...

As for race plans: i don't have any. I am in a bit of a holding pattern. We have a couple of big things on the plan: a huge home reno - so big that we'll have to move out for likely at least 7-8 months and then we are planning on trying for baby #2 in the near future (I have some dental work where I want to take the drugs worry-free) - so my racing is on hold. At least any big plans. I really just don't want to sit on my bum and lose all this hard-fought fitness. and i really do find this stuff stress-relieving!  

Agreed. Funny how trying to wear yourself out a bit physically helps the mental side so much.

Good luck on all of it, that is a list indeed.

ETA: I am a Rays fan, so I am still a David Price fan.  However, I would love to see their old manager Joe Maddon win it all, so if we both get through the next round, I'm sorry to say I'll be pulling for the Cubs.  No matter what happens, this is the best time of year to be a sports fan.

Edited by cdban66 2015-10-15 9:04 AM
2015-10-15 11:01 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

For racing long, I've always tried to keep my nutrition simple by just using gels.  I tolerate them well and I know exactly how many calories I'm bringing in.  I buy in bulk and use a 5 oz flask diluted with one oz of water.  That is good for 2 hours when I figure calories from drink.  I did feel like more solids though the last couple IM's and chomped on Shotblox.  They have a few flavors that are super yummy.  For a long ride tour, I would be more inclined to snack off some of the food on the course or support van as I wouldn't be pushing as hard.

For the Winter, I've already started trying to up my run mileage and have gotten back on the trainer after a short break.  I'll wait until the first of the year to get back in the pool for a Spring HIM build.  Until then, focus is on prep for marathon mid-November with a few shorter races over the next few months.

2015-10-15 11:06 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Ok, all caught up (again)

Chris, I'm no help on the bike. Longest i've done is a metric century and we all remember how that went

Speaking of long distance nutrition... I am leading (kinda) an aid station at mile 9 of a 52 mile ultra on saturday. The ultra will also hit this aid station 9 miles from the end, as will the marathon that begins at the turnaround point. It will be the halfway point for the 18 milers. That being said. The RD gave me $50 to get "fresh" food. She already gave me chips, drinks, pb & J. So I'm wondering what I should get. I thought about maybe some cucumbers with salt. Maybe some melon? It's supposed to be cool and rainy so I also wondered about warm chicken broth but I'm not sure about keeping it warm.  Thoughts?

Winter plan... I'm really undecided on this. I am loving the trail running but miss riding my bike too!

Monument Valley... Utah is a beautiful but moody mistress. In March you could get cold winter, hot summer or absolutely beautiful. That being said, I say do it! I love racing out there. I'm racing in Moab in a couple weeks!!! So excited!!!

Sports... my Rockies were never anywhere near post season play. My Avs are not off to a great start. And the Broncos, well the defense will only get us so far...

2015-10-15 11:10 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

Chris, I'm no help on the bike. Longest i've done is a metric century and we all remember how that went

Speaking of long distance nutrition... I am leading (kinda) an aid station at mile 9 of a 52 mile ultra on saturday. The ultra will also hit this aid station 9 miles from the end, as will the marathon that begins at the turnaround point. It will be the halfway point for the 18 milers. That being said. The RD gave me $50 to get "fresh" food. She already gave me chips, drinks, pb & J. So I'm wondering what I should get. I thought about maybe some cucumbers with salt. Maybe some melon? It's supposed to be cool and rainy so I also wondered about warm chicken broth but I'm not sure about keeping it warm.  Thoughts?

Winter plan... I'm really undecided on this. I am loving the trail running but miss riding my bike too!

Monument Valley... Utah is a beautiful but moody mistress. In March you could get cold winter, hot summer or absolutely beautiful. That being said, I say do it! I love racing out there. I'm racing in Moab in a couple weeks!!! So excited!!!

Sports... my Rockies were never anywhere near post season play. My Avs are not off to a great start. And the Broncos, well the defense will only get us so far...

Whining while undefeated is not very becoming on you  We've decided that the Bucs draft choice is so bad that we'd rather be Tennessee Titans fans. At 1-3, we aren't whining.

2015-10-15 11:21 AM

User image

Seattle

While I know you all may not look to me for bike advice, I did do a 210 miles ride a while back. Because of the lower intensity of biking and specifically long distance biking, I don't have any concerns just eating as I usually do. So, real food. A good breakfast, maybe a bar or something then a sandwich for lunch...really, nothing unusual. However, you may be more limited to what you can carry so, adjust accordingly.

Honestly, you aren't burning calories at an extremely high rate so, simply making sure to eat well leading up to and after and event is probably more important than during. Not to say you shouldn't eat like you would in a regular day as you will likely be on the bike for a long period of time.

2015-10-15 11:25 AM

User image

Seattle

OMG cucumbers with salt...that sounds freekin' amazing!!!!!!! I'm racking my brain for other fresh food but can't stop thinking about the cukes!

When we were running the PCT I was craving fresh food like crazy, even on the first day. I don't know how those long distance FKTers suffer through the cold soaked mush...

Anyway, the broth sounds good. How many runners? You could get a couple thermoses, perhaps. 

2015-10-15 11:29 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

OMG cucumbers with salt...that sounds freekin' amazing!!!!!!! I'm racking my brain for other fresh food but can't stop thinking about the cukes!

When we were running the PCT I was craving fresh food like crazy, even on the first day. I don't know how those long distance FKTers suffer through the cold soaked mush...

Anyway, the broth sounds good. How many runners? You could get a couple thermoses, perhaps. 

There are 150 runners total. We'll see 50 of them twice so a possibility of 200 people stopping by. I like the thermos idea.  Of course, not everyone will want some. Maybe just in the later hours for the ultra but I don't think it'll stay warm that long.

2015-10-15 11:32 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Whining while undefeated is not very becoming on you  We've decided that the Bucs draft choice is so bad that we'd rather be Tennessee Titans fans. At 1-3, we aren't whining.

You're right. I just get so frustrated with the Peyton love. I'm pretty sure McManus, our kicker, has scored more this year. Peyton has thrown more picks than TD passes!  Just put him out to pasture already!!!!

2015-10-15 11:33 AM

User image

Seattle

Oh, and I am back in Seattle and sorta-kinda around. 

My California adventure was AWESOME! I got to see and experience so much beauty, get some truly quality time in with my parents and a TON of important things done for work. Anyone following along on social media has probably seen these but, a few photos:

It kind of ended up being tour de hotspring. One of my very favorite things in the world. Anyway, we didn't get to summit Mt. Whitney. A huge snow and lightning storm came in the night before dumping about 18". Due to the mild nature of the climb, we could have summited with mountaineering gear but I really want to save this one for a run summit, so, we did a different hike instead. So, Whitney goes on the back burner. Maybe next year. 

2015-10-15 11:33 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Non-sweet real food might also be little roll-ups, as I call them: a slice of lunch meat of your choice with a piece of cheese rolled up.  Easy to eat, easy to carry.  Throw a pickle slice or spear in the middle if you like (I like).  Put part of a flour tortilla around it if you want a little bit of carbs, or make a full-sized one but have it cut down into more manageable pieces.   I heard, but not done it, that small boiled potatoes with salt can be a nice item.

Cookies.  Of course you need cookies.

2015-10-15 11:34 AM

User image

Seattle

There are 150 runners total. We'll see 50 of them twice so a possibility of 200 people stopping by. I like the thermos idea.  Of course, not everyone will want some. Maybe just in the later hours for the ultra but I don't think it'll stay warm that long.

Depends on the quality of the thermos. Maybe do a trial run today. Put some boiling water in and see how long it stays hot.

I've got a hydroflask that keeps stuff HOT for an absurd amount of time.

2015-10-15 11:47 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Winter plan:  

Short term: attempt to get my butt running a bit more to do OK at the 10 Across the Bay coming up in a few weeks.  Motivation is still sporadic but mostly low.

Long term: ice hockey, stepping back a little from regemented tri training (ya know, kind of like I've been inadvertently doing the past month+).  After a little regrouping, hopefully restarting a more structured plan with my coach, possibly with my goal race being a 70.3 do-over at Timberman.  Naturally, doing some running races here and there over the winter/spring before prepping for tri season.  Re-lose the 7 lbs. (and hopefully a few more) that have crept back on since July.  

In general, get my life back in order.  The past year has been a crazy one.

2015-10-15 12:30 PM

Master
Northern IL

While I know you all may not look to me for bike advice, I did do a 210 miles ride a while back. Because of the lower intensity of biking and specifically long distance biking, I don't have any concerns just eating as I usually do. So, real food. A good breakfast, maybe a bar or something then a sandwich for lunch...really, nothing unusual. However, you may be more limited to what you can carry so, adjust accordingly.

Honestly, you aren't burning calories at an extremely high rate so, simply making sure to eat well leading up to and after and event is probably more important than during. Not to say you shouldn't eat like you would in a regular day as you will likely be on the bike for a long period of time.

And more specifically it's with the intensity being lower you'll be burning off energy stores everyone has has lots of. As the intensity goes up this will come more from faster burning, but lesser in quantity ones. I make the distinction as lower intensity rides for me can still be in the low 200's for power, which is burning at ~750-800 Cal/hr. That's going to be up at an anaerobic effort for a fair number here. Do note that I'm also bigger than a fair number and *need* to put out more power to go the same speed.

We all know the more active can, should, and do eat more, but it is fun to make it a little more tangible as to why. A recent century I did came out to just over 4,500 Cal for 918 Cal/hr (pressing the effort a little more than normal). Think about how much food it takes to make that much. Multiple frozen pizzas (for some type of reference). I think Chris is similar enough in size, so may approach this total. The rate is likely to be less, but being out longer will bring back up.

2015-10-15 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Food suggestions: PB&J, fig newtons, a Payday bar for your final lap.  1 gel every 45 minutes will equal how many calories what, 125 calories per hour?  That sounds quite low.  You may want to up that some.

I'm on run focus from now until about May.  I have the Tuna Run coming up next week, then some recovery time before I start building back up again in mid December.  Oh, there will be a turkey trot in there too.  And a puppy.

Edited by jmkizer 2015-10-15 1:05 PM
2015-10-15 1:07 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

On any of the centuries that I've done I've always enjoyed some of the real food at the support stops including cookies and oranges. So, if you can have real food in your van you may appreciate the ability to eat something other than gels.  When I ride long unsupported I sometimes use uncrustables or fig newtons.

And bananas! 

As far as my plan for our 1 day of winter, I will be run focused too.  Of course, I've been run focused for over a year now, so that's probably not much of a plan!! I do have a bunch of races between now and the end of the year and, though I haven't finalized anything yet, I know I will have a bunch of runs after the new year. Hoping to get back to the mountains to run a HM or relay. There will also be -hopefully - a week or two of hiking.

Are you going up for Harvest Moon 2.0 on the 31st?

2015-10-15 1:11 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Dunno about winter training--That is up to the coach I just hired! In previous years I've usually done some kind of run focus to get ready for the Angkor Wat Half Marathon, but I'm finally pulling the plug on that race this year. Every year I think I'm in shape to do a good race there and I don't, every year it all goes south after a lot of start line and first few mile chaos (people jumping into the race at random points, pushing and shoving at the start, etc.). I just struggle to get into a rhythm after that, and the novelty of running past a World Heritage Site has finally worn off after many crappy last few miles past said site. The biggest issue is that it comes two days before our report cards are do, so it's the worst timing possible. Plus after spending seven months getting ready for two HIM, kind of feel like a need a break from the half marathon. Just doing maintenance until starting with coaching in November. Would hope I will get some work in on addressing my weakness, aka the bike!

I'm excited to hear what the coach has in mind for you!  Have you selected your A races for next season?  I think that you mentioned Vietnam 70.3.  Is anything else on the horizon?

I know that several of the Manatees are coached.  Randee, Melanie, me.  I think that Adrienne consults with a run club coach (is that right, Salty?) and I know that Ann-Marie has a run club mentor (is that what I can call Susan?).  I hope that you have a great coaching experience this time around!

2015-10-15 1:15 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I've never changed during a long due to sweat.  I do know someone who sweats a lot (like you don't want to ride behind him a lot) and he always changes gloves mid ride.

2015-10-15 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Now that's a big reno!

2015-10-15 1:20 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black On the subject of coaching, I think I'm going to bite the bullet too. I was trying to decide between 1 on 1, vs 12 week block plan (1 on 1 is 3x as expensive). I've basically got two 12 week blocks prior to IMTX and I was planning on doing a run focused block over the winter. So I've decided to do the first 12 week block as a plan and then decide if I want to move to 1 on 1 for the 12 week right before IMTX. I was telling him that I have a season ending 70.3 November 1st, and then would be ready to move into this block a week after that and he jumped my azz saying no you won't! You'll take at least a complete week off and then 2-3 more weeks of minimal exercise before starting!! I like this guy already, I'm not going to know what to do with myself though, lol.

I think that you will really like it and that coaching will keep you on track for your first IM.  There is so much to do that it really helps to not worry about if you are doing the right workouts or whatever -- trust the plan.  It's an individualized 12 week block, correct?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 55613 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68424 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29165 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12303 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67922 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.