BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-01-04 1:55 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016

Originally posted by TXTriRook Man, you guys are a tough crowd. I would have thought Canadians (especially those living in TX) adds nothing but greatness to your group!

And you probably think that the Cowboys are "America's team" as well.  Ha!

2016-01-04 1:56 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by TXTriRook If there's room for another rookie count me in! NAME: Justin STORY: I'm a 33 year old male with a wife and 8-month old son. I currently live in Texas and am originally from Canada. In between I've spent 4 years in Boston and about 9 in NYC. I grew up playing just about every sport possible and was a college rugby player until I moved to NY and worked 20 hour days and put on about 30lbs. Since moving to TX about 3 years ago I decided trying a triathlon would be fun and ever since I've been hooked. Last year was my 1st full year of competing and I did 3 or 4 Olympic distance races and 1 1/2 Ironman. I was top 3 in my age group in all my races except for 1 Olympic where I tried a new strategy I read somewhere (probably BT ) and in the 70.3 where there were a TON of competitors in my age group. I love the sport because I can train on my own at odd hours and at age 33 still be competitive. FAMILY STATUS: Married with 1 son. CURRENT TRAINING: I took 2 swim lessons last year but otherwise I just train by myself. I'll also occasionally join a group ride but 95% of my training is solo. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I'd like to do at least 1 1/2 Ironman and ideally 4 (give or take) Olympic distance races this year GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I hope to meet some like minded people that share the same passion and drive as I do. I love pushing the limits of what I can do and seeing my race times drop and pushing my body to its limit has made me really passionate about triathlon. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Being completely self-trained, I've probably done 100 things wrong for every strategic thing I've done right. I always have a lot of questions and enjoy discussing the sport. To the extent I can ever provide guidance I'm always willing to chime in.

I think we've hit the limit on Texans

Well, technically we have hit the limit for Canadians in Texas.  Two is enough, right?

I thought about adding that element too. 

Canada seems to be running roughshod over us, eh? 

We really need more Florida manatees -especially since we are the home of the manatee!

2016-01-04 1:59 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

January 17      Rockingham Tri        sprint tri                      Perth, AUSTRALIA
January 26      Rotto Rehearsal       10K ocean swim        Perth, AUSTRALIA
January 31      Busselton                  Olympic tri                 Busselton, AUSTRALIA
March 5          Ironman New Zealand                                  Taupo, NEW ZEALAND
March 19        Port2Pub                    20K ocean swim       Perth, AUSTRALIA
April 3             Putrajaya 70.3                                               Putrajaya, MALAYSIA
April 23           Sungailiat Tri             sprint tri                       Bangka, INDONESIA
May 10            Vietnam 70.3                                                 Da Nang, VIETNAM
June 12            Ironman Cairns                                            Cairns, AUSTRALIA
July 5               Bali Ocean Swim       10K ocean swim       Bali, INDONESIA
August 28        Ironman Vichy                                               Vichy, FRANCE
November 12   Ironman Malaysia                                         Langkawi, MALAYSIA
December 4    Ironman Western Australia                           Busselton, AUSTRALIA

Yanti.... you are crazy....
(that was a compliment )
2016-01-04 2:07 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Cypress, Texas
Originally posted by Jet Black

Originally posted by johnthecat

Originally posted by jmkizer

This is what I have for the roster so far.  Please feel free to correct me!

Active Manatees:

Chris, Erin, Judi, Ben, Stacey, Lisa, Kirsten/Ox, Robin K, TJ, Darren, Mary G, Ann-Marie, Jen, Karen, Adam, Tom, Dicky (love the name superfunkyfresh!), Dave, Laura/Daffodil (last initial?), Mark, Jim, Markus, Connor, moi

Needs to post bio: Kevin (microdoc), Robin (ceilidh)

MIA: Yaniti, Melanie, Mary S, Monica, Laura, Tom A, Randee, Steve

Jeez, I guess I need to post more, so easily forgotten!

Bio in a sec, but wanted to say I have the 920 and use it to swim and find it is really good. No complaints, but I also don't really have anything to compare it to. I do have to say that my masters coach hates it, because she's apparently not very good at math and I always let her know when my yards don't match what she's got for the workout. (I know the watch is right because I hit the lap button for every interval)

Sean, where do you go for your Masters?

I can also second the 920. I barely got mine around Thanksgiving time and haven't gotten many swims in, but so far it's been accurate on the lap/distance count.

I swim at Memorial Athletic Club MWF mornings (5:30-7). There are TTH evening practices too, but I'm not sure what time.

Good to have you aboard!

I've looked into the MAC before. We actually get a discount there from work and it's right around the corner from work, but it's too early in the morning for me to make it there. If it were to start 30 minutes later...
2016-01-04 2:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by TXTriRook Man, you guys are a tough crowd. I would have thought Canadians (especially those living in TX) adds nothing but greatness to your group!

Pfffft. Canadians I have no quibble with. They have maple syrup, and Tim Hortons, and poutine!!!

I grew up in Colorado so Texans are an invasive species, much like Californicans and tamarisk 

Edited by rrrunner 2016-01-04 2:08 PM
2016-01-04 2:09 PM

User image

Thank you for the welcome!

Edited by RookeyDavid 2016-01-04 2:10 PM

2016-01-04 2:09 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Active Manatees:

Chris, Erin, Judi, Ben, Stacey, Lisa, Kirsten/Ox, Robin K, TJ, Darren, Mary G, Ann-Marie, Jen, Karen, Adam, Tom, Dicky (love the name superfunkyfresh!), Dave, Laura/Daffodil (last initial?), Mark, Jim, Markus, Connor, moi

Jeez, I guess I need to post more, so easily forgotten! Bio in a sec, but wanted to say I have the 920 and use it to swim and find it is really good. No complaints, but I also don't really have anything to compare it to. I do have to say that my masters coach hates it, because she's apparently not very good at math and I always let her know when my yards don't match what she's got for the workout. (I know the watch is right because I hit the lap button for every interval)
Sean, where do you go for your Masters? I can also second the 920. I barely got mine around Thanksgiving time and haven't gotten many swims in, but so far it's been accurate on the lap/distance count.
I swim at Memorial Athletic Club MWF mornings (5:30-7). There are TTH evening practices too, but I'm not sure what time. Good to have you aboard!
I've looked into the MAC before. We actually get a discount there from work and it's right around the corner from work, but it's too early in the morning for me to make it there. If it were to start 30 minutes later...

hahahaha!  You clearly need to work on your level of commitment.  I don't want to admit to how early I get up and I'm pretty sure Hands is on the same boat.

2016-01-04 2:11 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Active Manatees:

Jeez, I guess I need to post more, so easily forgotten! Bio in a sec, but wanted to say I have the 920 and use it to swim and find it is really good. No complaints, but I also don't really have anything to compare it to. I do have to say that my masters coach hates it, because she's apparently not very good at math and I always let her know when my yards don't match what she's got for the workout. (I know the watch is right because I hit the lap button for every interval)
Sean, where do you go for your Masters? I can also second the 920. I barely got mine around Thanksgiving time and haven't gotten many swims in, but so far it's been accurate on the lap/distance count.
I swim at Memorial Athletic Club MWF mornings (5:30-7). There are TTH evening practices too, but I'm not sure what time. Good to have you aboard!

hahahaha!  You clearly need to work on your level of commitment.  I don't want to admit to how early I get up and I'm pretty sure Hands is on the same boat.

Hands is driving that boat!!!!

2016-01-04 2:13 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by TXTriRook If there's room for another rookie count me in! NAME: Justin STORY: I'm a 33 year old male with a wife and 8-month old son. I currently live in Texas and am originally from Canada. In between I've spent 4 years in Boston and about 9 in NYC. I grew up playing just about every sport possible and was a college rugby player until I moved to NY and worked 20 hour days and put on about 30lbs. Since moving to TX about 3 years ago I decided trying a triathlon would be fun and ever since I've been hooked. Last year was my 1st full year of competing and I did 3 or 4 Olympic distance races and 1 1/2 Ironman. I was top 3 in my age group in all my races except for 1 Olympic where I tried a new strategy I read somewhere (probably BT ) and in the 70.3 where there were a TON of competitors in my age group. I love the sport because I can train on my own at odd hours and at age 33 still be competitive. FAMILY STATUS: Married with 1 son. CURRENT TRAINING: I took 2 swim lessons last year but otherwise I just train by myself. I'll also occasionally join a group ride but 95% of my training is solo. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I'd like to do at least 1 1/2 Ironman and ideally 4 (give or take) Olympic distance races this year GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I hope to meet some like minded people that share the same passion and drive as I do. I love pushing the limits of what I can do and seeing my race times drop and pushing my body to its limit has made me really passionate about triathlon. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Being completely self-trained, I've probably done 100 things wrong for every strategic thing I've done right. I always have a lot of questions and enjoy discussing the sport. To the extent I can ever provide guidance I'm always willing to chime in.

Well, technically we have hit the limit for Canadians in Texas.  Two is enough, right?

We really need more Florida manatees -especially since we are the home of the manatee!

If NM doesn't quit winter-ing I just might join you down there.

2016-01-04 2:14 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Cypress, Texas

Oh, yes, Canadians are the best.  But you should stay in Canada, like me.  Texas is full of Texans.  And other 'Mericans.  

Or you got Germans like me living in Texas. So not only Texans and 'Mericans.
2016-01-04 2:15 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Active Manatees:

I try never to tell anyone how early I'm up and running! It's embarrassing!!

2016-01-04 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Oh, yes, Canadians are the best.  But you should stay in Canada, like me.  Texas is full of Texans.  And other 'Mericans.  

Or you got Germans like me living in Texas. So not only Texans and 'Mericans.

Aaand you're an IT guy. We have several of those too!

2016-01-04 2:18 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

We are not even having our normal wintering, so you'd be happy and hot here.  Of course, you're not used to humidity, so maybe not so happy!

User image

Pfffft. Canadians I have no quibble with. They have maple syrup, and Tim Hortons, and poutine!!!

I grew up in Colorado so Texans are an invasive species, much like Californicans and tamarisk 

We've got a lot more than just maple syrup, Tim Hortons and poutine but I don't have the energy to put the "Why Canada is the Greatest Country on Earth" list together today.

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

INFO FOR NEW MANATEES

If you haven't figured it out, we talk a lot. :-)  Fasten your seatbelts!  Also, we tend to be an inspiring bunch (as in, we use the "inspire" feature of the site a lot).  If you are not familiar with inspires, note that you can reply to them by clicking Reply.  This pops out a new window for you to type your response so that the original poster can see it.  Finally, most of us use the training log on the site -- it's required unless you have a note from your coach.  This makes it a lot easier for us to help each other when training questions come up.  

If you list your upcoming races on your training log  -- by adding to My Races or listing them in Dashboard, we'll celebrate with you!

We have a Bike Gallery and Pet Gallery.  Post a picture of your racing steed and draw Chris' attention to it.  He'll get you added.

We have a Strava group (https://www.strava.com/clubs/manatees).  Let Chris or Janyne know and we can add you.  (PRO TIP:  If you decide to join the Strava group, check out https://tapiriik.com/or http://www.syncmetrics.com/. They will sync from Garmin Connect to Strava in the background.)

We also have a TrainerRoad group that Darren manages for us: https://www.trainerroad.com/login?ReturnUrl=%2fteams%2f2477-manatees... />
Oh, we're on Twitter too...  (post or PM your twitter name to Janyne to be added to the twitter list)

In the past, someone in the Pod (Yanti, Chris, Janyne) has created a table listing all of the pod members with links to their logs.  Once this handy dandy table has been created, feel free to copy/paste it to your own dashboard.

Please be active!  Inactive Manatees make us sad!

How did my name get attached to these things? 

BTW, Janyne mentioned the fact that "Inspires" work a bit differently than the forum threads.  Also, if you have questions about other functions of BT like Friends lists, Private Messages, Race Lists, Gear lists, how to add a profile pic from an iPad, etc please don't hesitate to ask. there are some folks in here that have this stuff nailed!

2016-01-04 2:19 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Now that Canada geese have taken over all of the ponds in my area, Canada appears to be intent on sharing their air with us.  It's gonna be quite cold for my morning run tomorrow (low 20s (-6C), cold by NC standards. What are you favorite cold weather running tights?

My fave are my CW-X (I even received a new pair for Christmas). They are supportive for my ITBS and warm. win-win!

I have a pair of CW-X insulators that I like pretty well.  I thought I'd ask around before obtaining a second pair.  Two pair of heavier weight tights/pants plus laundry should be ok.  So far we have a vote for CW-X tights and one for Brooks pants.

I abstain from voting

Seems I did, but it was discounted.

There are a number of things that should work well though.

I did not discount your vote, Ben! I have a pair of Saucony run pants but they don't seem like they will be heavy enough with the wind that is in the forecast.  I could layer a lighter tight underneath them but that seems like A LOT of clothing.  Am I wrong?

It probably would be a lot. There might be some variation in the pant types too, though mine don't seem that heavy. I'll use them down to maybe 5-10 or so. Then underneath may have some shorts or something like tri shorts plus long smartwool socks. Like ski or snowboard type. I run better when there isn't something hold on the knees so tend to beef up the shorts some more first and then go to the tights when it's really down low. Got a feeling I might handle the cold better though.

2016-01-04 2:20 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Active Manatees:

Yeah I'm only going on a little over 5 hours of sleep most nights already. Trying to get there at 5 would knock that down to 4 hrs 15 I'm committed, but not crazy and wouldn't want to risk a relapse on my condition either
2016-01-04 2:20 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

We Canucks are taking over!!  Justin - where in Texas are you?  

I'm such a weather wimp that I've actually suggested to Tony that if we move ANYWHERE from Austin, it'll have to be FL, because I can't handle winter anymore!  Not that I ever could, but now - definite NO to winter.  NO!  

2016-01-04 2:22 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Active Manatees:

I try never to tell anyone how early I'm up and running! It's embarrassing!!

I know! I actually don't even tell Kevin.  He'll ask and I just say o'dark thirty ;-)

2016-01-04 2:23 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Does el nino make you have a crappier winter?  Ours are wetter and warmer (super warm and then extra cold and then super warm) than "normal." 

2016-01-04 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I'm such a weather wimp that I've actually suggested to Tony that if we move ANYWHERE from Austin, it'll have to be FL, because I can't handle winter anymore!  Not that I ever could, but now - definite NO to winter.  NO!  

Check Janyne's map first .  She was busting on me this weekend on FB for the demographics of my fine state. Evidently I live between Old People, really old people, inexplicable traffic (duh, old people) and Foreclosures. Come to think of it...

Edited by cdban66 2016-01-04 2:24 PM

in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I'm in Dallas. Where are the other Texans in this thread from? My first 70.3 was in Austin back in November. Some of the hills down there were killers!
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by TXTriRook

We've got a lot more than just maple syrup, Tim Hortons and poutine but I don't have the energy to put the "Why Canada is the Greatest Country on Earth" list together today.

But if it's so great, why are you in Texas?

2016-01-04 2:25 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Now that Canada geese have taken over all of the ponds in my area, Canada appears to be intent on sharing their air with us.  It's gonna be quite cold for my morning run tomorrow (low 20s (-6C), cold by NC standards. What are you favorite cold weather running tights?

My fave are my CW-X (I even received a new pair for Christmas). They are supportive for my ITBS and warm. win-win!

I have a pair of CW-X insulators that I like pretty well.  I thought I'd ask around before obtaining a second pair.  Two pair of heavier weight tights/pants plus laundry should be ok.  So far we have a vote for CW-X tights and one for Brooks pants.

I abstain from voting

Seems I did, but it was discounted.

There are a number of things that should work well though.

I did not discount your vote, Ben! I have a pair of Saucony run pants but they don't seem like they will be heavy enough with the wind that is in the forecast.  I could layer a lighter tight underneath them but that seems like A LOT of clothing.  Am I wrong?

It probably would be a lot. There might be some variation in the pant types too, though mine don't seem that heavy. I'll use them down to maybe 5-10 or so. Then underneath may have some shorts or something like tri shorts plus long smartwool socks. Like ski or snowboard type. I run better when there isn't something hold on the knees so tend to beef up the shorts some more first and then go to the tights when it's really down low. Got a feeling I might handle the cold better though.

Keep in mind that it was 70 here last week.  I have had no time to acclimate at all!

2016-01-04 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Active Manatees:

Yeah I'm only going on a little over 5 hours of sleep most nights already. Trying to get there at 5 would knock that down to 4 hrs 15 I'm committed, but not crazy and wouldn't want to risk a relapse on my condition either

My secret is going to bed earlier.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 952 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.