BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-04-22 6:27 PM
in reply to: #4709668

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-04-23 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4549087

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED

Morning All!

Pretty good couple of days for me this week so far.  Had one of my faster runs yesterday, including the longest run to walk ratio yet.  This morning was pool time, which I have been missing a lot of lately as the weather has been getting nicer and I've been doing more things outside.  I had a short workout, but did mostly speed stuff, so I'm tuckered.  I've been adding in strength training outside of my s/b/r, which makes it so I sleep really, really well at night--bonus!

Wrapping up another semester here, so things are bound to get very busy right up until I leave for my research trip.  I still haven't figured out how I'm going to maintain fitness in Egypt.  Perhaps all of you have suggestions.  Here's the situation...I'll be in middle Egypt (~250mi south of Cairo).  There is NO chance of s/b...no pools anywhere (and I'm not setting one single skin cell in the Nile!) and no bike.  I could run, but that involves convincing one of our military guards to run with me, and they don't like to do so...not even for bribes, which generally works for most other things.  Running for fun/exercise is just very much outside of their world.  In the past I've taken DVDs with me (Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies was my very favorite year!!), but I'm not convinced now that those are going to be intense enough.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do with virtually no equipment in a relatively small space (6X9' bedroom).  I can't workout outside because literally the entire village will come out to see the show (seriously, the entire village).  The bonus is that the ceilings are really high.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  I really don't want to lose fitness while I'm away.  Oh!  I should also mention that the only time I can workout is before I start my field day (~8am), because after work is it too bloody hot (~120F most days).

Thanks!

g

2013-04-23 10:36 AM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED

Gretchen,

Your situation in Egypt does pose quite the conundrum  (Gee, I love sounding smart).  The video is a good idea.  Is there a fitness center at all in the compound?  Even using an elliptical would be a good alternative to running.  Get out for a good walk in the compound early as much as possible alternating with a run when you can within it?

Hard to not lose fitness when facing situations like that, but just do what you can as you can to maintain fitness is all I have.

2013-04-23 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4711342

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
drfoodlove - 2013-04-23 9:13 AM

Morning All!

Pretty good couple of days for me this week so far.  Had one of my faster runs yesterday, including the longest run to walk ratio yet.  This morning was pool time, which I have been missing a lot of lately as the weather has been getting nicer and I've been doing more things outside.  I had a short workout, but did mostly speed stuff, so I'm tuckered.  I've been adding in strength training outside of my s/b/r, which makes it so I sleep really, really well at night--bonus!

Wrapping up another semester here, so things are bound to get very busy right up until I leave for my research trip.  I still haven't figured out how I'm going to maintain fitness in Egypt.  Perhaps all of you have suggestions.  Here's the situation...I'll be in middle Egypt (~250mi south of Cairo).  There is NO chance of s/b...no pools anywhere (and I'm not setting one single skin cell in the Nile!) and no bike.  I could run, but that involves convincing one of our military guards to run with me, and they don't like to do so...not even for bribes, which generally works for most other things.  Running for fun/exercise is just very much outside of their world.  In the past I've taken DVDs with me (Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies was my very favorite year!!), but I'm not convinced now that those are going to be intense enough.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do with virtually no equipment in a relatively small space (6X9' bedroom).  I can't workout outside because literally the entire village will come out to see the show (seriously, the entire village).  The bonus is that the ceilings are really high.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  I really don't want to lose fitness while I'm away.  Oh!  I should also mention that the only time I can workout is before I start my field day (~8am), because after work is it too bloody hot (~120F most days).

Thanks!

g

Two ideas that wouldn't take up a lot of room in your suitcase or your dwelling.  How about a jump rope and a TRX?  you could do some HIITS work with the rope and some excellent strength work with the TRX unit. I have both and find them quite useful when I travel and am stuck doing no SBR.

2013-04-23 1:59 PM

Hi everyone,

I needed a few days to recover from my Ragnar Relay.  I was not sure if  living out of a van with 5 people  for more than 30 hours straight and running my total of 12 miles would be fun, but it was definitely an experience to remember and worth repeating. Basically we had 2 vans carrying 12 runners with each person running 3 separate legs totaling 12-21 miles. I was in van 2 so my worst fears were confirmed since my first leg would be my longest at nearly 6 miles during the hottest part of the day...got to a heat index of 105...hot and hilly...and I def took a beating. Second leg was at 230am in the dark of night, but was short at 2 miles and change and it was nice and cool. Third and last leg was 4 miles at about 130pm the following day...steep decline to start and flat the rest of the way. Mostly at race pace and def felt it the next day.

I didn't know any of my van members but what a great team we turned out to be. Well balanced with three strong young runners and the other 3 older folk including myself. We had great camaraderie and support throughout the race from checking up and handing out nutrition during one's legs, to taking turns driving and co-piloting and  to trying find an indoor bathroom at 2 in the morning. Now imagine 700 vans trying to the same thing =)

Long story short, we met up with the last runner with a quarter mile and ran to the finish line as a team. It was a pretty sweet feeling.  I was definitely sore by then and  only had 2 hours of sleep as the adrenalin kept me up...but I can now see how people keep coming back and get Ragnar addicted.  Highly recommended.

First pic: first major exchange (the next van of 6 runners takes over while the van who just ran gets a 3-5 hour break), Second pic: minor exchange, Third pic: major exchange at 130am and the party is just beginning, Fourth pic: my view after sleeping outside beachside, Fifth pic: post race meal of some kickass Mexican food =)

(IMG_3245(1).jpg)

(IMG_3270.jpg)

(IMG_0863.jpg)

(IMG_3250.jpg)

(IMG_0869.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_3245(1).jpg (9KB - 7 downloads)
IMG_3270.jpg (23KB - 10 downloads)
IMG_0863.jpg (13KB - 2 downloads)
IMG_3250.jpg (10KB - 10 downloads)
IMG_0869.jpg (24KB - 12 downloads)
2013-04-23 5:06 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Great pictures, Rich!  Looks like a great time was had.  Yeah, a few days recovery is a good call.  Running long in the heat of the day is killer.

2013-04-23 6:40 PM
in reply to: #4712396

2013-04-23 8:39 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

The bed won this morning's war but I had a good swim after work.  Yes, amazing what a good work out does to erase a bad work day.

Called my bike shop back.  The frame I want *may* be available sooner, he is checking with them.  I asked for a call back because it seems like there hasn't been very good follow up informing me of status.

2013-04-24 7:00 AM

Carbondale, Illinois
Rained out of my planned un this morning, so I took the opportunity to sample an aerobic video (Jillian Michaels). Eh...okay I guess, but I found myself staring out of the window wishing to be outside instead. Hoping I can get in a swim before I have to head to campus this afternoon. If I make it, it'll be a long set...no speed work.
2013-04-24 1:58 PM

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
First ride on the open road with tri bike. Hmmm. Gonna take some getting used to, and I don't just mean my neck/shoulders. Between the wind and her flakey driver, the bike was all over the road. I'm not sure I felt like I was in control of her for a good part of the ride (especially into the wind/heavy cross-wind) and I was way too scared to aero at that point.

I know you're going to say "Ride more," but any other tips?
2013-04-24 2:11 PM

Had a great ride yesterday and a good run this morning.

Kristen - it's really just something you need to get used to.  One tip you might find helpful is to look farther ahead while riding.  When we ride something that's new to us, such as the first time we ever rode a bike, to the first time we rode a road bike, then to a tri bike...the natural instinct is to look down towards the handlebars because we are not familiar with the new setup to just ride without looking at what our hands our doing.  I bet that when you're shifting with the bar ends, your eyes are looking at the shifters when really you shouldn't need to look at all.  It's just natural instinct to do so though.  When you look down though...it tends to make us ride a little twitchy.  Your eyes and focus is on something so close to you that it makes it hard to ride in a straight line.  Look further up the road, and concentrate on something 50-75 feet in front of you and it becomes easier to ride in a straight line towards that object.

This is also a helpful tool when drafting in a paceline.  You really shouldn't be looking down at the wheel in front of you.  You really should be looking up and ahead of the rider in front of you.  This helps you hold your line a lot better, and you use your peripheral vision to actually avoid getting too close to the wheel in front of you.  It takes practice to get used to relying on your peripheral vision becase at first you just may not trust it. 

Edited by tri808 2013-04-24 2:12 PM

2013-04-24 4:32 PM
in reply to: #4713683

2013-04-24 7:26 PM

Elite
washington state
Had another really good run today.  It is encouraging to see the gains in my pace.  I am almost getting to be a runner!  Wink
2013-04-24 7:52 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Short run this morning, my leg isn't liking my new minimalist shoes right now.  Letting them sit for a while and will retry after the tendon settles.

Had a good swim in Masters tonight.

2013-04-25 8:16 AM

2013-04-25 8:58 AM

Carbondale, Illinois

2200yds in the pool this morning--nice, long, slow(ish) swim.  It felt great!! 

Thanks for all the suggestions about working out in Egypt!  I talked to a colleague who is also going and we planned an attack.  She is bringing P90X 2 (I didn't even know there was a 2!) and I'm going to bring some other DVDs for the "off" days.  Sadly there is no gym there...there aren't even flush toilets!  Anyway, I'm happy to get the opportunity to try P90X, I've heard a lot about it and wondered how it was.  This way I get to try before I buy!  Off in just under three weeks, so I'm making the most of the time I have left here with s/b/r.

Hope everyone has a great day.

2013-04-25 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4714509

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
drfoodlove - 2013-04-25 9:58 AM

2200yds in the pool this morning--nice, long, slow(ish) swim.  It felt great!! 

Thanks for all the suggestions about working out in Egypt!  I talked to a colleague who is also going and we planned an attack.  She is bringing P90X 2 (I didn't even know there was a 2!) and I'm going to bring some other DVDs for the "off" days.  Sadly there is no gym there...there aren't even flush toilets!  Anyway, I'm happy to get the opportunity to try P90X, I've heard a lot about it and wondered how it was.  This way I get to try before I buy!  Off in just under three weeks, so I'm making the most of the time I have left here with s/b/r.

Hope everyone has a great day.

P90X is VERY intense.  Good luck !!
2013-04-25 4:04 PM

Pool heater was broken this morning so had an extra crisp swim..better cooler then warmer.

So after getting my fit done about 2 months ago and taking some time to go over a few options, I pulled the trigger yesterday and came home with my first tri bike, last year's P3.  Last week's release of the new P3 added a wrinkle but got a very good deal on the old P3. I plan to use this bike for many many years to come so happy with the decision. I used a new location of an established LBS near my home and quite pleased with my experience with them...plus the usual extra perks and free membership to their new tri club.

Some recent threads here will def help as I will be putting in some aero time. First real ride will be Saturday..skipping the usual hills and going to spend some time with some flat loops breaking her in.  Next tri is in 3 weeks so hoping I can use her then but will see how I feel then. I can't wait til Saturday !

(IMG_0874.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0874.jpg (61KB - 15 downloads)
2013-04-25 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4715284

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Tri2Smile - 2013-04-25 5:04 PM

Pool heater was broken this morning so had an extra crisp swim..better cooler then warmer.

So after getting my fit done about 2 months ago and taking some time to go over a few options, I pulled the trigger yesterday and came home with my first tri bike, last year's P3.  Last week's release of the new P3 added a wrinkle but got a very good deal on the old P3. I plan to use this bike for many many years to come so happy with the decision. I used a new location of an established LBS near my home and quite pleased with my experience with them...plus the usual extra perks and free membership to their new tri club.

Some recent threads here will def help as I will be putting in some aero time. First real ride will be Saturday..skipping the usual hills and going to spend some time with some flat loops breaking her in.  Next tri is in 3 weeks so hoping I can use her then but will see how I feel then. I can't wait til Saturday !

NICE bike!!  Super jealous.  I have to call the LBS back cause he didn't call me (maybe Blue hasn't answered his e mail?  Sounds like I am getting lousy customer service from BOTH the LBS and Blue.
2013-04-25 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4715298

Master
Orlando
QueenZipp - 2013-04-25 4:12 PM

NICE bike!!  Super jealous.  I have to call the LBS back cause he didn't call me (maybe Blue hasn't answered his e mail?  Sounds like I am getting lousy customer service from BOTH the LBS and Blue.
Sorry you are having this experience. If I were you I'd be very tempted to get the company's CEO's email from the Slowtwitch thread I mentioned before and email him about your issues. The worse that could happen is he'd say he couldn't do anything.
2013-04-25 4:32 PM
in reply to: #4715284

Master
Orlando
Tri2Smile - 2013-04-25 4:04 PM

Welcome to the Cervelo club ! They are great bikes, you will enjoy riding.

2013-04-25 6:40 PM
in reply to: #4715317

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
amd723 - 2013-04-25 5:31 PM
QueenZipp - 2013-04-25 4:12 PM

Sorry you are having this experience. If I were you I'd be very tempted to get the company's CEO's email from the Slowtwitch thread I mentioned before and email him about your issues. The worse that could happen is he'd say he couldn't do anything.

Starting with the LBS, they are NOT communicating well.  THEN I will hit Blue up if I need to.  Seriously, the frame is probably $3000 and the LBS will make money off the sale / fitting.  But if they're going to treat me this way I won't use them for any future servicing.  There is another shop that handles tri bikes in the area--the one Kristin went to for a fitting.

2013-04-25 6:59 PM
in reply to: #4715452

Champion
QueenZipp - 2013-04-25 7:40 PM
But if they're going to treat me this way I won't use them for any future servicing.  There is another shop that handles tri bikes in the area--the one Kristin went to for a fitting.

Did I mention I love Andrew at 3Sports? Just sayin.
2013-04-25 7:21 PM
in reply to: #4715471

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

enders_shadow - 2013-04-25 7:59 PM
QueenZipp - 2013-04-25 7:40 PM But if they're going to treat me this way I won't use them for any future servicing.  There is another shop that handles tri bikes in the area--the one Kristin went to for a fitting.
Did I mention I love Andrew at 3Sports? Just sayin.

Miss Thing asked me why I didn't pick up my bike and take it elsewhere--only reason is I don't want to start the process all over with a different shop.  So I'll finish this deal with Carytown and take it to 3Sports for anything else.

2013-04-26 7:19 AM

Champion
Race weekend! First sprint tri of the season...and hubby's first tri ever!

I wasn't planning on it, but the more I think about it, the more I think I might take the tri-bike to the race. The weather is supposed to be good, it's only 12 miles, and there's only one real hill...might as well see what I can do, right?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64