BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty Beyond Ridiculous Manatees PART 6--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 91

2012-12-04 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4521285

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty Beyond Ridiculous Manatees PART 6--CLOSED
Asalzwed - 2012-12-05 1:57 AM
TriAya - 2012-12-04 11:54 AM
Asalzwed - 2012-12-05 1:24 AM

So, ever since my HM in October my left hip has been a little off. Not overly painful or anything just ... off. My thought is that it's my IT band because it is sore right around the outside of my hip and a little tight down on the outside of my knee. Although my symptoms don't seem to be classic ITBS so I am not sure. Like I said, it's not so much pain just a tightness or a dull ache sometimes after a really long run.

I am about to go into some really intense marathon training and I would like to do whatever I need to take care of it now as I know any little tiny thing can really be magnified. 

I don't really know where to start and I want to be as efficient as possible. Thoughts?

Pain in the azz at all?

Other than me?

I'd add 2x/day ITB-specific stretches and rolling. If that's what it is, a difference should be noticeable within a few days, even after tougher runs.

Other than you? Yes. Well, like right above the cheek.

Ah phew, so you think I can get away with just the rolling and stretching? That's be really, really great news. 

Sounds pretty hallmark then.

Yes, rolling and stretching, but, like 10min/2x/day. Amp it up, strengthen it up, limber it up, myofascial release it up.

It won't hurt; it's likely to help.

It may be treatment as well as diagnostic (if it helps, it was probably ITBS and you are treating it).

It may kick the placebo effect into ... effect. Placebo effects are real, y'all. (Only their source is fake). They help and heal shyte.

2012-12-04 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4520928

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
TriAya - 2012-12-04 10:39 AM

HI MANATEES!

I am accepting applications to be my virtual partner on a segment of the bike or run course.

This means one or both of two things:

1. You are responsible for supporting me alongside in spirit (can be done ahead of time. Spirit isn't limited by time) as I am racing that segment.

2. I will be thinking of you and praying for you during that time, and likely chatting with you and God at the same time in my mind. My other voices may join in too. It's always a party in there.

Bike is divided into 10km slots (18) and run into 5km slots (8). Feel free to state a preference or let me slot you in as needed

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I'm in for wherever you need me on the run. Maybe at the start, off the bike, or the 20 mile wall. I can help you Phoenix your way through. I promise I will rise you up and carry you on huge red wings, although the bird's body may resemble a flying manatee.
2012-12-04 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4521313

User image

Seattle
[

Edited by Asalzwed 2012-12-04 2:08 PM
2012-12-04 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4521263

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-12-04 11:48 AM
Asalzwed - 2012-12-05 1:25 AM
TriAya - 2012-12-04 9:39 AM

HI MANATEES!

I am accepting applications to be my virtual partner on a segment of the bike or run course.

1. You are responsible for supporting me alongside in spirit (can be done ahead of time. Spirit isn't limited by time) as I am racing that segment.

2. I will be thinking of you and praying for you during that time, and likely chatting with you and God at the same time in my mind. My other voices may join in too. It's always a party in there.

Bike is divided into 10km slots (18) and run into 5km slots (8). Feel free to state a preference or let me slot you in as needed

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Oooooh! You know I want the ever-punishing last 5K in the marathon. I'll take the full 6.2 if I can, but that might just be too cruel! Innocent

I think at that point I will need all the help I can possibly get, riding crop included.

I didn't make the same offer in TAN but for some reason folks just rushed forward to volunteer anyway

On the one hand, rats, I just gave away two slots encompassing the last 7.2km

On Ann-Marie's 17th hand, I REALLY REALLY REALLY need you, Salty, to run me into the finish. Please come with me anyway because it's not just that I need all the help I can get (cattle prod included--Manatee prod?), it's that I need YOU. I also know what you will do to me if I don't make it to 35km and you won't get to run me in, because I have a feeling that'll be worse than just trying to make it to 35km and finish on time.

Hahaha Ann-Marie's 17th hand. You're too good.

Well, feel free to place me wherever you would like and just know I'm creeping in the bushes somewhere for the finish. And yeah, you are right about that last part. 

2012-12-04 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4521332

User image

Melon Presser
jogo - 2012-12-05 2:15 AM

HI MANATEES!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I'm in for wherever you need me on the run. Maybe at the start, off the bike, or the 20 mile wall. I can help you Phoenix your way through. I promise I will rise you up and carry you on huge red wings, although the bird's body may resemble a flying manatee.

CANTSTOPRAFFING

15-20k for you. many manatanks!

2012-12-04 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4458563

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

I'm there wherever you need me to be for ya Yanti--if you need any negative reinforcement, just imagine me as a giant gecko chasing you!Laughing

No really, I will be thinking of you and checking in (well attempting to--barring the stupid reptile house computer--it has many issues...) on your progress! 

You will kick much butt, I am sure!

2012-12-04 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4521177

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
amd723 - 2012-12-04 12:16 PM

jmkizer - 2012-12-04 10:30 AM

Happy Tuesday!  I completed my JoGo Challenge requirement this morning with a core + swim workout. 

I hope that everything is going well for all of the Manatees!

Chris, I still need to make hotel reservations in the Englewood area.  Hampton Inn Bayshore in Venice is what you recommended?  I need to be able to get to Englewood easily but also run up to Sarasota (well, Manatee State Park) easily as well.

Yanti, have you heard anything about the launch of the BT redesign?  I'm curious about it.  Should be soon!

The Hampton inn bayshore is where I stayed for my HIM. I wasn't there very long, but the place was neat and clean and the free breakfast buffet was quite nice as far as they go. Chris can fill you in better as far as travel times to where you need to go, but it is close to Sarasota and Englewood.

Hampton is midway between Englewood and Sarasota/Manatee. Actually it is closer to E-wood than Manatee, but it is close to I-75, which is good for your race. And right up against the Legacy trail, which is great for riding and running, if you get the chance. There is also a Holiday Inn Express on Jacaranda Blvd that might be better, but I don't know of anyone that has stayed there. It is on the I-75 exit.

How long are you here for? If schedules permit, I'll buy you the beer that I missed giving Ann-Marie when she was here. Sharkey's has a beautiful view of the sunset from the roof, if you get to nothing else, hit that for dinner one night. Or the Crow's Nest.
2012-12-04 1:31 PM

User image

Elite
Yanti last 10km of bike first 10km of run. I will be there when you're so happy to be off the bike then when you're a quarter through the run and I will tell you then - girl you got this
2012-12-04 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4521123

User image

Master
Central Kansas
bcraht - 2012-12-04 10:57 AM
TriAya - 2012-12-04 7:39 AM

HI MANATEES!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

sign me up for wherever needed! Do you prefer encouraging or Jillian-style sass?

Oh, I LOVE Jillian. I can't wait for January 6th. I need some of her sassing myself.

I'll take a run segment. Just let me know what time. I can't promise to run it at the exact same time as you, but I can promise to pray for you during that time.

I think this is a great idea, Yanti!

2012-12-04 2:50 PM
in reply to: #4521197

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Asalzwed - 2012-12-04 11:24 AM

So, ever since my HM in October my left hip has been a little off. Not overly painful or anything just ... off. My thought is that it's my IT band because it is sore right around the outside of my hip and a little tight down on the outside of my knee. Although my symptoms don't seem to be classic ITBS so I am not sure. Like I said, it's not so much pain just a tightness or a dull ache sometimes after a really long run.

I am about to go into some really intense marathon training and I would like to do whatever I need to take care of it now as I know any little tiny thing can really be magnified. 

I don't really know where to start and I want to be as efficient as possible. Thoughts?

It sounds a little like what I had (still have, sometimes). I also thought it was ITBS, but like you, I didn't have all of the symptoms. It was SI Joint disfunction. I'm poking around right now, but I can't find where the pain was (which is good for me!), so I can't tell you if it was where you are describing.

You can YouTube SI Joint disfunction exercises, but one thing the PT has me do whenever I feel it flaring up, and I do them proactively (doing it right now, as a matter of fact), is to sit in my chair, and either place a fist or two between my knees and squeeze together, or, as in right now, I have an exercise ball under my desk that I put between my knees, and then I squeeze that. Then you put your hands on the outside of your knees, and push your knees a part. The PT said that this would help realign the joint.

She also told me that I was never, under any circumstances, ever, do the machine at the gym where you sit and pull your legs apart and then push them together. (Sorry, I don't know what it's called.) This machine:

Inner Outer Thigh Machine

2012-12-04 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4521285

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Asalzwed - 2012-12-04 11:57 AM
TriAya - 2012-12-04 11:54 AM
Asalzwed - 2012-12-05 1:24 AM

Pain in the azz at all?

Other than me?

I'd add 2x/day ITB-specific stretches and rolling. If that's what it is, a difference should be noticeable within a few days, even after tougher runs.

Other than you? Yes. Well, like right above the cheek.

Ah phew, so you think I can get away with just the rolling and stretching? That's be really, really great news. 

If you do the classic ITB stretch, and don't feel pain, then I don't think it's ITB -- that's what the athletic trainers here on campus told me, anyway. That could be a good way to check it.

2012-12-04 4:41 PM
in reply to: #4521657

User image

Seattle
KansasMom - 2012-12-04 2:50 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-12-04 11:24 AM

It sounds a little like what I had (still have, sometimes). I also thought it was ITBS, but like you, I didn't have all of the symptoms. It was SI Joint disfunction. I'm poking around right now, but I can't find where the pain was (which is good for me!), so I can't tell you if it was where you are describing.

You can YouTube SI Joint disfunction exercises, but one thing the PT has me do whenever I feel it flaring up, and I do them proactively (doing it right now, as a matter of fact), is to sit in my chair, and either place a fist or two between my knees and squeeze together, or, as in right now, I have an exercise ball under my desk that I put between my knees, and then I squeeze that. Then you put your hands on the outside of your knees, and push your knees a part. The PT said that this would help realign the joint.

She also told me that I was never, under any circumstances, ever, do the machine at the gym where you sit and pull your legs apart and then push them together. (Sorry, I don't know what it's called.) This machine:

Great. I appreciate the input. I needed the refresher in some of those exercises. I *should* know them but of course I forgot.

Thanks again! 

2012-12-04 5:30 PM

User image

Seattle

I have been waiting for this information for a while now:

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/tougher-standards-2016-olympic-marathon-trials

I assumed it would drop from the previous 2:46 standard (from 2012) and am happy to see that it "only" dropped to 2:43. I was a little worried they may drop the "B" standard for women and the goal might be out of reach. Also happy to see the return of the men's "B" standard.

Probably a little TMI as it's not something you guys are tracking but it's definitely something I have my eye on. 

2012-12-04 6:45 PM
in reply to: #4521500

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
cdban66 - 2012-12-04 2:24 PM
amd723 - 2012-12-04 12:16 PM
jmkizer - 2012-12-04 10:30 AM

Happy Tuesday!  I completed my JoGo Challenge requirement this morning with a core + swim workout. 

I hope that everything is going well for all of the Manatees!

Chris, I still need to make hotel reservations in the Englewood area.  Hampton Inn Bayshore in Venice is what you recommended?  I need to be able to get to Englewood easily but also run up to Sarasota (well, Manatee State Park) easily as well.

Yanti, have you heard anything about the launch of the BT redesign?  I'm curious about it.  Should be soon!

The Hampton inn bayshore is where I stayed for my HIM. I wasn't there very long, but the place was neat and clean and the free breakfast buffet was quite nice as far as they go. Chris can fill you in better as far as travel times to where you need to go, but it is close to Sarasota and Englewood.
Hampton is midway between Englewood and Sarasota/Manatee. Actually it is closer to E-wood than Manatee, but it is close to I-75, which is good for your race. And right up against the Legacy trail, which is great for riding and running, if you get the chance. There is also a Holiday Inn Express on Jacaranda Blvd that might be better, but I don't know of anyone that has stayed there. It is on the I-75 exit. How long are you here for? If schedules permit, I'll buy you the beer that I missed giving Ann-Marie when she was here. Sharkey's has a beautiful view of the sunset from the roof, if you get to nothing else, hit that for dinner one night. Or the Crow's Nest.

Thanks to both of you!  Very helpful!

I'll think that we are going to drive from Raleigh all in one day and get there on Friday evening (3/22). Crash at the hotel and then meet up with Kevin's dad on Saturday.  Check out the course, etc.  Packet pickup.  You know the drill.  Sunday is the race. 

Two years ago we did that and our intent was to visit with Kevin's dad and wife on Monday but they were kinda like -- gotta golf, see ya so we left on Monday after taking them to breakfast.  Kevin said let's go to Busch Gardens on Monday.  So it'll be a relatively quick turn around.  When it gets closer, we'll figure something out.

2012-12-04 6:47 PM
in reply to: #4520928

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

HI MANATEES!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Let me know what you need!  We Manatees are here for you!

2012-12-04 7:09 PM
in reply to: #4521347

User image

Master
Orlando
Asalzwed - 2012-12-04 12:21 PM
TriAya - 2012-12-04 11:48 AM
Asalzwed - 2012-12-05 1:25 AM
TriAya - 2012-12-04 9:39 AM

HI MANATEES!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Oooooh! You know I want the ever-punishing last 5K in the marathon. I'll take the full 6.2 if I can, but that might just be too cruel! Innocent

I think at that point I will need all the help I can possibly get, riding crop included.

I didn't make the same offer in TAN but for some reason folks just rushed forward to volunteer anyway

On the one hand, rats, I just gave away two slots encompassing the last 7.2km

On Ann-Marie's 17th hand, I REALLY REALLY REALLY need you, Salty, to run me into the finish. Please come with me anyway because it's not just that I need all the help I can get (cattle prod included--Manatee prod?), it's that I need YOU. I also know what you will do to me if I don't make it to 35km and you won't get to run me in, because I have a feeling that'll be worse than just trying to make it to 35km and finish on time.

Hahaha Ann-Marie's 17th hand. You're too good.

Well, feel free to place me wherever you would like and just know I'm creeping in the bushes somewhere for the finish. And yeah, you are right about that last part. 

Hey, all those hands come in, well, handy.  Trust me.

2012-12-04 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Started CrossFit tonight.  That was interesting.  Lots of technique work and then a 20 minute workout but I am counting an additional 10 minutes toward the challenge for all the technique work. 

In true manatee style, I had an embarrassing moment.  Embarassed  Doing my 1st assisted pull-up, by myself of course while all was silent and all were watching, I let one rip.  The trainer moved me from the pull up bar to the rings.  Coincidence that she moved me?  I think not.  Pewwwwww!

2012-12-04 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4522193

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Got my 30 minutes in today.

Jo -- I'm glad the crossfit went well. Very funny about your "outburst." :-)

2012-12-04 9:10 PM
in reply to: #4522193

User image

Master
jogo - 2012-12-04 6:42 PM

Started CrossFit tonight.  That was interesting.  Lots of technique work and then a 20 minute workout but I am counting an additional 10 minutes toward the challenge for all the technique work. 

In true manatee style, I had an embarrassing moment.  Embarassed  Doing my 1st assisted pull-up, by myself of course while all was silent and all were watching, I let one rip.  The trainer moved me from the pull up bar to the rings.  Coincidence that she moved me?  I think not.  Pewwwwww!

Bahahahahahahahahahaha!  Oh, Jo, that is awesome!  The same thing happened to my friend in high school!  I think you can count the additional 10 minutes from this--I'm sure your heart rate went up!

I got in a 15 min dog walk today to help my mom out.  I came home and really didn't want to do anything.  I am grateful for the challenge, because I got on the bike for 17min to fulfill the requirements.  

2012-12-04 9:18 PM

User image

Melon Presser

I love you all. With a Manatee-heart-humping kind of love.

Here's the schedule so far. I cannot express enough thanks for having been there for me all along, (yes the cards are coming with me to Oz why do you even have to ask?!) and coming with me on this momentous journey too.

90-100kmJanyne 
100-110kmTJrrunner
110-120kmMelaniemelbo
120-130kmKirstenbcraht
130-140kmDubSix 
140-150kmSalty 
150-160kmKate Gore 
160-170km  
170-180kmJo Baxas

Yes, Jo gets two segments because she asked and because like me she is a total IM ho.

0-5kmJo Baxas  
5-10kmAnn-Marie  
10-15km   
15-20kmJogo  
20-25kmFeliciaKansasMom
25-30kmSir Curseylonoscurse
30-35kmMark LokenBuckshot 
35-40kmTangerinesblueyedbSALTY
40-finishKate-O-MelonstrinnasSALTY

2012-12-04 9:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Woohoo!! I am going to Oz with Yanti! Okay, in spirit, but still!Laughing

I got my 30 in...plus some! 5 mile run (in 55 min.), plus a half hour of strength on Wii Active. I also got an early self-purchased Christmas present of a foam roller....It HURT. I can only hope it helps with the mostly constant hip and back pain I have. At least the pain isn't there during workouts!

Tomorrow I have only a swim planned--a good recovery workout I think.

One more regular school day to go--next Tuesday I have my finals, and then I am FREE!! (until January....)

2012-12-04 10:09 PM
in reply to: #4522230

User image

Master
TriAya - 2012-12-04 7:18 PM

Here's the schedule so far. I cannot express enough thanks for having been there for me all along, (yes the cards are coming with me to Oz why do you even have to ask?!) and coming with me on this momentous journey too.

90-100kmJanyne 
100-110kmTJrrunner
110-120kmMelaniemelbo
120-130kmKirstenbcraht
130-140kmDubSix 
140-150kmSalty 
150-160kmKate Gore 
160-170km  
170-180kmJo Baxas

Yes, Jo gets two segments because she asked and because like me she is a total IM ho.

0-5kmJo Baxas  
5-10kmAnn-Marie  
10-15km   
15-20kmJogo  
20-25kmFeliciaKansasMom

Oooooh, bib number 82.  Those are both good numbers, according to my SO!  I will be there with you on Red Robber (that's his name, right?).  Well, maybe I will push from behind, you don't need all my extra weight!

2012-12-04 10:17 PM

User image

Elite
Figures it's in my hemisphere probably easier for me
2012-12-04 11:22 PM
in reply to: #4521663

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Had my group Christmas party at my house. Good food and the party was a good time, in spite of upper management being in town. However, it's an hour past my bed time and I'm already making excuses NOT to get up for masters tomorrow.
2012-12-04 11:38 PM
in reply to: #4522230

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
TriAya - 2012-12-04 9:18 PM

90-100kmJanyne 
100-110kmTJrrunner
110-120kmMelaniemelbo
120-130kmKirstenbcraht
130-140kmDubSix 
140-150kmSalty 
150-160kmKate Gore 
160-170km Reece reecealan
170-180kmJo Baxas

0-5kmJo Baxas  
5-10kmAnn-Marie  
10-15km   
15-20kmJogo  
20-25kmFeliciaKansasMom

Ooh, I'll take that spot on top of Jo and underneath Kate.  I mean, Peanut Butter gotta be sandwiched in there somewhere right...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty Beyond Ridiculous Manatees PART 6--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 91