of 73

2009-03-31 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2051329

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED
[

Hey Suzy. I think Steve could have some good input here for you. He did the IM Canada and from what I understand that has quite a few extensive climbs in it. From what I have heard the raod bike is much better than the tri for climbing and I would tend to agree just from my few races last year. You can also put areobars on the road bike. Not as good an areodynamic as a tri bike but it is better than none at all.

Swimming coach???? Tough to say what you should do. It sounds like the coach is not particularly interested in your training. Definitely not as interested as you of course. If you have been swimming for a while and have the techniques down maybe it is time to drop the coach and push yourself to get better. I had a trainer for a "very short" time last year to improve my technique after which I just continued to improve on my own. I have a dvd from Kevin Koskala from the BT site and between that and the previous coaching I have improved significantly over the past year. I have gone from, at this time last year, having difficulty doing 100 m swims continously to being able to handle much longer distances now and improved my speed also. If you still want a coach then I would seriously consider a new one.

Edited by Redknight 2009-03-31 1:12 PM

2009-03-31 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2051421

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

I would go with Aerobars, from what I have seen St. Croix is a different Animal.  It has a killer hill on it that is very steep.  You will climb better on a road bike, that is true but the rest of the course has to be seriously steep for it to be more advantageous (SP?) than having the comfort of the tri-bike.

hmm, the coach is a tough one, I am a push-over most of the time but I cannot stand it when people do not show up when expected.  If I take the time out of my busy schedule to be somplace to meet someone they should damn well do the same, especially if I am paying them to be there.

Do you think that he is getting you faster in the water, 1 full year you should be pushing that 2:00 barrier I think.  I have found with swim folks that some can teach to adult starting swimmers and some can't.  They are fine coaches to those that grew up doing it but just can't seem to fathom how some of us just don't know how to look like a fish in the water.

2009-03-31 1:29 PM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi Suzy, I'm not sure if you have a separate road bike and/or a tri-bike but my fitter recommended that I don't put aerobars on my road bike.  Like Steve mentioned, the fitter said it's a total different bike fitting and that my bike wasn't made/have the dimensions to properly give me the benefit of being in the aero position because he can only adjust my road bike so much to conform to the positioning of a tri-bike and what may result is undue strain on the body and bad biking habits.

About the swim coach, since you paid for the lessons, keep him until you find someone else especially since you think he might not be helping/improving your stroke.  My swim coach didn't show-up once, he gave me 2 free lessons and I still fired (didn't continue with) him because I felt he wasn't helping my technique though he improved my endurance.

2009-03-31 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Suzy, for the aero question:  do you ride alone in groups most of the time?  For group rides, a road bike is preferred because is a more stable ride and a little more predictable for the group.  If you prefer to ride alone and only for training purposes, then the tri bike.  For my personal preference, I like my road biking and group riding for the enjoyment.  I have lots of hills to climb as well.  My road bike is plenty fast for tri's and putting aero bars on it allows for my racing. Having a tri bike would be fun, but more of a treat.  So evaluate why and how you ride and then choose. 

Swimming:  have you made good progress with this swim coach?  Would you be able to continue making progress with him, or is the relationship tainted now?  Think more about what you want, not feeling bad for him. He had his chance and you are the customer.

2009-03-31 3:22 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Kim, we  were talking nutrition in our logs and I don't know how to post a photo there, so I'll do it here.  You asked how to carry more than 2 water bottles at once, here is how.  This bottle holder fits behind your seat and holds 2 more bottles, allowing for 4 bottle at once, or 5 if you have an aerobottle.   Don't recommend lugging that much fluid during a race though  

(water rack.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
water rack.jpg (33KB - 9 downloads)
2009-03-31 5:09 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Oh man a lot going on... Suzy I posted earlier, but didn't save my work!  DOH!

A couple things about a "TRI BIKE."  It is designed to be more aerodynamic, and it is designed to "save" your legs for the run "meaning working different muscle groups."  If you are doing a long distance race this will have a great impact on you during the run.  If you have a few hills you will be on your hoods, and/or out of the saddle anyways! Go with a tri bike.

If you are primarily riding in groups, doing shorter races, having fun, then stick to a roadie.  Or do what most of us dream... GET BOTH!!!

For Canada it is very hilly, but keep in mind what goes up, must come down!  This was a chance for me to stretch out in aero, spin the legs, relax, and enjoy!  (Profile shown below)...

For your coach... Can his a$$! You are obviously not that important to him if he can't organize his life in a way where he can't meet you!  You are just another notch in his check book.  He doesn't CARE about you, or how you do!!! Teach him a lesson!  There are plenty of people that are probably dying to teach some one that is has devoted to the sport as you are!  Tell that guy to POUND SAND and grow up!  3 fricken times... NO WAY!

(bikeprof.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bikeprof.jpg (6KB - 10 downloads)

2009-03-31 7:26 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Here are some photos of my aero bottle / Garmin set up and one of my newest riding shorts. Told you pink rocks.  The helmet is the old one, and no my new helmet is not pink.

(bike setup.jpg)

(blinding T bike.jpg)

(bike setup 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bike setup.jpg (74KB - 10 downloads)
blinding T bike.jpg (80KB - 11 downloads)
bike setup 2.jpg (91KB - 5 downloads)
2009-03-31 8:17 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
How does the Garmin sit there???
2009-03-31 8:24 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
it is hanging there.  There is no attachment device, I just fastened the watch strap buckle and let it hang there. Works fine for a trainer ride, but I'm thinking about changing the strap to the velcro for riding outside and see how that works.
2009-03-31 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
2009-03-31 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2052495

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2009-03-31 8:26 PM

Here are some photos of my aero bottle / Garmin set up and one of my newest riding shorts. Told you pink rocks.  The helmet is the old one, and no my new helmet is not pink.

Aww, aren't you so cute in your pink kitLaughing

2009-03-31 9:50 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

Suzy and everyone responding to the aerobar dillema...I was in Atlanta today, and went by All3Sports.  After I was finished drooling all over myself, I talked for a while with their bike fitter regarding some option for me moving forward.  I hate to give up the road bike setup, because I ride ALOT with my group and don't want to give it up.  I was asking him about the Chrissy Wellington setup (P2c with roadbars and aerobars). 

He sees some advantages in riding most of the time in the same geometry.  His thoughts were that riding a road bike most of the time and switching to tri would cause some fatigue problems.  Because I am not going to be able to pull the trigger on a new bike before my tri, he said riding in the drops would do the trick.  Although not as comfy, he said the drops would make a rider 30% more aerodynamic.  Tri position would be more comfortable for the long haul, but for my shorter race, he suggested the drops if I did not want to refit my roadie to a tri setup.

Also Suzy, I am just curious...what is your swim coach doing for you?  I have never had a coach, other than masters, and he just puts up a workout.  No technical stuff.  Are you getting tweaked on your stroke every week, or is it mostly motivational.  Seems like if you have been with a coach for a year, you would have alot to work on by yourself for a while.  I think a coach would be better than no coach, but I would think that you could get alot done on your own.  After all, you are a MACHINE!

Oh, and while I am rambling.  I tried on wetsuits while I was there.  The guy in the shop wanted me to try on some so I would have an idea of fit.  I tried on 5 suits, and the first one I tried, I was having a HE11 of a time getting my arms started in the sleeves.  I was having to reach way behind me like a contortionist.  Well, I finally got my arms in and pulled it up and the damnded thing was on backwards  lesson learned.

2009-04-01 6:53 AM
in reply to: #2053080

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Plainsman AU - 2009-03-31 10:50 PM

Oh, and while I am rambling.  I tried on wetsuits while I was there.  The guy in the shop wanted me to try on some so I would have an idea of fit.  I tried on 5 suits, and the first one I tried, I was having a HE11 of a time getting my arms started in the sleeves.  I was having to reach way behind me like a contortionist.  Well, I finally got my arms in and pulled it up and the damnded thing was on backwards  lesson learned.

NO wonder you were havng such a hard time. I'll bet the zipper was easy though. Better at the store than at a race I bet they hada good chuckle at the store.

2009-04-01 7:27 AM
in reply to: #2053528

User image

Champion

Redknight - 2009-04-01 7:53 AM

NO wonder you were havng such a hard time. I'll bet the zipper was easy though. Better at the store than at a race I bet they hada good chuckle at the store.

So is this how you wear your aero helmet too?

http://www.birdseyeview.net/cgi-local/ImageFolio42/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Triathlons%2F20090314_PAR%2FBike&image=PAR_B2167.jpg&img&tt&search=180&cat=Triathlons%2F20090314_PAR&bool=and

2009-04-01 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2053603

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2009-04-01 8:27 AM

Redknight - 2009-04-01 7:53 AM

So is this how you wear your aero helmet too?

http://www.birdseyeview.net/cgi-local/ImageFolio42/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Triathlons%2F20090314_PAR%2FBike&image=PAR_B2167.jpg&img&tt&search=180&cat=Triathlons%2F20090314_PAR&bool=and

I can't believe that picture!!  She spent a lot of money on that whole get up too.  Talk about a FRED!!!

2009-04-01 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2052914

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

I have the velcro strap, but I was trying to show with the photos that my bars don't run parallel so the mounting bracket could be a problem.  I haven't taken much time to try anything yet.  I'll let you know what works. Thanks for the links.

Edited by tahrens 2009-04-01 8:44 AM

2009-04-01 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Quick question about tri shorts.  I bought a pair online from Tyr and they came yesterday.  I actually bought a size bigger than I normally do for shorts based on their sizing chart.  I tried them on last night and they barely cover my butt (meaning they seem to be very low cut on top - and no, I didn't put them on backwardsTongue out)!  Everywhere else they fit fine - a little snug but I expected that.  Do these normally run small or is my butt just bigger than I thought?

Suzy - regarding your swim coach - I would consider what you're getting out of the sessions.  Do you like him as a coach (I would think so if you've been working with him for a year)? Is it worth the money you've spent to have him coaching you?  Is this a recent thing or has he been doing it throughout the past year?  If it was me, if he had decent reasons for missing/being late for sessions and wasn't just blowing you off, I'd give him another chance but with the understanding that if it happens again (even once), you'll go elsewhere.  You pay him to focus on you for that time, and if he doesn't, you'll find someone who will. 

2009-04-01 8:54 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Janet, believe it or not, they actually make low ride bike shorts!  Yikes!  You didn't buy a pair of those by mistake did you?  My tri shorts all fit the same as my bike shorts.

2009-04-01 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2053834

User image

Champion

soccermom15 - 2009-04-01 9:49 AM

Quick question about tri shorts.  I bought a pair online from Tyr and they came yesterday.  I actually bought a size bigger than I normally do for shorts based on their sizing chart.  I tried them on last night and they barely cover my butt (meaning they seem to be very low cut on top - and no, I didn't put them on backwardsTongue out)!  Everywhere else they fit fine - a little snug but I expected that.  Do these normally run small or is my butt just bigger than I thought?

Suzy - regarding your swim coach - I would consider what you're getting out of the sessions.  Do you like him as a coach (I would think so if you've been working with him for a year)? Is it worth the money you've spent to have him coaching you?  Is this a recent thing or has he been doing it throughout the past year?  If it was me, if he had decent reasons for missing/being late for sessions and wasn't just blowing you off, I'd give him another chance but with the understanding that if it happens again (even once), you'll go elsewhere.  You pay him to focus on you for that time, and if he doesn't, you'll find someone who will. 

I wouldn't be a guy if I didn't say that the only way we can verify is with pictures...Tongue out

2009-04-01 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

I JUST LOST THE DIAMOND OUT OF MY WEDDING RING!!!  After 20 minutes of nasty dumpster diving (I work in a biological lab so there was some very nasty stuff there) and looking through latex gloves, sink drains and on the floor on my hands and knees, no luck.  Cry

Now the real question, which do I want more, a new diamond or a tri bike?  After 11 years of marriage I might be more tempted by the tri bike. Wink

2009-04-01 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2053861

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
dalessit - 2009-04-01 8:59 AM

soccermom15 - 2009-04-01 9:49 AM

I wouldn't be a guy if I didn't say that the only way we can verify is with pictures...Tongue out

I had the mental picture of the pace line bringing up the rear (no pun intended) ((is that the way you spell pun?))

2009-04-01 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2054089

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
tahrens - 2009-04-01 10:26 AM

I JUST LOST THE DIAMOND OUT OF MY WEDDING RING!!!  After 20 minutes of nasty dumpster diving (I work in a biological lab so there was some very nasty stuff there) and looking through latex gloves, sink drains and on the floor on my hands and knees, no luck.  Cry

Now the real question, which do I want more, a new diamond or a tri bike?  After 11 years of marriage I might be more tempted by the tri bike. Wink

Sorry to hear that about your ring, but as one of our recent ellected officials said... A crisis is a terrible thing to waste.  

How does a replacement Cubic Zirconia sound along with the new bike?

2009-04-01 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2054244

User image

Champion

Tracy, 

Did you register for Army 10 Miler yet?  Opens today, I am in.

2009-04-01 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
sure did.  Diamond rings, wetsuits, family registration for races, what's a few $100 here or there.
2009-04-01 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2054570

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

tahrens - 2009-04-01 1:51 PM sure did.  Diamond rings, wetsuits, family registration for races, what's a few $100 here or there.

Check with your insurance company. My wife lost her diamond a few years back (or threw it away) and they replaced it. Actually she ended up getting a larger one and we just paid the difference.

Janet: I fail to see the problem. It sounds like the tri shorts fit perfectly.  You can be the race bunny for all the guys

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73