BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-10-06 1:01 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by marcag It would be interesting to get your CTL from Shane and compare two good races. Your CTL was low compared to a race like Miami last year, correct ? I did not look at my CTL for the last 3 weeks because I knew it would be really bad. After the race I looked at it and sure enough it's at the low of off-season. My CTL has dropped all summer. I am a strong believer that CTL is a reflection of fitness FYI Fred, my HRV this morning is pretty bad so it seems like it does detect fatigue. I believe this has the potential of a much better metric than TSB, but lots of playing more with it.

CTL leading to Barrelman was ~85, for Miami last year it was more like 98.  Mont Tremblant was somewhere in the middle of that.  Going to France for 3 weeks and doing very little training caused the graph to plummet.  I also had a few weeks in July where I didn't run because I screwed up my knee.  It's interesting how all that clearly shows up in those graphs.  

2014-10-06 1:05 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by marcag It would be interesting to get your CTL from Shane and compare two good races. Your CTL was low compared to a race like Miami last year, correct ? I did not look at my CTL for the last 3 weeks because I knew it would be really bad. After the race I looked at it and sure enough it's at the low of off-season. My CTL has dropped all summer. I am a strong believer that CTL is a reflection of fitness FYI Fred, my HRV this morning is pretty bad so it seems like it does detect fatigue. I believe this has the potential of a much better metric than TSB, but lots of playing more with it.

Wow.    I haven't a clue what you are writing about., LOL

Crunchy Taco Level sounds good enough for me right now.

2014-10-06 1:08 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1

They had pulled pork, black bean chili with crunchy taco chips at the CX race yesterday.  Mmmmmm

2014-10-06 1:24 PM

User image

Champion
Had an eventful weekend in Jasper with my mom. Went for an ER conference but snuck in a 2.5hr XC mountain ride. Rented a bike because my rear brake is currently out of commission. Had a hard a$$ man seat and now my bum hurts. Need to bring my own saddle next time I rent. Owie. Haha. ENded up going about 18.8mi with a few bike portages over stairs or slick rocks but got er done.

HM in Victoria this weekend. We will see how it goes. Haha. Shane is going to send my race plan. I'm sure it will say start easy, stay easy, build maybe the last 5k if you can. Well see.

2014-10-06 1:31 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Champion
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by brigby1

They had pulled pork, black bean chili with crunchy taco chips at the CX race yesterday.  Mmmmmm

I feel like this is how my notes look to people.

59 male c/o CP and SOBOE. . Hx of NSTEMI (2013), CAD, HTN, GERD...

CTL as crunchy taco level seems good to me too. Lol.
2014-10-06 4:51 PM
in reply to: mndymond

Master
, California

Looks like I won a spot on the first-round lottery for Alcatraz

2014-10-06 4:52 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by spudone

Congrats, me too!

2014-10-06 4:58 PM

User image

Congrats, me too!

Congrats guys!  Hopefully I'll join the fun in roucn two, but if not, I'll have fun tracking you guys!

2014-10-06 5:52 PM

User image

Champion

Congrats, me too!

Nice!! Start doing stairs now.
2014-10-06 5:56 PM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Originally posted by mndymond

Congrats, me too!

Nice!! Start doing sand stairs now.

fixt

2014-10-06 6:22 PM

Master
, California

It makes me wonder how they operate this lottery and how many people turn down spots each year.  The list that was posted today had 2074 names, even though they say it's a 2000 person event with 1700 coming from the lottery.  Maybe they've raised it a bit.

It'll be interesting to see how many names they draw on the 2nd round.  I hope you get in Chris... I need a tour guide.

2014-10-06 6:38 PM

User image

It makes me wonder how they operate this lottery and how many people turn down spots each year.  The list that was posted today had 2074 names, even though they say it's a 2000 person event with 1700 coming from the lottery.  Maybe they've raised it a bit.

It'll be interesting to see how many names they draw on the 2nd round.  I hope you get in Chris... I need a tour guide.

All's I know is it is SUPER crowded on the bike.  I know bryan dunn got in 2d round last year, and another friend went charity route.  I think some people might balk when faced with the fee.  looks like 1585 fiished last year

2014-10-06 6:50 PM

Master
, California

All's I know is it is SUPER crowded on the bike.  I know bryan dunn got in 2d round last year, and another friend went charity route.  I think some people might balk when faced with the fee.  looks like 1585 fiished last year

Yeah I saw some photos from dcrainmaker and the ferry looked pretty packed too.  Race price - whatever.  It's lodging that'll bite.  I know someone who works for Expedia, but it's still San Fran...

I'm not passing it up though.  I've been trying for too long.

2014-10-06 8:07 PM

User image

Yeah I saw some photos from dcrainmaker and the ferry looked pretty packed too.  Race price - whatever.  It's lodging that'll bite.  I know someone who works for Expedia, but it's still San Fran...

We stayed at Pier 2620 this year, (I think that's the right number).   A new hotel for me, it was very good

2014-10-06 9:47 PM

User image

Picked ths guy up today. CAADX disc with 11 speed 105. My egg beater candy pedals are already in, just waiting on my mountain bike shoes and fenders. Will likely add a rack and trunk bag for commuting. A set of at least 5 CX races was just announced and starts the weekend after I get back from Kona...so i better start practicing my runs and mounts.

(2014-10-06 16.10.17.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
2014-10-06 16.10.17.jpg (2068KB - 1 downloads)
2014-10-07 2:00 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

OK, it's long, it's got pics, it's got tears, drama, suspense, intrigue....  or maybe just pics.....

SOS Race Report

2014-10-07 2:41 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

We stayed at Pier 2620 this year, (I think that's the right number).   A new hotel for me, it was very good

Hope you get in on round two Chris!  We've already got airfare booked, we were going whether or not I got into the race.    Airfare was on points so that will make the lodging costs hurt a bit less...

2014-10-07 7:46 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N Picked ths guy up today. CAADX disc with 11 speed 105. My egg beater candy pedals are already in, just waiting on my mountain bike shoes and fenders. Will likely add a rack and trunk bag for commuting. A set of at least 5 CX races was just announced and starts the weekend after I get back from Kona...so i better start practicing my runs and mounts.

Nice bike Jason!  I would have gotten the 105 for sure if they'd had any in stock.  

I found my (lack of) bike handling skills to be a bigger detriment than runs and mounts in the race I did.

2014-10-08 9:07 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-10-08 12:04 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Extreme Veteran

question for you guys, need complete honesty here....no being nice :-)

A person in Montreal I know has asked me to coach her, online.
I have been helping here and there but it's getting too serious.

What is a reasonable cost would you say ? This person is half way between a friend and an acquaintance so I do kind of feel weird taking money. But at one point, I becomes alot to do this just being nice and everyone becomes uncomfortable.....

Where I feel weird is I don't have the experience of a Shane but I had been around the block a little.

So give me a range over $10 per month :-)

2014-10-08 12:07 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by marcag question for you guys, need complete honesty here....no being nice :-) A person in Montreal I know has asked me to coach her, online. I have been helping here and there but it's getting too serious. What is a reasonable cost would you say ? This person is half way between a friend and an acquaintance so I do kind of feel weird taking money. But at one point, I becomes alot to do this just being nice and everyone becomes uncomfortable..... Where I feel weird is I don't have the experience of a Shane but I had been around the block a little. So give me a range over $10 per month :-)

I can't recommend a price range but I do know most coaches outline exactly what they're going to do -- level of service.  Just making plans?  Email support?  Call you during dinnertime?  It's up to you but should influence what you charge to some degree.

2014-10-08 12:14 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Marc, what expectations does she have?  I assume she knows you don't have the experience so have you discussed what she is looking to get out of it?  If she's just looking for a weekly plan with some basic advice then that's one thing but if she's looking for the full meal deal then that would be another.

2014-10-08 12:17 PM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag question for you guys, need complete honesty here....no being nice :-) A person in Montreal I know has asked me to coach her, online. I have been helping here and there but it's getting too serious. What is a reasonable cost would you say ? This person is half way between a friend and an acquaintance so I do kind of feel weird taking money. But at one point, I becomes alot to do this just being nice and everyone becomes uncomfortable..... Where I feel weird is I don't have the experience of a Shane but I had been around the block a little. So give me a range over $10 per month :-)

I can't recommend a price range but I do know most coaches outline exactly what they're going to do -- level of service.  Just making plans?  Email support?  Call you during dinnertime?  It's up to you but should influence what you charge to some degree.

full meal deal :-)

Write plans
Analyze data
Adjust
Test
Questions
Talk if/when needed.
Help make purchase/equip decisions, race plans...basically anything a person could ask here on BT TT...but with an answer

Edited by marcag 2014-10-08 12:24 PM
2014-10-08 12:26 PM

Master
, California

Arg I need to stay out of TT.  I'm making fun of a derailed thread /facepalm.

2014-10-08 12:30 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag

full meal deal :-) Write plans Analyze data Adjust Test Questions Talk if/when needed. Help make purchase/equip decisions, race plans...basically anything a person could ask here on BT TT...but with an answer

Yeah, you need to charge for that.  What do *you* want out of it?  Are you looking to get into coaching and can use her as a learning experience?  If so I'd probably discuss that with her and see if reducing the price with that caveat interests her.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38176 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73623 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.