BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2008-04-25 9:01 AM
in reply to: #1361203

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED!
jjweav - 2008-04-25 9:44 AM

Yep, my training is done for the day too. I'll probably go to the pool after work, but only to get some sun. May do a few laps, but nothing planned. Tomorrow my only workout is going to be a swim in the morning. Gotta "taper" for my 5k on Sunday.

Haha, good plan...just take it easy. Make sure you have your sunblock on today!

2008-04-25 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1361001

User image

Expert
WA
dlswimmer - 2008-04-25 7:33 AM

I am going to go shopping this weekend for food next week. Does anyone have suggestions on what I should get for my meals? Keep in mind that I am about the opposite of vegetarian... I looove meat (please take that in the nutrition way and not the way my mind went as I read that over). I do like my veggies though, so any suggestions would be awesome.

i am also not vegetarian by any means (i loooooove burgers and steaks, etc), but one thing i've found that i really like is morningstar farms veggie burgers.  you throw it on a skillet for like 5 minutes, flip em occasionally, and bam, it's really delish.  i like to put them on english muffins (perfect sizing), add some cheese and a few slices of tomato or something, it's super easy, and pretty healthy.  i've tried two flavors so far, italian basil or something like that, and spicy black bean.  really - believe me i'm a meat eater, and these are really good.  and really easy.

i also eat a lot of bananas, and homemade smoothies are good too.  and for dinner, i find the EASIEST grain is couscous.  it's ridiculously simple, it takes no time to cook, and it's easy to flavor up with herbs/spices/lemon juice, whatever floats your boat.  i like the couscous. 

2008-04-25 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
dlswimmer - 2008-04-25 6:33 AM

I am going to go shopping this weekend for food next week.  Does anyone have suggestions on what I should get for my meals?  Keep in mind that I am about the opposite of vegetarian... I looove meat (please take that in the nutrition way and not the way my mind went as I read that over).  I do like my veggies though, so any suggestions would be awesome.

I love vegetables, and usually eat them steamed with a little seasoning. But if I'm in the mood for something different, Green Giant makes these frozen vegetable bags that have broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, and they come in this cheese sauce. It is SOOO good, and it only has like 40 calories per serving. Not as healthy as raw vegetables, but better than french fries.

2008-04-25 9:20 AM
in reply to: #1354013

User image

Expert
New Orleans

Just thought of one more that's one of my favorite dinners. At Winn Dixie, they sell frozen tuna steaks. Usually, I don't like frozen fish, but these are "cryovaccum sealed" or something fancy like that. Wen you thaw them out, they are still in pretty good shape. Anyways, season both sides with some lemon pepper and old bay, and pan sear them in olive oil for a few minutes on each side. It's really simple, quick, and they are sooo good. I like my tuna almost raw, but you can cook it through as much as you'd like.

2008-04-25 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

I have a homemade smoothie every morning for breakfast with fruit (I love those bags from BJ's!!!), physillium husks for fiber, soy protein, flax seed oil for some good fat, a banana, and yogurt.  So good!!  For the AM snack I'll go with some trail mix or some fruit with peanut butter.  Lunch maybe a big salad, or tuna, and some fresh veggies or fruit.  Afternoon snack is a Clif Bar or cottage cheese with fruit (lately it's been ice cream since I couldn't pass up a good sale at the store) and dinner is usually some sort of meat substitute or fish, veggies, and rice or pasta.  PM snack is whatever I can find in the house. 

I don't eat any meat besides seafood... not because I think it's bad to eat meat, I just never really liked it that much and decided to stop eating it in October.  The only meat I really liked was grilled hot dogs and hamburgers, but I figure I'd probably be better off not eating hot dogs

2008-04-25 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1361317

Champion
South Jersey

I like chicken stir fry. I found this seasoning mix packet thing at the grocery store that's pretty good and makes everything brown and stir-fried looking. I just use brown rice (best if it's cooked and then cooled), chopped green onions, peas and carrots (frozen ones, cook them, then throw them in), chicken, eggs (just move everything to the side of the pan, scramble them up, and then mix it in with everything), and some soy sauce. MMM . It's like straight outta benihana .

I usually cook the rice the day before, because it's easier to work with if you start with it cold (I use the real stuff, not the instant stuff usually). But if the rice is ready, I can do the meal in 15 mins.

2008-04-25 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1361383

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Good morning (almost noon for you east coasters.....)
2008-04-25 10:42 AM
in reply to: #1361562

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Lauren,

Jost saw your post on "how many tubes"  Do you use the same setup for shorter races?  I tend to.  1 tube and 2 Co2 for every length I do.  For training, I tend to bring one Co2 and throw a frame pump (if i can remember) in my jersey pocket or camelback (if a long ride and I know I mahy be out of cell phone coverage.)

2008-04-25 10:54 AM
in reply to: #1361570

Champion
South Jersey
Aikidoman - 2008-04-25 11:42 AM

Lauren,

Jost saw your post on "how many tubes"  Do you use the same setup for shorter races?  I tend to.  1 tube and 2 Co2 for every length I do.  For training, I tend to bring one Co2 and throw a frame pump (if i can remember) in my jersey pocket or camelback (if a long ride and I know I mahy be out of cell phone coverage.)

I carry the same stuff, but use a different set-up for shorter races.

For longer races (HIM, IM), my bento box is filled with nutrition, and so my one tube, two co2s, etc. goes behind my seat.

For shorter races, I stick one tube and one CO2 in my bento box (along with a gel or two). In shorter races, the race is over if I flat, but it'll be nice to have a way to get back to TA. I figure if the one CO2 cartridge I carry is bum, someone will come out to find me. I don't want to run that risk in longer races, hence the reason I carry two.

2008-04-25 10:55 AM
in reply to: #1361610

Champion
South Jersey
For IM, I plan on doing the same as HIM. I will have spare tubes in cartridges at special needs and will pick them up if I flatted at all during the first 56. Otherwise, I'm flying right on by special needs .
2008-04-25 10:59 AM
in reply to: #1361616

User image

Sensei
Sin City

LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-25 8:55 AM For IM, I plan on doing the same as HIM. I will have spare tubes in cartridges at special needs and will pick them up if I flatted at all during the first 56. Otherwise, I'm flying right on by special needs .

Oh yeah, forgot about that at last years Silverman.  Makes good sense.  At that race however, I don't think they saved your special needs bag if you didn't take it all with you.  But don't quote me on that.....

2008-04-25 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

I intend to learn how to change a tire (going to a clinic at the LBS at the beginning of May.. whoo!) and carry the proper things with me during a race, but what happens if you're out on the bike course and for some reason can't continue biking? 

Do you just walk (or run) back to transition with your bike if you'd like to try and continue on the run or are you done for the day?  What happens if you're stuck 18 miles out are there people out there that can help bring you back in?

2008-04-25 11:00 AM
in reply to: #1361631

Champion
South Jersey
Aikidoman - 2008-04-25 11:59 AM

LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-25 8:55 AM For IM, I plan on doing the same as HIM. I will have spare tubes in cartridges at special needs and will pick them up if I flatted at all during the first 56. Otherwise, I'm flying right on by special needs .

Oh yeah, forgot about that at last years Silverman.  Makes good sense.  At that race however, I don't think they saved your special needs bag if you didn't take it all with you.  But don't quote me on that.....

Yeah, you more than likely lose whatever you put in special needs. Losing a few tubes and cartridges is worth the price for peace of mind, IMO.

2008-04-25 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1361610

User image

Sensei
Sin City
LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-25 8:54 AM
Aikidoman - 2008-04-25 11:42 AM

Lauren,

I carry the same stuff, but use a different set-up for shorter races.

For longer races (HIM, IM), my bento box is filled with nutrition, and so my one tube, two co2s, etc. goes behind my seat.

For shorter races, I stick one tube and one CO2 in my bento box (along with a gel or two). In shorter races, the race is over if I flat, but it'll be nice to have a way to get back to TA. I figure if the one CO2 cartridge I carry is bum, someone will come out to find me. I don't want to run that risk in longer races, hence the reason I carry two.

Sounds about right - I fell into the same routine with the only exception of where I store it..... 1 tube and 1 co2 is always in my saddle bag.  I just remove the bento for short races and tape a couple GU's on the top tube.  For the HIM's, I needed more space so the bento goes back on for nutrition only.  (Also stuffed my spare blow tube in it the last race since the nutrition was gone and it was faster to put it there)

2008-04-25 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1361636

Champion
South Jersey
vball03umd - 2008-04-25 12:00 PM

I intend to learn how to change a tire (going to a clinic at the LBS at the beginning of May.. whoo!) and carry the proper things with me during a race, but what happens if you're out on the bike course and for some reason can't continue biking? 

Do you just walk (or run) back to transition with your bike if you'd like to try and continue on the run or are you done for the day?  What happens if you're stuck 18 miles out are there people out there that can help bring you back in?

It really depends on the race. Pretty much all races have enough volunteers out there that you won't have to go far to find someone who can communicate to someone that you need a ride. Also, another racer or official, will let someone know. Some races have SAG vehicles, etc. And, they do keep track of who makes it in. I've volunteered with race directors before, and there is usually always communication about the status of the last swimer, last cyclist, last runner, etc.,  I wouldn't worry...especially not at any of the races you're doing. You'll be fine. You can probably even just stay seated where you are.

And, yes, learn to change that tire soon. The first few times might take you FOREVER, but then it gets easier and quicker. It's a learned skill and you need to develop your little tricks. But it's not tough once you know what you're doing.

Let me know if you need any pointers.

2008-04-25 11:06 AM
in reply to: #1361636

User image

Sensei
Sin City
vball03umd - 2008-04-25 9:00 AM

It could be a wait, but they have safty and support vehicles that patrol.  One race, my aero bar shook loose so I had to pull over to tighten a bolt.  I was there for maybe a minute before a race vehicle stopped to check on my (a Pick up, so they can put your bike in the back)

Lauren may know for sure, but I think you CAN except help for a race vehicle on your bike (repair a flat or something) but you CAN NOT accept help from someone outside the race or another racer....

2008-04-25 11:08 AM

Champion
South Jersey

A bento box actually increases how aerodynamic your bike is, so I have no problems leaving it on for shorter races. I'll see if I can find the podcast featuring the study on it.

Not saying that it's always positioned properly and that given my set up it makes much a difference, if any, but it's enough that I don't get concerned about having it on there. I figure it's more aero and just seems "lighter" than saddle bag, even when it contains the same things.

2008-04-25 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1361650

User image

Sensei
Sin City
LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-25 9:04 AM

And, yes, learn to change that tire soon. The first few times might take you FOREVER, but then it gets easier and quicker. It's a learned skill and you need to develop your little tricks. But it's not tough once you know what you're doing.

Let me know if you need any pointers.

x2.  I have had a run of bad luck the last 6 months and changed a LOT of tires...  

First tip, have some cheap (and light) plastic tire levers.  I have strong hands and fingers, and I still can have issues take a tire off the rim.

I also have a slightly different technique for tube changes if in a race than during training.  One is faster, but skips a couple steps which may cause some issues if not carefull.

2008-04-25 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1361657

Champion
South Jersey

Correct. You can accept help from the official race support vehicles; you will be penalized if you accept outside help. Also, you'll be penalized if you leave anything on the course, so make sure you clean up everything after the change.

2008-04-25 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1361673

Champion
South Jersey

Yeah, I carry two tire levers, but with my tires and wheels only really need to use one.

I do A LOT of tire changes. All winter, I ride outdoor on weekends, but on the trainer during the week, and I use a different tire for each. So, I did two tire changes a week for the past 5 months; the same with last year.

Oh, if it's the rear tire, it's easier if you flip the bike upside down. Just make sure you get all your necessary tools and whatnot out of the saddlebag before flipping. Oh, and remove your water bottles too .

And, for me, it's easier if I sit down and lay the wheel horizontal on my knees and toes (kind of have my knees up in the air a bit). If I try to stand up the whole time, it takes me a few mins longer to get the tube & tire back on the rim. If I sit, it takes a few secs.

2008-04-25 11:18 AM
in reply to: #1361687

User image

Sensei
Sin City
LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-25 9:15 AM

Yeah, I carry two tire levers, but with my tires and wheels only really need to use one.

I do A LOT of tire changes. All winter, I ride outdoor on weekends, but on the trainer during the week, and I use a different tire for each. So, I did two tire changes a week for the past 5 months; the same with last year.

Oh, if it's the rear tire, it's easier if you flip the bike upside down. Just make sure you get all your necessary tools and whatnot out of the saddlebag before flipping. Oh, and remove your water bottles too .

And, for me, it's easier if I sit down and lay the wheel horizontal on my knees and toes (kind of have my knees up in the air a bit). If I try to stand up the whole time, it takes me a few mins longer to get the tube & tire back on the rim. If I sit, it takes a few secs.

heh, me too!  I was pulling briars and pebbles and dust off my bumm during the entire run in my race after sitting to fix the tire....

ETA:  AT first, I just plopped down on the edge of the road, but after 10 seconds, realized that I should leave the road open for the riders (duh!) and moved to the gravel shoulder.

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-04-25 11:19 AM

2008-04-25 11:40 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
dlswimmer - 2008-04-25 4:33 AM

shiggy - 2008-04-25 6:03 AM Good morning to all... any big training plans today? I really want to get on my bike this afternoon but there's a good chance I will get caught in a thunderstorm. I think I'd rather take my chances than use the trainer though!

about the same for me.  I am planning on riding and unless it is a raging storm I will do so.  I am also going to run and get some strength training in. 

I am going to go shopping this weekend for food next week.  Does anyone have suggestions on what I should get for my meals?  Keep in mind that I am about the opposite of vegetarian... I looove meat (please take that in the nutrition way and not the way my mind went as I read that over).  I do like my veggies though, so any suggestions would be awesome.

Do you like fish?  It is quick and easy to cook up.  Sprinkle some Mrs. Dash on it and your GOLDEN!  Yum!!!

2008-04-25 11:42 AM
in reply to: #1361132

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Boston Beginner - 2008-04-25 6:15 AM So I noticed that a bunch of you sent me inspires over the past couple of days, which is very cool.  I appologize for not responding, but I really never check them because, well, I never had them before.  I will start checking and responding daily.  Another thing to learn for a newbie.

That's a pretty cool BT feature, huh!

2008-04-25 11:45 AM
in reply to: #1361231

User image

Elite
far northern CA
shiggy - 2008-04-25 6:52 AM
dlswimmer - 2008-04-25 7:33 AM

If you like fish, I would recommend canned salmon. I have a fish expert in the family, who told me that the canned salmon has much lower (mercury) contamination than other fish choices. Salmon is an awesome source of protein and has natural antiinflammatory properties. To my knowledge, about 3 servings/week is highly recommended. Also a good choice is egg beaters (or egg whites) although that's not as easy to pack.

Yeah!  X2!!!

You could boil the eggs and remove the yolk when you eat them.

2008-04-25 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Thanks for the info on tire changing guys! I also feel better knowing that there is help available if something goes really wrong   I'm sure I'll have lots of fun questions after I go to the clinic and see how it's done. 

Do most people use a different tires on their trainer and on the road??  I don't really put that many minutes in on the trainer anyway, but if it's better to have a different tire I'll get one.  The trainer tire can probably be a cheapo huh?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 66