BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-01-05 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3257308

User image

New user
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL
Hi all!  Thank you Jen and Richard for sneaking me in at the last minute, I promise to be a good mentee!

NAME: Kristen

STORY: 24 years old originally from north Jersey, moved to Philadelphia to teach three years ago. Was always a chunky kid, and eventually lost 50lbs in college, 2006, but not really in a healthy way.  I was running that whole time but just on the treadmill, not racing.  Finally got my mind straight when a friend of mine asked me to relay for a triathlon and run it so I agreed, last minute they had to switch teams and I ended of riding instead.  Of course I fell in love with the sport and finished two other triathlons in 2009.  Added 10k and half marathon to the list for 2010 as well as 7 other sprints (I was busy this summer!)  Completed Philly Marathon in November and that's where I'm at now!

FAMILY STATUS:  Engaged! Tying the knot in a little over 4 months, May 14th is slowing coming up!!! Oh and a silly dog too.

CURRENT TRAINING: My New Years Resolution was to do more lifting and abs and that's what I've been working on, Run 3 days a week and bike/lift 3, then rest day.  My training plan will be starting soon for my half marathon in April so things will get shifted around a bit.  I definitely need to start swimming more also.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 
Runs:
Middle Earth 10k, Rutgers Unite half marathon, Run for Tony 5k, Bergenfield 5k Philadelphia Marathon

Tris:
Parvin sprint tri, philly women's sprint tri, marlton splash and dash, nj state sprint, birchwood sprint, medford lakes sprint,  Steelman olympic relay

2011 RACES: Rutgers Unite Half Marathon, Philly Women's sprint tri, NJ State Olympic, and Poconos HIM!!!!!  I'm sure I'll add smaller races in the future as time and schedule allows.

WEIGHTLOSS: As much as I was racing this past summer, I was eating just as much, and gained almost half the weight I had lost back.  With a wedding coming up and a dress to fit in too I realized training would not be enough.  I joined weight watchers in September and absolutely love it.  The accountability is really what works for me.  So far I've lost 16.4 pounds and have a goal of 24, so almost there!

WHY I WANT TO BE YOUR MENTEE: I love the partnership and helpfulness that comes from mentor groups.  I had a great experience with my last group and would like to give it a shot again!

Edited by Kristen8040 2011-01-05 2:22 PM

2011-01-05 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3280127

User image

New user

kpringle - 2011-01-05 2:08 PM Born in Albany, NY.
Lived in Norfolk, VA for a few years.
Moved back to Albany, NY and grew up there.
Moved to Boston after graduating college.
Been in the Boston area for 15 years now.

I had a good (for me) run on the treadmill today.  I ran 3.5 miles and felt really good.  Running has always been a challenge for me, but I'm actually starting to enjoy it.  Did I just say that?!

Good job on your run.  It's funny that you said that, because I'm beginning to wonder if I might be enjoying my swims...

Swam the same slow 500 today, but felt okay during and after.  I just keep telling myself, it's okay to take it slow.  Haven't found anyone to take lessons from yet, but I'm looking.  I did find a suit that I'm dying to order, just can't decide if I should buy more stuff in order to get the free shipping....

You all are very motivational.  Thanks for sharing your stories.
2011-01-05 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Welcome Kristen! Congratulations on your engagement - i think there are a few of us around here who recently were married or are engaged! 

Me, I live in Toronto which is a rather large city but I grew up in a small town about two hours from here - near to London, Ontario.  I went to university in another city, Hamilton, which is kind of in between the two but that's it. I've been in Toronto now for more than 7 years and even though I am city dweller, I am a small-town girl at heart.

And I know there are a number of us Canadians here - so you know we are enduring the winter! Brrrr
2011-01-05 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Great runs ladies!  I love when running comes together to that place where it feels good to be exerting yourself. It seems to be a fine edge but it can happen.

As for speedwork, I personally have used it many times for training but am of the opinion it should be used strategically and certainly is not something one needs to do at all times of the year.  For anyone (re)starting running or recovering you don't even need to think about it.When I started running, I pretty much always just ran and tried to keep it to where the effort was easy to medium feeling. I was building up my running specific muscles and base building.  It really wasn't until at least more than 6 months in that I attempted it with my training group, like DH said, for very short amount of time. 

The first step if you're trying to build beyond your base for running is hills. That builds running-specific strength.

That said, I have used it and know that it really helped me find some new speed. In the five years I've been running i've taken my half time from 2:20 to 1:50 and my 30k time from 3:17 to 2:43.  Some of those improvements were just the miles in my feet but those mile repeats can really teach the muscles handle more and build mental toughness to get through harder efforts.
2011-01-05 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Oh and I totally forgot about tempo work!

So, this is the running world according to Jen when it comes to building up running

1. Start with just running consistently - following a mileage build-up of a plan - no worry over pace and include one long run
2. Add hills - either run a route with consistent hills or do repeats - this builds run-specific strength
3. Add tempo - this effort is comfortably hard (think getting a sentence out but no more) for a shorter distance run (most books say you can aim for 20-30 minute blocks, I've used plans that did up to 16k, or 10 miles tempo)
4. Add intervals/speedwork - the final building block when you can do the rest.  Best if you have a plan specific to the distance you're training for and provides the workout. common examples 3x1 mile, 4x800m, etc etc.

That's enough of the running-world-according to me - you may have heard other things ...

2011-01-05 5:19 PM

User image

@Crisi i know i gotta get kicking on the crystal light! maybe it will seem more enticing if i call it cristal...who am i fooling.

@GoGoGo i hope you are ready for another buddy someday - lotsa dogs waiting for your love!

I'm in the charming city of Baltimore, where I've been running outside for the first time any winter. I know, that probably sounds pathetic given the group makeup but it's relative, just sayin.

I barely hit my water goal yesterday but I did succeed! Drank all of my water bottle I took to work today, woohoo. 40 oz down, 24 to go. Sigh.

PS thanks for bringing up speedwork yall. It isn't something I would have asked about but I appreciate the discussion  - nice to see where it should fall in order of importance too. 

2011-01-05 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3279682

User image

Expert
Canada
hooliemay - 2011-01-05 1:47 PM

The bike... my behind does NOT enjoy. My hubby assures me, it's just cause I'm not used to the seat and it will get better; kind of like how your feet may hurt when you start working long shifts on your feet but eventually you get used to it and they no longer hurt. I don't see how my butt is supposed to get used to it when it's hurts so much I can't even get back on that darned bike and sit again now w/o wincing in pain.
The run... felt good yesterday I could have kept going quite easily with my run/walk program but I thought I should just follow my learn to run program.  Perhaps I'm in better shape than I thought.

My goal is to simply finish my first triathlon.

You butt does get used to it.  Just a matter time.  Exercise bikes are sometimes the worst!  One thing you may change is the seat height.  Sometimes a little up or down makes a huge impact on your butt.

Innocent 
2011-01-05 5:43 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I was thinking more about speedwork and I think it is like a lot of things in training. There are techniques that high volume and consistent people use and talk about how it is great and will really up your game. And we all want to get there and do the cool workouts "because that is where the results are". And then we get a couple good weeks in, or a month, good volume, good consistency and we think we are ready for the big show. Now I am not sure, maybe you can get away with this swimming or on the bike, I never tried any of that when I was training, but you try to hit hard workouts too early and too often with running you will break your legs.

Oh, and for intervals, I use a Garmin. And I run an out and back course. So I do half my intervals and then turn around. If you are having trouble finishing them or walking during recovery, try doing an out and back. You will get it done.
2011-01-05 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3280304

User image

Expert
Canada
juniperjen - 2011-01-05 5:06 PM

So, this is the running world according to Jen when it comes to building up running

1. Start with just running consistently - following a mileage build-up of a plan - no worry over pace and include one long run
2. Add hills - either run a route with consistent hills or do repeats - this builds run-specific strength
3. Add tempo - this effort is comfortably hard (think getting a sentence out but no more) for a shorter distance run (most books say you can aim for 20-30 minute blocks, I've used plans that did up to 16k, or 10 miles tempo)
4. Add intervals/speedwork - the final building block when you can do the rest.  Best if you have a plan specific to the distance you're training for and provides the workout. common examples 3x1 mile, 4x800m, etc etc.

This is an excellent summary.  

As Jen says, most of the weekly runs should be easy to moderate pace.  Just run.  These are the most important & you are building running base.  Your ligaments are adjusting, you muscles are getting used to the task.

I think 1 long run per week is vital.  Not all runs should be long.  You should work up to the goal distance of your race.  These runs are usually slowish & you should be able to converse with you running partners.  I run these every Sunday with a group.  When your distances increase, company is very nice.  Also running anything beyond 6 miles on a dreadmill is brutal for me.  Hence all my long runs are outside.  This is the other reason that I run with a group Sunday morning.  I know whatever the weather they will be there.  This gets me out & "makes me do it".  Also, for new runners, Walk breaks in the long run are essential.  Many groups to 10:1 run/walk breaks.  You can run a marathon this way.  Using this method, you can run for a LONG time!!  Remember the idea of the long is endurance building.  Sprouting capillaries in you muscles.  It is not meant to be fast, just complete it.  If you are running a Half mary, the ultimate confidence builder is to run it as a training run, then you know you can do it!  You what that 10, 11, 12 mile felt like.  No surprises on race day!

Hill training is important if you are trunning a hilly course.  If have not run any & your goal race does...it will hurt.  Be prepared!  If you area & races are flat as a pancake, they are less important.  Hill training is another once per wek activity at most.  It builds leg stength more than any other running activity.  Some say it is speed work in disguise.  

Finally speedwork...This is probably the least important.  I think one of its most important benefits it getting you recognize where your aerobic capacity.  Where is the point that you will be not able to maintain this exertion for long.  If you do these workouts you will use this knowledge & prevent yourself from "coming out too fast "in a race. There are many versions of speedwork.  Some are only 1 minute.  Other half mile repeats.  Others 800's & even mile repeats.  These are all useful because the length of time required are different & you play eith your body to discern what you can maintain.  If you run your speedwork, you should be able ro recover quickly & go again.  If you can't, you need to slow down slightly.  The idea is to hopefully "string the sets together" over time.  Some even say speedwork should be done with negative splits, to ensure you maintain your "output"

So, How do I do it...Mostly 10k (This is because my desired race distances are between 5k & half mary, it would be less if you are training for a sprint) tempo or easy runs during week.  Depends on how I feel.  Sometimes I just want to go!  I do a long run every week.  My city is very hilly, so by necessity I run hills.  When I run with my running group we do specific hill training somtimes.  I don't do much speedwork.

Finally, remember most plans try & increase your weekly mileage by no more than 10% per week.  The Long run should be no more than 40% of you weekly total.  Every 4 weekish, I have a "fallback week" & then increase again.  You need these easy week to let your body adjust to the training load.  This is where the gains occur.

Some may disagree with some of these points but this is what I do & why I do it...

I miss running & it has only been a weekCry 

Disclaimer: I am not a coach.. take what you read with a grain of salt.  These are just my views... 

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-01-05 8:13 PM
2011-01-05 6:14 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Well I could not hack my sedentary life today & went to the gym.  My ortho forbid me from running yet, so I hopped on the exercise bike ( he did not mention thatWink)  Did 20 mins & stopped.  Then did some core (been a long tine & my abs told me in no uncertain terms!!)

Nevertheless, it felt good.  I am going to try & do the same thing tomorrow!!  Don't want to fall too far behind you folks!!

2011-01-05 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3280035

User image

Pro
Houston
debbiereid06 - 2011-01-05 1:42 PM I currently live and have lived in St. Louis all of my life. 

I moved to St. Louis in 1987 to go to college, went to Fontbonne.  Got married and built a house in O'Fallon.  Both boys were born in St. Louis. 
I have ZERO desire to live in a place that has a real winter but I just might consider moving back to St. Louis, I really miss it. 

2011-01-05 7:14 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Since we are talking a lot about running today and GoGoGo asked about my 'new technique' in an inspire I thought I would share.  At the beginning of this season I had a one on one running session with my coach.  When he was going through his USAT certification they talked a lot about running technique.  The idea is to lean forward to propell yourself.  You lean until you have to take a step forward to catch yourself from falling over.  The other part is keeping your hands high (around your armpits) and close to your body so you aren't wasting energy swinging your arms.

My coach filmed me and took still pics with his camera and the immediate changes were surprising.  It is harder cardio wise to run with the new technique but it is easier to go faster if that makes sense.  The plan is to run using only the new technique and not go back to my old habits and hope to increase my speed in all runs.

Speed work scares the crap out of me and is not easy or fun or any other positive adjective.
I have issues.  LOL  When in HS our soccer coach made us run field sprints, during a full on sprint my knee dislocated and I hit the ground chest first, hard. 

It is much easier for me to go all out in the water than it is on land.  I know that sounds weird but I am much more comfortable going all out and then settling into a regular pace swimming than I am running.  Once I go all out running I really want to stop (ask for CPR) and have a hard time finding another pace. 

With the new technique I am getting comfortable going faster.  Not fast but faster for me.  Hoping the next few weeks go well and then I will do a 5K and hope for a new PR.
2011-01-05 7:22 PM
in reply to: #3280825

User image

Expert
Canada
KeriKadi - 2011-01-05 9:14 PM S
Speed work scares the crap out of me and is not easy or fun or any other positive adjective.
I have issues.  LOL  When in HS our soccer coach made us run field sprints, during a full on sprint my knee dislocated and I hit the ground chest first, hard. 

OUCH!!!Yell  

Will be very interested in a further report on this technique, in the future.  Interesting stuff!! 

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-01-05 7:22 PM
2011-01-05 7:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Got my run in tonight...much better 3 miler.  Did the full 3 miles in my Newton's (I got a used pair on ebay for $19 and have been trying them out).  They felt good...a little sore in the calf, but that's to be expected.   

@Debbie - a tempo run is usually 3-6 miles at about 10K pace.  After warming up, you do 10-15 mins of easy running, then speed up to 10k pace for however long you plan to run, then run easy for 5-10 mins before cooling down.   I also added you as a friend on FB!!! 

@kpringle - Good job on the run...I swear running is a strange addiction...it creeps up on you and then you HAVE to have it!!!

@Kristen - Welcome!!!  I'm with you on the eating as much as I'm training.  I have lost any weight in about 9 months...I still have the same 30lbs to lose!!!!

@JosieO- Good swim...You'll get there!!!!

@hooliemay - I PROMISE your butt will get used to the seat!! However, if it doesn't, you might need a new saddle...it took me a couple of tries to find one I loved.  Also, when it comes to saddles...believer it or not...the more cushioned DOES NOT equal the most comfortable!!!

@Keri - That sounds like the Chi Running method.  I've read the book and have tried to implement it, but it's tough to figure it out from a book!!!!  I am trying Newton's which helps keep the proper form...we'll see how they work out!!

@Lindsay - You're not the only one...I refuse to run outside if it's below 40 and this is the first winter I've even done that!!  I hate the cold and can't stand to run it!!!

@Jen, GoGoGo, and DH - good info on running!!  Thanks!

Hopefully I didn't miss anyone!!!  I hope everyone is having a great day!!! 
2011-01-05 7:52 PM
in reply to: #3280868

User image

Expert
Canada
crisi13 - 2011-01-05 9:45 PM Got my run in tonight...much better 3 miler.  Did the full 3 miles in my Newton's (I got a used pair on ebay for $19 and have been trying them out).  They felt good...a little sore in the calf, but that's to be expected.   

Are your feet sore tonite? Any aches where you never had aches?  

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-01-05 7:52 PM
2011-01-05 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
No, my feet actually feel better than they have in a while!!  I've had some nasty toe issues here lately!  My calf is a little tender, but overall it was one of the "easiest" runs I've had on the treadmill!  I HATE the treadmill!!!!  I think if it'd been outside, I would feel GREAT!!!

2011-01-05 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3280902

User image

Expert
Canada
crisi13 - 2011-01-05 10:02 PM    I've had some nasty toe issues here lately!  

Well, you've got 5 months before sandal season!!

My female runner friends tell me that a toenail-bed can be painted & you'd never noticeWink 

Sacrifices!!

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-01-05 8:09 PM
2011-01-05 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3280804

User image

Virginia Beach -- Rudee Inlet
KeriKadi - 2011-01-05 7:04 PM
debbiereid06 - 2011-01-05 1:42 PM I currently live and have lived in St. Louis all of my life. 

I moved to St. Louis in 1987 to go to college, went to Fontbonne.  Got married and built a house in O'Fallon.  Both boys were born in St. Louis. 
I have ZERO desire to live in a place that has a real winter but I just might consider moving back to St. Louis, I really miss it. 

See, I knew we would get along.  I was born in Alton, IL just across the river, lived in Edwardsville, IL most of my childhood, my best friend from college's home town is O'Fallon, and I am a DIE HARD STL CARDS FAN.....you are right though.  The winters are brutal.

2011-01-05 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3280985

User image

Pro
Houston
THE best part of going to college in St. Louis..... The complimentary room at the BREWERY!!!!  Yes, you can go on the FREE brewery tour and end up in the complimentary beer room and hang out there ALL day!  At least you could in 87-90!  Oh and they don't card.  One of my friends Mom worked at the brewery and in the gold ole days when you went to pick up your paycheck on Friday you also got a case of beer.  We drank pretty well for poor college kids!  Of course when we were desperate there was always The Beast which we could generally pick up on sale for under $6/case!

Ahhhh the good old days!

Oh and I have a child named after a St. Louis Blues player, well, former player but still counts because he was still playing in St. Louis at the time of the birth.

LOVE Cardinal games!

I worked in hotels and we did what we called 'horse trading' with Alton and Edwardsville town newspapers - we swapped advertising for free rooms!

Edited by KeriKadi 2011-01-05 8:49 PM
2011-01-05 8:58 PM

User image

Virginia Beach -- Rudee Inlet
Hey, gang.

I GOT OFF MY BUTT!!! HURRAY.  I managed to get a run in tonight, did some aerobics, and some goofy ab work on the WII-FIT balance board w/the hula hoop. (I warned you all I don't take myself too seriously. I am hereby a "CALORIE INCINERATOR".)  The latter is actually harder than it sounds.  I will be burning tomorrow.  

I have been fighting a brutal sinus infection, and although it is killing me, I have made a decision to avoid the pool until it is corrected.  I would get in salt water no problem if it was warm, but the chlorine pool really aggravates my sinuses even on a healthy day, so...I am being inventive until then.     

I have been reading everyones fabulous discussions on speed work.  Having followed a BT rule I read last year for avoiding injury, I confined myself to work on endurance only for the first year.     I have never done speed training of any kind, but my "first year" is over and you are inspiring me to try. 

QUESTION:  When does it make sense to start speed work?  Concurrently as one is increasing mileage, or after one has attained a "goal distance" and then would like to get faster?  Please advise.
2011-01-06 6:37 AM
in reply to: #3281038

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
nvandyke - 2011-01-05 9:58 PM Hey, gang.

I GOT OFF MY BUTT!!! HURRAY.  I managed to get a run in tonight, did some aerobics, and some goofy ab work on the WII-FIT balance board w/the hula hoop. (I warned you all I don't take myself too seriously. I am hereby a "CALORIE INCINERATOR".)  The latter is actually harder than it sounds.  I will be burning tomorrow.  

I have been fighting a brutal sinus infection, and although it is killing me, I have made a decision to avoid the pool until it is corrected.  I would get in salt water no problem if it was warm, but the chlorine pool really aggravates my sinuses even on a healthy day, so...I am being inventive until then.     

I have been reading everyones fabulous discussions on speed work.  Having followed a BT rule I read last year for avoiding injury, I confined myself to work on endurance only for the first year.     I have never done speed training of any kind, but my "first year" is over and you are inspiring me to try. 

QUESTION:  When does it make sense to start speed work?  Concurrently as one is increasing mileage, or after one has attained a "goal distance" and then would like to get faster?  Please advise.

I'v done speed work as part of my training plans for specific races.  Funny enough, it must be a training principle but the plans i've used will incorporate one day of intervals in the last 4-6 weeks of the plan before the taper.  So, that means that you've made it through the build up of mileage injury-free and it's the icing to get your speed up. 

I've also done an agressive plan that incorporates speedwork each week (once a week) but they advise and give paces that are strictly based on your current fitness - which means not training for a pace you want but one you can in fact attain.  Which is a whole other discussion.

But again, I think tempo is a great place to start before doing any speed work - which is just picking up the pace once a week for a steady block of time (think 20 minutes) where it's 'comfortably hard'.  I this helped me drop my marathon time one season. Each week we would do 6k (4 miles) of tempo once a week and just pushing harder on that run really helped!  

2011-01-06 8:01 AM

User image

Upstate NY
Had someone to run with this morning so we ran a few miles outside, NICE!

Doing a group trainer ride at my place on Saturday, excited to see how that goes.  A couple of hours on the trainer can get really boring and I need others around :-
2011-01-06 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Totally loving all of the St. Louis (or close to) connections!  I have yet to run outside this winter.  I HATE the cold weather and refuse to run in weather under 45 degrees.  Maybe someday I will try it, but not right now.  And my husband thinks we will end up in Chicago some day....I don't think so!!!

Got up this morning for a short, and I mean short, run (1.5) and thought I was going to die.  Don't know what is up with that but it was terrible.  I don't know if it is this stupid sinus infection or that it was 5:15 am or that I didn't drink enough water or what, but i was sluggish and couldn't breathe and it was just bad. 
I ran Tuesday after work at the gym and felt great!  Was running a 11:00 min/mile and this morning it was all I could do to push 13:45 min/mile.  Hopefully Sunday for my long run I will be better
2011-01-06 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Update on the week:

M: Bike, Swim, optional: yoga
T: Yoga, Run,
W: Swim, bike
T: Run, swim
F: off - travel
S: long run
S: likely off

So, I am down a swim but feeling good. I think I should have no problem getting in the swim after work tonight.

How are your weeks going?

Also, I will be gone for the weekend and it's unlikely that i'll have much access to the web - can I rely on you keep chatting and inspiring one another?
2011-01-06 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3281598

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
debbiereid06 - 2011-01-06 9:23 AM Totally loving all of the St. Louis (or close to) connections!  I have yet to run outside this winter.  I HATE the cold weather and refuse to run in weather under 45 degrees.  Maybe someday I will try it, but not right now.  And my husband thinks we will end up in Chicago some day....I don't think so!!!

Got up this morning for a short, and I mean short, run (1.5) and thought I was going to die.  Don't know what is up with that but it was terrible.  I don't know if it is this stupid sinus infection or that it was 5:15 am or that I didn't drink enough water or what, but i was sluggish and couldn't breathe and it was just bad. 
I ran Tuesday after work at the gym and felt great!  Was running a 11:00 min/mile and this morning it was all I could do to push 13:45 min/mile.  Hopefully Sunday for my long run I will be better

ooh ooh! Mine is tenuous - I have an aunt and uncle that live in St. Charles but I've only been once! :D
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 35