BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 65

2011-04-14 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3435035

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED

Pacing.

Swim.  I haven't done a TT yet this year.  I am thinking my HIM pace will be around 1:45 to 1:50.  I will have to go out conservatively (I have a habit of gassing myself in the swim) and build up speed.  If I am breathing every three strokes, I am not going quite fast enough.  Breathing mostly every stroke (in a race only) switching sides occasionally or as conditions dictate, tends to give me a decent race pace.  Does anyone else breathing for RPE?  I kind of just made that up as I have zero competitive swimming experience.

Bike.  I really love the idea of power, I appreciate what an awesome tool it is.  But I tend to jump in with both feet on everything (I alluded to this in my bio about being happy I waited to pull the IM trigger).  DH and I want to learn how to use power, but for this year, we are limited by our scope to handle so many new things, so we agreed to put it off a year or two.  Heck, I haven't even figured out bike bottles or clip on aerobars for DH or a saddle for my TT bike...I have no business trying to figure out power too!  So this year we are training with HR on the bike and the run.  We just started and have mainly stayed in Z2 for base training, but we have both discovered that our RPE coincides pretty well with HR.  I think I will use RPE with  a HR crosscheck to keep myself honest on the bike.  I know it is not foolproof and I have to take wind/hills/etc into account to a certain extent, but I am hoping it will give me a sanity check on my bike pace.  

Even though I have not done anything longer than an Oly, even on short course events, I have occasionally had trouble accessing my run fitness, so I intellectually I can appreciate the damage you can do on a much longer bike segment.  I would like to arrive at the 1/2 marathon in Racine ready to put together a decent run.  

Q

2011-04-14 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3446121

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Fred - I think your coach is right on. For a 1000 TT, mentally I am thinking about negative splitting it, even though in reality I am likely not. I would start out at a pace I would perceive to be slower than my 1000 TT pace (actually it is likely faster than my 1000 TT pace for the first 100-200), at the 200 pick it up a little and hold this comfortably hard pace until the five hundred. At the mid point I push to an uncomfortably hard pace and then the last 150 I start to really pick it up. My form may start to go a little in that last 150 but I expect it.

Back when I actually swam (), I would execute them pretty close to how Dan describes.  My goal was to negative split, but I was almost always a few seconds faster in the first 100-200.  If I could hold a steady pace (which would 'feel' increasingly difficult) from 300-1000, then I felt I made a good effort.

As far as pacing in races, I did NOT use my 1000TT.  I used that to get a guage of swim progress and to set targets for swim workouts.  I would do a few long, steady swims in the pool at HIM or IM race effort.  In a reasonably measured course, I expect to be perhaps :05/100 faster due to the wetsuit.  That's probably about :05/100 slower than my 1000TT pace.  But since swim course can be so far off from accurate, I try not to think about anything excpet for how I feel each stroke in a race.  I've swam "1.2 miles" in under 30min and over 40min.  I can assure you that my actual pace was not that much different. 

2011-04-14 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3446365

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
JohnnyKay - 2011-04-14 9:58 AM
chasingkona - 2011-04-14 10:15 AM

Run is my weakness period. Generally I run about 20 miles a week in training and about 15 in my base. Long runs is where it gets hard for me, and last year I didn't have too many of those. My long runs in the spring last year were weekly around 6-10 miles, but once June started I didn't have many until August (After both HIM's). This year I am planning on doing 10-12 miles for my long runs in leading up to Racine. Would/should I need to go further then  13.1?

You are doing an awesome job with your swimming--getting more swims, swimming longer, harder, etc.  I think you would benefit by taking the same kind of approach to your running.  It's not the long runs that I'd focus on (though you should do more of those, as well), but just frequency and weekly mileage.  If you can, try to gradually edge that 15-20mpw towards 30mpw.  That should have you running 8-10mi long runs on a consistent basis and pushing out to 12-15 for a training block or two will not be a big deal.  Right now, any run in the 10mi area is going to be pretty stressful on you--let alone 13.1 after 1.2/56.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you do nothing else different but that (no speed work or even tempo running), you will get faster in races.  Especially as you look beyond this season.

This is good to hear and I angree about the long runs since they constitute at least 25% of my weekly mileage every week and that seems to be too high of a percentage. This year I have been doing many 3-5 mile runs at an easy pace 8:30ish to build my base. I have done up to 10 miles and nothing has killed me, but my legs are not as receptive the day after. I do not enjoy speedwork but can handle bricks and tempo runs, and when I'm strong long runs. So as I start my specific training should I just do easy runs, bricks, and tempo, and gradually build my long run up? And what pace should I run at tempo for if I do?

With this said Racine is about 15 weeks away so what can I do to lead to a successful run? Will this be enough time to get the fitness I need to run a 1:50 off the bike?

2011-04-14 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3446376

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
JohnnyKay - 2011-04-14 11:04 AM
GoFaster - 2011-04-14 10:51 AM
kaburns1214 - 2011-04-14 6:37 AM

2. I have a Quark, but I train solely based on HR (but I record watts for my coach -- just like in the run, I train based solely on HR but record paces for my coach).  I have no watts targets when training (I also have no idea what my FTP is) but I race according to power.  Based on my training watts, my coach sets a watts target for races.  For a HIM my watts targets are generally about what I put out for 20 Min intervals.  For a full IM the watts target is slightly less. 

Why do you not use the PM for training and rely on HR, but you use the PM for racing?  And I'm assuming the 20min intervals are not at a very high exertion considering this are at your HIM pace.  Just trying to understand since I don't believe I've seen anyone using this approach before.

She's using it only to provide info for her coach who is apparently 'reverse engineering' power zones from her training HRs.  Her coach appears to be assuming that HR efforts in training will be a good guage of stress, on average.  But that power will be a better measure on any single day (eg, HR could fluctuate simply due to 'race' excitement).  Unconventional, for sure.  She'll have to see how it works out.

Exactly.  HR is a good gauge of stress on the body overall so its used for day to day training.  I have pretty high volume (900 hour/year), which works out right now to about 20-22 hours during non-rest weeks so its important not to over stress my body. Using HR prevents that. 

My coach then reverse engineers power zones for the race as preventing too much stress on the body is not an issue.  I generally know what my power ranges will be for any given HR, I just don't train by them (just like I know generally what my run paces are for any given zone).

2011-04-14 11:46 AM

User image

We must have a lot of east coast flavor in this group...because when I wake up at 6am Hawaii time, I've got 2 pages to catch up on...LOL.

SWIM TT:  Haven't done a 500 or 1000 in the pool, but recently I've been doing a 2000m OWS on Fridays.  It's in a lagoon type area with pole markers.  Swim out 1000m to a pole, turn around, swim back.  Been doing that in the 39:30-40:30 range...or roughly 1:50 per 100 yards.  I wouldn't consider it a TT though...because I'm not going all out.  More less just trying to keep good form for a race distance.  Swimming is not my strength (only learned to swim about 18 months ago) and when I try to push hard, my form goes to crap...so I actually end up swimming slower when going hard.  My goal for swims during races is to just go my pace and latch on to as many feet as possible.  My race doesn't really start till I get out of the water.

BIKE PACING:  I use power on all my rides, but as mentioned before, I am currently planning on not using power for my HIM in favor of race wheels.  I also use HR, and my feel for RPE is not bad IMO.  Lots of times I can be riding at a steady effort, guess what wattage I'm riding at, look down, and I'm pretty close. 

2011-04-14 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3446499

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
chasingkona - 2011-04-14 11:46 AM

This is good to hear and I angree about the long runs since they constitute at least 25% of my weekly mileage every week and that seems to be too high of a percentage. This year I have been doing many 3-5 mile runs at an easy pace 8:30ish to build my base. I have done up to 10 miles and nothing has killed me, but my legs are not as receptive the day after. I do not enjoy speedwork but can handle bricks and tempo runs, and when I'm strong long runs. So as I start my specific training should I just do easy runs, bricks, and tempo, and gradually build my long run up? And what pace should I run at tempo for if I do?

With this said Racine is about 15 weeks away so what can I do to lead to a successful run? Will this be enough time to get the fitness I need to run a 1:50 off the bike?

I'll answer the last question first.  I have no idea!

Hopefully the rest of my answer attempts will expalin that one better.

So as I start my specific training should I just do easy runs, bricks, and tempo, and gradually build my long run up?

My recommendation would be to do mostly 'easy' running.  Easy can actually be a range of paces depending on how you feel each day, what your training has been prior to that run, and what your trianing is coming up.  You can certainly do some bricks, especially if that helps you add some frequency (ie, don't drop a stand-alone run and replace it with a brick run--do the stand-alone run and add a short, easy run off the bike).  If you are able, I would add more runs first and add to the distance of longer runs later as you get closer to your race.

And what pace should I run at tempo for if I do?

If you are adding the frequency and volume from above, I would suggest you do very little tempo this time.  If you do some, aim for something that's near open-marathon pacing (ie, the pace you'd hope to be able to run in the HIM) or perhaps slightly faster.  Probably better would be to just choose one day a week to add a few strides at the end of a short, easy run.  That should be enough to make you 'remember' how to run faster and also can be useful as a drill for improving running form (many people's form tends to improve when they run faster).

If you were already running near 30mpw (or, alternatively, if 15-20mpw is the most you are able/willing to commit to running for the long-term), then I'd suggest a weekly tempo run along with the strides would be a good idea.  And 'tempo' in that case could take you down to 10k paces.  But those runs are fairly stressful as well.  Generally, moreso than long runs.

With this said Racine is about 15 weeks away so what can I do to lead to a successful run?

Here's the thing.  15 weeks is actually relatively little time to make major improvements in your running.  Everyone is different and it matters a lot how close to your 'potential' you already are (the further away, the more you can accomplish over short time periods).  But building your running durability (through frequency and volume) are probably your best run-specific things you can do.  The swimming & biking, pacing & nutrition that we've been discussing are the other non-run-specific things that can actually lead to better tri running.

Will this be enough time to get the fitness I need to run a 1:50 off the bike?

So now we're back to the last question.  I suggest that you will have a pretty good idea how feasibile this is by the time you get to your taper.  You'll have done all the swimming, biking and running that you could to impact your fitness.  Whether that will be good enough to yield your goal time depends on many individual factors.  But the more you are able to do in training (while recovering adequately), the closer you will get.  And, if you don't reach that goal this time, you will be set up to get even closer in the future.

Hope that helps some.

2011-04-14 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3446647

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
tri808 - 2011-04-14 12:46 PM

My race doesn't really start till I get out of the water.

I think that is an excellent way to think about the swim during the race.  However, during training I think you should absolutely envision the race starting in the swim.  For all the reasons we've touched on so far--mostly that how you get out of the swim sets up the rest of your day.  Swim as hard as you can, as much as you can in training so that on race day the swim is just a nice warm-up.

Most people can actually extend this to the bike and first part of the run.  Many people make it to the half-way point of the HIM run or mile 10-18 of the IM marathon having a 'good' day.  That's when the wheels come off for many.  That's when the race should begin in your head.  You need enough in reserve--physically and mentally--to not slow down at that stage.  (I realize this may not be entirely applicable to those actually 'racing' for placing in their AG or looking to KQ, etc.  They may be willing to take more chances, as Dan did at Eagleman, to have that truly break-through race or to walk home knowing they at least gave it a shot.)

2011-04-14 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3446674

User image

JohnnyKay - 2011-04-14 6:59 AM

I think that is an excellent way to think about the swim during the race.  However, during training I think you should absolutely envision the race starting in the swim.  For all the reasons we've touched on so far--mostly that how you get out of the swim sets up the rest of your day.  Swim as hard as you can, as much as you can in training so that on race day the swim is just a nice warm-up.

Most people can actually extend this to the bike and first part of the run.  Many people make it to the half-way point of the HIM run or mile 10-18 of the IM marathon having a 'good' day.  That's when the wheels come off for many.  That's when the race should begin in your head.  You need enough in reserve--physically and mentally--to not slow down at that stage.  (I realize this may not be entirely applicable to those actually 'racing' for placing in their AG or looking to KQ, etc.  They may be willing to take more chances, as Dan did at Eagleman, to have that truly break-through race or to walk home knowing they at least gave it a shot.)

Totally agree.  I've noticed my biggest swimming gains when I was doing 50 and 100 yard intervals in the pool.  Basically beating the crap out of myself, but keeping the intervals short enough where my form doesn't deteriorate too much.  That in turn has made my longer distance swimming faster...at an easier effort.  Might have to start going back to those intervals.  Honestly...I dread swimming intervals more than anything.  I rather puke on my bike.

2011-04-14 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3446698

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

tri808 - 2011-04-14 1:11 PM

Honestly...I dread swimming intervals more than anything. 

I generally find that the things I dread are the best for me in the long-run. 

2011-04-14 12:34 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-14 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3446715

2011-04-14 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3446698

Master
Reston, VA

JohnnyKay - 2011-04-14 6:59 AM

Totally agree.  I've noticed my biggest swimming gains when I was doing 50 and 100 yard intervals in the pool.  Basically beating the crap out of myself, but keeping the intervals short enough where my form doesn't deteriorate too much.  That in turn has made my longer distance swimming faster...at an easier effort.  Might have to start going back to those intervals.  Honestly...I dread swimming intervals more than anything.  I rather puke on my bike.

Swimming hard like that is one of the most important things a triathlete can do to become a better swimmer. Intervals and/or swimming with people that are a bit faster and trying to hang on their feet are generally the hardest workouts I have.
2011-04-14 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3446764

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-14 1:37 PM
JohnnyKay - 2011-04-14 1:17 PM

Honestly...I dread swimming intervals more than anything. 

I generally find that the things I dread are the best for me in the long-run. 

For instance swimming?

The funny thing is I really don't dread swimming at all.  (Although, perhaps I should dread getting slower more than I have! )  Just grown too complacent about letting it be the discipline that 'slides' over the past year or so (partly for good reasons or, at least, accepted 'choice' on my part).  When I started tris, I swam more than most people and many thought I was crazy for doing so.  I just need to get back to being 'crazy'. 

2011-04-14 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3446768

Elite
Ontario

docswim24 - 2011-04-14 1:38 PM Swimming hard like that is one of the most important things a triathlete can do to become a better swimmer. Intervals and/or swimming with people that are a bit faster and trying to hang on their feet are generally the hardest workouts I have.

What are the suggested paces people should be doing 50-100 intervals at in comparison to 1000yd TT time?  I know that my avg pace for the TT is 1:39, I'm just never too sure how close to that time I should swim for shorter sets.  (I'm sure we touched on this in the last group, but have completely forgotten).

2011-04-14 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3446826

Master
Reston, VA
GoFaster - 2011-04-14 2:02 PM

docswim24 - 2011-04-14 1:38 PM Swimming hard like that is one of the most important things a triathlete can do to become a better swimmer. Intervals and/or swimming with people that are a bit faster and trying to hang on their feet are generally the hardest workouts I have.

What are the suggested paces people should be doing 50-100 intervals at in comparison to 1000yd TT time?  I know that my avg pace for the TT is 1:39, I'm just never too sure how close to that time I should swim for shorter sets.  (I'm sure we touched on this in the last group, but have completely forgotten).

A few sets I would try at a TT pace of 1:39/100

10x100@1:50, hold at TT pace

or

4x300 @ 5:25, hold at TT pace

or one of my favorite:
1x100 @ 2:15, 1x100 @ 2:10, etc dropping 5 seconds per hundred until you cannot hold it anymore. Good - you make the 1:40, Very good - you make the 1:35, WOW! - you make the 1:30.

2011-04-14 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3446914

docswim24 - 2011-04-14 8:28 AM A few sets I would try at a TT pace of 1:39/100 10x100@1:50, hold at TT pace or 4x300 @ 5:25, hold at TT pace or one of my favorite: 1x100 @ 2:15, 1x100 @ 2:10, etc dropping 5 seconds per hundred until you cannot hold it anymore. Good - you make the 1:40, Very good - you make the 1:35, WOW! - you make the 1:30.

Dan...I'm not sure what my 1000y TT pace is, but I know the last time I did 10x100, I was going on 2:00, but holding about 1:34-1:36.  Should I slow this down to maybe 1:40 and go on shorter rest like you suggested Neil @ 1:50?  Although I'm not quite sure I can hold 1:39 for 1000y.  If I had to guess, I would say I'm more like 1:47 pace for 1000.  Meaning my endurance is likely much weaker than Neil's.

I guess my question simply is if intervals should be done at harder pace, longer rest (25 seconds), or slightly easier pace and shorter rest (10 seconds) if the goal is to improve your 1.5k or 1.2 mile swim.

2011-04-14 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3446826

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Dan's suggestions are good ones.  Especially that last one--ouch!

It really depends how many reps you are doing and how much rest you give yourself between reps.  I tend to do a lot of the same workouts over time.  I shoot for the best average pace I can get for a particular interval series and then try to meet or, hopefully over time, beat that average the next time out.  I also aim to not have a lot of variation between the fastest and slowest rep in an individual workout.

One workout that I like is 150s on 15" of rest.  The first 100 is hard and the last 50 is easy.  When I am 'on', the 100s are consistently :05 or more below T-pace for about 10-12 reps.  'On', of course, is relative to me, not Dan. 

2011-04-14 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3446953

Master
Reston, VA
tri808 - 2011-04-14 2:44 PM

docswim24 - 2011-04-14 8:28 AM A few sets I would try at a TT pace of 1:39/100 10x100@1:50, hold at TT pace or 4x300 @ 5:25, hold at TT pace or one of my favorite: 1x100 @ 2:15, 1x100 @ 2:10, etc dropping 5 seconds per hundred until you cannot hold it anymore. Good - you make the 1:40, Very good - you make the 1:35, WOW! - you make the 1:30.

Dan...I'm not sure what my 1000y TT pace is, but I know the last time I did 10x100, I was going on 2:00, but holding about 1:34-1:36.  Should I slow this down to maybe 1:40 and go on shorter rest like you suggested Neil @ 1:50?  Although I'm not quite sure I can hold 1:39 for 1000y.  If I had to guess, I would say I'm more like 1:47 pace for 1000.  Meaning my endurance is likely much weaker than Neil's.

I guess my question simply is if intervals should be done at harder pace, longer rest (25 seconds), or slightly easier pace and shorter rest (10 seconds) if the goal is to improve your 1.5k or 1.2 mile swim.

I find the sweet spot on rest/still working very hard is something like this:

100's: 10-15 seconds rest
200's: 20 seconds rest
300's and up: 25-30 seconds rest

My guess is that your TT is a little faster than 1:47 and/or you have the ability based on your 100 times of 1:34-1:36 to quickly get your TT time faster than 1:47/100. I would shoot for doing 100's @ 1:55 first time out and if that is too easy drop it to 1:50. Not that 1:55 will feel easy but if you can do it and get 15 or seconds or more rest consistently after every 100, drop it down to 1:50 and see if you can make it.
2011-04-14 2:33 PM

2011-04-14 2:51 PM

2011-04-14 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3447107

Master
Reston, VA
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-14 3:33 PM

Some great swim advice here!

One workout I seem to get from my coach a lot is to speed up the end of a given set.

ie; 5x200 with the first 150 at a moderate pace, then the last 50 much faster. Then rest :20-:30.

I've also done a lot of this:
500 steady at 1:30 pace
Then 5x100 at 1:20 pace

400 steady at 1:30 pace
Then 4x100 at 1:20 pace

aand so on until I hit 100.

I like that set - how much rest after the 500 steady and each of the 100's?

2011-04-14 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3447152

Master
Reston, VA
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-14 3:51 PM

So I think from a swim perspective I could summarize a few things and then others can correct if needed:

1. Triathletes need to swim more than they think they do.
2. Doing a 500 or 800 or 1,000 yard TT is a good idea. To me it helps determine other swim paces in training but also gives me an idea of what I can sustain in a race. Not the exact pace so to speak, but rather the effort.
3. Triathletes would benefit by doing some harder interval sets.

I do agree the ROI on swimming is lower than biking or running, but it just can't be ignored imho. I would say I am averaging 3 swims a week with some weeks 2.

I like swimming more when I'm doing it at least 3x per week. When I was doing it once per week it simply isn't very much fun.

Good summary.

For me I see a big ROI going from 2 to 3 swims per week and less ROI going from 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 swims per week. If I can swim 2x1 hour and 1x1.5 hour per week I am generally swimming very close to my best.
2011-04-14 2:57 PM

2011-04-14 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3446914

Bronze member
docswim24 - 2011-04-14 1:28 PM

A few sets I would try at a TT pace of 1:39/100 10x100@1:50, hold at TT pace or 4x300 @ 5:25, hold at TT pace or one of my favorite: 1x100 @ 2:15, 1x100 @ 2:10, etc dropping 5 seconds per hundred until you cannot hold it anymore. Good - you make the 1:40, Very good - you make the 1:35, WOW! - you make the 1:30.

My last swim for fitness instructor used to torture us with this workout. I might have to resurrect that one again soon. I totally agree about swimming with people who are a bit faster. I have a hard time challenging myself to hit times when I'm alone in the pool.

2011-04-14 3:07 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 65