BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2013-02-14 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4622443

User image

Baton Rouge
Subject: RE: Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open
HelmoAlkou - 2013-02-14 12:55 PM
tygr_tri - 2013-02-14 10:32 AM

My last 2 swim sessions have both been WINS!! I'm 7 lessons in and it's starting to click a bit more.  Still having problems taking in enough air, but I figure the more I'm in the water the easier that will become. I was able to put together 8 real laps with 5-10 seconds rest between turns and boy that was hard but I did it!!! The tri I'm eyeing in April is a 350m pool swim/12mi bike/2mi run and the idea of swimming 350m is becoming less daunting. Even though the actual swimming part was a win, I may have gone too hard in the water because I left w/a headache and a nauseated feeling. Not sure if it was over exertion or maybe motion sickness?? This was the 1st time that's ever happened after a swim.

At some point, I'm also going to have to switch to an actual tri based training plan since the one I'm doing now was to get me to the duathlon race and not the April tri race.  I wasn't sold on the tri when I started but now that I am, I need a more balanced plan to follow.

Congrats on the swim success, Angie!  There's nothing like having someone (coach) watch you swim.  That's my background, swimming.  I competed state wide up into my mid 30's.  Getting to state was fairly easy.  At state they grouped all the adult men together which meant I had to deal with the 25 year old collegiate guys before they went and got married, kids, and 10 years of the work force under their belts.

Back on topic, when I started triathlon I noticed this nausea feeling, for the first time in my life, after about 800 yards.  It got so bad that when it hit, I was DONE.  I logged about 65 miles of swimming last year which isn't much for a competing swimmer but a lot more then my previous 10 years combined.  I continued to go a little father week after week until it was the 1500 - 1800 yard mark but it always hit me.

Swim nausea - just like there's many causes, there's more than one fix.  And they're not related, so I'll just list them.  It only takes a search on the Internet to see all the opinions.

Possible Causes: water temp, salt water, vertigo, what you've eaten, what you haven't eaten, open water swim (ows), standard motion sickness, swimming on the line, swimming off the line, etc., etc., etc.  (It is proven that more people get nauseated after swimming in cold or cooler water, especially during ows.)

Fixes: The cheapest and fastest fix to try is ear plugs.  Secondly, I recommend (because I use them almost every time I hit the water) the Nei-kuan acupressure point wrist bands.  You can just google it and get more than enough information.  There's boat loads of them on Amazon from $10-$20.  If that still doesn't do the trick, go down to your local health food store and ask for natural motion sickness pills.  I take Hyland's Motion Sickness pills, under $6.00 a bottle, when I'm doing the longer swims and just before a triathlon because they work!!  I just hate popping a pill 3-4 times a week for training.

I wrote this because: I did a short 500y swim Tuesday of this week for the first time in two months.  It felt great until 425-450 yards and I was forced to stop!  I was wearing my wrist bands but afterwards I realized they weren't in the correct location.  I get the feeling it's going to be a long year of not only building swim speed/endurance but building nausea resistance.

I hope this helps.

Yea, I wasn't used to the nausea feeling at all and I just figured maybe I hadn't had enough food or water prior to the workout since I didn't eat all the small meals I normally do so that may have done it, but then I thought, well it was the 1st time we've put together 'laps' like that and I just pushed myself too hard.  I never got dizzy which is good.  I'm going to get ear plugs on my way to the pool this evening and see if that helps.  Do you know if Walgreens or Rite Aide sells them? (I will google this as well, but am unsure of the 'right' type)

Thanks!

2013-02-14 2:37 PM
in reply to: #4622153

tygr_tri - 2013-02-14 8:32 AM

My last 2 swim sessions have both been WINS!! I'm 7 lessons in and it's starting to click a bit more.  Still having problems taking in enough air, but I figure the more I'm in the water the easier that will become. I was able to put together 8 real laps with 5-10 seconds rest between turns and boy that was hard but I did it!!! The tri I'm eyeing in April is a 350m pool swim/12mi bike/2mi run and the idea of swimming 350m is becoming less daunting. Even though the actual swimming part was a win, I may have gone too hard in the water because I left w/a headache and a nauseated feeling. Not sure if it was over exertion or maybe motion sickness?? This was the 1st time that's ever happened after a swim.

Congrats on the swimming! In terms of feeling nauseous after swims, I can relate as well! I don't always feel sick after swimming, but I did note that a couple of my morning workouts during January ended in that horrible feeling! For some of my mornings, which consisted of a short strength session in the gym and then a 50 minute swim session, I usually don't eat a full breakfast before since it is super early (I eat something small and then have a bigger re-fuel after). I do eat before my sessions, however every time I have felt nauseous after a swim has been a morning where I didn't fuel properly before hand and then drained the tank past the point of feeling good still. I know I am fairly sensitive when it comes to a huge drop in blood sugar so that could have been the reason for not feeling great after but it would be another thing to take note of and play around with what makes you feel best before and after a swim!  

2013-02-14 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4563355

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Yep, Fraser.  Find what works!  Trial and error.

I'm a Amazon junkie so about 90% of everything I own gets delivered to the house.  Of course this won't help tonight.  But I think Walgreens carries plugs, no sure.

Here's what I use:

Mack's AquaBlock Earplugs - I figured with 167 rating @ 4.5 stars they must be okay.  And they are.

Psi Bands - These are a little flimsy and I keep waiting for them to break but they haven't.  The little wheel doesn't turn so good after you put them on.  Many of laps with these.

2013-02-15 10:46 AM
in reply to: #4618694

Thanks alot. I'll check these out and keep looking.
2013-02-15 2:29 PM

Hi Jenny!

Just turned 40, have been  really out of shape and am wanting to try a sprint. I have worked out in the past, done a couple of 5ks and would love to get into something more serious. I am a mother of 2 children (5 and 7/both girls) and want to break the cycle of obesity in my family. I am about 75 lbs overweight. But I am very active and workout running swimming or elliptical regularly.

So where should I start? there is so much information and programs I am kind of lost. I know I can do any one of the components of a sprint, just putting it all together seems a little more challenging! Any help or direction would be great.

Thanks.

2013-02-15 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Perfect night!  Moon out, twinkling stars, sparkly snow and woodfire smoke in the air.  Other than the ice, it was amazing.  I felt like I was going SOOO much faster than I ended up going.  D'oh!  Do you think it seemed faster because of the effort that went into staying upright was taken away from going forward?  Does anyone else ever get that?  I guess it doesn't much matter... it felt like a perfect night run!

2013-02-16 2:31 AM

User image

Western Slope, Colorado

I have never gotten nauseous while swimming! I don't get motion sickness usually. I'm more likely to feel ill if i haven't eaten enough. Which i'm being very careful about since my last low sugar attack about 3-4 weeks ago.

I have been eating very regularly (aiming for 300 calories about every 3 hours for four meals and two snacks a day) but i still don't think i'm eating enough. I feel hungry every two hours (usually very hungry) and the scale at the gym says i have lost seven pounds since Tuesday. I have trouble believing it, especially considering that same scale said i was more than five pounds heavier than i thought i was on last Saturday. But that's still some loss, and i had lost only one pound between Sat and Tue. I've been trying really hard to stick to the 1800-2000 calories per day range this week. It's hard to do. I splurged today, mostly because i felt like i was dragging until my second lunch (feel like a Hobbit writing that). I have been doing slightly better as far as insomnia. Really need to get to bed right now.

Bike ride tomorrow. My bike needs a tune up pretty badly. I will probably buy some new tires tomorrow.

2013-02-17 7:57 AM

User image

Baton Rouge

So far my weekend is going has planned.  On Fri. I completed my run/bike/run workout and enjoyed it! I had a little technical issue w/a new seat I put on but I knew it wasn't in the right position but thought it was 'close enough' to hold me over for the workout and it was.  Coming off the bike I was beginning to get a calf cramp which I later found out was b/c I was using too much calf on the bike re: off seat position.  The cramp never fully developed but I could tell it wanted to. All in all good effort on both runs and the windy bike ride.

10K on Sat am went relatively well, I ran it at about 90% effort I would say.  Kind of just cruised the last 2mi.  The 1st 4mi felt really good, better than I anticipated to be honest.  The last 2mi were up on the MS levee and into a stiff headwind. I lost time when I got caught by a crossing train! I'm glad I wasn't trying to PR like my running partner, she was pissed about Thomas the Train, I was slightly annoyed because I was ready to be out of the wind! haha All in all, it was a good run, which I needed since I felt like my run has suffered the most w/3 sport training.  Post race I went into one of the running specialty stores and bought compression sleeves.  I'm hoping they'll help w/recovery as well as calf cramp prevention.

The new seat on my bike basically caused me to have a re-fitting of sorts yesterday, who knew a seat would cause so much change in the position! I'm not as excited about riding today as I would normally because my quads are pretty sore, but I'm hoping once I get moving the soreness will be worked out.

Hope everyone is having a good/active weekend!  We've been getting some really beautiful weather here, even as windy as it is, it's still pretty nice for South La. 

2013-02-17 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

I'm glad to hear some of you are having a great weekend of training!  I'm stuck here at work for 12 hours with nothing to do but stretch a little and look out the window.  70*F, slight breeze, blue sky Tongue out.

2013-02-17 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Great work, Tygr!  My workouts fell flat on their butts, but tomorrow is a provincial holiday, so i'll get myself out there for a good run, and some strength work with sledding hill repeats!  Go winter!
2013-02-18 11:05 AM

User image

Baton Rouge
It's time I start looking into tri specific plans, the only problem is I'm a hybrid of sorts, not a beginner biker or runner but a beginner swimmer so I think a beginner plan may be too easy. I may have to mix and match. Any thoughts Jenny or others?

2013-02-18 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Here's a few videos and info pages to help you set up BT for the new guys.  These are a little hard to find for the amount of help they bring, imho.

BT Equipment Tracker

Workout Uploader, Garmin, Timex, Polar, ect.

Goals: Training Log Feature

Customizing Your Training Plans and Workouts - This is probably the best video to help customize and manipulate your planned workouts.  Also, this is listed under the paid features which I'm not sure why unless it wasn't free at one time.  Seems like I used it right off the bat.  Although I could be wrong.

Heart Rate Zone setup

Training log graphs

I think all of these are free, no membership fee required.

2013-02-18 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
I am totally claiming "30 min. hill workout" from the 20 times up the sledding hill today. Factor in snowpants, boots and shin-deep-snow while pulling a kid, it's totally valid.
2013-02-18 6:35 PM
in reply to: #4627182

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

pilot_e - 2013-02-18 2:47 PM I am totally claiming "30 min. hill workout" from the 20 times up the sledding hill today. Factor in snowpants, boots and shin-deep-snow while pulling a kid, it's totally valid.

Amen!

2013-02-19 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4626789

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

tygr_tri - 2013-02-18 11:05 AM It's time I start looking into tri specific plans, the only problem is I'm a hybrid of sorts, not a beginner biker or runner but a beginner swimmer so I think a beginner plan may be too easy. I may have to mix and match. Any thoughts Jenny or others?

Here's a couple of free sprint plan I would recommend.  I had a running/swimming background so I did the bike focus.  I moved it around to fit my needs but it gave me a good starting block.  Also, imho, any of the three sports by itself is different than training all three to put together.

16 Week Sprint, Swim Focus

20 Week Sprint, Swim focus

Give one of them a try, you never know.

+++++++++++

I will give this tip for anyone who imports a plan to their calendar with the idea of moving workouts around by drag and drop to fit your week.  Some of the plans have training notes in the "Overall comments for today" field.  This field DOES NOT move when you drag and drop workouts from one day to the next.  I have no idea why the plans have info in that field.  

It's a pain but I went day by day and "cut/paste" any text in the "Overall comments for today" field to the "Comments" field under "Triathlon Training", where your actual workout goes.  Been trying to load some pics and it's just not letting me in the forums.

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2013-02-19 8:02 PM
2013-02-19 8:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

2013-02-20 4:28 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hey guys! Sorry I've been a little MIA! Construction started at the studio last week (FINALLY!!), so I've been pretty pre-occupied with that. I probably won't have a chance to post much between Thurs - Sun - I'll be at a fitness convention most of that time... I'll pop in when I get a chance.

Keep up the good work, folks!!
2013-02-20 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4618694

Thanks, Monty. I'm leaning towards the Caveman race because i think the T-Shirt will probably be cool (and it fits pretty well into my time slot). Gotta have priorities!!
2013-02-20 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4630914

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

barrykristi - 2013-02-20 7:58 PM Thanks, Monty. I'm leaning towards the Caveman race because i think the T-Shirt will probably be cool (and it fits pretty well into my time slot). Gotta have priorities!!

Cool.  I have a strange work schedule so I try to plan my year way in advance.

2013-02-21 3:54 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hey Monty -

You're racing this weekend, right? Good luck! You feel ready?
2013-02-21 9:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

HAHA!  Thank you very much, yes I am.  I feel.....nervous!  And ready!  Doing a few strides today (when it stops raining) then I'm running the 10K race with my wife on Saturday.  Her first 10K, my low Z1 pace.  Then Sunday is the marathon.

The Cowtown marketing people got smart and started a five year progression medal series, this is the last year.  Each year you get 1/5 of a larger medal for running the HM or M.  This will only make my second year .  There's also a Cowtown Challenge medal for racing Sat and Sun, which I'll get.  Here's a forum link where someone posted a pic, she has four getting her fifth medal on Sunday.  She's is the third post down I think.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=474851&posts=45&start=1

Congrats on your ground breaking, that's exciting!  Keep us posted.

2013-02-22 12:49 PM

New user

Hi Jenny, as with most I'm a beginner, never have done any type of tri, turning 50 this summer, have been somewhat of an athlete, swimming when I was young, still play hockey. Started doing more steady well rounded training about 1 1/2 yrs ago to help a chronic back problem. I have not formalized any program, just found this site so I'm excited about moving forward in a more planned approach. Setting a goal to do a sprint type tri this summer in July. I'm strong in swimming, which I understand most struggle with, my biggest problem is running. 2yrs ago I think I tore a tendon or something up through my calf muscle. My back gets a bit soar also during any type of running, so I have been taking it slow trying to build muscle and endurance. Need to lose some weight also, but figure that will come with training. Where I'm at is, I was doing 1km to 2km in the pool, then either adding a 15 to 20 min stationary bike with changing the tensions. Recently I was on holiday so I worked on treadmill and was able to get my run up to 5km, leg seemed okay but still concerns me. The run felt okay but it took a lot of sweat and work, would rather swim or bike. I will go on the log to track my training. I'm still playing hockey 2 times a week so not sure how to factor that in. Looking forward to some help. I also get worn out, probably because I try to do to much at once. I have purchased some supplements, and am trying to balance out my eating. I have retread some of the fit for life book, and it was a great reminder of balance, eating and not over-exercising to build strength. I sure need a planRob Let me know what I need to do to join if you will have me . Thanks
2013-02-23 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Welcome Robpest.  Jenny's been up to her ears in opening a new training center.  I'm sure she wouldn't mind and we'd love to have you.  I would recommend checkout some of the free beginner plans and learn how to get around BT, logging workouts, viewing planned calendar/blog and actual views, etc.  I posted some links to BT's "how to" articles and videos that should help some.

Background swimmer is a good place to start!  Maybe look at one of the plans with a running focus.  That usually means you'll put in one or two run workouts more a week than swimming or biking.  If you have a race in mind this summer you can import a plan that ends on the race weekend.  It will auto populate for you on your planned calendar.  Lets say the plan has you starting in April but you want some training now.  Then I would import the same plan but only the beginning weeks into the month of March.  It might take a little calculating but son't worry, if you screw it up just "delete" everything and start again.

Any questions just ask. 

2013-02-23 9:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener

Lesson Learned:  Do not use a knobby-tire mountain bike on a trainer!  

But made it work... first i disengaged the 'flywheel' thing from the back wheel... too much vibration and noise.  Next I realized that my back wheel has a massive warp, so perhaps also not a bad idea to not have it on the trainer wheel.  NEXT, tried to gear up to increase the tension that way and found nothing... my gear cables have shredded!  So rode with a bit of tension on my brakes to slow the back wheel down and wasn't just free-spinning.

Wowsers, MUST source a road bike asap.  \there is a 'recycle cycles' type shop in town... going to snoop there to see if \i can score something for a few months until i can try to save a bit of $$ towards a bike on kijiji or something.

Rock on!  40 minutes bike!!  WHOOP!

2013-02-24 12:29 AM

User image

Western Slope, Colorado

Our net was down for a few days but i have been continuing to faithfully train. It still doesn't seem as hard to me as the last time around, which is kind of surprising since i weigh more. I need to get my bike tuned up, though winter seems to be sticking around...snow has driven me to the gym for more than just my swims. I stationary biked 47 mins tonight after work (it estimated 10 mi).

I would consider the swim to be my strongest leg but i'm not the fastest swimmer. I am a very slow runner, people would consider it to be jogging, but that's where my heartrate stays at a comfortable/manageable level. And biking i just cannot seem to get the hang of, it constantly feels like a struggle. When do i get to feel like i'm flying? I feel so slow at everything! xD Still, i think i'm improving overall, it's just baby steps and i'm not a very patient person.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 18