General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2013-11-15 10:55 AM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
I haven't done an IM swim in super cold water, but I did do the HIM in Boise a couple of years ago. Water temp was maybe 53 degrees. That was the race that they cut the bike course due to the cold, wet, and windy conditions. I just swam in my wetsuit, no additional layers necessary. It was cold to start, but I quickly warmed up. Being on land before and after was the colder part, and gloves and booties wouldn't have helped much there.

2013-11-15 11:15 AM
in reply to: papson14

User image

I swim in the San Francisco bay (and other near-by cold water bodies in the northern California area). Water temperatures this summer were between 55-60F and we had folks in their wetsuit and just that. Some even had a neoprene cap, but then there were others who swim without any wetsuit and just their swimsuits. I usually just double up on the swim cap + a wetsuit, and that's about it. It really depends on what *you* think is cold. And like someone else said, it's usually the before and after part that feels colder.
2013-11-15 12:32 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by kmac1346

I haven't done an IM swim in super cold water, but I did do the HIM in Boise a couple of years ago. Water temp was maybe 53 degrees. That was the race that they cut the bike course due to the cold, wet, and windy conditions. I just swam in my wetsuit, no additional layers necessary. It was cold to start, but I quickly warmed up. Being on land before and after was the colder part, and gloves and booties wouldn't have helped much there.

Yup, I heard from people that Boise and CdA were very similar swim experiences that year because of the cold water. Just keep in mind you're in the water for twice as long at CdA so even if the temp is manageable for a 1.2 swim, it might wear on you over the course of 2.4. I wore a neoprene cap at CdA in 54 degree year (2011), but I definitely started getting cold on the second loop and developed some hamstring cramp problems. I thought about the booties, but a lot of people have said they find them more of a problem than a help since they sometimes pool with water. I don't think the race allows gloves under any conditions.
2013-11-15 12:52 PM
in reply to: citaltfort

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
That is a good point about being in the water longer. I have had cramping problems at Boise both years I've done that race. Water is always cool to cold. But, do you think booties and/or cap would help address calf/hamstring cramps? Frankly, I've always viewed it as an issue of my lack of swim fitness rather than a coldness issue. But, something to think about.
2013-11-15 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
My calves have cramped up in all my races. I always just considered another part of my bad swimming and lack of swim fitness as well.. My goal is not to cramp this one. Time in the water and flexibility I hope will be key \. I know it hasn't been due to dehydration so fingers crossed...
2013-11-15 8:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by kmac1346

That is a good point about being in the water longer. I have had cramping problems at Boise both years I've done that race. Water is always cool to cold. But, do you think booties and/or cap would help address calf/hamstring cramps? Frankly, I've always viewed it as an issue of my lack of swim fitness rather than a coldness issue. But, something to think about.

I like the cap from the standpoint of helping my body lose less heat through my head. I don't know that it helps the water feel less cold, but I suspect it helps my core temp stay a bit higher than it otherwise would. I have no proof of that though.

2013-11-16 9:03 AM

User image

Regular
I will also be bringing my neoprene cap. I've used it in the past and it def. helps. Being from FL and a pretty lean guy I'll be taking cold showers and baths to get used to the shock. My hands and feet aren't fans of real cold water. Heck, after my long run yesterday I took an ice bath and was thinking about the water in CDA. The bigger problem was once I got out of the bath, then the cold really settled in. Maybe it'll push me to a PR in an IM swim .

Tom
2013-11-16 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4813476

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC
For cold swims I usually just put on a thicker silicone swim cap under the latex race cap. It's just enough extra protection to prevent brainfreeze headaches. I've never bothered with neoprene.
2013-11-18 7:23 PM
in reply to: ultramike

User image

New user
32 weeks to go. Just finished my first base cycle. One more base cycle at 70.3 hours then a transition step up base cycle. In January it starts to get real.
2013-11-18 9:12 PM
in reply to: psuross92

User image

Originally posted by psuross92

32 weeks to go. Just finished my first base cycle. One more base cycle at 70.3 hours then a transition step up base cycle. In January it starts to get real.

I'm with ya! I'm doing nothing but running until January 1st. After the 1st, I will be adding the swim and bike to my madness. I ran 21 miles today, at a great pace and I'm hoping by January that I won't be adding to my run and I can hit the swim and bike pretty hard. I'm excited for IMCDA and racing in front of the home crowd.
2013-11-19 12:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
I'm looking forward to Jan. 1 as well. Gotta get through the holidays (that doesn't sound right, they will be fun, and it will be nice to spend with family). Going to try to avoid putting on too much weight, and keep some of this base, then get serious around the first of the year. We are having a very mild fall here, so I'm really enjoying riding my bike, and Masters has kept the swimming productive and fun. So, should be all systems go come the new year!

2013-11-21 10:25 AM

User image

Chicago
Hey all,

Got curious to see if a IMCDA 2014 thread had kicked up yet, and look what I found..

Really looking forward to this race. My first IM was CDA last year and since it's my hometown (moved away 10 years ago) we're making an annual thing out of it.

Same as a lot of you I will not be starting seriously until January, for the time being I'm just running for a January half marathon here in Chicago that I like doing every year, then it's back in the pool...and back to the trainer for the coming months. Looking forward to it.

Also, whoever started up this years thread - thanks!
Cheers,
Brian
2013-11-21 7:31 PM
in reply to: Skipjack_50

User image

Welcome! Glad you found the thread. Things should get exciting in a Few months when everyone starts up their training. Have you found lodging yet?
2013-11-21 9:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by Skipjack_50

Hey all,

Got curious to see if a IMCDA 2014 thread had kicked up yet, and look what I found..

Really looking forward to this race. My first IM was CDA last year and since it's my hometown (moved away 10 years ago) we're making an annual thing out of it.

Same as a lot of you I will not be starting seriously until January, for the time being I'm just running for a January half marathon here in Chicago that I like doing every year, then it's back in the pool...and back to the trainer for the coming months. Looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Brian

Welcome to the board! That's a terrific thing that you can return home each year to do an event like this. Great fun!
2013-11-22 6:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
Originally posted by Skipjack_50

Hey all,

Cheers,
Brian

Welcome, it's always great to have someone who's done the race! You will have to pass along some tips and lessons learned from last years race!

Only 12 degrees in Minnesota this morning…brrrr!
2013-11-23 9:04 AM

User image

Chicago
Thanks guys, looking forward to hitting the this race again.

With lodging one nice thing is still having my and my wife's family still up there...so it's nice not having to worry about that aspect.

Though what I'm really looking forward to is actually doing the race this year on a TT bike..last years experience on my road w/aero bars was not as pleasant or fast as it might sound

2013-11-23 9:28 AM
in reply to: mikfinne

User image

Chicago
thank ya sir. My biggest takeaway from last year was I needed to do more hill work on the bike...tough to find hills in the midwest though. The grades never go above 6% but are sustained. I spent a good deal of time last year with the front propped up while in the trainer..candidly I dont think it really did all that much but who knows.
2013-11-23 10:45 AM

User image

I know this won't help you but could help the locals. Highway 95 is not all that safe to ride when training for the race. I found that riding up to the Fernan Saddle does the trick for me. If any local is looking for a good, safe hill, the hill up Fernan Saddle is approximately 6 miles long and goes up approximately 2,000ft
2013-11-24 3:14 PM
in reply to: ultramike

User image

, Washington
I just came across this thread and wanted to say hi.

I'm getting back into tri's and will be doing 2x HIM next year. I'm working towards signing up for CDA 2015 but thought I would volunteer on the course next year, 2014.

I'll be lurking gathering as much intel as I can.
2013-11-24 3:48 PM
in reply to: RandyP

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by RandyP

I'm getting back into tri's and will be doing 2x HIM next year. I'm working towards signing up for CDA 2015 but thought I would volunteer on the course next year, 2014.

Hi! Let us know where you wind up volunteering. Maybe we'll be able to see you on the course.
2013-11-24 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4899693

User image

Elite
I will be lurking around on this thread! I am going to volunteer at CDA this year and plan to race June 2015. I really want to see it all up close and personal before I take the full IM plunge. I'm going to tackle St. George 70.3 in May 2014. Looking forward to following all your progress and learning some things along the way!

2013-11-24 7:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by AndyEWU07

I know this won't help you but could help the locals. Highway 95 is not all that safe to ride when training for the race. I found that riding up to the Fernan Saddle does the trick for me. If any local is looking for a good, safe hill, the hill up Fernan Saddle is approximately 6 miles long and goes up approximately 2,000ft

Definitely will be going over to ride Fernan Saddle... Maybe some of us locals can hook up this Spring to get a few of those training rides in. Another good one just northwest of Spokane is Charles Rd.....it's a burner.

Good to see the excitement beginning to build for CdA.
2013-11-24 8:45 PM

User image

, Washington
Originally posted by citaltfort

Hi! Let us know where you wind up volunteering. Maybe we'll be able to see you on the course.

Sure. I checked the Ironman site and noticed the volunteer section is not up yet and not sure when it goes up.

I hoping to ride the course on the Saturday before, but not sure if feasible due to traffic on 95.

I reserved the hotel today.

2013-11-24 8:54 PM
in reply to: RandyP

User image

Originally posted by citaltfort

Sure. I checked the Ironman site and noticed the volunteer section is not up yet and not sure when it goes up.

I hoping to ride the course on the Saturday before, but not sure if feasible due to traffic on 95.

I reserved the hotel today.

I rode the course last year, the day before the race. There is no protection and I almost got taken out by a logging truck going south on 95. Other then the logging truck incident, it was not too bad... You just have to be ok with cars zooming by you at 65mph. If you decide to ride the course, you will not be the only one... I was one of 50ish athletes on the course. The more fun part of the course to ride is out to Higgins Point. It's the first small loop (13 miles) and is full of athletes biking and running.
2013-11-24 10:27 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by ingleshteechur

I will be lurking around on this thread! I am going to volunteer at CDA this year and plan to race June 2015. I really want to see it all up close and personal before I take the full IM plunge. I'm going to tackle St. George 70.3 in May 2014. Looking forward to following all your progress and learning some things along the way!

Welcome! I just did the volunteer gig at IM AZ and it was a ton of fun. Good luck in St. George. They put on a great race, at least they did as a full IM and I assume it's no different for the 70.3.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by mallen4574
Views: 139177 Posts: 1392

2012-07-13 1:04 PM thedallasceliac

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 384020 Posts: 4272

2011-12-05 11:46 AM RunRene

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by T in Liberty Lake
Views: 135223 Posts: 1313

2012-07-26 8:19 PM smithe68

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Started by Lance 140.6
Views: 3681 Posts: 10

2010-04-08 10:16 PM hoopmaj

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61738 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.
date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.

date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.

date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.